weekly viv1969 (Ruth) 52 Challenge - SPIRAL Added

Hi Ruth, not a shoehorn by any means some nice detail in the wood, not the most exciting pic but fits the theme well

I knew someone wood try a play on words :whistle:

Decent placeholder, nice detail and textures....just needs to a clooooeerrrrrr :)

Cheers.

Thank you Andy :)

Hi Ruth, not a shoehorn by any means some nice detail in the wood, not the most exciting pic but fits the theme well

Allan, cheers for commenting :)

Andy and Chris, you are both quite mad :LOL:

Hi Ruth,

Close up - I think that fits the theme nicely, and there's a lot of detail in the grain. I think the theme is deceptively simple - not as easy as you think at first :)

Hi Ruth,

Not sure if I commented on your previous. Your crowd shot is great fun, nicely exposed and great expressions on the eggs,

close up matches the theme perfect, allbeit not as creative as your other shots, it does/says what it needs to very well though. Well done

Hey Ruth :)

Mouth - Just love this image, the slightly closed hand/wrinkles on the palm really make this work for me, super detail and I'm also liking the brickwork background... DoF bang on too, nice one :thumbs

Crowd - now that is good thinking, love all the expressions you have come up with. Another well set up shot, lighting is pretty even and the composition works well too - 'Cracking' photo :clap:

Close Up - Nope the closest of images but still liking the detail, something about wood grain I really like, I'm also just liking the vertical bands, again another element of photo's I really enjoy... Well lit again, will do for me :)

Hi Ruth,

Close up - I think that fits the theme nicely, and there's a lot of detail in the grain. I think the theme is deceptively simple - not as easy as you think at first :)

Thanks Lorraine.
You're right, I didn't this theme easy at all! :)

Hi Ruth,

Not sure if I commented on your previous. Your crowd shot is great fun, nicely exposed and great expressions on the eggs,

close up matches the theme perfect, allbeit not as creative as your other shots, it does/says what it needs to very well though. Well done

Thanks Nathan...appreciate your taking a look and commenting :)

Hey Ruth :)

Mouth - Just love this image, the slightly closed hand/wrinkles on the palm really make this work for me, super detail and I'm also liking the brickwork background... DoF bang on too, nice one :thumbs

Crowd - now that is good thinking, love all the expressions you have come up with. Another well set up shot, lighting is pretty even and the composition works well too - 'Cracking' photo :clap:

Close Up - Nope the closest of images but still liking the detail, something about wood grain I really like, I'm also just liking the vertical bands, again another element of photo's I really enjoy... Well lit again, will do for me :)

Cheers DK
I'm trying to think laterally with the themes.
Some I succeed, some I fail.
(I'm a fan of the grain in wood too btw) :)

Hi Ruth, not your most creatives shot as you say, but neither was mine last week ;) we shoot what we can, when we can and this one works for me. Lots of detail in the wood and I'd like to see the arty farty version too :D

Hi Ruth, not your most creatives shot as you say, but neither was mine last week ;) we shoot what we can, when we can and this one works for me. Lots of detail in the wood and I'd like to see the arty farty version too :D

Thanks Jill.....appreciate that :)
I'll post the arty farty shot when I get home tonight.

I'm looking forward to the clocks going forward at the weekend.
It's give me back evenings. More time to plot :LOL:

Hi Ruth

Close Up ... I agree with the general consensus, and look forward to your arty farty shot. ;)

Hi Ruth

Close Up ... I agree with the general consensus, and look forward to your arty farty shot. ;)

Thanks David :)

And DAMMIT!!!....Arty farty shot going up tonight.....Brain like a sieve, me :LOL: :banghead:

Last edited:
I like your CLOSE UP shot for what you can't see, as much as for what you can.
Close-ups provide the most detail and in general we know exactly what the shot is a close up of. So we are basically looking at details which are only apparent by zooming in etc etc.

But, at the same time, in some people's shots the interest can lie, I think, in imagining what the broader scene is.

So this is a fence. a hut, a wall and so on ..........

I remember seeing this for the first time on a very old BW TV programme, with contestants guessing as the image zoomed out. And it is still used in this way. Always found it quite fascinating!!

A close-up or closeup in filmmaking, television production, still photography and the comic strip medium is a type of shot, which tightly frames a person or an object. Close-ups are one of the standard shots used regularly with medium shots and long shots (cinematic techniques). Close-ups display the most detail, but they do not include the broader scene.

Nicked from Wikipedia btw just to confirm my point.

My own offering (CLOSE UP #3) is an attempt to present that idea of a challenge. "Yeah, it's a close up, but of what?"

I like your CLOSE UP shot for what you can't see, as much as for what you can.
Close-ups provide the most detail and in general we know exactly what the shot is a close up of. So we are basically looking at details which are only apparent by zooming in etc etc.

But, at the same time, in some people's shots the interest can lie, I think, in imagining what the broader scene is.

So this is a fence. a hut, a wall and so on ..........

I remember seeing this for the first time on a very old BW TV programme, with contestants guessing as the image zoomed out. And it is still used in this way. Always found it quite fascinating!!

A close-up or closeup in filmmaking, television production, still photography and the comic strip medium is a type of shot, which tightly frames a person or an object. Close-ups are one of the standard shots used regularly with medium shots and long shots (cinematic techniques). Close-ups display the most detail, but they do not include the broader scene.

Nicked from Wikipedia btw just to confirm my point.

My own offering (CLOSE UP #3) is an attempt to present that idea of a challenge. "Yeah, it's a close up, but of what?"

Thank you for that Bob.....appreciate the interpretation.

Hi Ruth ....I missed your CROWD shot somehow ...I love it :)...what a original idea.
Close ...maybe a really close focus on one of those knots in the wood would have given it a more abstract look, looking forward to the arty farty one :)

Thanks Susie.
Sadly all the eggs with faces have been.....shall we say, redistributed :LOL: They did make me chuckle though.

Nice one Ruth, thats a canny old machine.

Phil
Well lit, crisp but with subtle use of DoF to give the shot depth.
Very nice.

Thank you chaps.
I had an alternative as I wasn't that sure.
That old hand drill still gets used and I'm told it's almost as old as me :LOL:

Hi Nice idea Ruth that certainly has some age to it and a fine piece of machinery, I find the chuck key a bit odd where it is though

Hi Ruth, I'm really liking your machine shot. I'm a big fan of things that aren't shiny & new any more, but have loads of character instead, and this one's certainly got that. It looks really good against the plain white background too :clap:

Ooo My dad had one of those (footprint bit and brace)
Interesting take on the theme Ruth, I like it (y)

Close Up - I like the arty farty one. The colouring behind the flower is a nice touch.

Machine - Less keen on this I’m afraid. Combining this with last week’s theme and having a close up of part of the drill I think would have brought interest to the image

Nice idea. Good ol' Sheffield Steel!!

YEah...can't beat it I'm told. Cheers Bob!

Hi Ruth ...a really nice cool clean shot ..I like it.

Thanks Susie...Much appreciated :)

Hi Nice idea Ruth that certainly has some age to it and a fine piece of machinery, I find the chuck key a bit odd where it is though

Thanks Allen.
I'll let you in on a little secret....That's not the original chuck key. :)
I tried it all kinds of ways but mostly it kept falling out :LOL:
I'm wishing I'd included a bit now.

Hi Ruth, I'm really liking your machine shot. I'm a big fan of things that aren't shiny & new any more, but have loads of character instead, and this one's certainly got that. It looks really good against the plain white background too :clap:

Lorraine, thank you.
I like older stuff too....I really like that this old drill only had a touch of the original blue paint left on it, and the texture of the metal.

Ooo My dad had one of those (footprint bit and brace)
Interesting take on the theme Ruth, I like it (y)

Thanks Chris :)
I suspect most people's dad had one at some point! :)

Close Up - I like the arty farty one. The colouring behind the flower is a nice touch.

Machine - Less keen on this I’m afraid. Combining this with last week’s theme and having a close up of part of the drill I think would have brought interest to the image

Hi Tim....thanks for the comments.
This probably would have made a good idea for last week, it never crossed my mind at the time!! :)

Love the idea of crowd, it made me smile!
Of the 2 close ups I prefer the 2nd edit, I think the swirly background makes it, just would lighten inside the daff a tad though
:)

BLIMEY... amazed you have the chuck key still :D

Now them were the days drilling out locks and keeps with one of them !!! liking how you have laid this out with the key in the chuck, and the handle turned just right to expose it in full, nicely lit too - Like It (y)

I liked your wood for close up might be a simple idea but some lovely detail sometimes the simple shot work out for the best.
Machine wow thats a blast from the past. nicely shot background works well think the chuck key adds to the picture and is used well to prop the front and its nice to see its made from Sheffield Steel all great things come from Sheffield :)

Hey Ruth ... nearly missed your arty farty image: very nice indeed and different, note to self must get more arty farty.

Good idea for the Machine shot ... nice POV and focus. But I also see where @Delta Skies is coming from ... I don't know if there's any cog meets cog action visible on the other side of the drill.

hmm, no shadows, you cracked the lighting. It makes the machine stand out and looks brilliant :) I am not sure about the oof handle though, I think having it all in focus might have worked a tiny bit better

Hi there,

I'm using this handy 4 day weekend to catch up on comments. I've surprised with how far behind I am :eek:

Crowd: What a great fun shot :) A very good interpretation to the theme. A bit odd that a couple of the eggs seem happy about the poor chap getting his shell broken though!
Close up: I really like the wood grain but the photo lacks a bit of punch for me. The mini daff looks great though. Great composition. What was it sitting on?
Machine: Lovely lighting on that one (y) I think a closer crop of the gears / chuck could work as well.

Love the idea of crowd, it made me smile!
Of the 2 close ups I prefer the 2nd edit, I think the swirly background makes it, just would lighten inside the daff a tad though
:)

BLIMEY... amazed you have the chuck key still :D

Now them were the days drilling out locks and keeps with one of them !!! liking how you have laid this out with the key in the chuck, and the handle turned just right to expose it in full, nicely lit too - Like It (y)

I liked your wood for close up might be a simple idea but some lovely detail sometimes the simple shot work out for the best.
Machine wow thats a blast from the past. nicely shot background works well think the chuck key adds to the picture and is used well to prop the front and its nice to see its made from Sheffield Steel all great things come from Sheffield :)

Machine, needs a little more 'pop' in my opinion, but what a wonderful machine and made in Sheffield.

Cheers.

Hey Ruth ... nearly missed your arty farty image: very nice indeed and different, note to self must get more arty farty.

Good idea for the Machine shot ... nice POV and focus. But I also see where @Delta Skies is coming from ... I don't know if there's any cog meets cog action visible on the other side of the drill.

hmm, no shadows, you cracked the lighting. It makes the machine stand out and looks brilliant :) I am not sure about the oof handle though, I think having it all in focus might have worked a tiny bit better

Hi there,

I'm using this handy 4 day weekend to catch up on comments. I've surprised with how far behind I am :eek:

Crowd: What a great fun shot :) A very good interpretation to the theme. A bit odd that a couple of the eggs seem happy about the poor chap getting his shell broken though!
Close up: I really like the wood grain but the photo lacks a bit of punch for me. The mini daff looks great though. Great composition. What was it sitting on?
Machine: Lovely lighting on that one (y) I think a closer crop of the gears / chuck could work as well.

Thanks all for the lovely comments....sorry for the delay in saying so, but a long weekend away beckoned :)

@Leebert Daff was sitting on a saucer of white poster paint with yellow paint run through it with a cocktail strick :)

Hi, very colourful and lots of letters, so can't fault it but I have to say i really like the feathers great colour texture and detail :clap:

Back