weekly Vanishedbob's 52 Thread 2020

Super image, David! As Clive says, every football fan will understand the sense of anticipation as you approach the ground and see the stands rising up in front of you. The composition and buildings leaning in on both sides combine well to convey that sense of scale and I like your gritty processing.

At first I thought you find pleasure in walking through suburban streets (I'm not judging), but your explanation made it clear. Right on theme, and I like the processing!

just wandered around on my lunch hour looking for subjects and this shot was literally just waiting on our carpenter's bench.
Very fortuitous that :)
The processing takes me straight back to the "Woodwork" lessons at school, I can almost smell the sawdust. (y)

Week 3 Tools.

For this week's challenge, I am fortunate to work for a business which has it's own factory and workshop onsite. I just wandered around on my lunch hour looking for subjects and this shot was literally just waiting on our carpenter's bench.

Workshop by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

Hi vanishedbob, I really love the feel in this shot. I love the old “typed” pack of instructions underneath the tools. This gives you the feel of stepping back in time, especially with the colours and composition.

I really like the composition of the tool shot. Somehow it just all 'sits' and looks very natural. Well spotted!

Great capture David!(y)
Nicely processed with slightly muted colours which suit the image well.
I love that old, chunky pencil and the battered square, and I agree with @Shugpug that the Bic pen doesn't quite fit, but I'm sure if you were to move them around, you might have been shouted at...so perfectly understandable!!:giggle:

Wonderful tool image, a proper craftsmans workplace, although the pen does look slightly out of place as stated above, having said that though I do like the splash of blue that it adds.

It works well I like that it is as left by the carpenter with debris around and the processing suits it.

Week 4. Discarded.

Bit of a cheat this, as photo is a few weeks old, taken on a new year trip to my in laws in North Wales. But I thought it fit this week's theme nicely. This is the TSS Duke of Lancaster. A Passenger Steamer, formerly owned by Sealink which has been in Dry Dock at Mostyn near Queensferry since 1979. Rather naively I thought I'd be able to have a wander round and take some photos on board, but sadly it's not an attraction open to the public, which restricted my vantage point to behind a fence and a bush.

IMG_6901 by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

That's quite a large thing to be discarded, David, Archive or not, the brambles in the foreground add to the theme.

I thought we might be in for an urbex report on the funship.
Does it still have the fantastic urban artwork on the sides (ok graffiti - but it was very well done).
Your shot doesn't make it look as trashed as many that I've seen. It almost looks like it could be floated away...

I thought we might be in for an urbex report on the funship.
Does it still have the fantastic urban artwork on the sides (ok graffiti - but it was very well done).
Your shot doesn't make it look as trashed as many that I've seen. It almost looks like it could be floated away...

They have painted out the graffiti. Which is a shame. Apparently one of those interactive experience companies wants to take it on to do Zombie Apocalypse Events

Archive or not, it's a great find, and well photographed too.(y)
The sky is excellent and well exposed.
It is indeed a shame that something as impressive is simply discarded...but then again sea going vessels age a lot more quickly, though I'm no marine engineer.
Great shot David.

Quite a striking image, I hope it does get re-purposed and not just left to rust and rot away,

Week 5 Snapper's Choice.

This is a candid shot of a family friend taken at a party about 18 months ago. The host asked if I could do a few shots at the event. I was a relative beginner at the time and just wandered round taking a few photos some posed some not. It was the first time I had done anything like this and a lot of the controls on my camera were still alien to me, although I had gone manual and was shooting RAW by this point. In the end, I managed to provide a fair few that I was happy to pass on, but I found a few a bit "noisy" due to ISO unfamiliarity.

This photo was one I was quite happy with on the night. I am not a confident portrait photographer nor do I ever seem to get a Black & White shot I am happy with. This edit was done specifically for Snapper's Choice this week so I could submit it for hopefully constructive critique.

Trevor by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
With the grain that you get on a 1300D at 1600ISO (I had a 1000D, I know what they are like!) it's quite hard to tell if the focis was spot on the closest eye, or on the nose, but it looks okay to me and at normal viewing distance it looks good.
I do like the crunched blacks and I have to say it stopped me in my tracks when I was scrolling through the thread, so that's a good thing :)

Anything I would do differently on the edit? Dunno, I did think maybe get rid of the white triangle on the top right. but then again maybe not as it helps frame his face. Do something with the lights on the left? Again maybe, maybe not. I think I would leave it as is tbh. (y)

I like the harsh look and processing on this.

In thought it was Rod Stewart when first scolling down :LOL:

Nice shot and I too like the gritty look of the image

Nice candid shot, plenty of contrast and, for me, it suits the grainy look. I do wonder if the whites could be reduced a tad (the back of the hand and hair are quite bright - although that may have been on purpose of course). Really nice.

That ship looks in perfect working order to me :) Good find, well exposed and I like the colours!

You snapper's choice is brilliant. Processing works well (y)

Last edited:
Back