weekly Quicksnapper's 52 week challenge ... Week 19 - "Household" added

Great image for mouth, much braver than me, horses freak me out. Spot on theme.

Hi Sara, nice pic of the horse good idea to get down low though rather you than me, it's certainly a different view
I like horses but do find them quite scary because they are so big, not as scary as cows though

Like the horse. Was it a gift? Should you be looking into it's mouth? :) ;)

Mouth, nice sharp and detailed in all the right places.
But don't horses look weird in close up like that? :D

Hi Sara - mouth - can't add anything to what's already been said, lovely shot and even if he is a big softy, well done for getting in so close

Super angle super shot & brave I'm another for scared stiff but such a beautiful animal.
I was tricked into riding one last year just a few small laps round a paddock i think the riding position i used was called terrified.

Haha love your shot for mouth Sara [emoji4]..... I honestly never knew horses had moustaches!

Just gone through your thread. Some very interesting work here and all the photos fit the themes really well. I really like the COMPANIONS shot, a lot going on but your eyes are drawn to the ladies. Similarly in VERTICAL there's a lot of stuff but you end up being drawn to the statue.

Hi Sarah :)

Sorry for not getting around for a bit :)

Watery - Tough choice, really liking the big splash/ripple and the line created by the posts, although I prefer the water in the top 1/2 of the B&W version, I'm going to choose the punchy Colour shot for all round grabbing power :)

Bold - Nice take on the theme, but I'm not so certain with the angle, the text is a bit tough on the eyes, really liking the colours again though :)

Relax - Nice combination, I'd prefer a darker background to the left, but nicely set up and liking the reflections!!

Vertical - Really like this one, good lead in lines and detail/grain on the wooden posts :)

Mouth - Oooo I love this one, cracking angle, perfect DoF, super detail and punchy colours throughout - Spot On :clap:

Crowd ... that's an odd one for me as I'm not fond of crowds, generally. However, looking at it another way ... To quote Wordsworth ...

I wandered lonely as a cloud, Which floats on high o'er vale and hills, when all at once I saw a crowd, A host of golden daffodils ......

Host of Daffs by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

So, here's a "host of golden daffodils" ...

Shot in a tent in natural light, a bit of PP in elements and a dry brush filter applied to give it a bit more texture.

Lovely take on the subject and so apt for the time of year. Have to say this looks a billion times better on Flickr for some reason. Maybe there's some auto cropping that has smudged this version. Or maybe it's my old eyes. Even the flickr one looks slightly OOF but it could very well be me!

I can't detect the dry brush filter which means you've done a really good job there. The lighting is nice and subtle and gentle, and the choice of dark background against the yellow flower works really well. I also like the dead head which adds interest to the shot. Little things like this vastly improve a photo for me. Even the square crop looks good.

Sara that's so lovely, and a perfect fit for the theme.

I know what you mean about real crowds....I avoid them where possible!

Crowd, very nice Sara, and a little poetry thrown in as well, what more could you want? (y)

Lovely take on the subject and so apt for the time of year. Have to say this looks a billion times better on Flickr for some reason. Maybe there's some auto cropping that has smudged this version. Or maybe it's my old eyes. Even the flickr one looks slightly OOF but it could very well be me!

I can't detect the dry brush filter which means you've done a really good job there. The lighting is nice and subtle and gentle, and the choice of dark background against the yellow flower works really well. I also like the dead head which adds interest to the shot. Little things like this vastly improve a photo for me. Even the square crop looks good.

Thanks Ian. I tried a bit more lighting but the natural daylight sufficed for this one. I can see what you mean about the focussing. It looks spot on on my monitor, but seems to have suffered a bit being "transported".

Sara that's so lovely, and a perfect fit for the theme.

I know what you mean about real crowds....I avoid them where possible!

Thanks Ruth. A bit "left field" but - like you - real crowds (of people) are to be avoided at all costs!! Looking forward to seeing what this Friday throws at us.

Crowd, very nice Sara, and a little poetry thrown in as well, what more could you want? (y)

Thanks for the comments Cobra. Not like me to come over all poetic!

A jug of daffs ... cool arrangement ... lovely textures. (y)

I thought it has been slightly over processed but might be my tired eyes :thinking:

On theme and nice vibrant colours. I nice idea and one I'm thinking about doing myself, so I'll have copied you and @blondie606 :)

Cheers.

Hi, Don't hate me but it does look a little over processed :exit:

Nice composition especially the loose one on the ground, seems to be a lot of daffodils about this week

Hi Sara,

crowd - I completely agree with you that they're best avoided. This is a nice take on the theme. The composition works really well and it doesn't look overprocessed to me (but I've got no idea what a dry brush filter does). :)

Vertical - A very poignant take on the theme and a subject well suited to the mono conversion which has sufficiently strong contrast to add to that feel

Mouth - great ultra wide angle shot to accentuate the horses head and especially the mouth. There’s some haloing around the head (especially the ear) but exposure is always difficult with these shots given the bright sky.

Crowd - Daffodils a plenty this week. Good shot and processing. I do feel the base needed some shadowing or texture just to ground the subject though. Other than that the exposure of the flowers and vase is spot on.

Who would have thought a pic of daffodils would have me reading poems by William Wordsworth
Nice picture maybe a touch bright on the left but nice

Hi Sara

Mouth...thought you might have a horse as the star for the theme....plenty of detail, love the angle (y)

Crowd....whoever mentioned that it looks better on flickr is bang right, most odd but you've got great exposure on the daffs & vase( possibly a hint of blue on the vase though)....just a little niggle.....lower lhs of frame is a patch of whatever is behind the black bg you used .......

Still hanging on in there ... Week 12 - Close-up. Just looking around for something to take a close up of ... and found this on the shelf in the downstairs loo! Interesting shape and texture ... worth a go, but might use this theme for my re-shoot next week when I hope to have a bit more free time.

Shot in natural light, Canon 6D, 100mm macro lens, tripod mounted, 5 image stack on Helicon Focus ....

SeaShell2 by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Thats close enough Sara. Interesting textures and shapes (y)
But it does look a little soft, will it sharpen up a bit?

edit I ran it through P/S with a levels boost and USM.
It does look a little better IMO.

Thats close enough Sara. Interesting textures and shapes (y)
But it does look a little soft, will it sharpen up a bit?

edit I ran it through P/S with a levels boost and USM.
It does look a little better IMO.

Thanks Cobra. Apparently I need to go and get my eyes tested (according to my OH!!) because he thinks it's soft too, but it looks fine to me. Need to make a trip to Specsavers!!! Don't have a full version of PS at my disposal, only Lightroom 5 and Elements 9, so do my best with those. Might make this theme my re-shoot theme for next week and have another go either at the shell or something else to see if I can do better. :)

Sara ... nice image, nice detail but I agree a quick sharpen improves it.

EDIT ... didn't see your post there above mine Sara. I use Paint.Net, a freebie ... and I took the liberty of copy & pasting you pic into pdn ... a quick slide on the Sharpen slider makes a difference. I've also been googling Helicon Focus ... interesting. :)

Last edited:
Elements 9 should do the job nicely Sara (y)

Sara ... nice image, nice detail but I agree a quick sharpen improves it.

EDIT ... didn't see your post there above mine Sara. I use Paint.Net, a freebie ... and I took the liberty of copy & pasting you pic into pdn ... a quick slide on the Sharpen slider makes a difference. I've also been googling Helicon Focus ... interesting. :)

i'm planning to have another go at it from scratch over the next few days. Been very tied up this week so this was a very quick effort and probably deserved a bit more attention than I gave it. Take 2 should be here soon(ish!) ...

Helicon Focus is a very cool bit of kit. I especially love the way that you just sit there and watch it merge the images ... The shell pic was taken with my macro lens which is probably not the best thing for the job given its extremely small DoF ... around 2mm at f8.0!!! Still ...I embarked on this challenge to try to learn new stuff, try new things and explore the technical possibilities of my kit, so that was a lesson learned. Onwards and upwards. :)

Hey but most shots benefit from a little sharpen in PP before posting ... and I think that's all that's needed.

Hi Sara, nice image, and a lovely pattern in the shell. I agree with the comments about sharpening. I use LR5 to sharpen mine and it seems to do a good job :)

Hi Sara, nice image, and a lovely pattern in the shell. I agree with the comments about sharpening. I use LR5 to sharpen mine and it seems to do a good job :)

Thanks Lorraine. I'm going to have another go at it and hope it's better next time. My OH has just "kindly" suggested that if this week's theme is Blurred or OOF I should be just fine!!!! (As I said above, it looked ok to me ... Need to get my specs adjusted!! ...) anyhow, it's Friday so onwards and upwards!

The slight softness has been covered, but I do like the subject :)
Hope you'll post the reshoot.

So ...Week 13 already ... where is this year going to?

Here's a re-shoot of last week's theme and subject as so many folks thought it was soft. Hope it's better this week, from a slightly different angle ... Otherwise the same approach, an 8 image stack using Helicon Focus then PP'd a bit in Elements 9 with a bit of sharpening.

Shell_v2 by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

... and for good measure, here's one for "Machine" as well, while I had the Macro gear out ...

Chrono1 by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Excellent re-shoot Sara. You can really see the texture on that shell.
Nice work on the watch for "Machine" too. I like your composition, not including the entire face....works for me. :)

Hi Sara, love the reshoot - you can see all the detail now.

Machine - nice shot, and sharp too. I love looking at the inside of watches - it's amazing how thy put all those tiny parts together

Back