weekly Purplepleasers 2016 52 Flora

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
HI

Not done anything like this before, currently trying a seperate little project (on the buses). Hopefully will keep me interested during the year.

Week 01 - Metal
Week 02 - Captive
Week 03 - Miniature
Week 04 - Happy
Week 05 - Abandoned
Week 06 - Camouflaged
Week 07 - Danger(ous)
Week 08 - Topical
Week 09 - The Living World
Week 10 - Spiky
Week 11 - Artificial
Week 12 - Personal
Week 13 - Effort
Week 14 - Technology
Week 15 - Horizontal
Week 16 - Vast
Week 17 - Rough
Week 18 - Covered
Week 19 - Colourful
Week 20 - Entry/Entrance
Week 21 - Size
Week 22 - Forgotten
Week 23 - Stone
Week 24 - Simple
Week 25 - Sign
Week 26 - Flora
Week 27 -
Week 28 -
Week 29 -
Week 30 -
Week 31 -
Week 32 -
Week 33 -
Week 34 -
Week 35 -
Week 36 -
Week 37 -
Week 38 -
Week 39 -
Week 40 -
Week 41 -
Week 42 -
Week 43 -
Week 44 -
Week 45 -
Week 46 -
Week 47 -
Week 48 -
Week 49 -
Week 50 -
Week 51 -
Week 52 -

Lee

Last edited:
thanks for the comments, I am bound to post in the wrong place

Last edited:
23848913590_b91b935766_c.jpg
Pedal to the metal by L D Middleton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Heya PP.
Can I recommend you take a quick look at the how-to's (<-- Linky) as none of yourlinks seem to work. Also, you'll want to post your shot in to this thread to help people comment. The mods can fix it for you, but you'll want to get the hang of it yourself :)

Right, onto the pedal shot: It seems to be nicely sharp and you've used a shallow DoF to blur the tarmac somewhat.

The composition could probably do with some work though (just my opinion, feel free to ignore or tell me to shut up ;) )
I don't think that a central composition is making the most of it, and viewed directly downwards doesn't really allow for any extra interest in the shot
I think I would have tried some diffrent angles, getting the bottom bracket and maybe more of the bike into the shot. I would also have tried placing the pedal on one of the thirds too.
Maybe clean up the leaves too somewhat?

Welcome to the 52 madhouse :)

I have been trying to do the links but i can't get them to work. Thanks for the input about my image, I might change or add another but this was a quick grab at work. With it being a play on a phrase i decided that the pedal would be sufficent. I have no software apart from what Flickr has inbuilt to clean up the leaves etc, so not sure wht affect it will have.

Thanks again

HI Lee, I've fixed the link for you,
but it really easy once you have done it once.
From the top, click the post number bottom right, ( # 8 in this instance) from your thread,
copy the top URL from the pop up box, highlight the word link on the main page by left click and drag, click the chain symbol
in the reply box, paste the url into the pop up box, and click save.

Have a look HERE its a " by the numbers" guide.

thanks so much for that, I am a knuckle dragger haha, I am at work so no Flickr access so messing on my phone then on the works computer.

Last edited:
I am at work so no Flickr access so messing on my phone then on the works computer.
You can always attach a file direct from your device, by clicking up load a file button, bottom right, but make sure its a max of 1024 px on the longest side, and no more than 350kb or you will get an error message.

I have been trying to do the links but i can't get them to work. Thanks for the input about my image, I might change or add another but this was a quick grab at work. With it being a play on a phrase i decided that the pedal would be sufficent. I have no software apart from what Flickr has inbuilt to clean up the leaves etc, so not sure wht affect it will have.

Thanks again
By "clean up the leaves" I meant brush them away before taking the shot (you should have seen the mank surrounding the lock on my 'metal' shot before I tidied it up!)

If you're no image editing software at the moment, it's worth grabbing Goggle's "picasa", which whilst fairly basic is free and has a good number of the tools you'll need initially. Obviously there are loads of other tools out there, free and not so free, but as a starting point you could do far worse.

Welcome to the challenge. Think I would have preferred to see the colour Image. A quick glance made me think the background was carpet. On looking closer I realised it was Tarmac.. Would have been good to brush the leaves away. A good start though. We all see things differently.. Look forward to seeing future images.

Thanks for the replies, the bike has been at work for ages, flat tyres the lot. I might get chance tomorrow to do a re-shoot. The colour was just a bit flat, will try the picasa. I really need to get a decent home PC for Lightroom or Elements.

HiLee, great effort for "Metal". I love the composition but I would be tempted to clear the background up by removing the pieces of grass etc. :)

Hello Lee,

Love your profile pic! Metal...nice shot, right on theme. I would have tried to make the pedal stand out a bit more in PP, and perhaps have it a little more off centre. A closer shot would have brought out the detail in the pedal a bit more, there's plenty there if you zoom in. I like the inclusion of the leave and 'ephemera' as well, so well done Sir!

Best,
David

Hello Lee,

Love your profile pic! Metal...nice shot, right on theme. I would have tried to make the pedal stand out a bit more in PP, and perhaps have it a little more off centre. A closer shot would have brought out the detail in the pedal a bit more, there's plenty there if you zoom in. I like the inclusion of the leave and 'ephemera' as well, so well done Sir!

Best,
David

Hi David, me and my 4 1/2 year old grandson were fooling around and he said leave it on as your hair has stopped growing, baldy. haha.

Last edited:
Hi Lee

I like the shot and old bikes as an aside make for interesting subjects, well to me anyway! I like the B&W but would agree that it needs to be closer in and perhaps some slight PP to bring the pedal out more.

Good start, sir :)

Not sure how this one slipped by me so apologies for the late comment Lee. That's a nice image for Metal - like the worn and scratched surface - makes for great character and texture. I agree with Susie about a closer crop &/or the removal of the distractions in the bg but a great image for all that and a terrific start to your '52.:clap:

I like that a lot as it is to be honest, great detail on the pedal with lovely fall off in depth of field, the more I look at it the more it looks almost 3d, I can nearly see the pedal floating out of the picture at me.
Dont think that would have worked anywhere near as well in colour.

Hi, I quite like the pedal just needs a little PP to separate it from the floor, but as you don't have any program for it i don't know what to suggest

Hi Lee,
The pedal is a good choice for the theme and I think the black and white treatment works really well. Liz

A fan of bikes as well Lee? Nice picture, the pedal definitely speaks a history with all of that wear and tear

Good luck with your 52's,
Oscar

Liking the idea of this shot, and the viewpoint; only something doesn't quite work. Either the pedal is not dominant enough in the frame, or the bg is not blurred sufficiently to isolate the object of importance.

Had you have had the pedal at the top of its axis rather than the bottom, you would have been able to get more separation between pedal and tarmac.

Spooks

Welcome to the 52 :welcome: and look forward to following your development through this thread. I learnt loads when I did my first one in 2009. Back then I used acdsee free for editing as it was very easy to use as a beginner.

Critique has already been addressed above so just left fo me to say ENJOY!!!

Hi,

That looks like a well used pedal, I like the detail you have got in. I like the leaves/grass in the background but think I would have moved the branch/stick that goes directly under the pedal as it is a bit distracting to me.

Good start to the 52.

welcome Lee

I've studied your pedal and I like it! Nice details a sense of DOF but an overall greyness I find slightly dull.

Back