The official Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread - *1.0.4 standard and C-Log firmware now available*

Edit My Images
Yes
Having had mine now for a month or so, I have been waiting for an owners thread to be started to keep up to date with new firmware, tips, suggestions, Q&A and general Mark IV photography goodness Etc... No sign of one yet so here it is

Firmware Updates
Canon site 5div updaes HERE

Specific updates discussed in thread
1.0.2 here
1.0.3 here
C-Log here
1.0.4 here

Owners Manual PDF HERE

Mod edit
Other 5D MK 4 threads are available
HERE
&
HERE

Last edited:
Hi Dean

I'm tempted to upgrade my MkII to the MkIV but will be waiting to the new year I think. How are you liking it?

Hi Dean

I'm tempted to upgrade my MkII to the MkIV but will be waiting to the new year I think. How are you liking it?
Loving it Adrian, I think the improvements are all quite subtle individually from the mk3, but as a whole it's a super upgrade even from that, the difference from a mk2 & mk4 would feel immense in my opinion:)

Last edited:
remember the 8% sales tax...

$3500@1.2=£2919x1.08=£3150.......lot more than Panamoz,

Oh I'm not buying the 5dmk4, but I might be buying a lens :)

I think Panamoz is hard to beat at the moment for the 5d4 though.

Last edited:
Oh I'm not buying the 5dmk4, but I might be buying a lens :)

I think Panamoz is hard to beat at the moment for the 5d4 though.

Phew, glad to hear it, off thread but which lens(es) are showing a saving?

George.

Phew, glad to hear it, off thread but which lens(es) are showing a saving?

George.

At the moment I'm going to play it by ear as it's changing all the time, I'm simply going to walk in and see what's what [emoji3]

had my 5diV for 3 weeks now and suitably impressed.

Mainly going to be used for Low Level military aircraft photography, but want to dip my toe in to landscapes,looking for inspirations on Talk Photography.

Dave

had my 5diV for 3 weeks now and suitably impressed.

Mainly going to be used for Low Level military aircraft photography, but want to dip my toe in to landscapes,looking for inspirations on Talk Photography.

Dave
What kit did you move up from Dave ??

I received mine last week, moving from a 7D so quite a change and much to learn (I have an aversion to manuals but getting there)
Boy that is a big step !!!

I too go straight in there, manuals meh !!!

What's the most significant change for you, the sensor size, or even the camera size itself, I went from a 7d to 5d3 and I thought the camera itself was huge !!! So many differences, even done to the sound of the shutter :)

I really like the look of the 5D4, expensive though for a happy snapper such as myself. Tempted to buy one and see how it goes, selling it on would be cheaper than renting for a couple weeks that's for sure. Then I'd sell the bulk of my Fuji gear, 1D4 and 1Ds2 if it all works out... Or is this just another case of GAS :D

I really like the look of the 5D4, expensive though for a happy snapper such as myself. Tempted to buy one and see how it goes, selling it on would be cheaper than renting for a couple weeks that's for sure. Then I'd sell the bulk of my Fuji gear, 1D4 and 1Ds2 if it all works out... Or is this just another case of GAS :D
Blimey, plenty of kit there to sell !!! - It is (read was) so tempting as you say as the 5d4 is a splendid all rounder for sure :)

Had a 7d Mk1, never liked it. I still have a 40 D for backup, prefer it to the 7dmk1.
That's the opposite route I went, from 40d to 7di :)

5D4 arriving on Monday hopefully... Dusting off the lenses in readiness!
OOo exciting !!! where did you order from ??

And here is another firmware update already

Linky HERE

I'll probably add on mine tomorrow evening

Changes in the Firmware
Firmware Version 1.0.3 incorporates the following fixes and improvements:

1. Corrects a phenomenon in which the color of images varies depending on the metering mode selected during flash shooting.
2. Improves the reliability of communication when using the EF1.4X III or EF2X III extender.
3. Corrects the level display when the camera is held in the vertical orientation with the hand grip pointing downward.
4. Improves the reliability of communication via USB cable when using the Lens Data Registration function with EOS Utility 3.

Firmware Version 1.0.3 is for cameras with firmware Version 1.0.2 or earlier. If your camera's firmware is already Version 1.0.3, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
When updating the firmware of your camera, please review the instructions thoroughly before you update the firmware.
The firmware update takes approximately 4 minutes.

Thanks for the heads up with firmware update, will do this.

I have taken a few photos but not really had a proper play with the camera yet. I tried calibrating the new lens but not as tack sharp as I would like, so put it away to try again another day

Okay, camera has arrived. Very good first impressions, kind of regretting not getting a more modern full frame camera sooner (mine is a 1Ds2). Had a minor heart attack when I used a Sigma lens and got the circles over the shot, sorted that now though :D

Looking forward to giving it a good try out.

Thanks for the heads up with firmware update, will do this.

I have taken a few photos but not really had a proper play with the camera yet. I tried calibrating the new lens but not as tack sharp as I would like, so put it away to try again another day
No great strides with the firmware hey Donna, but good to see it getting updated/tweaked !!

It took me a while to get out and use mine fully, gave it a real good trial over a couple of days in Northumberland a couple of weeks ago... it is my new best friend :)

Okay, camera has arrived. Very good first impressions, kind of regretting not getting a more modern full frame camera sooner (mine is a 1Ds2). Had a minor heart attack when I used a Sigma lens and got the circles over the shot, sorted that now though :D

Looking forward to giving it a good try out.
Hahaaa glad you are sorted with it, hopefully you get some quality time with it in the festive period Julian :)

Been watching for a 5D4 owners thread too :naughty:
I use my camera a lot in low light, and so far the 5D4 is proving WAY better than the 5D3.
Not the subtle increment I was lead to expect, but a quantum leap.
I've had my first 5D4 photo published :banana:
December issue of Saga magazine - apologies for the poor quality snapshot of the mag, the real thing looks way better...
ISO 3200, 0.3s base exposure with a bracket of 5 stops.
Result is super clean and the shadows can be pushed so hard I really didn't need to bracket. Sort of thing I've been reading about the newer Nikons for years and been lusting after. Wasn't expecting anything this good from the 5D4.
i-2Ff6QXt-M.jpg

Here's a carnival shot, deliberately under exposed to keep detail in the extreme highlights and exposure bumped by 3.3 stops in post processing.
The result looks natural and there is no way I could have attempted anything this extreme with the 5D3.
i-TRM8wZJ-L.jpg

I'm a very happy bunny :)

Wow @DuncanDisorderly that is great, I'd be chuffed to bits, congratulations :clap:

I agree with the low light usage, did quite a few long exposure shots and noise handling has been great so far, well happy too :)

BUT I have low light noise reduction turned on, I have not done comparisons with the same frame and reduction On/Off, but hope too soon :)

I had a bit of fun trying it out the other night, saw the fog on the way home from work, so got my son ready to meet me (with my 16-35mm)

Attachments

• Social Media-1425.jpg
    Social Media-1425.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 83
I had a bit of fun trying it out the other night, saw the fog on the way home from work, so got my son ready to meet me (with my 16-35mm)
That's nice Donna, liking the composition too... must say the light level transitions are lovely and smooth !!!

Not had much of a chance to use mine yet, just playing around indoors in poor light... I'm lking it so far, it's surprising how much I have gotten used to the Fuji so it does feel heavy and bulky, files are much quicker to work on in Lightrrom though! Tried my luck at lunchtime today but it's pretty grim out there. Just a shot with the cheap Tamron 150-600, probably about a 50% crop:

Blue Tit
by Julian Jones, on Flickr

Back