The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Ah, sorted it. Somehow I'd managed o download the Pro trial. Have to say, the free version is underwhelming by comparison.

I'll have a play and see how it compares to LR but I still have 6 months to go on that.

Inspired by @ianmarsh and his blue split tone shadows and contrast shots from London I went out last night with the sole purpose of finding a suitable candidate to try the same style of editing.
Because of Covid its quite easy to get subjects all to yourself and I chose the art gallery on Princes Street.

I did a very light split tone as I'm not sure night time photography is the best application but it was worth a shot to try the technique and I think its plausible.

The Royal Scottish Academy by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Brand new XT3 body only is cheaper to buy. Both bodies with the 16-80mm lens are the same price.

I just can't see why would anyone buy the XS10 over the XT-3. IBIS and the grip are great but the professional features in the XT3 are more important, at least IMO

Can see that the EVF is better on the XT3 but the XS10 size, controls, IBIS and grip appeal to me. I chose to stick with Nikon recently but the XS10 is very temping.

Last edited:
Brand new XT3 body only is cheaper to buy. Both bodies with the 16-80mm lens are the same price.

I just can't see why would anyone buy the XS10 over the XT-3. IBIS and the grip are great but the professional features in the XT3 are more important, at least IMO
Humm I'm not sure I think the X-S10 looks very appealing - IBIS and the smaller size/weight being of interest to me.

Only downside is the lesser spec'd EVF...

Ah, sorted it. Somehow I'd managed o download the Pro trial. Have to say, the free version is underwhelming by comparison.

I'll have a play and see how it compares to LR but I still have 6 months to go on that.

Well it is free ;)
I was actually surprised at how much was missing in the free version. You can so so much in the proper one. I still need to play with some bits, that my brain can only seem to handle in PS ;)

Couple of mushrooms, from this mornings jaunt. Almost crippled myself, fighting with the branches and brambles lol

H1 and either 16-55 or 80mm

Alone by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Fairy Land by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Two very nice close up style Fujigraphs Paul, particularly liking the bokeh in #2.

George.

Well it is free ;)
I was actually surprised at how much was missing in the free version. You can so so much in the proper one. I still need to play with some bits, that my brain can only seem to handle in PS ;)

Yeah, I know it's free but, having had a play, it doesn't seem anywhere near as user friendly as Lightroom and you know me and technology, it really does need to be user friendly! :D

As I said, I've still got 6 months left of Adobe CC so I might take a view when that's finished.

Yeah, I know it's free but, having had a play, it doesn't seem anywhere near as user friendly as Lightroom and you know me and technology, it really does need to be user friendly! :D

As I said, I've still got 6 months left of Adobe CC so I might take a view when that's finished.

That`s why I started off with the free version, as it looked a lot less intinidating ;) If you use that to just raw process, the edit in etc. It`s a much easier learning curve.

Went in search for autumn colours and some conkers yesterday. First time out with my new Viltrox 56mm 1.4. Gotta say I'm really impressed with it and every bit as good as my ex 56mm 1.2 :)

Conker Picking_1 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

Conker Picking_5 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

Conker Picking_7 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

Conker Picking_22 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

Conker Picking_3 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

Conker Picking_49 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

Lovely set, mate. Lens looks nice and I would be tempted if I didn`t already have the 56 ;)

Inspired by @ianmarsh and his blue split tone shadows and contrast shots from London I went out last night with the sole purpose of finding a suitable candidate to try the same style of editing.
Because of Covid its quite easy to get subjects all to yourself and I chose the art gallery on Princes Street.

I did a very light split tone as I'm not sure night time photography is the best application but it was worth a shot to try the technique and I think its plausible.

I do like this style. Care to share any tips on achieving it? Is this mainly a case of adding blue filter to shadow areas?

Once you go beyond the equivalent of the Basic panel on LR, I find C1 much more user friendly than LR, but if you are used to LR, it does take a bit of a mental shift to use C1. e.g, controls with the same names don't necessarily do the same things in each program. and C1 is designed around the concept of being able to customise almost every aspect of the workflow.

Here is a list of resources for C1 that I have found useful. I realise this list is a bit overwhelming but I would definitely download Alex Svets guide. and have a look at the official Capture One introductory videos, especially the ones aimed at Lightroom users. This will save you a lot of frustration with C1.

#Capture One help and support from within C1 Help menu

Resource Hub: News, tutorials for specific tools, webinars and links to support.

Online user guide (including PDF download)

Tips produces overlays to explain what different parts of C1 are called.

Direct link to support

## Youtube videos

###Official Capture One site

An obvious place to go (I suspect it duplicates the videos on the resource hub)

Most are done by David Grover (C1 staff), but occasionally he has guests on. Overall tends to repeat introductory material for each new version, but a solid introduction and has many videos on specific topics. David seems to have a background in sales and training, first with Hasselblad and then with Phase One.

###Paul Reiffer

This is a series of editing viewers photographs using C1 by a professional photographer. I find these very good as he explains in more detail how things work and why he uses particular approaches. He also has some pro-tips videos on specific topics.

###Kasia Zmokla

Kasia has a degree in arts and design plus a Masters in Fine Arts and compared to the above brings a different approach both in terms of how she wants her photographs to look and in the way she uses C1.

###Timo Buske

No new videos here for 10 months, but like Kasia, he has a different approach to the standard C1 approach to using C1, while still producing “normal” looking photographs.

###Tim Fitzgerald

Covers a lot more than just C1 as he seems a bit of software junkie but he does give some very useful tips on working around C1 bugs as well as simple but helpful usability tips.

###Richard Boutwell

Not many videos here, but he has a background as a black and white printer (from the film days) for high end photographers and brings some useful insights into using C1 from the view of making high quality black and white prints.

###Paul Steunebrink

Very useful blog with blog entries covering individual C1 tasks and over views. He is a regular contributor to C1 forums.

###Alex Svet

Useful web site and webinars, but of most use is his free downloadable guide to C1 on the link above

####Nils Christoffersen

This link is to the sales page of the “Photographers Guide to Capture One”

Nils apparently worked for Phase One (Capture One) at one time and is “still involved in its development” whatever that means. But it’s the “only” up to date book available and most people find it useful.

very nice. You have a lot of warm light in your shot while mine were mostly cold, so my blue tone was across most of the shot (I shifted the balance in the split tone so almost everything except the brightest highlights were affected). Yours has the nice blue-gold balance and the reflections on the pavement are lovely

That second one is gorgeous!
Can I ask how you lit the mushroom, its tastefully executed

Thanks, Stuart (y)

I used the torch on my phone, and covered it in leaves ;) Then it was just a case of exposing for it.

Love that Stuart

Yes, I have a license key but, when I open the software, it tells me I'm on a trial version and gives me the option to buy which takes me to their website and asks me to choose from the paid tariffs
I think you've downloaded the full version as I have in the past too, think you need another download.

Edit. Sorry missed your post saying you'd sorted it.

Nice touch indeed mate very ingenious

Haha thanks ;) The one advantage, is that phones are flat, and seem to put out a nice white light. A friend has a little godox cube led thing, and that really puts a purple tint on everything :eek:

I had the 56mm 1.2 and to be honest I'd sell that, get the viltrox then use the spare money for other gear ;)

Ha that would end up costing me more than the difference ;)

Back