• 26?

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 52?

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • "Free weeks" instead of re-shoots

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Easier themes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not really comfortable critiquing others work ( for what ever reason)

• Should we be more honest with feed back?

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Should the guidelines be made hard and fast rules?

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • would you like to mentor a new comer

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Would you like to be mentored?

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • do you really want a 52 in 2019?

• ?

• ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra

Gregory House
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
Go one then stick ya ticks in, you can change your vote BTW if anything new is added to the poll ...

1) Make suggestions for the poll
2) Make general comments
3) Make suggestions for 2019
4) Air your grievances.
5) But most of all be honest (y)

The poll is multiple choice and even I can't see who voted for what.

And as I've mentioned before if someone else wants to take the reins and try a different format,
I won't be hurt, honest :D
"They" won't be able to do everything I can, with edits etc, but I'll still be around to do that if required (y)

Last edited:
Does commenting on everybodys picture become repetitive?

Do you not give honest critique for fear of offending people?

Would you be prepared to buddy up with a newby next year to help out with ideas, critique, encouragement, beat with a big stick? (only joking about the big stick!)

Does commenting on everybodys picture become repetitive?

Do you not give honest critique for fear of offending people?
That's kinda covered

Would you be prepared to buddy up with a newby next year to help out with ideas, critique, encouragement, beat with a big stick?
That's not a bad idea, except would it encourage cliques to form?
Feel free to respond BTW :)

Last edited:
Sometimes I see a photo put in but instead of saying sorry I don`t like that, I will say nice shot.
I really do like be told, Dave the shot is not straight or it`s wonky as I want to learn and be told.
Yes I`d love the chance to buddy up with a new member as we could push/help each other.

Sometimes I see a photo put in but instead of saying sorry I don`t like that, I will say nice shot.
Sorted :)

Right I'm off ..
Feel free to talk behind my back ( like you all normally do :p )

Last edited:

Possibly but I have never seen any sign of cliquishness forming in the 52 and the mentor/buddy idea has been working since the ancient Greeks.

I think if you did buddy up with a new comer, you could give help/advice and tips via a PM ?
I know you put the poll up, but How can we get new or older members to join in on the 52 ?
Instead of a re-shoot, have a week where you play a joker shot of your choice of ant shot ?

I have never seen any sign of cliquishness forming in the 52
Nor have I and I didn't want to give it an "in"
But fairy nuff I'll add it.

but How can we get new or older members to join in on the 52 ?
Once this is up and running properly I'll pimp it around the forums and the front page :)

Instead of a re-shoot, have a week where you play a joker shot of your choice of ant shot ?
Did you not read the guidelines? :p
If you don't like the theme, you can play a "joker" and do your own thing.

I do think if you put in a image you must comment on at least three other photos.
That's rather like these flicker groups though isn't it? post 1 comment 3
This is then starting to get "formal" ( as in #8) but if thats what people want, its fine by me :)

Last edited:
I may be the only one but I don't mind the current 52 formats as is maybe I been doing it for too long. :)

I like the self-rule idea of the challenge and the idea of commenting at least x number of images should really up to the individual. I always look upon the 52 group as no different to any other clubs or memberships you belong to, the more you put in the more enjoyment you get out of it.

I always try my best to give my honest critique be it good or bad but I tend to be more diplomatic with something like "I'm not too keen...", "IMHO...", "personally, I prefer......". Then, it's up to the individual to take it in or not.

I don't mind mentoring if someone wants it and would always happy to help but I'm no expert or even any good at taking pictures. In my first year of 52's I took on board all comments and critiques to me that's the best way to learn and to improve your photographic skill.

As for the poll, I don't have any more to add. Maybe I'm too easy to please and still enjoying the challenge. :) :snaphappy:

I agree with @rpn nothing needs to change well maybe the re-shoots I don't see the point in them.
As for mentoring I think you have to be quite confident of your own abilities and I'm not to be honest I am only trying like everyone else and am always open to suggestions.
When I started years ago people offered an opinion and suggestions on my images it helped me no end, especially if I respected what they did.
Mentoring for want of a better word and that word could well be commenting, is something everyone should do even the people who say I don't know what to say, you must know if you like or dislike the pic for whatever reason and if the person doesn't agree they can always argue their point in their answer to you.

So what would I like to see next year, more involvement from everyone perhaps:thinking:

I agree with @rpn nothing needs to change well maybe the re-shoots I don't see the point in them.
From your's and others comments over time, that's getting dropped in favour of a "free week" next year,
either post what you want or don't post at all, use the time to catch up if needs be.

Mentoring for want of a better word and that word could well be commenting, is something everyone should do even the people who say I don't know what to say, you must know if you like or dislike the pic for whatever reason and if the person doesn't agree they can always argue their point in their answer to you.
I totally agree TBH but that's the idea of the poll to see if we / I can improve the whole thing :)

Last edited:
I have been very busy this week planning and replanning my trip up to the peaks tomorrow. I will have a think about some of this stuff and comment on Friday with what I think.

Pete

I like the format of the 52.
However, as per my comment in the main discussion thread, I wonder if it would be good to split it into 2x 26 weeks, as you get quite a large drop off at the beginning which flattens out as the weeks go on.

I've been sad enough to analyse the data from 2012 to now (yes really!)
On a percentage of starters basis,this year is actually better than 2012 and 2015 (You have to ignore the last 2 data points because the data isn't:
1. Up to date.
2. Complete - I'm sure the numbers will go up as people catch up.

I'm not sure how to convert excel into google docs, so I've pdf'd it
It's quite interesting (if you like numbers)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zy1p6YWaxjnBMfqXu_iGB-ldJ3ROaGKW/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the format of the 52.
However, as per my comment in the main discussion thread, I wonder if it would be good to split it into 2x 26 weeks, as you get quite a large drop off at the beginning which flattens out as the weeks go on.

I've been sad enough to analyse the data from 2012 to now (yes really!)
On a percentage of starters basis,this year is actually better than 2012 and 2015 (You have to ignore the last 2 data points because the data isn't:
1. Up to date.
2. Complete - I'm sure the numbers will go up as people catch up.

I'm not sure how to convert excel into google docs, so I've pdf'd it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zy1p6YWaxjnBMfqXu_iGB-ldJ3ROaGKW/view?usp=sharing
Is your Television broke :thinking:

I'm thinking about trying the 52 again next year, having tried two in the past (and dropped out of both) I took this year off but I have missed having the target of the 52 each week to make me pick up the camera.

Not sure about the mentor part of it, for me the 52 was always a bit of fun and to challenge myself, not so much about the learning. Having said that I did appreciate the opportunity to have the pictures critiqued and commented on.

Thanks for doing that Tim (y)
Its very curious though, I'd have said its got worse year on year, just goes to prove that I was wrong ..

Remind me how that would work again, to save me searching (y)
( and also to keep it in this thread)

I was just envisaging running two 26s a year.
Jan to June, July to December.
So anyone who dropped out due to being busy could start afresh, those of us doing the whole lot could still consider it a 52.

Just a thought really.

I was just envisaging running two 26s a year.
Jan to June, July to December.
So anyone who dropped out due to being busy could start afresh, those of us doing the whole lot could still consider it a 52.

Just a thought really.

That's an interesting idea.

So for those die-hards, we just carry on as normal but for those who dropped out or late to the party can start afresh at midway. Then again, I recall there were a couple who want to join this challenge a few months ago and some of us did encourage them to start and welcome them in but somehow never hear from them again. :thinking:

It would have to be promoted twice a year, as the forum is used to it being annual.
Then again, I recall there were a couple who want to join this challenge a few months ago and some of us did encourage them to start and welcome them in but somehow never hear from them again. :thinking:
I'd suspect that joining afresh an already running challenge halfway through is more daunting than starting with a whole bunch of others at week 1.

But as I say, dunno, but worth the conversation.

I'm not convinced that would actually help matters, TBH but its worth thinking about ...

Go one then stick ya ticks in, you can change your vote BTW if anything new is added to the poll ...

I had an idea about free weeks as this is a theme based challenge I feel it needs to keep on a theme what about if the free week/s, there could be four in the year, maybe are based on say a colour the first for example could be red the next blue etc
at least then all the pictures posted would tie in together in a very loose way

For Me, I like the 52 but do find some weeks are hard and I do a rush shot. So keep the 52 or 2 times 26, not sure if that would make a difference, but hey give it a try.

On the other thread Cobra mentioned a 12, which I replied to and I think running a 12 will allow more time to think about it, take photos, research if people wanted to, post up on own threads, get C&C, retake if possible then submit to main thread.

I also suggested combining 2 elements, a theme and a technique with some SUGGESTIONS, please chip in for others. May be Cobra picks the theme and individuals pick the technique.

It is just an idea what do others think.

Pete

I had an idea about free weeks as this is a theme based challenge I feel it needs to keep on a theme what about if the free week/s, there could be four in the year, maybe are based on say a colour the first for example could be red the next blue etc
at least then all the pictures posted would tie in together in a very loose way

I think this may have legs. Just no blue bucket for a while.

Pete

Not sure that I understand the mentor bit, to me that's like a teacher/colleague who is there physically telling you what to do.

or Is it meant to be like a buddy, someone to give a kick up the ar~e to or tell them to calm down.

Pete

For Me, I like the 52 but do find some weeks are hard and I do a rush shot. So keep the 52 or 2 times 26, not sure if that would make a difference, but hey give it a try.

On the other thread Cobra mentioned a 12, which I replied to and I think running a 12 will allow more time to think about it, take photos, research if people wanted to, post up on own threads, get C&C, retake if possible then submit to main thread.

I also suggested combining 2 elements, a theme and a technique with some SUGGESTIONS, please chip in for others. May be Cobra picks the theme and individuals pick the technique.

Pete

I’m quite keen on a 12 not keen on it being theme and technique I feel if you put a technique as well as theme it will put people off, it needs to be accessible so if the title of the theme is tricky it gives people a bit more time to think, maybe 8 themes and 4 techniques through the year might work?

Not sure that I understand the mentor bit, to me that's like a teacher/colleague who is there physically telling you what to do.

or Is it meant to be like a buddy, someone to give a kick up the ar~e to or tell them to calm down.

Pete

Not sure either what a mentor would do either as I mentioned somewhere else commenting should be where the
encouragement comes into it.

Yes, I was going to replace the re-shoots with free weeks that's 4 / year (y)
Not sure about the theme though, surely thats just another day in the life of a 52'er.
I can add "colours" to list if you like, no problem.

Pete
Or maybe I can add " specific techniques" the list of themes for next year, if its pulled out, you pick the subject?

Not sure either what a mentor would do either as I mentioned somewhere else commenting should be where the
encouragement comes into it.
Having thought about this some more, I don't see the value in it either.
Most if not all people here are keen to help out a newbie, anyway.
All that person has to do is ask :)

I’m quite keen on a 12 not keen on it being theme and technique I feel if you put a technique as well as theme it will put people off, it needs to be accessible so if the title of the theme is tricky it gives people a bit more time to think, maybe 8 themes and 4 techniques through the year might work?

Or maybe I can add " specific techniques" the list of themes for next year, if its pulled out, you pick the subject?

I can see the merit of cutting down on the number of Techniques and I feel that people should be able to pick them freely, that way if they have not tried it before it gives them a chance to try it out as it suits them.

After all we don't want to put people off, but we do want to learn.

Pete

TBH the way I see it, which ever way these things are done, its stating to complicate the idea of the 52.
But crack on I'm sure we will reach some kind of "updated" idea(s) (y)

Yes, I was going to replace the re-shoots with free weeks that's 4 / year (y)
Not sure about the theme though, surely thats just another day in the life of a 52'er.
I can add "colours" to list if you like, no problem.
My thoughts behind the theme of having a specific colour is it’s a very easy wide open theme, so easier for people to get their heads around as people have mentioned the themes being a bit difficult at times but I see what you mean and no I don’t want colours added to the list particularly as we would then be on the course to “my mums cat” kind of territory

TBH the way I see it, which ever way these things are done, its stating to complicate the idea of the 52.
But crack on I'm sure we will reach some kind of "updated" idea(s) (y)
As you know I’m happy as it is, I don’t see the need to change either

The idea of technique sounds interesting. As I said before I've done that challenge back in 2013. So how about say 4 or 6 or 3 techniques spread over the whole year pick at the beginning. eg. long exposure (ok, not everyone got an ND filter), ICM-Intentional Camera movement (well everyone should have a camera), panoramic, motion blur, shallow DOF etc. and you can apply them to any one of the 48/52 themes (see, I've allowed for the 4 free weeks :)) as you feel fit.

I've got an idea to use the stack-focus technique to this week's Model theme. :)

As you know I’m happy as it is, I don’t see the need to change either
Generally people seem happy with it as it is, but there are a few that want to see change.
Personally TBH, I think it needs up dating a little as it does seem to be getting a little stale, Its been the same format for quite some years now,
as far as I can find, it started in 2009 so that's 10 years next year!

I have a few ideas for subtle changes but I'll keep them to my self at the moment and continue to take on board other suggestions as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back