• 26?

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 52?

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • "Free weeks" instead of re-shoots

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Easier themes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not really comfortable critiquing others work ( for what ever reason)

• Should we be more honest with feed back?

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Should the guidelines be made hard and fast rules?

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • would you like to mentor a new comer

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Would you like to be mentored?

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • do you really want a 52 in 2019?

• ?

• ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aha, now I see why the discussion thread has been so quiet - you've been in here! I have just posted a grumble/update in there so feel free to join in or shoot me down :D

I agree with a lot of @Bebop 's post above, especially about it being a friendly and supportive part of the forum and being forced out of my comfort zone, so hopefully next year the enthusiasm will return and be maintained through the challenges and dips that most of us seem to face during the year.

Having just signed up for the 52s for 2019 (at least I think I did....maybe I didn't officially sign up....I'm new here....lot to learn ) I'm a little apprehensive of what is in store for me. It'll be my first venture of this type.

I'm not backing out by any means, but I've never critiqued another persons work, and I have to say it makes me a little nervous!
I guess I'm just fishing for a little reassurance! :)

Anyway, I feel positive about it, and I'm looking forward to being torn to pieces in the critique threads!!:D

Having just signed up for the 52s for 2019 (at least I think I did....maybe I didn't officially sign up....I'm new here....lot to learn ) I'm a little apprehensive of what is in store for me. It'll be my first venture of this type.

I'm not backing out by any means, but I've never critiqued another persons work, and I have to say it makes me a little nervous!

Anyway, I feel positive about it, and I'm looking forward to being torn to pieces in the critique threads!!:D

You'll never be torn to pieces. Maybe nibbled a tiny bit :D Seriously, critique one of the things we have been discussing in this thread and how to make it more 'honest' going forward. You will always get positive feedback but people can be reluctant to offer advice on how something might be done better, in case of upsetting the photographer. There has been the odd 'flounce' in past years. What you will get is plenty of encouragement, so just dive in.

When it comes to commenting on other's images, just start off by saying what you like or what caught your eye, or even 'how did you do that?' You'll soon get to know the people taking part in the 52 and you will get so much out of it.

Welcome aboard!

The natives are friendly :) no one gets torn to pieces! If you like something, try and think what makes you like it. Much is subjective anyway. It is fun! Enjoy it.

You won't get torn to pieces, in the most part the feedback (as I prefer to call it) is encouraging and for me part of the learning process.
Some of the themes can be a little tricky and there is sometimes a good deal of head scratching (well for me anyway).

Thanks Manxmaid, Bebop and Nostromo, I feel reassured and energised!(y)

Indeed 'torn to pieces' was a little presumptuous....I prefer Manxmaid's interpretation....a tiny bit of a nibble!:D

Well, good luck and warmest regards to everyone here.:)

Hi and welcome to your 52 Gareth, one main rule is we Have to make sure the snake @Cobra is up and awake every Thursday to pick the theme. Most of all have fun and enjoy it.

Having just signed up for the 52s for 2019 (at least I think I did....maybe I didn't officially sign up....I'm new here....lot to learn )
Actually thats a "gauging interest thread" As the 52 has been slowly diminishing over the last couple of years or so.
But if it goes ahead, there will be a 2019 sign up thread in a couple of weeks or so.

The natives are friendly :)
Yeah I know, All except that damned snake :p
one main rule is we Have to make sure the snake @Cobra is up and awake every Thursday to pick the theme.
The snake is usually half way through his work before some of you are even out of bed :p

Evening all,

I would like to fully participate in 2019’s 52, having read through the replies so far I would like to put forward something for discussion as someone mentioned the format might need changing or shaking up. Here Goes...

Split next years 52 into 4 Qtrs of 13 weeks, at the end of each Qtr you pick a photo that you want to represent you In a Final 4 Portfolio at the Year End ( i.e. you pick a photo from each Qtrs body of work ).

Once you have all 52 themes, you then go down the footy draw route and put them into 4 pots randomly, once you have each pot of 13 themes you then assign them to each Qtr randomly.

At the start of each Qtr you release all 13 Themes simultaneously, the photographer can then choose which ever theme of the 13 he wants to concentrate on for that week, then the next week he chooses his 2nd theme and so on until the end of that Qtrs Body of Work.

At the end of the Year each Photographers “Final 4 Portfolio” can be judged.

I believe this way you keep everyone’s interest, people don’t get stuck on a certain theme and if time/work constraints interfere then they at least have a choice of subjects to choose from.

P.s. You could Go even further by Calling the 4 Qtrs Autum, Spring, Summer & Winter, and make sure each Qtrs photo’s have a slight connection to that Season.

I'm sure it's a good idea...

... if I could understand it :thinking:

It's a 52, people shoot to a theme,1 photo to the same theme every week. It works well if the vast majority stick to that simple principal, there is a sense of community, all in it together, etc. Like any community it falls apart when the majority are not sticking to the main principal. IMHO of course:)

:D Made my head hurt working that out.

I think it would help me if I knew the upcoming 3 or so themes. Then I could try and get a few shots taken in preparation for the times when I'm away - made public on the correct week. I know this would spoil the fun for many of you though, chomping at the bit to hear what @Cobra has up his sleeve.

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again, it's the people that make the 52 work. If there is no involvement/participation then the whole thing falls apart. I don't think there is anything wrong with what we have now, but for the lack of people still envolved. I will readily admit that I'm not the most prolific poster in the discussion thread, or that I give the most in depth useful feedback on images. But I do try to make the effort to get my themes in on time (it doesn't always work out that way though and if it doesn't I don't expect comments on the catch up photos).
I'm not sure we need catch up threads or comment on the 4 posts above yours, type of thing. It just makes it all the more confusing and come across as rules. The whole point of the 52 is to make you create an image from a theme, get the old brain cells working a bit and most importantly have some fun.
Well that's my 2 pence worth :)
Now back to the more important stuff, trying to think of how I'm going to photograph Lost

Made my head hurt working that out.
And mine :D

it's the people that make the 52 work.
Exactly what I say at the end of each one, "its nothing without you guys"

I think it would help me if I knew the upcoming 3 or so themes. Then I could try and get a few shots taken in preparation for the times when I'm away -
But the spirit of the game is to take "That" image on or after the day the subject is released. :)

It's a 52, people shoot to a theme,1 photo to the same theme every week. It works well if the vast majority stick to that simple principal, there is a sense of community, all in it together, etc. Like any community it falls apart when the majority are not sticking to the main principal. IMHO of course:)
(y)

I would like to put forward something for discussion as someone mentioned the format might need changing or shaking up. Here Goes...
I understand what you are getting at but its far too complicated, the idea is that the 52 is easy, but makes you think sometimes. A few tweaks and a shake up of themes that are planned for 2019 hopefully will make it a little more interesting

Blimey ... I've just cast a single vote > Should we be more honest with feed back?

Viewed results and really surprised to see how popular that one is!

I like the idea of a Points System 1 > 5

And when we fall behind with the critique we can catch up with minimal comment followed by a number. Or if we've got the time and the inclination we can go into more detail ... followed by a number.

BTW ... these point are not designed to be added up.

:thinking:

IMO too :D

Yep ... on a daily basis ... in there talking about what's new.

You're allowed an annual holiday, but fall behind on pics and crits more than once or twice a year, and you may as well bow out gracefully.

IMO too :D

Yep ... on a daily basis ... in there talking about what's new.

You're allowed an annual holiday, but fall behind on pics and crits more than once or twice a year, and you may as well bow out gracefully.
Point taken, thanks for making my mind up whether to participate next year.

For several years its been run very informally, but now it seems there is a bit of a theme running through this thread that a few would prefer the challenge more structured and more formal.
Is this the case?

For several years its been run very informally, but now it seems there is a bit of a theme running through this thread that a few would prefer the challenge more structured and more formal.
Is this the case?
That is how it appears to me, however if you look at those left in the 52 this year that would mean at least three of those still participating would of have to of left.

however if you look at those left in the 52 this year that would mean at least three of those still participating would of have to of left.
It was a general comment, on the whole structure.
I'm not suggesting for one minute that I would "boot out" anyone that lagged behind though.

It was a general comment, on the whole structure.
I'm not suggesting for one minute that I would "boot out" anyone that lagged behind though.
To be blunt, there appears to be some animosity from a few of those who have made weekly contributions without fail. There I have said it!:dummy:

Is this the case?

I think it has been said already, but my thoughts are even if you think OMG!!! I don`t know what to say ( CC ) well in the comment you Can say Why you like the shot or Why you don`t like it ?
IMO I think it is actually very easy to give a comment on an image, as you just have to say why you like or don`t like.

I'm not quite sure what's going on here, me, who hasn't been seen for six months gatecrashing 52s talk, I seem to have hit a sore point. :thinking:

@Bearair ... I certainly didn't have you in mind when commenting, I seem to remember you as a regular. :)

For several years its been run very informally, but now it seems there is a bit of a theme running through this thread that a few would prefer the challenge more structured and more formal. Is this the case?

Hey Boss, I'm not suggesting it should be more formal. On the contrary, I'd like to see it as relaxed as ever, more chat, community spirited. I assume we all go on the internet at least once a day, and I think anyone signing up to this game should aim to pop in once a day, pictures are posted everyday. OK, I know in the real world other things get in the way, but I and many others (you know who you are) managed 3 or 4 times a week quite nicely over the years. :D

Last edited:
but I and many others (you know who you are) managed 3 or 4 times a week quite well over the year. :D
Yeah I know, I need to get a life :D

OK so thats 16 "YES" 5 "Maybe" and 2 "NO"
I'd better start writing the leader posts then.

Just out of curiosity I wonder if the "NO's" just posted for the hell of it, or its a couple 52'ers that are dropping out .
Not that it matters much :)

IYou're allowed an annual holiday, but fall behind on pics and crits more than once or twice a year, and you may as well bow out gracefully.
Point taken, thanks for making my mind up whether to participate next year.
Hmm maybe I'm a NO after all too. This year I've been away from home for at least 9 full weeks plus lots of weekends sorting out parent issues. This comment may have been tongue in cheek, but it has reminded me of the pressure I was feeling each time I fell behind.

As the 2019 DISCUSSION and SIGN UP threads are now active I'll close this or we will get in a hell of a mucking fuddle
(Well I will anyway :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back