SamuelSlade's Photo52 4 2011 : Week 52 Glass + Nature added

coming from the teacher, thanks matt .. (y) ... yes i felt funny being exposed on the side of the road... but looking back it took all of 20 mins at the most ... less time than to watch Corrie :LOL: ....

I end up getting strange looks nearly every time I go out with my camera by the general public... you soon get used to it and learn to not give a sh!t... because look what making yourself look stupid can do to the end result!!!!

Hi Ya Kev

brilliant set of images for Abstract...all bang on theme....my fave is the 1st of the light painted ones....lovely colors & shapes :clap:

I also really like the 1st image you posted for the theme....the bronze color is great...would appeal even more with a totally black BG or using the sky to hide the bushes...make it sort of float ?

nice work mister (y)

Interesting discussion on "abstract"....whether or not taking a photograph of some abstract art should be "accepted" in a photographic challenge to depict a word each week when that weeks word IS abstract....

When week 7 was delicate - was taking a photograph of something delicate not in the spirit of the challenge? How about week 30 when it was weird - were there not posts by challengee's of photographs of weird stuff....

I see no problem with the OP's original submission - his initial interpretation was to photograph something that was abstract...

That said, Mark gives some great advice on not always needing to look through the viewfinder and shooting from the hip as such can yield some great results...

Nice work Kev on going back to the scene of the crime and trying some flash experimentation...I think it's only when we push ourselves this way that we truly learn something about our photography....comfort zone (can) = boring zone

Overall I think photographing some art work is what it is, it's photographing some art work.
I felt like that with my weave shot. It's a shot of someone's art that I felt represented the theme and had interest, but I failed to make the image my own.

Doing something to make it more than a photo of some interesting art is another art in it's self and I think you've done that very well Kev with your reshoots. I'd love to have done that with my weave shot, but the not so nice fence around the sculpture would be an issue, not to mention all the sand, I hate sand!

The first hit the theme well, but the second set hit it much better.

Overall I think photographing some art work is what it is, it's photographing some art work.
I felt like that with my weave shot. It's a shot of someone's art that I felt represented the theme and had interest, but I failed to make the image my own.

Doing something to make it more than a photo of some interesting art is another art in it's self and I think you've done that very well Kev with your reshoots. I'd love to have done that with my weave shot, but the not so nice fence around the sculpture would be an issue, not to mention all the sand, I hate sand!

The first hit the theme well, but the second set hit it much better.

thanks neil...BUT... did you never build castles at the beach???

....Another submission for Abstract??? i think so

This is SOOC whilst investigating ghosts of leftover pizza last night...

...painted using a torch, the head must have shone too much towards the camera and perhaps for too long?? but the pile of t-shirts seems correctly exposed.. :shrug:

I present PAIR... :thinking: ... seriously?? i thought i was posting something else??? somethign that warranted a NSFW tag???? :thinking: .. and i post THIS!!

its got composition...its got that bokeh?? thingie... its got DUST!!!??!?!?! GRIT... WTF!!!! ... :bonk:

I present PAIR... :thinking: ... seriously?? i thought i was posting something else??? somethign that warranted a NSFW tag???? :thinking: .. and i post THIS!!

its got composition...its got that bokeh?? thingie... its got DUST!!!??!?!?! GRIT... WTF!!!! ... :bonk:

You got them the wrong way around, pepsi always comes second!

Not sure I like the ring pulls being up.
I'd also like a little more DOF as the left hand side of the Pepsi can is OOF.

Other than that it's a nice idea.
And ye, it's got that bokeh thingy

You got them the wrong way around, pepsi always comes second!

Not sure I like the ring pulls being up.
I'd also like a little more DOF as the left hand side of the Pepsi can is OOF.

Other than that it's a nice idea.
And ye, it's got that bokeh thingy

Neil...

1. pepsi comesfirst....better taste than coke..
2. i planned the rings up... anyone else would have rings down..
3. its meant to be OOF

(y)

Pair take 2 ...

ok.... so here we have a second take on PAIR... ?? i'm happier with this one... but is it enough for the NSFW tag... hardly..!!!!

Pair .... Take 3

Take 3... a pair of magazines .... the fact i starred in the article where the pages are open..well..thats nothing to do with why i shot it this way ... :thinking: of course not...

Nothing more reassuringly safe than snuggled in front of a roaring fire...and not kipping outside in the cold, says my cat...even had to push her favourite chair up close so she kept warm...

Sure looks cosy Kev.

The fire glow appears to stretch around the fire place a little too much to me, especially the right hand side of the right hand vase. Is it natural off the fire or have you added to it?

thanks neil..but the glow is all natural.. in fact referencing the original the glow extended more to the RHS and further across the carpet, but i cropped in and lowered the exposure to create the scene...

Kev,
Not sure about the coke cans, but absolutely LOVE the boxing gloves. Love the light, and the composition. Maybe think about cropping the label from the right hand side, but it’s no biggy.
As for the other pair, well, two of my favourite things LOL

Love the fireplace shot, but I think it needs a crop, as there is too much darkness all round the edges. Maybe just a smidgeon of the darkness, acting like a vignette?

Well shot though.

Adie

Kev,
Not sure about the coke cans, but absolutely LOVE the boxing gloves. Love the light, and the composition. Maybe think about cropping the label from the right hand side, but it’s no biggy.
As for the other pair, well, two of my favourite things LOL

Love the fireplace shot, but I think it needs a crop, as there is too much darkness all round the edges. Maybe just a smidgeon of the darkness, acting like a vignette?

Well shot though.

Adie

adie, thanks. i too look at the label and think damn... :bonk:

coke cans.. i feel i did better in my movember thread .. :shrug:

...so you're a subscriber too..to that pair... (y)

..and yes.. the fireplace could have done with cropping in closer, i did it once but left it as it was, but least i recognise what you're saying.

thanks (y)

Hi there Kev...

love the boxing glove image...great colors :clap:

Your Fireplace image is making me feel warm all over....& it's hit the theme bang on for me...nicely exposed ...like the darkness surrounding it....adds to the safe feeling in front of the fire (y)

Hi Kev,

Like your boxing glove shot!

Cheers

D :)

Hi Kev

I rather like your safe image. Not sure you might be advised to crop some of the extraneous areas. Can't make my mind up :coat:

thanks Tina..i do know what you mean... but some how... i guess when i view it on black that it all just ..blends together?? and looks so warm and snuggly... .... excuse... fireplace beckons me ... :naughty:

Not sure what's happened here but I've missed several of your themes.

Apologies!!!

I'll nip by tonight.

BTW, your light is what I had in mind ... Gggrrrrrrr. Still doing it though.

See ya.

posiview said:
Not sure what's happened here but I've missed several of your themes.

Apologies!!!

I'll nip by tonight.

BTW, your light is what I had in mind ... Gggrrrrrrr. Still doing it though.

See ya.

Yet I posted it first................ :D

rpn said:
Hi Kev,

Not been here for a while. I can't make out what's happen in Week 46 is that a scarf covered face?

Good take on Week 47 though.

Hi stan. It was.one of those shots that I took and hoped for the best I guess... Didn't want to be behind I guess with movember challenge...

I'm rather chuffed with light... That did come out how I planned it...

Right, here we go....:D

Abstract #2. I'm going to salute your attempt but the results don't really pull me in.

Pair, like this one. I'm a gargantuan drinker of Coca Cola so agree with Neil...I'd like to see a closer crop, left and right, the cocaine...errr, salt on the table's a tad distracting and the pepsi :puke: can isn'ty as sharp as it could be.

Pair #2, bit close. But a pair.

Pair #3, gracefullest show, dear fellow..... well, maybe not. Nice pair and great bit of humour. Makes a change...;)

Safe, nice and sweet, with a Christmas feel to it. Well composed. Nice and warm. My only slight niggle is I'd like to see the cat a tad more left of centre.

Living, great idea. There's a guy living in a shop doorway I see on the way to work that I wanted to photograph; he has all the typical homeless gear but I chickened out...:shrug: Your photograph looks a bit staged, which it, of course, is. I don't see many homeless people with sweeping brushed and compost bags. You also have a Knight of the Round Table feel going on there...

Light, works really well for me. I like the composition, right amount of light, I like that you've kept the house in background. I'd just like to see a tad ore fear....

Cheers.

TinaC said:
Kev you enjoyed Living didn't you, have to agree with Andy about the Round Table effect ;)

I like Light, there is something lacking in the tension...might be the skill of the actor rather than the photographer ;)

Thanks tina....the actor was some bum I picked up at a theatre company...friend of the night nurse...he'd had a bit too much cooking sherry tonight....but considering this.effort was the best of the bunch I went with it... I might re shoot living... Depends how long the fog lasts round here...

posiview said:
Right, here we go....:D

Abstract #2. I'm going to salute your attempt but the results don't really pull me in.

Pair, like this one. I'm a gargantuan drinker of Coca Cola so agree with Neil...I'd like to see a closer crop, left and right, the cocaine...errr, salt on the table's a tad distracting and the pepsi :puke: can isn'ty as sharp as it could be.

Pair #2, bit close. But a pair.

Pair #3, gracefullest show, dear fellow..... well, maybe not. Nice pair and great bit of humour. Makes a change...;)

Safe, nice and sweet, with a Christmas feel to it. Well composed. Nice and warm. My only slight niggle is I'd like to see the cat a tad more left of centre.

Living, great idea. There's a guy living in a shop doorway I see on the way to work that I wanted to photograph; he has all the typical homeless gear but I chickened out...:shrug: Your photograph looks a bit staged, which it, of course, is. I don't see many homeless people with sweeping brushed and compost bags. You also have a Knight of the Round Table feel going on there...

Light, works really well for me. I like the composition, right amount of light, I like that you've kept the house in background. I'd just like to see a tad ore fear....

Cheers.

By kotrt ... Do you mean the extra long woolly scarf I had knitted two decades ago by philipeno fisherwives using the first cotton harvest after a tsunami had destroyed the bingo hall and local kebab shop...you're not dissing the scarf are you..... Oh go ahead...it was itchy...thanks for all the dissections ..all comments taken on board ...and parked as I like my cat where it is....coke cans are crap

I really like the alien abdution idea, would never thought of that. Nicely executed aswell.

I really like the alien abdution idea, would never thought of that. Nicely executed aswell.

thanks sam... its a common occurance round our way....we've started charging for anything longer than a day..extra for experiments..and strict contract stating we're returned to the same body and bed from whence we were abducted... oh the problems we used to have (y)

Week 46 Reshoot ...

How about then for living....Night of the LIVING Dead .... wanted to do a multiplicity shot again... now was my chance...(y)

... i suppose is hould be calling it The Mist or The Fog...as the NotLD was about zombies...

Last edited:
rpn said:
Scary Movie, Kev

Thanks stan....spent most of the night boarding up windows and dishing out hot chocolate ...apparently there are union rules about haunting and zombie lurchings ...

Back