weekly Susiejb 52 in 2018 LOW

Hi Susie,

Straight - Optical illusion? Or does it curve slightly? Nice rendition of light to shade across the image.
Guarded - i like the contrast of the sharply in focus weathered locks and rails against the bokeh reflecting off of what I assume is water below. :)
Unattractive - I wouldn't say unattractive, it has a vintage photo feel to it. I would say it's a study of an aged bloom.

Very good shot for unattractive Susie, great PP to really bring it out.

Thank you Dave. :)

Past it's prime yes, but still good for a great photo! I love the muted colours and the sharpness!

Thank you Bernd.

Fab depiction of a dead old daffodil. :clap:

Thanks d00d.

Susie, sorry, I meant to aslo add that I really liked your thick shot, great idea and well executed....

Thanks Mark, I liked that one too.

And unattractive....Hmmmm.......like the idea but a little to bright for me....

Yes, it is a bit, but when I did it faded it looked fragile and beautiful o_O

Hi Susie,

Straight - Optical illusion? Or does it curve slightly? Nice rendition of light to shade across the image.
Guarded - i like the contrast of the sharply in focus weathered locks and rails against the bokeh reflecting off of what I assume is water below. :)
Unattractive - I wouldn't say unattractive, it has a vintage photo feel to it. I would say it's a study of an aged bloom.

Hi Tim, No the blinds are straight, I think its definitely an optical illusion ....'study of an aged bloom' ...I should have done a selfie :D

Last edited:
you have laid the second one out very well but also its good to see the sun shining through some new leaves after the long winter, either for me

Outside for me! Great close up photo, great light, great DoF and sharpness (y)

Inside for me Susie. I think for the simplicity, yet you appear to have created a parabolic curve :)

I had to Google that one Tim o_O I do like these simple set up shots.

you have laid the second one out very well but also its good to see the sun shining through some new leaves after the long winter, either for me

Thanks AlIan, I was pleased to get the thread of the screws in the reflection, but I do love sunshine on new leaves.

Inside one for me too Susie, a good idea and well taken for the theme.

Thanks Dave.

Outside for me! Great close up photo, great light, great DoF and sharpness (y)

Thanks Bernd, I was pleased to capture so much detail in the leaves.

Very lovely leaves with incredible detail on that BG one. (y)

And the screws ... nice & clean :) ... maybe one too many, as the third & fourth are too similar in height. o_O ?

Lovely screws :)

Shadow
It's a tough one, being a gardener I like the leaves, but I'm also a fan of the abstract, so i can only call it a draw.

Shadow
It's a tough one, being a gardener I like the leaves, but I'm also a fan of the abstract, so i can only call it a draw.

Thanks Dominic, I like them both too.

Inside for me too. Lovely simple shot. Just out of interest, did you try it with the screws the other way round? so the shadows line up straight. I'm intrigued.

Hi Ross, no I didn’t try that,, I just automatically put them on an angle, I did rotate it so it looked as if they were hanging, I quite liked it, but thought it might look a bit odd!

Shadow, not sure TBH, prefer the idea of the first but the cropped off side leaves distract a little, the second is clean and simple and does the job perfectly well.

Im with Allan, but eh screw shot is very nice...
Doing some DIY lately Susie ? ;)

Shadow, not sure TBH, prefer the idea of the first but the cropped off side leaves distract a little, the second is clean and simple and does the job perfectly well.

Thanks Chris, I did try a bit of cloning on that leaf but decided its was best left as it was.

Im with Allan, but eh screw shot is very nice...
Doing some DIY lately Susie ? ;)

Thanks Mark.... DIY ....my OH is my on call handyman :)

Straight - simple but effective the b/w works
Guarded - nice angle I like the rusty locks too
Unattractive - there is actually something appealing about this image, but I would not be impressed if I was given a bunch of dead daffodils
Shadow - I like both but I think the second stands out more for the theme

Straight - simple but effective the b/w works
Guarded - nice angle I like the rusty locks too
Unattractive - there is actually something appealing about this image, but I would not be impressed if I was given a bunch of dead daffodils
Shadow - I like both but I think the second stands out more for the theme

Thank you Alison ...much appreciate your comments.

how dare we call them weeds
Until they take over your lawn :) but they do brighten up many a verge. Two good dandelion photos but the second is my pick, there is real beauty in those details.

Managed to find one, they are nowhere near ready here but then I do live in the frozen north. Have to say the first one for me like the DoF blurring the edges with the centre sharp, excellent.

Until they take over your lawn :) but they do brighten up many a verge. Two good dandelion photos but the second is my pick, there is real beauty in those details.

Thanks Chris, I love those seededheads each one a tiny parachute.

Managed to find one, they are nowhere near ready here but then I do live in the frozen north. Have to say the first one for me like the DoF blurring the edges with the centre sharp, excellent.

Thanks Allan, the headland was full of them today and not one anywhere near ready, I came home and almost trod on that one lurking in the garden so I picked it very carefully :)

Hi Susie

Straight, lovely Image, great shadows and clean lines.Looks good with the tones in B&W.
Unattractive, lovely colours to the near dead flower, nice and simple but so effective.
Shadow, both good shadow images, but I prefer the green in the leaf shot, much more striking.
Beautiful, both very nice photos, I like the second one as it reminds me of scenes in Avatar.

Pete

Liking both of those, Beautiful with great detail. Shallow but that's a nice result.

Beautiful

They are beautiful, nature makes the most beautiful things.

Beautiful is nicely on theme, agree they are beautiful little weeds, #2 is my pic and great in mono.

Thank you Dave.

Hi Susie

Straight, lovely Image, great shadows and clean lines.Looks good with the tones in B&W.
Unattractive, lovely colours to the near dead flower, nice and simple but so effective.
Shadow, both good shadow images, but I prefer the green in the leaf shot, much more striking.
Beautiful, both very nice photos, I like the second one as it reminds me of scenes in Avatar.

Pete

Thanks Pete, much appreciate those comments, I think I know the scene you mean in Avatar, what an amazing film that was, new one out this year I think.

Liking both of those, Beautiful with great detail. Shallow but that's a nice result.

Must say I really enjoyed doing that one d00d.

Beautiful

They are beautiful, nature makes the most beautiful things.

Thanks Dominic...I agree ....I think photography makes me notice these things more :)

Two really strong images for Shadow, Susie, and I like them both, but the second one of the screws jumps off the screen for me. Well done on lining them up perfectly too!
Likewise, two lovely images for Beautiful and I agree that Dandelion heads are fascinating to look at and great for photography. B&W really shows off the delicate structures, and the 'other-worldly' look of the second one makes it my favourite (y)

Second one for me but amazing detail in both of the beautiful shots. Nice in b+w too.

Thank you Ross.

Two really strong images for Shadow, Susie, and I like them both, but the second one of the screws jumps off the screen for me. Well done on lining them up perfectly too!
Likewise, two lovely images for Beautiful and I agree that Dandelion heads are fascinating to look at and great for photography. B&W really shows off the delicate structures, and the 'other-worldly' look of the second one makes it my favourite (y)

Thanks Andrea, using my macro lens has always been one of my favourite things with my camera, it’s worked out really well with those seedheads.

Loving both Dandelion pix - very arty farty :)

Shadow - 2 great images for the them Susie I love the leaf for the details.

Beautiful - Really like that lovely delicate details very nicely shot and processed

Looks like it works for the theme, you can't see if the rod is in the water or not (would assume not, but...)
Liking the choice of focusing on a single ring.

Thanks Tim they were fishing with a ledger so it was Low :)

Im guessing the float is low in the water ratger than the rod. Its nice but for me I think I'd prefer a slightly less shallow dof.

Thanks Ross ...I've got some of the whole rod but decided on this one....but then I'm a bit odd like that :)

Back