weekly Quicksnapper's 52 week challenge ... Week 19 - "Household" added

Watery: The colour one for me although I do like the monochrome version. The blue of the water is delightful and it's a shame to lose that my the B&W conversion. Having said that, if I you had only posted the monochrome I would have loved it too.

I prefer the colour version too Sara. Glad your OH is a good "rock thrower" - that made me smile.

I would like to see it without the ripples. I can't help but wonder whether nice calm water and three posts would make for a stronger image. Or would it be too cliche'd? At least your resident rock thrower would get a day off... ;)

Great photos for watery. The mono wins for me. It just seems to have a bit punch compared to the colour version. I like the diagonal of the three posts drawing my eye through the photo and into that big 'crater' of ripples (y)

Great photos for watery. The mono wins for me. It just seems to have a bit punch compared to the colour version. I like the diagonal of the three posts drawing my eye through the photo and into that big 'crater' of ripples (y)

Thanks Lee, and everyone, for your positive comments. This was a bit of a departure for me. Maybe this challenge is helping me get in touch with my more creative side. Roll on tomorrow.

Hi Sara, wonderful images from the start. (y)
Your second watery is my favourite, great timing on the shot, wonderful colours !!
Looking forward to the rest !! :)

B & W for me just seems to show the details more in the ripples.

Week 7 ... Bold.

"Bold" is a word with many definitions, but the ones I like the best refer to bravery ... courageous, brave, fearless, gallant, intrepid ...

So, here's a reference to some men who define Bold for me ... taken this morning at The National Memorial Arboretum.

Basra Wall by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

First and foremost love the thought! Still need to get there and have a good look, very moving. especially when you start looking at the ages, although the ages on the world war memorials are frighteningly young.
Fits the theme well in my view Sara

First and foremost love the thought! Still need to get there and have a good look, very moving. especially when you start looking at the ages, although the ages on the world war memorials are frighteningly young.
Fits the theme well in my view Sara

Thanks Steve. Not great photographically to be honest, but the sentiment is there I think. There was a big group of people around the wall when i got there, so a quick grab shot really. The ages are scary, and as you say, some of those to men who died in WW1 show them to be little more than boy in their teens a lot of the time.

The NMA is a great place to go anyway, but especially so for photographers with a great number of memorials of all kinds, people, events and other things to keep you looking all day. We're fortunate to live quite close, but if you can get there, I'd recommend it.

A very fitting image for the theme Sara.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

There's a TP meet at the NMA in a few week :) Linky

On theme and nice detail in parts. I might have taken a face on or maybe closer and in B&W. Personal preference, I guess.

Cheers.

Great to see a different interpretation of the theme. Very poignant

Watery - B&W version works best for me, seems more aged than the colour one

Bold - fitting to the theme, wonder if a B&W version would work here as well

Bold - nice interpretation on the theme. Looking forward to the meet in a couple of weeks, although I'm not sure how much photography I'll be doing, I tend to get a bit choked at these places.

Bold. Have to agree with others, fits the theme beautifully and a place I'd like to visit.

Bold - nice interpretation on the theme. Looking forward to the meet in a couple of weeks, although I'm not sure how much photography I'll be doing, I tend to get a bit choked at these places.

I'm completely with you there ... I visited the Airbourne Division monument when I was there yesterday and shed a tear for my late dad who wore the maroon beret during WW2. It's an amazing monument ... in fact it's an amazing place all round. Definitely go but take a hanky. As we live fairly close by I might take the opportunity to go along to the meet as well. It would be nice to put a few faces to names. Hope to see you there.

Hi Sara ...that's really apt choice for the theme and very touching one too, an excellent and worthy view of the word.

I seem to have missed your Watery shots ....I love them both but I think the colour one is just slightly more eye catching, it sounds as if you're really enjoying the challenge, keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing lots more.

(my ipad does that to me too :))

Hi Sara ...that's really apt choice for the theme and very touching one too, an excellent and worthy view of the word.

I seem to have missed your Watery shots ....I love them both but I think the colour one is just slightly more eye catching, it sounds as if you're really enjoying the challenge, keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing lots more.

(my ipad does that to me too :))

Thanks Susie ... to me, this challenge has evolved into an exercise in interpretation as much as in photographic excellence , and at the moment I seem to be so absorbed in getting an appropriate image to fit the theme that the actual photograph is less important. What i'm going to do from here on is concentrate on both the theme AND getting a good image. This felt a bit like a quick grab shot as I only had an hour or so to spend at the venue, so was rushing a bit. Note to self to slow down a bit !!!....

Looking forward to whatever Sarah pulls out of her fiendish hat on Friday... (y)

Hi, have to agree with the above comments mostly more straight on and maybe B+W, nice bit of thinking though (y)

Interesting interpretation Sara,
I must admit that it does fir well, nice image too :)

Hi Sara

Good variation of a theme, and I like the colours. Lighting is not good.

Hi Sara

Good variation of a theme, and I like the colours. Lighting is not good.

Hi David ... thank you. Totally agree about the lighting. Image was taken on a very bright day but on the shaded side of the memorial, so the plaques were in deep shadow, which probably accounts for it. I'm planning a return visit to see if I can get a better shot of it. Have also tried it as a mono conversion, but it doesn't have have enough tonal range to take it successfully IMO. As I said to Susie above, up to now, this challenge has been more about interpreting the theme and less about photographic excellence. But now I'm starting to get the feel of it, I'm going to try a lot harder with the technical aspects of the actual image, rather then just getting a shot which fits the theme and leaving it there.

I look forward to tomorrow's revelations ....

Very thought out image for this week. I like the angle but as said the light isn't quite right. I think the highlights are to high for some of the text. But I think I'm being a little to picky. Good stuff!

Hi Sara

torn between the 2 watery shots , I think the mono works well & is just edging it , lovely splash circle & there seems to be better detail in the ripples (y)

Powerful image Bold...all crit has been mentioned already.....look forward to meeting you at the NMA next weekend (y)

Hi Sara

torn between the 2 watery shots , I think the mono works well & is just edging it , lovely splash circle & there seems to be better detail in the ripples (y)

Powerful image Bold...all crit has been mentioned already.....look forward to meeting you at the NMA next weekend (y)

Thanks Lynne. Yes, looking forward to the meet too. It will be good to put some faces to names and maybe have another go at the Basra Wall and try to get the lighting right this time. See you there.

Week 8 - Relax ... What could be more relaxing than wine, chocolate, candlelight and Nat King Cole.

Shot with a Canon 6D, 50mm ... 15 seconds at f8 in a darkened room with the candle and a dim torch for about 5 seconds of the time. The 6D is supposed to be excellent in low light so thought I'd see what it can do. Not 100% happy with this (the candle isn't straight for some reason) so may have another go if I get time later in the week, but for now ... Just "Relax" with NKC, chocolate and wine. ...! :)

(...also may have helped if I hadn't been drinking the wine whilst trying this out ...!!!)

ETA ... going to have another go at this to get that candle straight ...really annoying me!! Sorry ..

Second try with (hopefully!) straight candle ...

Unforgettable3 by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr
Unforgettable by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Last edited:
Straight candle version is definitely an improvement.

Now, as to the picture...

...one of the best that sums up the theme, I feel relaxed just looking at it. Excellent.

Straight candle version is definitely an improvement.

Now, as to the picture...

...one of the best that sums up the theme, I feel relaxed just looking at it. Excellent.

Thanks Martin. Quite enjoying having a go at still life images. I have a light tent which helps too so my kitchen doubles up as a studio! Just need to decide what to do with the rest of the chocolate now .... :rolleyes:

I hope you don't mind my advice but this is all about improving our work n'est pa?

I can see a black line around the top of the wine bottle. No idea what has caused it :p

but I have been using the 52s to learn how to use light, and I think you could vastly improve this shot by putting a light behind the subject. It will add definition to the edges of the glass and bottle. You need to position the light behind a piece of black card or cloth so that the light only just appears around the edges of the backdrop to put light onto the edge of your glassware. Best thing is to experiment as that's what I did. I hope this makes sense and you don't mind me making suggestions.

some good ideas here

Back