Monthly Tracer's 2013-ETC; January

Edit My Images
Yes
A challenge with a difference - I really like it! However I have really struggled with this first month and the results are pretty much rubbish. It didn't help that I forgot about it until after the Christmas lights came down. Still, at least I have tried and it has been a very useful learning curve.

JANUARY

Physiograms
I have never tried these before as although I have seen some beautiful images I am not really interested in doing them myself -- and it shows! It certainly makes me appreciate the wonderful achievements elsewhere.

physgm5935.jpg

physg5938.jpg

Star trails
I really wanted to do some star trails but the weather has been hopeless. This was just a test shot from the back garden but turned out to be the only one I managed. I intend to pursue this, though, if the skies ever clear. I have already learned that I need to do a custom white balance...

startrails1b.jpg

City lights
As a female I am bit reluctant to go out alone with a tripod in the city, though there are lots of good night scenes to be had. However for this shot I could balance the camera on a beanbag on the wall overlooking the road. It was bitterly cold and I couldn't see what I was doing, so by the time I had set things up the traffic had thinned out a lot. Not very interesting but at least I can now tick off light trails.

lighttrail5917.jpg

When I got home my hands were so cold I could hardly get the key in the lock - it took a large mug of hot chocolate before I thawed out again.

Night lights
The last two are from a a family visit to Stirling Castle. They are just hand-held snaps with VR, and a bit of noise reduction added later. The floodlights have different colours. I rather like the last one which reminds me of a knight in armour, watching over the sleeping city below.

stirlingcastle5800.jpg

stirlingcastle58071.jpg

I hope I can do a bit better next month :LOL:. I'll comment on the other entries in the next few days.

Well done for completing the first month with half an hour spare :)

You done well for first attempts at some of them. At least you can tick off those boxes. I like the last one most, the contrast between the 21st century lightings and the medieval building, the colour of the greenish stones and the blueish sky.

Some good attempts here on what I think was a difficult 1st theme.
I see what you mean about the Knight looking over the city very nice shot.

You got some nice long startrails (well longer than mine) although I might have either had more of the chimney pots in shot or removed them completly.

Those physiograms look like they've had too much to drink! :LOL: Well done on attempting them, I wasn't really interested in them either.

You've got some good length in the star trails. I actually like the inclusion of the chimney, I think it would look better if it was straighter tho. Like you say, custom white balance would take the green tint away.

I think your last night shot has lovely colours and composition too, I think that's my favourite of your first 6. On to February (y)

Thanks guys! I'm hoping February's themes will come up soon so that I can plan things a bit better.

Some good shots there :)

I think maybe your physiograms could have done to be a little more symmetrical, but I like the colour and the fine lines.

Your star trails are good, but I'd have liked more foreground interest; what is that that's just edging into the shot? There's too little of it to help I think; instead it's distracting.

Your light trails are good for a first go; as you say a bit more traffic would have been good, but it's nice and sharp.

Of the two night light shots I prefer the second, which I think is actually the best of the lot. Lovely colours, pin sharp, interesting subject, and a nice composition :)

Back