weekly Purplepleasers 2016 52 Flora

Camo - different and definitely made me think, but it works and suits the PP well

Dangerous - I like it, again it made me thing and took a while for my brain to take it in, but I like it and the strong central positioning :)

Topical - nicely seen and captured, I like the image and think you have done really well for a shot from the car !

The living world - fantastic - Nature really is a force to be reckoned with isnt she ! I also like the way it could be a vein / animal skin (both of which would still be on theme)

Topical - bang on theme, well spotted and possibley a little scary :clap:

Living world - love the different take on the theme it made me stop and look!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the super comments, makes me happy that I am getting my ideas across. Regarding the shadows I have no idea how i would sort them out, can that be done in Aviary on Flickr or would i need more powerful software,

Also i have not forgot to comment but have had virtually no time to do so.

Thanks again for looking at my thread and commenting

Topical....Well seen. I'd never have thought of it.

The Living World....Again, very well spotted!

Possibly my favourite of the week, I do like a bit of texture and they are like veins I wouldn't change anything about it :clap:

Topical - I like it! It’s topical because it’s a new movie out and at the same time, the title could be a real topical headline in an alternate universe. I didn’t notice the “wonkiness” until I read what you said, mostly because the main focus of the image was quite captivating. :)

Living World - Very nice B&W. And a very unique take on the theme. I like the lights and shadows in the image.

That's really clever. It took me a second to get it at first, but it's a very thought provoking image.
Well done
Topical....Well seen. I'd never have thought of it.

The Living World....Again, very well spotted!
Possibly my favourite of the week, I do like a bit of texture and they are like veins I wouldn't change anything about it :clap:
Topical - good spot for theme
living world - unusual take on the theme well thought of.
Topical - I like it! It’s topical because it’s a new movie out and at the same time, the title could be a real topical headline in an alternate universe. I didn’t notice the “wonkiness” until I read what you said, mostly because the main focus of the image was quite captivating. :)

Living World - Very nice B&W. And a very unique take on the theme. I like the lights and shadows in the image.

thanks again for your kind comments,

Part of me likes it and part of me doesn't.....I think the b&w processing is great and it's a really nice sharp image well exposed. The reflections leave me wanting to see more of what's going on inside and to know how closely or not it fits the theme. As it stands maybe it's a bit of a tenuous one!....

Chris Hi, I feel the same, might try a edit but just using Flickr's aviary is difficult to get right, this image is a dual one for a Inside Outside theme too. I was trying to capture that I have a chrome dome and the hair cut sign, combining both for the Spiky theme. Thanks for commenting, maybe something else will catch my attention in the next few days.

Hi there Lee. You do come up with some very creative takes. As comments above suggest this one is sort of getting lost in all the details if you get my drift. "Chrome dome" I like that description :)

Gaz

I have to say I think the idea is excellent but I think it is too well balanced between reflection and interior if that makes sense, either more or less reflection may lend a bit more clarity. From your description may be you were trying to convey too many things in one image. Great processing as usual though.

I'm not quite sure on this one either TBH Lee as the others have mentioned, too much reflection,
Well processed though (y)

Hi Lee. I suppose many a haircut has an element of spikiness about it and on that basis it does fit but it is not an obvious link with the theme. An interesting image in it's own right with both inside and outside details coming through nicely .... including the selfie. :clap:

Hi there Lee. You do come up with some very creative takes. As comments above suggest this one is sort of getting lost in all the details if you get my drift. "Chrome dome" I like that description :)

Gaz
I have to say I think the idea is excellent but I think it is too well balanced between reflection and interior if that makes sense, either more or less reflection may lend a bit more clarity. From your description may be you were trying to convey too many things in one image. Great processing as usual though.
I'm not quite sure on this one either TBH Lee as the others have mentioned, too much reflection,
Well processed though (y)
Have to agree with the others with regard to the spiky topic Lee ....but it is definitely an Inside/Outside. Yet another one of your fascinating shots ....keep them coming :)
Not sure if it fits the theme, but it certainly makes you look - an interesting shot as always:)
Hi Lee. I suppose many a haircut has an element of spikiness about it and on that basis it does fit but it is not an obvious link with the theme. An interesting image in it's own right with both inside and outside details coming through nicely .... including the selfie. :clap:
Blimey Lee... not so sure about this one mate, struggling to see the 'Spiky' , but still got you out with your camera thinking, which is the main point of the 52 for me, box ticked (y)

Thanks for the critique, I had this idea for the barbers shop straight away, me being bald and the hair cut neon sign. I took two photos this one posted and one I deleted as it had the shop sign but was unbalanced. I should really buy Lightroom which might help bring out the hair cut sign. plant and tree when processing it. This is the Jpeg that was in monochrome setting so the RAW would be colour?. The colour version may be better at getting my thoughts across.

I took this as well on the same day, more reflection than Spiky, suppose the tree is spiking the water.

Fuji X100T

The Wam - Theme 25 Reflections by L D Middleton, on Flickr

The most important part about this journey is getting out and about with my camera and the themes help me greatly.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Lee... an interesting take for spiky. Personally, I'm not getting the link (sometimes less obvious is good, but there are limits!) and I also find the amount in the scene inside and outside to be overbearing. I think the reflection can work well - if each of inside and outside are less busy. So I'd say it's a great idea and a concept well worth sticking with, but keep looking for quieter scenes. The other thing you might want to take with you is a polarising filter - by rotating it just a bit, you can reduce (but not remove) the amount of reflection, without changing the "inside" image. This can be handy if you just want a hint of that reflection. It might work well here?

Hiya Paul, I had never thought of using a Polarising filter, used to have polarising glasses for fishing years ago. Thinking about it now I might need three as I have the WCL and TCL, not sure of the thread sizes. Thanks for the input, I do appreciate any thoughts and hints and tips.

Hi, I like what you do normally and usually get what you are hinting at but I am a little lost on the first one, but I do admire your imagination so please don't change your thought process.
The tree I do like and get the idea behind it, nice work as always

Having a bit of a catch up.

Firstly I'd like to agree with many others that it's nice seeing your different take on the theme each week, they are usually very different from the standard and your ideas are always interesting.

Camouflage - he's definitely hidden among all the products
Danger - A good take on the theme, I also enjoyed looking at the series on flickr. A very good idea for a project with some nice shot,
Topical - Another one that was well seen. I wouldn't have thought of it but it works on both levels that you intended.
Living World - The power of nature well documented,
Spiky - Lots to look at in the inside/outside shot but not sure it works for spiky, like the tree reflection one though (I initially thought it might be the reflection of the tree in the inside/outside one that you had intended for spiky)

The most important part about this journey is getting out and about with my camera and the themes help me greatly.

I agree with you on this, hope you continue to keep getting out and look forward to your unique take on future themes.

Hi Lee, I like your thinking for the first image after reading your explanation, but I think the second one is better for this theme, with the strong points and contrast. I agree that one of the best things about this challenge is getting out there with your camera and thinking about and taking images that you wouldn't normally consider.

hi lee... liking your overall processing of the mono.. you do seem to favour centering the subject... love abandoned though.... plenty of empty space around it for it to ooze the theme... spiky loses me... but miniature i see what you wanted and i do like it... the taller ones 'arm' almost on their shoulder, crazy man!!

I like your second spiky shot a lot better. The b&w conversion is good and I like the reflections. Tree spiking the water is a good take! ;)

Excellent idea for the first spiky shot, but I think the reflection is quite busy (maybe too busy). The second shot well executed, and as always I like your B&W conversions.

I like the branches in the water and the texture at the bottom.

Spiky- Sorry don't like it maybe if you could see more of either part as others have suggested also not sure why it's spiky. Reflections however I really do like and it is spiky. A much better shot for my taste.

Back