weekly susiejb 52 /2014 Support

Texture - nice take for the theme, I will go with the first image for composition and can see all the textures on the lichen better.

Thanks for looking Mandy :) it looked quite flat against the tree...I used the Raynox 150 to get in close.

Hi ay

you've caught the colors & textures & detail really in the 1st image :) but I kinda prefer the more acute angle of the 2nd as it holds my eye longer ...just maybe needs a little more light to pull out the finer details ?

Thanks for looking Lynne, shame I didn't spent a little longer on the second image .... but it's 400 miles away so I won't pop back for a reshoot :)

I wanted to do a wildflower this week but not a straight shot, so I decided to capture one in a raindrop....something I've never done before, I found it much harder than I anticipated :( I'm not too sure on the crop, whether I should have done it tighter, but I thought it looked better to leave the whole flower in the background.....not sure on that :confused: I used my Raynox 250 macro.

Ragwort in a raindrop

14187655290_45927086d6_c.jpg

14372768272_608013868c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Susie that's gorgeous! I prefer the slightly tighter crop and warmer tone of the second one, the redder cast seems to bring out the detail better inside the raindrop.

Hi Susie, number two for me also don't think you need to see whole flower in the BG as you can see it in the water drop
nicely done (y)

Susie that's gorgeous! I prefer the slightly tighter crop and warmer tone of the second one, the redder cast seems to bring out the detail better inside the raindrop.

Thanks Elaine...I think it was just a case of moving the camera very slightly and it changed the light, I almost gave up at one point but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Hi Susie, number two for me also don't think you need to see whole flower in the BG as you can see it in the water drop
nicely done (y)

Hi Allan...thanks for looking :) maybe I should crop one and leave the other then decide :confused:

Hi Susie, excellent idea and very well shot (y)the detail looks great, prefer the colour and warmth in the 2nd (y)......as for crop :thinking:........I might have been tempted to crop in just tight enough so as not to see any of the flower petals in the bg,leaving it all yellow. That way we would only see the shape of the flower in the rain drop, leaving the bg a mystery (although we would obviously know it's the flower because we can see it through the rain drop) .......does that make sense.......:confused: ....... well I know what I mean :D

......again, well done :clap::)

Very clever...well composed also... I like them...

Thanks for looking Colin ..... I'm glad you like them :)

Hi Susie, excellent idea and very well shot (y)the detail looks great, prefer the colour and warmth in the 2nd (y)......as for crop :thinking:........I might have been tempted to crop in just tight enough so as not to see any of the flower petals in the bg,leaving it all yellow. That way we would only see the shape of the flower in the rain drop, leaving the bg a mystery (although we would obviously know it's the flower because we can see it through the rain drop) .......does that make sense.......:confused: ....... well I know what I mean :D

......again, well done :clap::)

Thanks Phil .... Much appreciated comment :) I will try that crop when I get a minute, I think it sounds good.

Lovely idea Susie and well shot, like most above, I prefer the second version :)

Thank you Andy .... Yes the second one seems to win the vote doesn't it.

Hi Susie,
That is so beautiful, well done, I have tried to do this a few time and not succeeded yet, I like the closer crop :clap::clap:

Thanks Judi .... It really did try my patience, but I was pleased with the end result ....it's probably my favourite pic in my challenge so far.

....it's probably my favourite pic in my challenge so far.

Tis indeed a beauty, second one better for me, works well upside down too. :)

Makes all the `orrible weeks worthwhile when you get one like this you are really pleased with

Natural - It's a pity about the wood in the foreground but it's not always easy to get a shot in location. The flames have been well captured and I like how they are going up to the top left corner

Action - I prefer #1 as you can see the expression in his face. Looks like your timing was spot on to take this one.

Mono - Again I prefer #1. The inclusion of the flowers in the bottom half and low light gives it quite an eerie feel to it

Twisted - Certainly is twisted although I might have been tempted to zoom in more to those twists.

Fresh - The processing on these suit the subject nicely. I would have just liked to have seen the tops of the petals of the background daisies show

Shape - Good set but I think I like #2 as it is a little different and quite abstract in nature

Number – Well spotted for both these two. The nice muted colours and water drops make these. Well done.

Strong – Whilst this overall is dark I do like this image. Because of the curve I feel #1 is the stronger of the two

Texture - Both nice sharp images of the lichen. Super colour as well without being too saturated

Wild - #1 works better for me as you can make out the outline of the flower in the background. I'm going to be picky and say that I'd have liked the stalk in focus as well (picky LOL)

Susie - that's a lovely shot. As others have said, getting the stalk in focus as well would have been the icing on the cake, but you've done very well to get such crisp focus on the refracted (?) flower through the droplet. Love it!

Tis indeed a beauty, second one better for me, works well upside down too. :)

Makes all the `orrible weeks worthwhile when you get one like this you are really pleased with

Thanks Graham...yes it can be stressful...I have very little real understanding about my camera, it's mainly trial and error for me, so it's always good when I get one right.

Susie - that's a lovely shot. As others have said, getting the stalk in focus as well would have been the icing on the cake, but you've done very well to get such crisp focus on the refracted (?) flower through the droplet. Love it!

Hi Paul and welcome to the challenge.
Thank you for taking a look ...Yes it's a shame about the stalk, I was using my Raynox 250 macro and I find the focal point is very tight ... but that may just be me o_O I really wanted to catch the centre of the flower as sharp as I could.

I might have been tempted to crop in just tight enough so as not to see any of the flower petals in the bg,leaving it all yellow. That way we would only see the shape of the flower in the rain drop, leaving the bg a mystery (although we would obviously know it's the flower because we can see it through the rain drop) .......does that make sense.......:confused: ....... well I know what I mean :D

This is a crop as suggested .... I think it works, but it maybe throws more emphasis on the out of focus stem.

14403388091_b7ac9803eb_c.jpg

Wild - what a great idea, and the final crop version looks really great. You might have been able to keep it all in focus by taking several shots and stacking the layers.

Hey Susie :)

I love the tones of them two shots, the water droplets are great spheres in both shots also, both have strong compositions, but the curve in the first shot that leads my eye too and from the bug squeezes the top spot for me, a couple of great ones there (y)

Strong - A good twist to the theme, I like your idea, light but strong, for something so fragile, they have great strength (Theme - Tick)

As for images... not so sure, okay only kidding, again another couple of strong photo's, the gentle lighting pciks out the delicate texture/nature of the feathers, and the first shot looks like it is gently falling, and for me that is a top image :clap:

Texture - Some lovely colours in both shots, but although i am a lover of shallow DoF the second shot doesn't work for me, the first however with the broad focus across the large majority is a clear winner - npt sure what it is, but it's texture is in no doubt (y)

Wild - I'm really torn with this one, a beautiful effect with the flower reflecting in the water drop, and I like the shape showing in the background... BUT I also like the crop as it focuses my attention on the main subject of the image, on that one the oof branch doesnt bother me... I'll gop for that one (y)

Hi Susie

very impressed , good different way to show a flower....lovely focus on the raindrop reflection :clap:

I've never tried one of these so would love to know you set the shot up if you don't mind ?

Hi Lynne .... Thank you for the comments :) I did fiddle around a lot to set it up, it was very much trial and error. It was too windy outside so I picked some wild flowers and placed them against a board for my background. At first I placed the twig among the flowers but it kept slipping, so I put it between two big chunks of wood to hold it in place about 4" in front of the flowers. Then its just a case of getting your water drop to stay put while you move a flower around behind it into the right position ready for the shot ..... More often than not your water drop drops off just as you are about to take it :( I wish now I had tried multiple water drops ....I will try that next time !

Hey Susie

:)(y):clap: (y) Edited :)

Wild - I'm really torn with this one, a beautiful effect with the flower reflecting in the water drop, and I like the shape showing in the background... BUT I also like the crop as it focuses my attention on the main subject of the image, on that one the oof branch doesnt bother me... I'll gop for that one (y)

Hi DK ..I'm really pleased you took a look, and thank you for taking the time with all the comments, I really appreciate that. I'm still undecided about the crop ..... Not sure o_O

Covers the theme, IMO. Nice processing skills there and although the frame works well, I'd prefer to see it without. Nice symmenty and shadows.

Crit, just the horizon line.

Cheers.

Yep - Wot he said! :)

Like the square crop and the text under neath, good processing, just needs that little straighten. (y)

Yup - I like that!

Adding to what others have said (so rather than just repeating), my only additional comment would be that, for me, the sepia makes me think "reminisce" rather than "dream". Tiny tiny observation, so please ignore if you disagree! If it were in colour with a really washed out look (e.g. very low contrast & low saturation), that would shout "dream" to me...

Covers the theme, IMO. Nice processing skills there and although the frame works well, I'd prefer to see it without. Nice symmenty and shadows.

Crit, just the horizon line.

Cheers.
Yep - Wot he said! :)

Like the square crop and the text under neath, good processing, just needs that little straighten. (y)
Yup - I like that!

Adding to what others have said (so rather than just repeating), my only additional comment would be that, for me, the sepia makes me think "reminisce" rather than "dream". Tiny tiny observation, so please ignore if you disagree! If it were in colour with a really washed out look (e.g. very low contrast & low saturation), that would shout "dream" to me...

Thanks for looking Andy, Graham and Paul...the horizon :oops: :$ grrrr that was a silly mistake not to check...I was so busy looking at the deckchairs !! Your comments are much appreciated as always. I was so unsure about the frame...I kept putting it on and taking it off :confused:

Paul I did try a 'picture postcard' type thing in colour ...I messed about an awful lot with it and still wasn't happy, so I decided to just call it a day and use the other one.

14312495517_696083bce5_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Susie,
Dream...I like your colour one very dreamy, altho the sepia one is rather nice reminds me of days on the beach a long time ago, dreams of days gone by(y)(y)

Thanks Judi....yes it does give it a sense of a certain era doesn't it, not very often you see a row of deckchairs like that now, I saw them in Simouth last week.

Hi Susie... my idea wasn't particularly well-formed but since you've ticked "edit my images" I thought you might want to see. I won't put the image in this thread as it's not yours but here's a link you can follow if you want to where I've put it on imgur

Thanks for that Paul...you were at a slight disadvantage as I had already edited that one to death. But yes I see what you mean, its a good idea :)

Hi Susie, I like the idea behind the deck chairs not really sure on the crop but as you say you have already edited it death so I an sure you have tried every angle etc.....
excellent idea though for the theme

Back