Simon's 52 in 2024

Week 6 - Neat and Tidy

I thought a slightly different take on this weeks theme might work. So I've got a shot of nature being neat and tidy with the berries of common ivy, something that we probably all see quite a lot, but actually take very little notice of.

Common Ivy by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Good idea and nice focus on the berries, took a while but nature has done a pretty good job on the design.

Snappers: the colour image works best for me. The beach huts pop out of the shot.
Neat and tidy: Nice take on the theme. Good dof and composition

Week 7 - Filthy

No real chance (or inspiration) this week so this week's submission is a quick iPhone shot which fits the theme and demonstrates the conditions I'm currently enduring as a winter golfer :LOL:
Second shot just to emphasise the problem

Filthy by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

1708509650553.jpeg

Works well Simon :)

Lovely if you like mud. Don't know much about golf but do they not close the course/some areas when it gets bad?

More boots, but that muddy fairway must play havoc with the golfballs!!
Thanks Bob. Yes. embedded more often than not

Lovely if you like mud. Don't know much about golf but do they not close the course/some areas when it gets bad?
Thanks. They do sometimes Keith. Not as much as they should or a normal golf club would because it’s a resort course (Vale Resort), and they have paying hotel guests and corporates to keep happy.

Its been closed r days this week but should have been shut all week, but they’re not going to do that

Reactions: nog
Crikey! That must have been a round of plugged balls!
Yep, it was pretty horrible Pete. There weren’t many balls that bounced :LOL:
They have finally bitten the bullet with the incessant rain, and it’s been closed since Wednesday. Another downpour incoming tomorrow :(

Week 8 - Whole

A low tide at Penarth allows you to see the whole of the pier. There's a big tidal range in the Bristol Channel - one of the biggest in the world actually, at its extreme the range can be as much as 15 metres (almost 50ft). I've see the tide out completely beyond the pier, and within a couple of feet of it coming over the top.

Penarth Pier by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Nice picture.
I love Penarth. Used to live on the clifftops overlooking Cardiff Bay. Often go back and walk along the pier.

Nice picture.
I love Penarth. Used to live on the clifftops overlooking Cardiff Bay. Often go back and walk along the pier.
Thanks for dropping by and commenting. We live in Barry, but regularly nip to Penarth for a walk over the top through the gardens down to the pier and long the prom. Always something to see.

Great image. I think the greens in the foreground really set off the blue/grey tones.
Nicely done!
Thanks you Bob - for once in my life I think I got it right with the foreground!
Full disclaimer - there was a touch of tonal processing to bump the image a little as to was a pretty dull day (as you can tell from the clouds)

It apiers you've done that one very well :)

Lots to see in this picture, and you’ve brought the colours up nicely from what must have been a grey day

Nice looking pier, quite a few people about for a grey day in February
Thanks Keith. It’s a popular spot! Ice creams, chips, fishermen, coffee shops. plus, as one of the few days the last month that it hasn’t been hosing down, I think a lot of people took the chance to get out!

Very nicely done Simon. The soft lighting brings out all the detail in the pier and the foreground plants.

Back