weekly *sarah* TP52 2014 step and nature added

Heres my entry for linked - I came up with the idea of using a daisy chain linked together on Friday night after 1 or 2 glasses of wine! We made a detour on our way back from shopping today so I could pick some daisies in the rain!!
I'm disapointed with the shots I took but the daisies are now looking past their best for a reshoot today. If I get chance this week I might get some of the children at play time to pick some more off our playing field and try and reshoot. The chain was put on a white tile and lit using natural light through the window. I have added a tone and used a shallow dof to try and give it a kind of vintage look!

Daisy chain b
by *sarah*., on Flickr

Linked - nice idea for the theme, I like the soft green off the background, and the composition works well. Also nice to see the reflections of the Daisy's as well, my only crit is the focus seems to be a little softer on the bottom of the daisy for me I'd like to see it in focus and a little sharper.

I like this Sarah, the shallow dof suits the image to me, was thinking dreamy, good colour for bg, subtle reflection, lighting (y) if anything, possibly loose a little off the top to match the same amount of space you have at the bottom :thinking: :)

Hey Sarah :)

Linked - Another nice original idea, I personally would like to see a slightly deeper DoF, so that maybe at least the first 3 daisy's were in focus (was going to say two, but thinking the number should be odd ??)

The background and the whole colour of the shot works really nicely, I also like the hint of reflection too, the bright green stems linking them is the perfect connection, like it (y)

Wow your take on linked is absolutely stunning, I REALLY like this! The DoF, the BG and the soft tones are beautiful, I like the hint of reflection too. Can't fault it, best entry I've seen so far by a mile.

If you hadn't noticed, I REALLY like this! (y)

liking linked, the setup with the reflections works really well, along with the shallow DOF.

I think the green tone is a bit strong tbh... looking at your flickr, daisy chain a I feel works better as the green is there, but it doesn;t come across in the petals so much.

Just had a play with the Colour balance tool in PS, (Image > adjustments > colour balance or via adjustment layers) and taken the green out of the highlights. Makes all the difference for me. >>>> Linky to compare <<<<<

Swirl - two excellent images here. I love the b/w treatment of the shell, the composition, focus and light. Also love the minimalist rose - very subtle stuff. :clap:

Linked - another excellent shot. Great DoF, limited colours and a great composition.

Nice dreamy look with a nice shade of green which fits with the vintage look you were after. After seeing Graham's edit I can see the tweak suggested strengthens the image by accentuating the white of the petals.

Hi Sarah
Swirl - the shell is very well composed - focus where it should be, tip in the bottom LH third, good fall off in dof and good b&w conversion. The crop is suitable too
Rose - like the milky and dreamy feel but a bit noisy/grainy
Linked - like DK, would like to see more dof and agree with Graham's suggestion re the overall green being toned down. Super idea for the theme (y)

Hi Sarah, your linked photo is lovely, but I think it's a bit too soft for me. I like the idea but I'd prefer to see more in focus. The greeniness doesn't bother me.

Linked, like it. Has a real dreamy feel to it and the perspective works really well.

Now, I like the green cast but feel it's alittle too strong. My eye is drawn to the small stork centre left and top. Minor points on a good photoraph.

Cheers.

HI Sarah

I love that shot...has a real vintage feel to it ,well thought out , the green tint compliments nicely ....you're flower photography is really superb :clap:

Hi Sarah, love the shot of the daisies excellent colour as Lynne has mentioned your flower photography is excellent :clap:

Linked - nice idea for the theme, I like the soft green off the background, and the composition works well. Also nice to see the reflections of the Daisy's as well, my only crit is the focus seems to be a little softer on the bottom of the daisy for me I'd like to see it in focus and a little sharper.
Linked, like it. Has a real dreamy feel to it and the perspective works really well.

Now, I like the green cast but feel it's alittle too strong. My eye is drawn to the small stork centre left and top. Minor points on a good photoraph.

Cheers.
Hi sarah a really nice image this week - DOF looks good I think the back-round works

Craig
Thank you!:)

Hi Sarah - really like this a lot, I think the greens are just fine, just the little stork poking out maybe otherwise :clap:
HI Sarah

I love that shot...has a real vintage feel to it ,well thought out , the green tint compliments nicely ....you're flower photography is really superb :clap:
Hi Sarah, love the shot of the daisies excellent colour as Lynne has mentioned your flower photography is excellent :clap:
Thank you for your comments!:)

Hi Sarah, your linked photo is lovely, but I think it's a bit too soft for me. I like the idea but I'd prefer to see more in focus. The greeniness doesn't bother me.
Hi Sarah
Swirl - the shell is very well composed - focus where it should be, tip in the bottom LH third, good fall off in dof and good b&w conversion. The crop is suitable too
Rose - like the milky and dreamy feel but a bit noisy/grainy
Linked - like DK, would like to see more dof and agree with Graham's suggestion re the overall green being toned down. Super idea for the theme (y)
Nice dreamy look with a nice shade of green which fits with the vintage look you were after. After seeing Graham's edit I can see the tweak suggested strengthens the image by accentuating the white of the petals.
Thank you all for your comments, i have some more shots with different DOf which I'll re look at and put on flickr!:)

Swirl - two excellent images here. I love the b/w treatment of the shell, the composition, focus and light. Also love the minimalist rose - very subtle stuff. :clap:

Linked - another excellent shot. Great DoF, limited colours and a great composition.
liking linked, the setup with the reflections works really well, along with the shallow DOF.

I think the green tone is a bit strong tbh... looking at your flickr, daisy chain a I feel works better as the green is there, but it doesn;t come across in the petals so much.

Just had a play with the Colour balance tool in PS, (Image > adjustments > colour balance or via adjustment layers) and taken the green out of the highlights. Makes all the difference for me. >>>> Linky to compare <<<<<
Wow your take on linked is absolutely stunning, I REALLY like this! The DoF, the BG and the soft tones are beautiful, I like the hint of reflection too. Can't fault it, best entry I've seen so far by a mile.

If you hadn't noticed, I REALLY like this! (y)
Thank you all for your comments!:)
Graham your edit is much improved and shows I really need to practice editing more, thanks!:)

Hey Sarah :)

Linked - Another nice original idea, I personally would like to see a slightly deeper DoF, so that maybe at least the first 3 daisy's were in focus (was going to say two, but thinking the number should be odd ??)

The background and the whole colour of the shot works really nicely, I also like the hint of reflection too, the bright green stems linking them is the perfect connection, like it (y)
Linked.. it'a a long time since I made daisy chains, nice one Sarah, it fits the them very pretty colours, a little bit off the top and the daisy with just a little more focus(y)(y)
Hi Sarah...definitely an picture I could live with...as Phil says ....soft and dreamy.....and a perfect choice of colour....just a tiny bit sharper focus on the front daisy would be good....but it is a really lovely image.
Thank you for your comments, I'm going to look at my other shots and look to re redit but I don't think I have any with 3 in focus - it's a good excuse to make some more daisy chains though!!:)

I like this Sarah, the shallow dof suits the image to me, was thinking dreamy, good colour for bg, subtle reflection, lighting (y) if anything, possibly loose a little off the top to match the same amount of space you have at the bottom :thinking: :)
Hi Sarah,

Linked - Love the colours and I think the DoF is just right. Crit, maybe take a bit off the top of the image?
Thank you!:)

I had a bad week again last week and just couldn't get inspired again to take some shots, but a bit like buses you wait ages and then 3 come along!!:)

Step - an emotional one for me this week! I just couldn't get my into gear for this one, I kept going back to one idea and ended up with this shot. It's not a good photo at all and was take on my phone. It's a pic of my dads feet. Dad is who I've got to thank for my love of photography and teaching me all the basics and more! We spent many days walking and photographing the Lake District when I was in my teens and also walking up and down Blackpool seafront taking illumination shots! (normally in the rain!). Dad has had Parkinsons disease for nearly 20 years and is now confined to a wheelchair and lives in a nursing home. In the early stages his body would freeze mid step which had caused him to fall over many times, he could be stood there for quite a while trying to get his feet to step and sometimes we'd have to physically move his foot to try and get them working again. I always find it hard looking at his feet now sat in the wheelchair and trying to push himself around the home when not so many years ago he would of thought nothing of walking 3000ft up a mountain to get a shot! It's also Parkinsons awareness week this week! Heres a link if your interested
So heres a pic of Dads feet which can no longer step -

Right now on to something thats more me!:):)
Nature/ Natural
My first one is all natural, I decided to go out into the garden and take some nature shots but it was a little too windy for flower shots so I started on the moss which was more sheltered.

A couple of tulips. taken with natural lighting but I then added two texture layers!

Last edited:
I kept going back to one idea and ended up with this shot. It's not a good photo at all and was take on my phone

Have to disagree there Sarah... "a good photo" doesn't have to be one that is sharp, in focus, correctly exposed, well composed, or all the other technicalities we like to have... If it is able to elicit an emotion, or a connection or a feeling, then that makes it equally as good. The fact I had a lump in my throat reading your narrative, while looking at the image below, makes it a "good photo" for me. :)

The moss is "a good photo" for the former reasons above... but doesn't create the same feelings as your 'steps'.

Have to disagree there Sarah... "a good photo" doesn't have to be one that is sharp, in focus, correctly exposed, well composed, or all the other technicalities we like to have... If it is able to elicit an emotion, or a connection or a feeling, then that makes it equally as good. The fact I had a lump in my throat reading your narrative, while looking at the image below, makes it a "good photo" for me. :)

The moss is "a good photo" for the former reasons above... but doesn't create the same feelings as your 'steps'.
Thank you Graham your comment means so much to me! I wasn't sure how people would see it as its a very emotional pic for me! I kept looking at it on my phone and had to stop myself from deleting it as it does pull at my heartstrings:)

Hi sarah, I agree with Graham above, we are all guilty here of putting so much thought in the technical side of photos, forgetting that a picture should first of all either look nice to the viewer or convey a feeling, which yours does.
I think its an excellent and has such a poignant story behind it.
The nature ones are both very good too, not sure which one I prefer if either.
:clap:

Both nature shot are really good but the 2nd is my favourite, great colours, texture and processed beautifully

Now then, Sarah, Step, wow, that's a really emotional story and the photograph is simply one of the best I've seen for a long time. The narrative really adds to it but I feel it would work just as well without it. I won't go into the technical side, but trousers showing his legs, the RAF socks and the crossed legs make for a cracking photograph. As an ex Army person I really relate to the photograph. Thank you for sharing the story.

Nature #2 for me. A natural yin and yang. The processing works as it normally doesn't, what I mean it the processing is quite harsh but works even with such delicate flowers.

Overall, it's very much a :clap: from me.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi sarah, I agree with Graham above, we are all guilty here of putting so much thought in the technical side of photos, forgetting that a picture should first of all either look nice to the viewer or convey a feeling, which yours does.
I think its an excellent and has such a poignant story behind it.
The nature ones are both very good too, not sure which one I prefer if either.
:clap:
Thank you Allan!

No, Sarah, Step, wow, that's a really emotional story and the photograph is simply one of the best I've seen for a long time. The narrative really adds to it but I feel it would work just as well without it. I won't go into the technical side, but trousers showing his legs, the RAF socks and the crossed legs make for a cracking photograph. As an ex Army person I really relate to the photograph. Thank you for sharing the story.

Nature #2 for me. A natural yin and yang. The processing works as it normally doesn't, what I mean it the processing is quite harsh but works even with such delicate flowers.

Overall, it's very much a :clap: from me.

Cheers.
Thank you Andy, Dad was in the RAF for 22 years and then went on to work for BAE, I was brought up around planes! Dad also has dementia, went we went to visit him last week the only time he made any sense was when we talked about photography and planes. His nursing home is in the sand dunes between Blackpool and St Annes, he can see Blackpool airport from his bedroom window which will be great when the airshow is on, he'll hopefully get to see the Red Arrows take off and land.

Step - I'm obviously close enough to understand the link to step with your Dad. I don't usually like the framing but it suits the image your were trying to portray

Nature - I should have known you'd have got some flowers in this week. The composition of the tulips is lovely. I certainly wouldn't have thought about the layout of the flowers and curve of the stalks. Very nice.

Step - For me, the back story is what makes it fit the theme (brave of you to go for something so personal!). Obviously, technically there are issues but the processing and framing works well.

Nature / Natural - Moss: I think this was a good idea with the three stalks and I like the PoV. I find the in-focus areas on the left and right hand sides a little distracting - I think they may look better OoF. Tulips: You've captured some nice shapes of one of my favourite flowers. I can't help but feel that the textures take away from the theme, but that is just my opinion.

Hi Sarah
Step... a very emotional story, fits the theme well, what a telling and beautiful picture (y)
Nature... I like both, I think that the moss is more natural tho' I might have cropped the darker bit out from the right hand side, like it(y)

too many interesting image to comment upon,

all I can say is ...

thank you.

Back