weekly Shiny's 2021 52 Attempt

The doggy profile portrait is really nice. A lovely expression, and the low angle works nicely.

The doggy profile portrait is really nice. A lovely expression, and the low angle works nicely.

She was standing on a Cornish hedge just over my head height so easy to take
Lovely photo of your dog, nice focus on the eye looking at something out of shot
She's a nosey dog, it's difficult to get her to look st the camera.
I like the "dogs eye" pov on this and the space you've given him to look into. Good composition.
It's a 'her' but you are not to know that. She's very pretty and she knows it.
Tall - Like Helen I think it looks like he is sheltering under the tall plant, quite a fun shot.
He's actually a bird feeder, you put food in the book, the blackbirds like it.
Nice set of images telling the story of your walk.
Thank you, too cold to do the same walk at the moment[.
Top dog portrait.
Thank you, I'm a sucker for a dog picture.

Choice
A good set of images from a walk. I'm a sucker for a dog photo, so that's my pick.

Great expression on the dogs face, I like how the branch to the left follows the same curve.

Can't say I am overwhelmed by the topic this week, it's a bit restricting and obvious and I can't really find anything original but hey ho, here's a couple of things that are pairs.

Pair of pawns

Pair by ShinySU, on Flickr

Pair of glasses. It's a real possum, honestly ;)

Pair-2 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's one odd looking critter! Nice pic of it though :)

The chess shot is good, the pawns are in focus so obivious they are a pair. Really like the warm colours of the wood.

Pete

I like the pair of pawns best although glasses are a more obvious pair. Lovely reflections and the depth of field picks them out nicely. I might have even cropped in a bit (says she whose pair is a dot in the frame ha ha!! :ROFLMAO: )

Reach for the Sky -- The story of Douglas Bader

I'm not sure if this works and I have another idea for later -- if the rain stops.

Film Reach for the Sky by ShinySU, on Flickr

Pair
It's the chess shot for me. Nice shallow dof.

Film
That works

Lovely cloud shot. The inclusion of the branch gives it a sense of height and scale too.

Perhaps a hand reaching up?
Nice sky

Yes, thought about that but thought also that the branches might fulfil that role.

That's a lovely image. Don't think I know the film.

It's HALF eight, nothing to add really apart from how difficult it was to get that second hand moving halfway between seconds (actually not difficult at all, purely accidental).

Half by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Am I allowed to say it took me a second to get it? :LOL:

I think it's probably worth calling time on all these puns...

A bit too close in and tight for my liking, but in terms of hitting the theme, it's definitely worked.

It is a tiny bit tight on the left side but I do like the crop, super clear focus on the clock face and a perfect choice for the theme
I think it's probably worth calling time on all these puns...

A bit too close in and tight for my liking, but in terms of hitting the theme, it's definitely worked.
It is cropped tight on the left and intentionally so. The reason is that the watch chain goes round the back of the watch then off to the left and looks odd. I would have retaken it but I'd never have got that second hand to do what it did again. Hoist by my own petard.

Nice idea, nice watch, would probably look better with a different BG ... ancient maps of something. (nice if you've got them).

Half
Maybe a different background, something more rustic would look good, but there's nothing wrong with what you've got really.

Half
Personally would have gone slightly wider, with the winder and chain pointing out the way to stop the ring covering the outer part of the face. An aged background would also make it stand out

My first thought was Half Hunter, but the Half Past Eight is obvious when you mention it. It's a nice image but as has been said could possibly do with a different background and not such a tight crop (?)

I'm not keen on how tight it is on the left hand side but have read your explanation so can see the problem you had, the second hand movement makes the shot so much better.

Good take on the theme. The slight motion blur on the second hand is perfect.

Reflection. I've gone for the abstract here which is unlike me. The picture is of the front of a 50mm Nikkor. I took out a lightroom subscription and used the healing button to get rid of some artifacts. I've never done that before and I am very pleased with the results.

Reflection-4 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Back