weekly Tango 32's 2014 52 challenge Week 39 -44 added

Hi Craig I like the idea for promise .... it is a shame about the black marks, it almost looks as if you wrote on it and rubbed it out and then did it again. I really like the black background i think it suits it well. It was a difficult theme so well done for doing something completely different.

Great idea ... looks like you had problems: ink smudging, egg not breaking nicely .... :exit:

Hi Craig :)

Skill - Now that looks very nice indeed, I could munch on that right now !!!! good to see you have done your own crit and I tend to agree with it all, as others my main thing was the scissors, you have portrayed skill very nicely, having the model actually working on the cake is great, rather than just the finished article... a nicely lit shot, plenty of detail and having now seen your edit, although not perfect, if you didn't know the cloning was done you wouldn't spot it, well done (y)

Half - Now isn't he a helpful chap, I really like that, he stands out from the brickwork nicely, agree he could be a tad brighter and I'd clone out that pesky fly, other than that really like the way you have posed him/her :)

Architecture - Wasn't so sure on the angle, but having seen it straight on I can see what you went for it, you would have lost much of the detailed features, I'd be tempted to try and get a bit more from that sky, there seems plenty there to grab a stormy looking background, there is some lovely detail in the structure, good cloning this week and well spotted :)

Promise - not the best of themes that's for sure, yours is a nice original idea, not the sharpest of images, but well on theme, box ticked (y)

Catch up time........

Rich - The image feels a little cut out and put on a white background I'm afraid. Given the subject I think a dark backdrop may have worked better

Skill - Super cake and fits the theme nicely. You've done well with the exposure given it was so close to a window. Seeing part of the icer's face is good

Half - Others have mentioned the lighting on the model. I'm wondering whether changing angle to exclude the sky would have helped

Architecture - Other than the post and bland sky, I do prefer the mono version. Looks an interesting subject.

Promise - Maybe an increase of exposure would help boost this one but a really nice idea for the theme.

Hi Craig - Promise gets you a tick in the box. At least it'll be easy to better it with your next one!

Love woody coming down the zipwire BTW! :)

(y)

HI Craig

Architectural...interesting subject.....the angle of the 1st works better for me simply due to the blown sky in the 2nd. I do wonder if you could crop in closer to the lhs of it though :thinking: Looks to possibly have some interesting textures /colors that might be bought out a little more ?

Promise...yup, trifle hard this theme.....like the blackness of the bg & the idea ( I'm thinking promise of life ) but the shell needs to be cleaner....did you rub off some writing then try again ?

It's a cracker! Sorry :coat:

Nice solid background and just the right light and angle to be able to see a hint of the yolk left inside. I can't make my mind up about the darker patches on the shell - on the one hand they are a little distracting, on the other hand they help to enhance the texture, so I can't decide whether they're a good thing or a bad thing :confused:

Hi, your link is not working from flickr, besides that I saw a similar pic on flickr the other day, would have liked to see the whole word and for the whole thing to be a little cleaner, the egg is very grubby.
other than that it needs a base really as it looks like its floating in mid air, don't mean to sound harsh its a nice idea

Hi Craig

I like the egg disappearing into the background - it's a neat effect. I do, however, agree with Allan that the egg could be cleaner. I also think it could do with a stop or so of exposure - it looks very dark to me, which I realise is part "mood" but I think would still benefit from a lift.

It was a real tough week - at least Sharp ought to be easier for us all!!

Hi Craig I like the idea for promise .... it is a shame about the black marks, it almost looks as if you wrote on it and rubbed it out and then did it again. I really like the black background i think it suits it well. It was a difficult theme so well done for doing something completely different.

Hi Craig
Promise - bit dark , bit grubby and would prefer all of the letters showing - but top marks for the idea and the attempt(y) - probably all it needs is a bit more care in the execution

Great idea ... looks like you had problems: ink smudging, egg not breaking nicely .... :exit:

Skill - Now that looks very nice indeed, I could munch on that right now !!!! good to see you have done your own crit and I tend to agree with it all, as others my main thing was the scissors, you have portrayed skill very nicely, having the model actually working on the cake is great, rather than just the finished article... a nicely lit shot, plenty of detail and having now seen your edit, although not perfect, if you didn't know the cloning was done you wouldn't spot it, well done (y)

Half - Now isn't he a helpful chap, I really like that, he stands out from the brickwork nicely, agree he could be a tad brighter and I'd clone out that pesky fly, other than that really like the way you have posed him/her :)

Architecture - Wasn't so sure on the angle, but having seen it straight on I can see what you went for it, you would have lost much of the detailed features, I'd be tempted to try and get a bit more from that sky, there seems plenty there to grab a stormy looking background, there is some lovely detail in the structure, good cloning this week and well spotted :)

Promise - not the best of themes that's for sure, yours is a nice original idea, not the sharpest of images, but well on theme, box ticked (y)

Catch up time........

Rich - The image feels a little cut out and put on a white background I'm afraid. Given the subject I think a dark backdrop may have worked better

Skill - Super cake and fits the theme nicely. You've done well with the exposure given it was so close to a window. Seeing part of the icer's face is good

Half - Others have mentioned the lighting on the model. I'm wondering whether changing angle to exclude the sky would have helped

Architecture - Other than the post and bland sky, I do prefer the mono version. Looks an interesting subject.

Promise - Maybe an increase of exposure would help boost this one but a really nice idea for the theme.

Hi Craig - Promise gets you a tick in the box. At least it'll be easy to better it with your next one!

Love woody coming down the zipwire BTW! :)

(y)

HI Craig

Architectural...interesting subject.....the angle of the 1st works better for me simply due to the blown sky in the 2nd. I do wonder if you could crop in closer to the lhs of it though :thinking: Looks to possibly have some interesting textures /colors that might be bought out a little more ?

Promise...yup, trifle hard this theme.....like the blackness of the bg & the idea ( I'm thinking promise of life ) but the shell needs to be cleaner....did you rub off some writing then try again ?

Thanks all for the crit and advice - a bit more time and care with Promise could have improved it, the used a sharpie pen first and then when i cracked the egg it made the black run :(

Hi, nice catch up.

Sharp, I like the perspective on this one and the detail in the plumage. The eye is a little OOF.

Pure, lovely dog and well composed.

Sparkle, what a wonderful view. I do like seaside. I'd like more colour, almost looks desaturated.

Cheers.

lovely BG on the bird, presume focus was on the beak with your mind on the theme. ;)

do love your dog Craig, normally having the head that close to the edge wouldnlt work, but as she's looking back across the shot it does. Having your position much lower also adds to the impact and appeal.

definately a sparkle on the water, certainly unconventional processing and crop here, but I like it. (y)

Hi like the angle of the bird but feels it needs a little lift especially round the eye just to bring it out a little.
the dog is nice enough with a good BG
not sure there is enough sparkle on the water but thats really hard to capture, I agree with andy about the colour

Hi Craig,
Sorry i'm a bit late

Architecture...#1 is the one that i like the best, good cloning too, I like the pov too it shows the detail well
Promise.. brilliant idea but slightly grubby and a little bit too dark.
Sharp...I agree with Allan the bird could just do with a bit more light round its eye, good idea
Pure.... Beautiful shot of the Husky she's lovely
Sparkle.... lovely shot of the harbour nice bit of sparkle on the water

Hi Craig

Great job on the catch up (y)

Sharp - for the theme, I think your photographic choices are spot on: angle of shot, focus / DOF etc. all highlight the beak. The only downside to that is you've made the rest of the bird less interesting and OOF. So a big win for the "theme" but at the expense of the overall photo, in my opinion. It's a difficult one to decide whether to nail the subject or actually compose something you'd choose to shoot outside of this challenge. I know some people have firm views one way or the other but I'm a bit of a fence-sitter, if I'm honest. I think you've done well but the shadow on the neck, OOF head etc. detract from the photo even if they reinforce the beak.

Pure - lovely dog but not as convinced by the composition. It's a tough one because had you moved her right in the frame it still probably wouldn't have sat right in my eyes - it's a really difficult pose. However, well shot and on theme for me. Needs more snow perhaps!

Sparkle - interesting and definitely on theme. I agree with others that shooting into the light has caused colour & problems with contrast (in the midtones). It is what it is - I know, I've suffered from it enough and there's not much you can do! To be honest, it's a problem with the theme and choosing this depiction of it... I think in the circumstances you've done well with the composition and processing to make more of it than the light would otherwise give you. Good job given those restrictions.

I know how difficult it can be to squeeze "project" photos into a holiday so despite my comments above perhaps seeming a bit tough, I think you've produced some good shots in some really challenging circumstances. There are some tough themes at the moment so I think everyone who's managing them deserves a good clap :clap:

Hi Craig .... I'm liking the angles on the first two ... the young seagull's head pointing upwards gives emphasis to the sharp beak....the part that you want to, and your husky shot with the head looking back makes it a much nicer composition than straight side shot. You've just managed to catch the sparkle on your harbour shot....we're very dependent on the weather for things like that aren't we.

Hi Craig... appologies for not commenting before now... great pic for sharp... think the dog image is just well a photo of a dog but you have a point with pure...
Sparkle I think may have looked batter had you shifted to thr right a little... the stream of water running down the centre of the image takes it away for me... had it been from the left to the right as an eye runs across a page I think you would have nailed it...

lovely BG on the bird, presume focus was on the beak with your mind on the theme. ;)

do love your dog Craig, normally having the head that close to the edge wouldnlt work, but as she's looking back across the shot it does. Having your position much lower also adds to the impact and appeal.

definately a sparkle on the water, certainly unconventional processing and crop here, but I like it. (y)

Thanks mate yeah your right tried to focus on the beak

this one is not my dog just another husky we met at the beach ( have fallen in love with her )

Hi like the angle of the bird but feels it needs a little lift especially round the eye just to bring it out a little.
the dog is nice enough with a good BG
not sure there is enough sparkle on the water but thats really hard to capture, I agree with andy about the colour

Thanks Allan trying to get the colours / sparkle right was a challenge

Hi Craig,
Sorry i'm a bit late

Architecture...#1 is the one that i like the best, good cloning too, I like the pov too it shows the detail well
Promise.. brilliant idea but slightly grubby and a little bit too dark.
Sharp...I agree with Allan the bird could just do with a bit more light round its eye, good idea
Pure.... Beautiful shot of the Husky she's lovely
Sparkle.... lovely shot of the harbour nice bit of sparkle on the water

HI Jui - thanks for commenting mine has been rather poor lately

Hi Craig

Great job on the catch up (y)

Sharp - for the theme, I think your photographic choices are spot on: angle of shot, focus / DOF etc. all highlight the beak. The only downside to that is you've made the rest of the bird less interesting and OOF. So a big win for the "theme" but at the expense of the overall photo, in my opinion. It's a difficult one to decide whether to nail the subject or actually compose something you'd choose to shoot outside of this challenge. I know some people have firm views one way or the other but I'm a bit of a fence-sitter, if I'm honest. I think you've done well but the shadow on the neck, OOF head etc. detract from the photo even if they reinforce the beak.

Pure - lovely dog but not as convinced by the composition. It's a tough one because had you moved her right in the frame it still probably wouldn't have sat right in my eyes - it's a really difficult pose. However, well shot and on theme for me. Needs more snow perhaps!

Sparkle - interesting and definitely on theme. I agree with others that shooting into the light has caused colour & problems with contrast (in the midtones). It is what it is - I know, I've suffered from it enough and there's not much you can do! To be honest, it's a problem with the theme and choosing this depiction of it... I think in the circumstances you've done well with the composition and processing to make more of it than the light would otherwise give you. Good job given those restrictions.

I know how difficult it can be to squeeze "project" photos into a holiday so despite my comments above perhaps seeming a bit tough, I think you've produced some good shots in some really challenging circumstances. There are some tough themes at the moment so I think everyone who's managing them deserves a good clap :clap:

Thanks Paul for taking the time to do such detailed responses much appreciated

Hi Craig .... I'm liking the angles on the first two ... the young seagull's head pointing upwards gives emphasis to the sharp beak....the part that you want to, and your husky shot with the head looking back makes it a much nicer composition than straight side shot. You've just managed to catch the sparkle on your harbour shot....we're very dependent on the weather for things like that aren't we.

HI Susie
thanks for popping in :)

Hi Craig... appologies for not commenting before now... great pic for sharp... think the dog image is just well a photo of a dog but you have a point with pure...
Sparkle I think may have looked batter had you shifted to thr right a little... the stream of water running down the centre of the image takes it away for me... had it been from the left to the right as an eye runs across a page I think you would have nailed it...

Cheers Colin

Hi sorry I haven't popped in for a while life has been a little hectic for me and a lack of broadband has not helped me. Sorry for not being able to comment on every image.

Sharp - nice take for the theme, that beak certainly looks sharp.

Pure - lovely dog, nice composition and fits the theme.

Sparkle - fits the theme, but I find the image a bit bland sorry.

HI Craig.....

Sharp....love the angle , the detail in the feathers & that you focused on the beak ( albeit at the expense of the eye but hey , you can't have everything !)

Pure...beautiful breed of dog...maybe lift the dark on his head a touch to make that stunning blue eye pop a little more...

Sparkle....looks like very harsh light but kinda like this......possibly crop a little from the bottom to just below the reflection of the nearest boat ? But I like the muted / desat colors :)

That's a fair shot given the sky you had behind it, prop blur on the tail rotor is spot on for a helicopter.

Dead link from the pics only thread too.

It's a devil playing catch up isn't it Grrrrrrrrrr

Sharp - Damn big beak on that bugger, would liked to see the beak sharp through it's length but a tricky ask for something that won't sit still, plenty of detail and a great background :)

Pure - Good subject for the theme, I find the background a bit distracting, but love the rocks she is standing on, a super looking dog :)

Sparkle - Had to look for the sparkle as my eyes keep going to all the boats, a cracking harbour that though, I bet you can capture some right characters there !!!

Fall - Shame about the sky that would have been the icing, as Graham says a great capture of the chopper and it's blades, okay for the theme to me too (y)

Hi, as above shame about the sky and I also think you could maybe lift the shadows a little so you could see the people in the copter

Hi Craig,

Sorry for the long time since commenting.

I don't know if I ever commented on the cake picture for skill, but I think it's fantastic! Such a vibrant green and certainly a lot of skill going in to making that.

Now...
Promise - I think the colour of the egg shell is accurate although maybe slightly dark? (but it could have been a dark coloured egg, so what do I know). It's a very artistic take on the theme I think. Nice black BG. Simple and effective.
Sharp - great headshot of that feathery being. I like the muted colours in this, natural but the different greys work well together with the small amount of colour. Nice and sharp and I'd not want my finger anywhere near that beak.
Pure - fitting for the theme. I'm not a dog person to be honest, but it works and is a nice photo.
Sparkle - you've captured the sparkle of that water in the bottom left quarter very nicely. It's a lovely setting and have you colourised it at all? It works, I am just wondering if you've processed it that way.
Fall - lol at the crowbar but I do love a helicopter! Nice bit of red to lift the picture (pun not intended but realised) and just the right amount of motion on the main rotor blades. Looking at it full screen, it's great!

Cheers,
Si

Sharp - Unusual angle and catches a certainly sharp beak. Ironically unfortunately the image doesn't appear sharp around the eye

Pure - We've got friends who've got five of these. They are lovely animals and you've captured this one in a good pose staring into the distance.

Sparkle - For me the picture is in the bottom half. You could probably get away with a heavy crop and still keep the essence of the harbour theme. Where is it? I looks familiar for some reason.

Fall - It's a shame about the sky - nothing you could do about that - but the helicopter is certainly sharp and has the right amount of rotor blur for me

It's a devil playing catch up isn't it Grrrrrrrrrr

Sharp - Damn big beak on that bugger, would liked to see the beak sharp through it's length but a tricky ask for something that won't sit still, plenty of detail and a great background :)

Pure - Good subject for the theme, I find the background a bit distracting, but love the rocks she is standing on, a super looking dog :)

Sparkle - Had to look for the sparkle as my eyes keep going to all the boats, a cracking harbour that though, I bet you can capture some right characters there !!!

Fall - Shame about the sky that would have been the icing, as Graham says a great capture of the chopper and it's blades, okay for the theme to me too (y)

your Right Dean Im hoping to get back up to date this week thanks for sticking with me :)

Hi Craig,

Sorry for the long time since commenting.

I don't know if I ever commented on the cake picture for skill, but I think it's fantastic! Such a vibrant green and certainly a lot of skill going in to making that.

Now...
Promise - I think the colour of the egg shell is accurate although maybe slightly dark? (but it could have been a dark coloured egg, so what do I know). It's a very artistic take on the theme I think. Nice black BG. Simple and effective.
Sharp - great headshot of that feathery being. I like the muted colours in this, natural but the different greys work well together with the small amount of colour. Nice and sharp and I'd not want my finger anywhere near that beak.
Pure - fitting for the theme. I'm not a dog person to be honest, but it works and is a nice photo.
Sparkle - you've captured the sparkle of that water in the bottom left quarter very nicely. It's a lovely setting and have you colourised it at all? It works, I am just wondering if you've processed it that way.
Fall - lol at the crowbar but I do love a helicopter! Nice bit of red to lift the picture (pun not intended but realised) and just the right amount of motion on the main rotor blades. Looking at it full screen, it's great!

Cheers,
Si

Thanks for taking the time to catch up Simon much appreciated

processing for sparkle yep but I don't really know what I done was just playing about with filters on snapseed

Sharp - Unusual angle and catches a certainly sharp beak. Ironically unfortunately the image doesn't appear sharp around the eye

Pure - We've got friends who've got five of these. They are lovely animals and you've captured this one in a good pose staring into the distance.

Sparkle - For me the picture is in the bottom half. You could probably get away with a heavy crop and still keep the essence of the harbour theme. Where is it? I looks familiar for some reason.

Fall - It's a shame about the sky - nothing you could do about that - but the helicopter is certainly sharp and has the right amount of rotor blur for me

Hi Peter that is Penzance harbour Cornwall, 5 huskys must be a handful they very energetic dogs but would not be with out mine this was a pup we met on the beach that our husky spent the next two days playing chase with :)

Good choice of aperture for the pipers, to get the shallow dof to help blur the BG, and also to give you the best chance of a reasonable shutter speed. Good technique to get sharp on a moving object at this shutter speed. (Maybe slightly higher ISO would have helped a bit, 400 maybe?)

BG is the only let down but somehwrer like this you're always going to be restricted by backgrounds and vantage points.

Yes, it's a pity about the rather mundane-looking background, but that's not your fault and you've made a fantastic job of focussing on the pipers - even down to the rivulets of rain running down the front one's cape :clap:

Back