Star Wars VII - What did you think? (NO SPOILERS!)

Just back from the Force Awakens with my boys and just an epic film...
I went with my expectations low but as soon as the music started and the writing appeared I caught myself grinning and I was back for a brief moment to 1977...
J.J Abrams has pulled a lot of memorable touches into the film for us old gits to pull on the heart strings and for me it can't beat the original but it's a very,very,very close second!.
No spoilers but one there is one thing I would have changed..
Asked my 9 yr olds for their marks out of 10 and they said 20!...

Can't wait for the next one, much closer to the original 3 which I was lucky enough to see when they were first released. Might get the projector out and watch episode IV tonight.

Queued to see the original when if came out and saw this version nigh on forty years later.

So many similarities, think they played it safe, but thoroughly enjoyed it so can't be bad

Very impressed with the young leading lady, less so with the villain though, looking forward to the next instalment

We saw in 2D it last night, and it left me frustrated. While it's good in that it does follow the original series reasonably well, it *feels* like it's been made for the post-modern iPhone generation, and has been done in a way to reflect current 21st century attitudes. There's a lack of depth, where I never really had a sense of involvement in the that society, shallow characters for the baddies and vast numbers of disposable people. IV-VI have a suggestion of menace, while this one was very up-front about killing large numbers of people without anything like the same scariness. The main baddy makes me wonder how he ever managed to leave playing dungeons and dragons in his mother's basement long enough to knock up that shockingly crude helmet, and also to wonder whether he'll burst into tears at some point. It's all too shallow, too 'instant gratification' without enough care or detail in the story, while making everything bigger and better than before.

That said, I did still enjoy it, and will go see the next episode. :)

Seen it twice since release, thought it was closer to the originals than the prequels but agree with this.....
So many similarities, think they played it safe, but thoroughly enjoyed it so can't be bad
Very impressed with the young leading lady, less so with the villain though, looking forward to the next instalment

Watched it on IMAX 3D yesterday (first time I'd seen any film at the cinema in 3D let alone IMAX) and definitely has a huge Wow factor. Without a doubt, it has been Disney'ed to some degree in that it's very safe but incredibly watchable.

My darlin just asked if we could go see this tomorrow, 3D it is then :)

Absolutely brilliant
Predictable but the 3D effects are awesome. Well worth a trip to the cinema to see it in all its glory.
Only 4 other people in big cinema so I'm guessing everyone is a bit skint. Seems crazy being full price on a Tuesday morning

I have finally seen it and it's completely awesome IMO. I loved that they put in a load of references to the original films for the geeks like me :D

Back