Photography, Not Without Its Dangers. :-o

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I've come to realise, that this can be quite a dangerous hobby at times. 3 of my last 4 trips to Glencoe/Kilchurn have come quite close to ending in disaster.

My 1st trip alone, I fell backwards off the rocks at The Buachaille. I fell about 4 feet, backwards, landing on my back, with arms outstretched to save my camera. With hindsight, quote comical but 10 feet to my left, I'd have been over the big falls.

2nd trip, I got home unscathed.

3rd trip, Kilchurn Castle last June, I ended up having an altercation with a bog, up to my waist in black, cold gooey stuff and brand new boots too.

4th trip, and possibly my closest dice with death ever. I'm not kidding, this was nearly the big one. I'd been out since 3-15 am, firstly to Kilchurn as conditions looked good. I got my reflections but no real light. I gave up and headed off, not deciding until I was almost back at Tyndrum if I was going straight home or popping up to Glencoe. I decided it would be rude not to, so I headed to The Buacahille, got some shots from the river and headed up to Buachaille Etive Beag. I couldn't get parked there so I decided to head back down to Loch Tulla as it looked very still on the way up. I was heading happily along the A82, heading South, just coming off a long straight and into a right hander for me. A car was approaching his side of the road but as I entered the corner, a motorbike appeared alongside the car, overtaking it. It was a do a die thing, literally, the closing speed was too fast and a collision was inevitable. I had 6 inches to my left and took them, anymore, I'd have been in the ditch. The bike was banking at the time but he stood it up and managed to squeeze through (I saw his eyes) but not without significantly damaging my car all along the driver's side. How he stayed on, I'll never know. He just rode off, without stopping, as did the car he was overtaking.

I stopped, looked at my car, phoned the police and waited. The police took a while but to be fair, it's quite remote up there. They were brand new with me, took my details and told me to go home and have a few beers. I took their advice.

Damage to my car is as follows, scrape to front bumper in front of front wheel, front wing badly damaged, windscreen water bottle punctured, wing mirror smashed and cover missing, trim and scrapes as well as dents to the front driver's door, back door much the same. Dented rear wheel arch.

I'm guessing it was a panier strike, as if it had been the bike itself, he'd have been off. 6 inches less clearance, he'd have been over the top and I might not be typing this. My car is 13 years old and I use it for roadtrips like this one. It's old but nice and only 63,500 miles from new but it could well be written off as the market value is probably about £1400.

I'm seriously considering my Glencoe future. ;)

Be safe out there. 21200573_10156568651282892_3365577966108504088_o.jpg 21248276_10156568673097892_3296387799012338864_o.jpg 21325864_10156568548067892_2045563981_n.jpg

Last edited:
OOOH :( That's not nice :(

Glad you are OK - and I trust you took the cops advice and had a' wee refreshment' - for medicinal purposes of course

Glad you're OK, and well done for making room. It's inexcusable to strike another vehicle and not stop.

If you have fully comp insurance you may be able to buy the car back from them or negotiate a deal with them, be careful if they write the car off as this often cancels the insurance too, nasty if you have just renewed it.
Glad you're ok and didn't wipe out the biker, regardless of fault you would have felt bad about it.
Matt

try " Chips Away". my wife scrapped the front of her car on the garage wall. The repair makes it look as it never happend
Door panels look ok to repair and the front wing shouldn't be a proplem to get them to sort it either. Wing mirror and side repeater you could replace yourself
My bet is that big dent can be sucked out without much problem. as for cost , is it worth it to you to get repaired ?

going through insurance and gets repaired there will be a marker on it when come time to sell- ie accident repair
From OCt 2017

Cat A: Scrap
Cat B: Break
Cat S: Structurally damaged repairable
Cat N: Non-structurally damaged repairable

Last edited:
Unfortunately, recent events have made me realise I need cameras on my vehicles, which has proven handy as on friday we had a mercedes decide he didn't want to queue so used the hard shoulder to undertake a line of cars and then push in, damaging the car in front. Footage provided to their insurance company and the police.

Edit - I have a S7000 go pro equivilant in the mx-5 but in the TVR have a Koonlung k1s system, front and rear cameras

Last edited:
I muted mine as well, having "er indoors" nagging is bad enough live, let alone on a video .

Ah but if muted, how do you hear the continuously repeated registration that some insist on calling out :D I thought the de rigour thing was to replace swearing with the lousy music soundtrack

Glad your OK! I don't think the damage looks too bad to repair. I'd phone around a few body shops to get a quote on a fix. I reckon it could cost £300-500.
Since your car has only done 63,500 miles - it'd be a shame to get it scrapped.

Cheers guys and thanks for the well wishes. I'm ok but I do keep waking with a jump , hearing the thud and the crunchy sound afterwards.

I really wish I'd had a dashcam, he'd have been bang to rights but I still probably wouldn't have got his reggy, being a bike. Maybe though the driver of the car that the bike was overtaking would've got the reggy and the car's reggy might've been on the dashcam.

The insurance asked me for pics of the damage and those pics are now with their engineers, so we'll see. The lady I spoke did say it will probably be a write off as far as they are concerned but that's beacause they use new parts and top end repairers. I'm guessing 800 quid to but it right by real world repairers.

Last edited:
Ah well, the car is being written off. I've had an offer that can't be refused and was suprisingly good, about what I'd sell it for privately. My excess is only £100 and with an MOT looming too, it's a no brainer.

There is also suspension damage which isn't apparent at first glance.

Bye bye car, it was good while it lasted. :(

I drive for a living and Front and rear cameras have become a must have. You can get some good cameras now from places like Halfords that will do what you need them to.

Have a look on Youtube at a British guy who goes by the title Techmoan for ideas.

Personally I have a set of Blackvue cameras that record in 60fps 1080p, they have already given me evidence when a lorry driver deliberately tried to crush me into a central barrier because I refused to let him in front of me at an accident. Letting him in would have put me in serious danger. Oh and yes he has been cautioned by the Police.

I drive for a living and Front and rear cameras have become a must have. You can get some good cameras now from places like Halfords that will do what you need them to.

Have a look on Youtube at a British guy who goes by the title Techmoan for ideas.

Personally I have a set of Blackvue cameras that record in 60fps 1080p, they have already given me evidence when a lorry driver deliberately tried to crush me into a central barrier because I refused to let him in front of me at an accident. Letting him in would have put me in serious danger. Oh and yes he has been cautioned by the Police.

I so, so wish I'd had a camera too Chris. I got a GoPro for my birthday 7 days after the accident.

Back