Simon's 52 in 2024

Nice one Simon. They're early!

A good bokeh to start your 52!
Thanks Bob. Not quite nailed the art of getting everything in focus in the foreground though!

Nice one Simon. They're early!
Cheers Dave. It's the balmy South Wales climate ;)
I've still got osteospermum (South African daisies) a summer flowering plant in bloom, and had roses blooming in December. Daffs just about to bloom too.

That's a nice start to the year
Thanks Paul

Thanks Bob. Not quite nailed the art of getting everything in focus in the foreground though!

Cheers Dave. It's the balmy South Wales climate ;)
I've still got osteospermum (South African daisies) a summer flowering plant in bloom, and had roses blooming in December. Daffs just about to bloom too.

Thanks Paul

We're a lot forther north and our bluebells are about 8" above ground! Bonkers!

Snowdrops! It's a relief to see something that isn't rain or mud in a garden at the moment. Lucky you!

Snowdrops! It's a relief to see something that isn't rain or mud in a garden at the moment. Lucky you!
Thanks for popping by Ian. Yes, a bit of sunshine and some blooms and the world suddenly seems a better (certainly drier) place.

Good start to the ‘52 season’, we have some in balmy North Wales as well- can just make them out in the freezing fog this morning.

Lovely shot... amazed you have them out already. Our's are only just small green shoots at the moment.

Week 2 - Hard

A lovely circular walk of Cardiff Bay offered a few opportunities for this week's theme, and here are my three favoured shots.

Concrete Award - Concrete's Hard!
Whenever I see this plaque I've always been intrigued by the fact that A) there's such a thing as the "Concrete Society", and B) they give awards!

Concrete Award by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Female Reed Bunting - Hard to see
Walking through the nature reserve in the Bay I could see a pair of reed buntings flitting amongst the reeds. I wanted a close up (which I can get from a crop), but for this theme, I also wanted to show how HARD it is to see these small birds as they are so well camouflaged in their preferred environment.

Female Reed Bunting by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Scott of the Antarctic - A Hard and eventually tragic expedition
An exhibition on the barrage to Robert Falcon Scott and his failed Terra Nova expedition to the South Pole in 1911/12. Scott’s Terra Nova expedition to reach the South Pole in 1911/1912 has a connection with Cardiff, he set sail from the port of Cardiff on the 15th of June 1910

Scott of the Antarctic exhibition, Cardiff Bay by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

I knew that was Cardiff Bay from the background. Never knew it won a concrete award though. Some days I'd argue the wind is the hardest thing in the bay

I'm glad you chose that Concrete Society shot. The best of the three I think.

My father posthumously won the Concrete Society Structure of the Century award for the Greta Bridge in Keswick. I only found out several years later, and prior to that I was unaware of their existence, and their awards.

Linky -- Here is a link to a picture of it

I knew that was Cardiff Bay from the background. Never knew it won a concrete award though. Some days I'd argue the wind is the hardest thing in the bay

Thanks. Yes, it can be brutal on the barrage when the wind is blowing! Luckily it was just a gently breeze this morning. Still cut through you in the open though!

I'm glad you chose that Concrete Society shot. The best of the three I think.

My father posthumously won the Concrete Society Structure of the Century award for the Greta Bridge in Keswick. I only found out several years later, and prior to that I was unaware of their existence, and their awards.

Linky -- Here is a link to a picture of it

Cheers Paul.
Well well. What a coincidence!
Greta Bridges a wonderful backdrop judging by those photos. I think I drove across it back in June.

Nice pix Simon :)

Nice set and agree with your choice, my son visited the polar museum in Cambridge recently. Found it very interesting, they have some of the farewell letters there saying they had run out of food and oil, temperatures were very low and basically goodbye.

I love these Concrete Society plaques, see them in many obscure place
Thanks Alan. It was ideal for this weeks theme. I knew it would come in handy one day! :LOL:
Nice set and agree with your choice, my son visited the polar museum in Cambridge recently. Found it very interesting, they have some of the farewell letters there saying they had run out of food and oil, temperatures were very low and basically goodbye.
It must have taken some guts to even attempt it with the equipment they had in those days. And an awful end.

Three very different takes on the theme. Like them all, but the concrete award is the most unusual and intriguing.

Love that Hard image, straight to the theme..... and I had to google it just to make sure there was an actual society,

Three very different takes on the theme. Like them all, but the concrete award is the most unusual and intriguing.
Thanks David
Yep, nice set of takes for this week's theme. My fav is the birdie, nicely framed shot.
Thanks Bob - I like the bird - pleased with that
Love that Hard image, straight to the theme..... and I had to google it just to make sure there was an actual society,
Thanks Paul - it was the stand out choice for the theme!

Week 2 - Hard

Concrete Award - Concrete's Hard!
Whenever I see this plaque I've always been intrigued by the fact that A) there's such a thing as the "Concrete Society", and B) they give awards!

Not if its RAAC concrete! ;)

Must've been built back in the 60's-70's when concrete was the fashionable building material.

Never seen a "Concrete Award" before. Nice set this week and you've picked the best one for the theme for me.

Back