Tim's TP 52 for 2018 Challenge (wk 12 juxtaposition added)

Great action shots for over, nothing to criticise (y)

Good idea for Stark, Tim, and executed really well - it's definitely a bit disturbing! Both images for Over are striking action shots but I do prefer the second one without the big central copyright notice, and the fact that the poles are flattened really accentuates the speed and adds drama :clap:

Ages ... nice/different approach.

Sharp ... yeah, well focused on the sharp bits. (y)

Hi Tim

On age I would play around with the cropping, the curve bit on the left does not fit in with the rest of the image.

Sharp Teeth, I find the foreground object strange as it appears to have a similar patten to the cats.

Pete

Hi Tim

On age I would play around with the cropping, the curve bit on the left does not fit in with the rest of the image.

Sharp Teeth, I find the foreground object strange as it appears to have a similar patten to the cats.

Pete

Hi Pete, good points thank you.

The curve bit was a hanging light and foreground object was a mossy rock with some snow on it. Both can be fixed with a crop.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Age - A different take on the theme well spotted I may have been tempted to crop the top off as the light is a little distracting

Sharp - I like that the OOF rock in the foreground adds a nice base to the image for me I wouldn't want to be anywhere near those teeth come feeding time!

Hi Tim,
Age - Fits the theme, but sorry, for the me execution is a bit off. It seems to tilt to one side and the reflections are very off putting. I may have tried for something tighter and shallower, but if you only had the wide f/4 with you, that wasn't an option.
Sharp - Spot on :) You'll be challenging @Cobra for his gob shot crown !!!
Anyway, nicely sharp with some lovely background blur.

Hi Tim,

Age - A different take on the theme well spotted I may have been tempted to crop the top off as the light is a little distracting

Sharp - I like that the OOF rock in the foreground adds a nice base to the image for me I wouldn't want to be anywhere near those teeth come feeding time!

Age(ing) - Interesting take on the theme, just not to sure the composition works for me. but I expect you where limited as to what you could do.

Sharp - those teeth look very sharp, I can't fault this image at all.

Hi Tim,
Age - Fits the theme, but sorry, for the me execution is a bit off. It seems to tilt to one side and the reflections are very off putting. I may have tried for something tighter and shallower, but if you only had the wide f/4 with you, that wasn't an option.
Sharp - Spot on :) You'll be challenging @Cobra for his gob shot crown !!!
Anyway, nicely sharp with some lovely background blur.

Thank you for taking the time to comment :) Age - didn't really work I agree, may reshoot later in the year. I was looking for a slice through the ground showing the layers from different ages, but only found the sign.
Sharp was lucky timing. These are twins playing, I think the one snarling is called Villy (someone let me know on Instagram).

Age doesn't really work for me, but great shot for sharp! Composition works perfectly! (y)

I feel an 'icy' kinda theme going on here - anyone would think we'd had loads of ice and snow :exit:

Both nice entries - very thick ice on both

I would have said for the second one - 'an abundance of blue cast' though ;)

I feel an 'icy' kinda theme going on here - anyone would think we'd had loads of ice and snow :exit:

Both nice entries - very thick ice on both

I would have said for the second one - 'an abundance of blue cast' though ;)

Thank you, about the blue it was shot about 30 minutes before dawn in the blue hour

Hi Tim,
Thick - Nicely exposed, on theme. My only suggestion here would be perhaps a bit more DoF so that the whole of the subject is sharp. Dunno though, it's your artistic choice.
Abundance - I like the use of the blues in this, it gives it a really cold feel. Nicely sharp throughout the whole of the important parts of the image. (y)

Certainly an abundance of ice and quite topical as we have have a lot of that in the UK right now, looks a bit blue on my monitor.

Age - spot on for the theme
Sharp - great capture nicely focused on the face which one won I wonder.
Thick and Abundance - both very topical and fit their themes I like thick better of the two

Tim Thick, not as clean as I would have liked.
Abundance, while the blue adds to the image, I feel there is just a bit too much.

Pete

Loving your Abundance of ice, what a find! .... looks a but blue tho! A levels tweek?

You've certainly had it cold Tim. I love the abundance shot, contrary to most of the others I like the blue. Makes me cold just looking at it

Hi Tim,
Thick - Nicely exposed, on theme. My only suggestion here would be perhaps a bit more DoF so that the whole of the subject is sharp. Dunno though, it's your artistic choice.
Abundance - I like the use of the blues in this, it gives it a really cold feel. Nicely sharp throughout the whole of the important parts of the image. (y)

Good point about thick, it was a bit of a rush job didn't think of the DOF

Two for one! Great shots of ice and snow!

Thanks! I've not seen ice like that before

Certainly an abundance of ice and quite topical as we have have a lot of that in the UK right now, looks a bit blue on my monitor.

Thanks and yes I think a bit too blue, it was before dawn in the blue hour but even so I need to look at that.

Age - spot on for the theme
Sharp - great capture nicely focused on the face which one won I wonder.
Thick and Abundance - both very topical and fit their themes I like thick better of the two

The one with the back to us came out on top :)

Thick - on theme and white balance looks ok for the image.
Abundance - fits the theme, lovely image and i dont mind the blue cast. I think it adds a little interest to the image.

Thank you :)

Tim Thick, not as clean as I would have liked.
Abundance, while the blue adds to the image, I feel there is just a bit too much.

Pete

Yes, I should dial back the blue, thanks.

Loving your Abundance of ice, what a find! .... looks a but blue tho! A levels tweek?

We had so much ice here I had an idea this waterfall might have iced up too, so I set the alarm very early and got there before work. Good thing too as it warmed up and was gone soon after.

Abundance - Nice composition, i like the icicles and the mound at the bottom of the shot, but I too find it all a tad blue.

Thanks, as above I'll dial back the blue

You've certainly had it cold Tim. I love the abundance shot, contrary to most of the others I like the blue. Makes me cold just looking at it

Thanks!

Actually, compared to the fellow she looks positively light.

Challenging light, presumably quite a bit of movement to contend with and I'm guessing from the size of the image, quite a bit of distance too. Without being able to zoom in further it seems sharp (though I'm not sure). I'm surprised you were able to get a 1DX in (I'm assuming you weren't press).
Good use of the 2.8 to get the skaters separated from the background like that :)

Challenging light, presumably quite a bit of movement to contend with and I'm guessing from the size of the image, quite a bit of distance too. Without being able to zoom in further it seems sharp (though I'm not sure). I'm surprised you were able to get a 1DX in (I'm assuming you weren't press).
Good use of the 2.8 to get the skaters separated from the background like that :)

Was a great event to shoot. I’ve had the 1DX for about 6 months and it’s perfect for this type of thing.

Heavy shot works really well for me Sir, good timing & very well captured and presented.(y)

George.

Mmm great shot in very tricky light but not sure Miss Savchenko would appreciate being considered heavy ;):D

Just like this a lot Tim. Very random and abstract, great colours and the blur of the rain on the window just makes it work

Back