The official Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread - *1.0.4 standard and C-Log firmware now available*

Exaxclty. That £100 wont even factor in to the resale price a few years down the line. Unless of course our first run versions become collectors items :)

Plus if you want to buy one new with C Log you need to pay more to begin with. It all works out the same.

I'm in agreement with you Dave & Raymond, not point in having someone work on a perfectly serviceable camera for an unnecessary upgrade.

I just need to get out and about and learn how to get the best from the camera. A trip to Loch Lomond and the Isle of Skye coming up soon.

Chris

As someone who has no interest in shooting video, I will not be bothering with the C Log upgrade. I suppose this could have a detrimental effect when I finally come to sell it, but that will not happen for some years.

Anyone thinking of going for the upgrade?

Chris
If it helped stills I would... but for me I do not need the 4k video as of yet, I would like to use it but I'm still fine tuning my abilities of the still settings :)

Hopefully by the time I sell or trade mine the upgrade will be a more palatable price... or Free :D

Quick question for Windows users - using win 10, my cr2 thumbs are just plain icons. My 6d and 7dmk2 show the actual thumb of the image, anyone else the same?
I can get by with bridge but prefer using windows for sorting into sub folders, just dragging and dropping

Quick question for Windows users - using win 10, my cr2 thumbs are just plain icons. My 6d and 7dmk2 show the actual thumb of the image, anyone else the same?
I can get by with bridge but prefer using windows for sorting into sub folders, just dragging and dropping
I'm on the Windows 10 insider fast ring and they still haven't implemented it yet, I have requested it several times :D

If it helped stills I would... but for me I do not need the 4k video as of yet, I would like to use it but I'm still fine tuning my abilities of the still settings :)

Hopefully by the time I sell or trade mine the upgrade will be a more palatable price... or Free :D

Yeah, Canon might well drop the cost later down the line.
Every time i get a new DSLR i intend to do more video, i never do. I say its nice to have but I'm more likely to get my iPhone out or GoPro than use my DSLR. Saying that now we have proper AF in video mode maybe i will use it more, but probably stick to 1080P as i dont have 4K playback yet.

I use Fastpicture Viewer Code to do this. Been using the free version for years but lost it, so i had to buy the current version. Only cost £10 so i didnt mind too much, and I expect it will work with any new camera i might buy in the future.

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

Oooo nice, that is sure one nice place to try it out !!

Yeah, if nothing else to test the weather sealing lol.

Ill be going up to the Highlands later in the year, and always look forward to getting out and about up there. For the first time i might take a tripod and try and do some proper landscape work, especially now I have a 16-35 lens to use.

Yeah, Canon might well drop the cost later down the line.
Every time i get a new DSLR i intend to do more video, i never do. I say its nice to have but I'm more likely to get my iPhone out or GoPro than use my DSLR. Saying that now we have proper AF in video mode maybe i will use it more, but probably stick to 1080P as i dont have 4K playback yet.
Same here no 4k playback but if I do get around to doing some I will do 4k just to future proof the files a tad...

I use Fastpicture Viewer Code to do this. Been using the free version for years but lost it, so i had to buy the current version. Only cost £10 so i didnt mind too much, and I expect it will work with any new camera i might buy in the future.

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/
Ahhhh not used that... there is a small workaround, as for some reason CR2 thumbnails show on the desktop, so you can drop them on the desktop as a sorting table :LOL:

Hahaaa yes, well it is meant to be improved, as long as lenses okay too, mine has been good so far though only the odd shower and minor sea spray... that's if you exclude the dunking in the sea for a couple of seconds when a wave took my feet away :bang:

Ill be going up to the Highlands later in the year, and always look forward to getting out and about up there. For the first time i might take a tripod and try and do some proper landscape work, especially now I have a 16-35 lens to use.
Ahhh my next fav place, only been a couple of times but I sure wouldn't go without my Lee Filters and Tripod :)

I will use 4K at some point I suppose. I want to try my mate Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and see how well that works. Never got on with it on my 80D.

I didn't realise about the workaround, first Ive heard of that. I'm surprised Microsoft cant just find a way to read the embedded thumbnails from any raw file. It wouldn't need to be anything else than that.

I went to a parade a few days after getting my 5D4. It rained a bit and i was the only one with a rain hood on their camera, even thoug hi know it would be fine. After spending all that money it didn't feel right to get ti wet lol.

We have family in Aviemore and Kemnay so they make a good base for getting out in to the hills and mountains. Cant wait to use the 16-35 from the top of the Cairngorms.

I will use 4K at some point I suppose. I want to try my mate Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and see how well that works. Never got on with it on my 80D.
Never really tried myself apart from by accident :D

I didn't realise about the workaround, first Ive heard of that. I'm surprised Microsoft cant just find a way to read the embedded thumbnails from any raw file. It wouldn't need to be anything else than that.
It should be MEGA easy for them, just very low on a huge list of wants I guess :(

I went to a parade a few days after getting my 5D4. It rained a bit and i was the only one with a rain hood on their camera, even thoug hi know it would be fine. After spending all that money it didn't feel right to get ti wet lol.
Hahaaa nought wrong with that, I brought a stormcoat for mine in the first week too :)

We have family in Aviemore and Kemnay so they make a good base for getting out in to the hills and mountains. Cant wait to use the 16-35 from the top of the Cairngorms.
Ahhhh you lucky bugger, that sounds perfect... enjoy (y)

In one way its handy that 4K uses a crop, as it means lenses designed for crop (although not EF-S) lenses work as they are supposed to but on a full frame camera. Of course that's only of any use to those that own a crop camera as well i suppose.

Microsoft have been very lapse with their raw file support. I cant remember ever having a Camera that just worked with Windows. Ive always used 3rd party apps and codecs for this sort of thing.

I got the rain coate a couple of years ago for my 5D3. I was out in light rain once and water got in down the side of the top wheel. It stopped working for a day or so. A bit worrying considering it's touted as a high end camera. I took no more chances. I believe the 5D4 is better sealed, but id rather not take a chance if i dont have to.

Aviemore is a lovely place in the summer. It seems to be more hill walking than skiing these days, but there is always something to shoot. It will be a novel experience using a tripod, even thoug hi have 3 good ones.

I'll be up the Wester Ross area end of May cant wait! Went out with the 16-35 f4L on Sunday, by far my favourite lens.
IMG_1561 by Robert Smith, on Flickr

I love that under the pier sunset Bob.

My trip to Scotland will be a couple of nights around Loch Lomond, mainly to take a flight in a float-plane (Christmas present), followed by the rest of the week exploring Skye. Hoping this blast of winter is clearing the way ready for some decent weather in May.

Chris

Agreed that is a wonderful point of view, I love the colours reflecting in the water between them stanchions!!

Agree with all the above. Stunning shot and the WA lens really add's to the dramatic feel. This lens definitely produces a certain magical look IME.

Took this today. Low light but wanted to try my 24-70 f/4 out. Seemed to work ok. This is a cropped quite a bit and just processed on my ipad. Couldnt be bothered to get up off the couch lol.

5D4_2977.jpg

Nah, not interested at all. I got mine from Panamoz so not sure how i stand anyway, but id rather not have anyone tinker with my perfectly working camera unless i really need them to.

It won't matter where you purchased the camera. If it's a repair you need to pay for they will do it regardless of where you got it.

Different story however with a warranty repair.

I'm thinking of replacing my 5D3 with the 5D4 but have heard that there are issues with Sigma lenses. As I have three of them, including the 150-600 Sport, I'm more than interested in whether or not the problems have been fixed.

Anyone able to say whether or not the 5D4 is actually shipping with the latest 4k video specs and C log?

With prices varying and changing as they do it's pretty difficult to see.

Fair point, I just got mine from panamoz this morning for £2461 but I can't even get the new button to work yet so I don't have a clue how to check what you're asking haha, I also don't have any sigma lenses to see if they cause a problem either, sorry

Anyone able to say whether or not the 5D4 is actually shipping with the latest 4k video specs and C log?
As far as I am aware it will always be an optional upgrade, and also pretty sure it would be clearly stated in the add if it was already installed, otherwise the price compared to competitors may appear over inflated :)

The main dial on my 5d iv is playing up, sometimes taking several clicks to change the shutter speed or to go to the next menu... and sometimes it suddenly goes back a menu instead of forward. Or it might jump several of the menus. Really strange. Has anyone else had any issues? I've tried taking battery and cards out.

My shutter count is 18K so it's not heavily used. It hasn't had a trauma or got wet, in fact it hasn't had an awful lot of use recently as I've bought an R. I've had several Canon bodies before and never had any issues.

Should I just contact Elstree direct or do I go through Canon? Any advice welcomed.

Just to update - it got to the point where I couldn't use the dial at all. It is now on it's way back from Canon having been fixed (I hope!). Apparently they've replaced the top plate.
Very impressed with their turnaround time, though I did make a point of signing up to CPS before I sent it off. Posted it on Thursday and arrives back today.

Just to update - it got to the point where I couldn't use the dial at all. It is now on it's way back from Canon having been fixed (I hope!). Apparently they've replaced the top plate.
Very impressed with their turnaround time, though I did make a point of signing up to CPS before I sent it off. Posted it on Thursday and arrives back today.

In my experience they don't tend to fix anything but instead replacing entire module, sometimes much bigger than you ever expect.

My 35L's little plastic focus distance window on the barrel was cracked, they replaced the entire lens barrel. So I got a totally new shell, with a new serial number to boot.

A 600EX flash had somehow melted on the top (no idea if it was external or internal) but the worksheet said they replaced the shell and the PCB.

M 5DIV's SD card slot couldn't hold the SD card in place, it just pops out. They replaced the SD card mechanism and also the PCB.

In my experience they don't tend to fix anything but instead replacing entire module, sometimes much bigger than you ever expect.

My 35L's little plastic focus distance window on the barrel was cracked, they replaced the entire lens barrel. So I got a totally new shell, with a new serial number to boot.

A 600EX flash had somehow melted on the top (no idea if it was external or internal) but the worksheet said they replaced the shell and the PCB.

M 5DIV's SD card slot couldn't hold the SD card in place, it just pops out. They replaced the SD card mechanism and also the PCB.
Interesting. I've never had to send anything off to Canon before. I did have a problem with the card reader on my Olympus Em1 ii and they replaced the card reader. I guess it's just quicker to replace the whole thing. The service from both Canon and Olympus could not have been better. I'm very happy to get my camera back :)

Old thread resurrection time!

My mkIV has developed the same problem and is gradually getting worse. I'm well out of warranty too so it looks like £170 for a fixed price top plate replacement.

Old thread resurrection time!

My mkIV has developed the same problem and is gradually getting worse. I'm well out of warranty too so it looks like £170 for a fixed price top plate replacement.
Interesting! I'd forgotten that this had ever happened. I've not had any problems with it at all since.

I think when I sent it off I gave them a top price with which to go ahead and make the repair immediately rather than getting a quote.

I've got an R5 on order and I'm on the fence about keeping the mkIV at the minute. Either way, I'm going to have to get it fixed I suppose.
I've been tempted by the R5. I bought the R thinking I would sell the 5D4, but I much prefer the 5D4. I just know that it will do what I need and I know my way round it so well. I was thinking of trading both in for the R5 but I am nervous about losing the 5D4.

When you get your R5 please let us know how you get on with it in the R thread. It sounds like a few people are waiting for delivery.

Help please.

I have just purchased a 5D Mark iv and wondered if anyone has used the GodoxTT680 flash with that camera. My camera is brand new so I suppose it will have all the latest software.

Help please.

I have just purchased a 5D Mark iv and wondered if anyone has used the GodoxTT680 flash with that camera. My camera is brand new so I suppose it will have all the latest software.

Anyone ?.

Interesting! I'd forgotten that this had ever happened. I've not had any problems with it at all since.

I think when I sent it off I gave them a top price with which to go ahead and make the repair immediately rather than getting a quote.

I sent my mk4 in to Elstree on Monday via UPS. Received Tuesday evening. Confirmation of receipt on Wednesday at 10:13 this morning, confirmation of amount to pay at 13:36 this afternoon. £107. Just got the notification that it will be delivered by close of play tomorrow.

I'd pre-authorised £250 (thinking it would be a top plate replacement) so was pleasantly surprised. They confirmed 'control wheel assembly' when I rang up to pay so not sure the extent of what have been replaced.

Very impressed with the price and turn-around time. I don't know if it made any difference but I registered all my gear on CPS and scraped Silver before sending it in. I did get a couple of free months of Adobe Photography plan at least.

I sent my mk4 in to Elstree on Monday via UPS. Received Tuesday evening. Confirmation of receipt on Wednesday at 10:13 this morning, confirmation of amount to pay at 13:36 this afternoon. £107. Just got the notification that it will be delivered by close of play tomorrow.

I'd pre-authorised £250 (thinking it would be a top plate replacement) so was pleasantly surprised. They confirmed 'control wheel assembly' when I rang up to pay so not sure the extent of what have been replaced.

Very impressed with the price and turn-around time. I don't know if it made any difference but I registered all my gear on CPS and scraped Silver before sending it in. I did get a couple of free months of Adobe Photography plan at least.
That's interesting and cheaper than my repair! Mine didn't mention control wheel assembly if I remember rightly so perhaps it was a different problem.

I was also very impressed with their communications and turn around time. I think registering with CPS is worth it too.

Back