weekly Susiejb 52 in 2018 LOW

Aging shot is a corker Susie, great compo, great story and well processed.My pic of the theme...

Hi Susie
There is a feel of continuity between this shot and the one of your father in law from last year, the dark feel to both :)
They would complement each other in a frame of some sort I should think.
(y)

I really like that, the layout, the detail and the sepia finish all make for a great image

Great image for age Susie. I like how you put it all together and the processing really gives you the aged feel. I like the frame around it too, just finishes it off nicely :)

Age is a great subject, well composed, well lit, well processed, excellent photo.

Hi Susie, I remember that fantastic photo you took of him smoking his pipe, and this photo is also fantastic too. Beautifully taken and bang on theme and best one yet too imo, the PP is great too as it really does suit it.

What's not to like Susie nicely composed and lit brilliantly processed and what a lovely memory of your dad.

Age-Very nicely done, and a great story behind the image.

Fantastic photo for age Susie.It really suits the period it defines.

Pete

Great photo, I like the story behind it, the composition and the processing! Top (y)

very good Susie and well composed

Age(ing) - what a great find for your theme, good detail, composition and pp work.

Aging shot is a corker Susie, great compo, great story and well processed.My pic of the theme...

Hi Susie
There is a feel of continuity between this shot and the one of your father in law from last year, the dark feel to both :)
They would complement each other in a frame of some sort I should think.
(y)

What a great image, I love it. The subjects, the diary background, composition and old sepia treatment all just make the shot outstanding. :clap:

I really like that, the layout, the detail and the sepia finish all make for a great image

Super image for Age(ing), Susie! The arrangement and details in the medals and handwriting are complemented by the processing, and how lovely to have those great souvenirs of your late father-in-law.

Great image for age Susie. I like how you put it all together and the processing really gives you the aged feel. I like the frame around it too, just finishes it off nicely :)

Thank you so much everyone for all those lovely comments ....each and every one is really appreciated.My apologies for not thanking you all nearer the time, I did think I'd hopped on and done that..

Well at last life seems to have settled down to a much better normal routine so ....I'm finally back in the challenge. I'll do each weeks topic and add in one back topic so I catch up over the next few weeks.I'll start commenting from this weeks theme, to go right back would be a huge task, but I hope to now be here each week.

This cheeky seagull insists on using the netting over our pond as a trampoline ....its supposed to be a deterrent!! When he arrived on Sunday the snow had weighed the net down so he got very wet feet. This is taken through the window as he flies off if I dare to move near to the door.

WET

WET TP 2018 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well it’s good to see you back and a good shot to get you back into it

Glad things have settled down a bit for you and back with a really good photo for the theme.

Great to see you back Susie.

Wet - great image for the theme some nice detail in the water droplets/ice

Nice Image for this weeks theme, plenty of detail and good contrast, focus is spot on too.

Trampolining seagull,whatever next. :agree: ... plenty of detail and good contrast, focus is spot on too

Welcome back dear, I can see you're raring to go.

Welcome back! And back with a great shot, well composed, good contrast, very sharp (y)

Well it’s good to see you back and a good shot to get you back into it

Thanks Allan, yes, it’s good to be back :)

Glad things have settled down a bit for you and back with a really good photo for the theme.

Thank you Chris.

Great to see you back Susie.

Wet - great image for the theme some nice detail in the water droplets/ice

Thanks Mark, that pesky seagull has its uses :)

Nice Image for this weeks theme, plenty of detail and good contrast, focus is spot on too.

Thank you Pete.
Trampolining seagull,whatever next. :agree: ... plenty of detail and good contrast, focus is spot on too

Welcome back dear, I can see you're raring to go.

Thank you d00d.

Welcome back! And back with a great shot, well composed, good contrast, very sharp (y)

Thank you Bernd, much appreciated.

Like the trampolining seagull, like the way you have caught a bit of the movement.

Trying to keep up now ...I really wasn't sure about Juxtaposition but I think this fits the theme.

Juxtaposition Ice Cream Sprinkles

Juxtaposition Week 12 TP 2018 by Susiejb, on Flickr

I'll add in two catch ups:

Sharp ....week 6 These are my neighbours seagull spikes, I had to set my camera on 4x zoom as its over the fence.

Sharp Week 6 TP 2018 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Abundant Week 9 Was amazed to see so many seals on the beach At Godrevey Lighthouse. Not so sharp as I would have liked but a least a record of the day.

Abundant Week 9 TP 2018 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Nice pic of the ice cream works for the theme hope you tried it, as for the theme it’s a bit confusing isn’t it I struggled with it also

That’s an amazing pic for abundance a lot of seals there :wideyed:

Nice spikey fence for sharp you have managed to separate them quite well from the BG

Nice pic of the ice cream works for the theme hope you tried it, as for the theme it’s a bit confusing isn’t it I struggled with it also

That’s an amazing pic for abundance a lot of seals there :wideyed:

Nice spikey fence for sharp you have managed to separate them quite well from the BG

Thanks Allan, yes a stinker of a theme. The seals were amazing, we wandered along and peered over the cliff top expecting to se half a dozen if we were lucky and couldn’t believe that wonderful sight. By the way I spelt it wrong it’s Godrevy, I thought it didn’t look right!

Juxtaposition; my first thought was hot and cold. Hot chillies and cold ice cream. I hope you enjoyed it after :)

Sharp; they look sharp, are they metal or plastic? I like the isolation idea and the bokeh too.

Abundance; so many of them and also up here too, the local council even ban walkers anywhere near them. I would crop out the bottom edge with the oof grass.

Wet - Cheeky blighter, great capture though
Juxtaposition - Clever idea I like that spot on for the theme.
Sharp - They stand out nicely against the back ground.
Abundance - That is a lot of seals and a good reminder of the day.

Juxtaposition ... clever idea and all the colours seem to blend into one with that orange BG.

Sharp ... nice capture, sharp in more ways than one.

Abundance ... crikey, never saw anything like that, hope they're all OK.

Agree with Allan on the theme juxtaposition, but I think you have covered it well plus your other shots are good too.

Thanks Dave.

Juxtaposition; my first thought was hot and cold. Hot chillies and cold ice cream. I hope you enjoyed it after :)

Sharp; they look sharp, are they metal or plastic? I like the isolation idea and the bokeh too.

Abundance; so many of them and also up here too, the local council even ban walkers anywhere near them. I would crop out the bottom edge with the oof grass.

Thanks Stan, I managed to resist the ice cream! Those seals are at the bottom of a cliff that I imagine only has access by boat.

Wet - Cheeky blighter, great capture though
Juxtaposition - Clever idea I like that spot on for the theme.
Sharp - They stand out nicely against the back ground.
Abundance - That is a lot of seals and a good reminder of the day.

Thank you, much appreciated :)

Juxtaposition ... clever idea and all the colours seem to blend into one with that orange BG.

Sharp ... nice capture, sharp in more ways than one.

Abundance ... crikey, never saw anything like that, hope they're all OK.

Hi d00d, I thought the orange would suit the hot chilli feel :) A few of the seals were on the move but they looked a pretty lazy lot. I did a few close ups and one or two were very cut and damaged, I don't know if they've been fighting or if they were damaged in the recent storms.

Juxtaposition, really good idea, hot and cold, good colours too.
Sharp - well seen for the theme, certainly looks sharp
Abundant - wow, what a great sight, wish I had been there

Welcome back, Susie, and you've posted some super images! The ice cream and chillies are a great idea for Juxtaposition and your composition and focus combine for a pleasing image, the spikes are certainly on theme for Sharp, and Abundance is a cracker! At first glance I thought they were shells on the beach, but then I realised they were seals. It must have been great to see so many in one place :clap:

Nice shot for juxtaposition, well composed, and very likely to be very tasty :)
Sharp is well composed, works well in B&W, and it very sharp (!)
Abundant is a good find, and I know you didn't have access to that beach, but it feels a bit flat for me. Also, you could have cropped out the greenery at the bottom :)

Hi Susie
I reall really like your Juxta shot, the idea/compo and final shot are brillinatly donw for the theme.This weeks winner for me.
That is also a very large abundance of Seals - altho I thought they were pebbles initally !
Also really like the mono shot for Sharp.

Last edited:
Hi Susie,

Wet - Good strong shot there. I quite like the way there appears to be a water droplet hanging off the beak (I know it's not really). Very little colour, but sufficient.

Juxtaposition - In contrast to the previous shot, this one has plenty of vibrancy. Chilli and Ice Cream? Sounds quite nice actually, might have to try it. Good idea for the theme and well taken.

Sharp - Definitely needed the shallow DoF to give the spike some separation there, but there is enough and it works. :) There is a bit of reflection on the spikes and this helps to make them stand out. (y)

Abundant - At that distance they look like so many muscle shells deposited on a tiny bit of sand, but when you look closer you see that's not the case. Clever shot with interest that draws you in to take a longer look.

Hi Susie

Juxtaposition love the colours in this works perfectly for the theme.

Hi Susie

Nice images for your 3 catchup shots.

Juxaposition is nice and colourful, nice detail in the ice cream but the chillie jar is a bit out of focus.

Sharp, nice details where it's required, Background works well.

Abundance, you should have cropped the bottom of the Image, you have got nice colours and detail in that Image.

Pete

Its great to see you back here again and that things in your life are settling a little bit.

Wet - a good strong shot for the theme, the gull certainly looks happy enough standing on the pond netting.
Juxtaposition - hmm crushed chillies not sure i would like that on my ice cream, the image itself is nicely composed and its a different interpretation of the theme.
Sharp - fits the theme, dont fancy any birds chances trying to perch on that lot.
Abundance - wow theres a fair few seals in that little area, its a lovely image for the theme and a good record shot of the moment as well.

Juxtaposition, really good idea, hot and cold, good colours too.
Sharp - well seen for the theme, certainly looks sharp
Abundant - wow, what a great sight, wish I had been there

Thank you Chris :)

Welcome back, Susie, and you've posted some super images! The ice cream and chillies are a great idea for Juxtaposition and your composition and focus combine for a pleasing image, the spikes are certainly on theme for Sharp, and Abundance is a cracker! At first glance I thought they were shells on the beach, but then I realised they were seals. It must have been great to see so many in one place :clap:

Thanks Andrea, it was a real surprise to see so many seals.

Nice shot for juxtaposition, well composed, and very likely to be very tasty :)
Sharp is well composed, works well in B&W, and it very sharp (!)
Abundant is a good find, and I know you didn't have access to that beach, but it feels a bit flat for me. Also, you could have cropped out the greenery at the bottom :)

Thank you Bernd, I agree the seals aren't the best shot, there was a chap there with a lens as long as my arm ....I bet he got some excellent ones!

Hi Susie
I reall really like your Juxta shot, the idea/compo and final shot are brillinatly donw for the theme.This weeks winner for me.
That is also a very large abundance of Seals - altho I thought they were pebbles initally !
Also really like the mono shot for Sharp.

Awww thanks Mark for the comment on the Juxta.... that's really nice of you say so.

Nice shot for Juxta. I hope you didn't waste the ice cream after the shot was in the bag.

Thanks Ross, I did actually I didn't fancy eating it :)

Juxtaposition
Yup definitely two things I wouldn't put together.

Thanks for looking in Dominic.

Hi Susie,

Wet - Good strong shot there. I quite like the way there appears to be a water droplet hanging off the beak (I know it's not really). Very little colour, but sufficient.

Juxtaposition - In contrast to the previous shot, this one has plenty of vibrancy. Chilli and Ice Cream? Sounds quite nice actually, might have to try it. Good idea for the theme and well taken.

Sharp - Definitely needed the shallow DoF to give the spike some separation there, but there is enough and it works. :) There is a bit of reflection on the spikes and this helps to make them stand out. (y)

Abundant - At that distance they look like so many muscle shells deposited on a tiny bit of sand, but when you look closer you see that's not the case. Clever shot with interest that draws you in to take a longer look.

Thank you Tim for taking so much time with those comments, very much appreciated.

Hi Susie

Juxtaposition love the colours in this works perfectly for the theme.

Thank you Mark.

Hi Susie

Nice images for your 3 catchup shots.

Juxaposition is nice and colourful, nice detail in the ice cream but the chillie jar is a bit out of focus.

Sharp, nice details where it's required, Background works well.

Abundance, you should have cropped the bottom of the Image, you have got nice colours and detail in that Image.

Pete

Thank you Pete, I did consider cropping but I felt it lost some perspective ...maybe?

Its great to see you back here again and that things in your life are settling a little bit.

Wet - a good strong shot for the theme, the gull certainly looks happy enough standing on the pond netting.
Juxtaposition - hmm crushed chillies not sure i would like that on my ice cream, the image itself is nicely composed and its a different interpretation of the theme.
Sharp - fits the theme, dont fancy any birds chances trying to perch on that lot.
Abundance - wow theres a fair few seals in that little area, its a lovely image for the theme and a good record shot of the moment as well.

Hi Mandy ...thank you for looking in, yes, things are reasonably settled, although its half term now and have the grandchildren to contend with :)

Love the paint tin Susie. Angling the shot makes it special for me. Oval is beautifully lit. Being picky I would have liked to see the spoon a little more clearly, but that's just me;)(y)

Back