weekly Purplepleasers 2016 52 Flora

Hi Lee

Happy - great find. The B&W treatment perfectly emphasises the text and the smiling outine.
Abandoned - lovely simple shot and a novel take on the theme. Probably the only time you'd really hope the building was abandoned.

Thanks for the really cool comments, means a great deal, least my vision or the way my mind works is showing in my photographs.

Camouflaged is another very quick grab shot, this guy was reading as the shop was pretty much empty, so I decided to walk round and get a better angle to get the book in shot too, bingo the image below popped into the view finder. Not as sharp as I would of liked but never the less quite pleased. I have another sort of planned but might just leave this as my entry.

TP 52 WK - 6 Camouflaged by L D Middleton, on Flickr

Last edited:
He does kinda melt into the background Lee. I'd have him down as skiving though :D

I was gutted I didn't get him reading, would have been a brilliant shot. The chap might have been reading the accounts book or how to fool photographers in looking busy. Haha

Not sure what you mean, its a shop assistant behind a counter, surrounded by books and other stuff. I saw this as camouflaged,
Don't want to spoil your thread and may be I'm just being overly sensitive, did he consent to this? I often feel that "street" borders on the exploitative, sorry.

Hi Chris, dont worry about spoiling my thread, say what you feel. I didn't ask for consent, the photo would look false otherwise, i feel that i didn't exploit this chap for this photo.. Its only the same as not asking to take a picture of a house, car or pretty much anything else. I Do draw the line at homeless people unless i was brave enough to engage them in conversation, i would certainly buy them a hot drink etc for their time. This is the good thing about this 52 challenge and photography in general. Varied photos and constructive feedback.

Last edited:
Hi. Love your Happy photo and your Abandoned shot made me laugh. It's definitely a good spot and clever thinking. Your Camouflage I actually like. Understand that it's not as sharp as u would like to but it took me a while to spot the guy. Definitely works in B&W.

Not sure I see any exploitation here...if he were homeless on the street, maybe.

It's not up there with the best but nice bit of lateral thinking and better than I've got so far :)

Cheers.

I'm not seeing or sensing any exploitation here either.
The assistant does kind of disappear amongst the surrounding merchandise.
I'd say well seen Lee.

Thanks again for commenting. Everyone is different thats why I like the feedback so much, i generally take a more random type of shot, than the norm.

Susie i took this with my x100T, manual focus, f5.6 (usually i set it at f8), 7ft, and riding the auto ISO, LCD, etc all off, perfect camera.

Hi Lee I like the thinking behind the image at first I did question if it fitted the theme but it does great shot and well seen

Yeah! of course he's camouflaged in amongst all that shopper. Wouldn't it have been funny if he were standing under the "Click & Collect" sign? Bravo for taking the shot.

Yes he does blend in for sure the place is rammed full of stuff my eye was drwn to those dusters first I then saw him.

Gaz

Thanks, Clive and Gary, yes 46 more to go, I have missed my danger shot, as the lights let me down yesterday whilst in rush hour traffic. Gutted. Think this danger theme maybe a difficult one without resulting to something easy or obvious . Loving this 52 challenge and everyone's interpretation on each theme.

Camouflaged photo definitely works for me. His face does stand out among the masses of inanimate items but he is so surrounded by them that he does seem to blend in quite well, especially the way you've tried to place him between the bookshelves. Nice job. :)

Nice spot for Camouflage, Lee. And I like the B&W processing which really adds to the shot for the theme. Well done.

The only thing which is bugging me is the DOF - how come the Click & Collect is in focus but the calendar below it isn't?? I'm confused!

Hiya, thanks for the comment, I can only assume it's to do with the speed of the short or the zone type focusing I was using, probably why I think it's not sharp enough over all.

Hi Mandy, thanks for commenting. I was unsure whether to crop a little off one side or even adjust the brightness so the wall/house was more visible. Decisions.

Loving dangerous, made me smile, great take on the theme and a good one for your illuminator project.

One thing I've been wondering with these sign shots is that it looks like the pole is coming out of the top, not a crit just interested to know?

Hi Chris, thanks for commenting, some of the signs have been attached to lamp posts and other have their own post, My aim is/was to give the sign to dominate the image and try to give it something to give it scale or more meaning. I might edit them again from Raw files to extract more from them.

A tad more context but not too much, I agree that you should keep the sign dominating the image. Keep going, like your bus project, I think it's a good idea.

Hi I quite like the lack of background detail puts the emphasis on the sign and adds a bit of mystery, have had a look at your project some interesting images there too

Liz beat me to it there Lee .... Your thread is so interesting ....loving your interpretation of the topics ....good to see something so different.
Hi Lee, you always seem to come up with something different and your 'dangerous' is no exception - great:clap:
Hi I quite like the lack of background detail puts the emphasis on the sign and adds a bit of mystery, have had a look at your project some interesting images there too

Thanks for the kind comments, hopefully I can continue in the same way,

Back