Sirch's 2016 warm-up, Christmas

Second one for me too Chris (y)
Cool shot and a very interesting subject, I assume that's water running diagonally behind the subject?
(no way would you get me down there!)

Second one for me too Chris (y)
Cool shot and a very interesting subject, I assume that's water running diagonally behind the subject?
(no way would you get me down there!)

Thanks, it's actually a log leaning against the wall behind Gareth, they turn black and the white is fungus but it's not as yucky as it sounds...

...honest

Wow! Now those are quite dramatic images Chris. Both are terrific but I prefer #1 for the depth of the descent. Excellent response to the theme. :clap:

Thanks, it's actually a log leaning against the wall behind Gareth, they turn black and the white is fungus but it's not as yucky as it sounds......honest
Ah yes now you mention it can see that now (y)
It initially looked like a spurt or cascade of water with a slow shutter speed.

Wow! Now those are quite dramatic images Chris. Both are terrific but I prefer #1 for the depth of the descent. Excellent response to the theme. :clap:
Thanks, I felt #1 had a better sense of depth.

Ah yes now you mention it can see that now (y)
It initially looked like a spurt or cascade of water with a slow shutter speed.
I know what you mean, it does look a bit like that.

Both certainly on theme, and for me it's the second shot, liking the shiny wet rock in the background :)
Thanks

No 1 for me gives the feeling of defending into the depths, the second one he looks a little disinterested for me, like he has done it a thousand times

Hi, Chris..

The one that captured my interest is definitely #2 because of the white spurt/log/fungus thingy.. But I feel that #1 is more on theme than #2 :D

I imagine it must be really difficult to get nice shots down there with minimum lighting, but if you can, I would love to see more details on the rocks on picture #1 ;)

No 1 for me gives the feeling of defending into the depths, the second one he looks a little disinterested for me, like he has done it a thousand times
Thanks, that'll be because he has but he still enjoys it, I think the look of boredom is more because he is hanging around while the photographer faffs about!

Hi, Chris..

The one that captured my interest is definitely #2 because of the white spurt/log/fungus thingy.. But I feel that #1 is more on theme than #2 :D

I imagine it must be really difficult to get nice shots down there with minimum lighting, but if you can, I would love to see more details on the rocks on picture #1 ;)
Thanks, I know what you mean but It was JPEG only off a compact and I have pushed it quite a bit to bring out some detail, I don't think there is much more to be had.

Hi Chris ...not surprised you chose those two ...super shots for the theme, there is no way ever I would do that, I think the first one emphasizes the darkness and the depth better ....that's scary:eek:
Thanks Susie, it's really nothing like the movies would have you believe, most of the time it's fun-scary but I understand that it's not for everyone

I guess #1 says Down, more so than #2, but I prefer 2, well captured, something different. (y)

Not bad for a compact :)

#1 for me....looks like they are on their way into the depth of the earth :jawdrop:

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, I've been fairly impressed with the TG3 given that it is waterproof and so has an internal lens.

Yep, looks just about as organised as my garage too, but like you I guess, I know where everything is, organised chaos I call it (y)

Certainly a lot better organised than mine Chris ... and a lot more of an industrial, working, feel to it than mine which is biased toward storage. Lot of interest and nicely themed.:clap:

23701670516_33a2027744_c.jpg Hi Chris

Love the POV with the hand in the shot ! Works well - I may have gone for a darker shot - but I usually get abuse for dark shots !! Great - Oh love your shot for Covered with the flood water No1. Splendid !

Last edited:
Yep, looks just about as organised as my garage too, but like you I guess, I know where everything is, organised chaos I call it (y)
Well I know it's in the garage... somewhere... but then it turns up in the shed.

Certainly a lot better organised than mine Chris ... and a lot more of an industrial, working, feel to it than mine which is biased toward storage. Lot of interest and nicely themed.:clap:
Thanks Carl

View attachment 52362 Hi Chris

Love the POV with the hand in the shot ! Works well - I may have gone for a darker shot - but I usually get abuse for dark shots !! Great - Oh love your shot for Covered with the flood water No1. Splendid !
Thanks for taking the time to do that, I spent a while playing with renditions but in the end I desaturated and lightened it a bit for a kind of washed-out feel but I'm not sure I really achieved the effect I was going for. Glad you liked Covered.

Well I know it's in the garage... somewhere... but then it turns up in the shed.
LOL I don't have a shed, so that's one problem eliminated for me :D

Hi, can't beat a nicely organised garage, nice idea well executed

Hi Chris ....excellent choice for the theme, I think your processing gives it a slightly retro feel, Richard's does emphasise the hand more ...I think they both work well, but each gives a different aspect.
Thanks Susie, it's interesting to see how people have different takes on things

Hi Chris ... interesting portrayal. At first look my eye wasn't immediately drawn to the drill bits in hand ... and I think that's the idea. :thinking: .. so a more OOF BG?

At first look my eye wasn't immediately drawn to the drill bits in hand ... and I think that's the idea.

Not really, there were a few thoughts behind the hand/drill bit; it adds a bit of foreground interest and may be also suggests a sense of some kind of organisation against the fairly chaotic background, but the photo was really about the background. I did a shot with the hand OOF but given the wide angle lens and limited space it wasn't OOF enough and just looked poorly focused. Thanks for commenting though it's great to get feedback.

Had a load of ideas for living and shot some stuff at the weekend but decided to go with this from earlier in the year.

Limbo by TheWub, on Flickr

Very summery for a bleak winters day (y)

:clap:An image full of fun and vitality - definitely lively and so too living. (If she could spare some of that lovely light brown hair, I'd be most obliged).

Excellent choice Chris she looks as if she's having fun, and yes memories of the summer ....how nice is that :)
Thanks Susie, I was after something cheerful given the weather

:clap:An image full of fun and vitality - definitely lively and so too living. (If she could spare some of that lovely light brown hair, I'd be most obliged).
Thanks Carl, I've got first dibs on the hair though!

Back