weekly WMD's 52 for 2016 - Weeks 43, 44, 45 & 46 all added!

Matt, Spiky is superb, lovely colours and like the addition of the wires.

Reactions: WMD
Lovely light in your Spiky image really nice image. The wires pull you eye back towards the moon

The spiky shot is a beaut, the inclusion of the moon is a great touch as is the lovely light on the side the church. I would prefer it with the wires cloned out but each to their own.

Nice and spiky, great colours and I don't mind the wires.
However, the church does have a perspective issue which should perhaps have been edited out (in the same way I needed to edit my initial spiky shot of the palm & station).

I kinda see what you mean actually - like the perspective gets more extreme the further out to the edge you go. I think there's a wall to the fore of the church though that's at a weird angle, which makes it look more extreme than reality. Good spot! :)

The spiky shot is a beaut, the inclusion of the moon is a great touch as is the lovely light on the side the church. I would prefer it with the wires cloned out but each to their own.
Thanks! Yeah, I was tempted to clone them out, but decided (rightly or wrongly!) that it kinda worked - so they stayed! I might try a version with the lines cloned and the perspective corrected too.

Appreciate the feedback everyone, thank you!

Hmmm...
iD5QuiK.jpg

Lines cloned & distortion corrected.

Spiky works for me lots of spikes, great sky and the wires should be left in I feel

Love your spiky - wonderful colours. Unusually for me I prefer the wires left in - I think the fact that there are three and the angle at which they lead out of the frame makes it work. There just seems too much negative space and the moon is lost without them.

I like the wires and the distortion Matt! I much prefer the first one as it has great feeling of space and vastness with the tiny moon and the feeling of distance given by the HV cables running into space. Building distortion here gives a feel of the size and perception of having to look up that is missing from the edit - great work!

I like the simple minimal feel to this Matt.....very nice indeed.
Strangely, the wires don't bother me; maybe it the angle at which they cross the image.

Thanks for the feedback on last week - was good to explore the various options / opinions on what should be included.
On to Artificial - kinda struggled a bit at the start of the week, but came up with some ideas whilst out for a run the other night. So here it is...
11/52 - Artificial (Light) by Matt, on Flickr
Went for the artificial light approach to the theme! I was going to do some heavy PP tweaking to this (which would've made it suit the theme even more so I guess) - but I actually quite liked it as-is. Was also back on to my DSLR, which seems to be behaving again!

On to personal and a catch up on everyone else! :)

I'm going against the grain here a little Matt, and suggest that you cool it off a little for more natural "light"
Nice star-burst well captured :)

Very nice Matt - like the starburst effect (presumably small aperture) and simple composition. :clap:

Very nice, I like the wide angle but at the same time I'd like to see more wall detail, the broken bit behind the lamppost.

Very nice Matt....Liking that a lot.

So, I'm running a bit behind and annoyingly haven't taken a shot (that I like) for Personal, but have better ideas for Effort.

Last edited:
Spiky - I like the original fantastic colours .
Artificial - I like the light rays coming off the top and the shadows and textures on the wall

Had a really busy few weeks with work, but managed to catch up a little this weekend. Phew!
Hope it's just a funk, but I've really struggled with ideas for Personal & Effort - not particularly pleased with either of them (imminent 'shoe-in' warning).

Anyway, here's Personal:
12/52 - Personal by Matt, on Flickr
I'll probably put this one in the 'have another go' pile when the next re-shoot comes around. Basically, what makes this personal is that this was a kind of 'shot kit' idea - the gear I was carrying around with me that day. A few of the items I've customised to make them more personal (custom cover on Nexus 6, custom watch face on watch etc). The notebook also has my name on it too. :p

On to Effort:
13/52 - Effort (Brain Storming) by Matt, on Flickr
OK so why is this Effort? Well as you can probably see, there's a fair bit of Photoshopping gone into this one (effort) - but I guess I was actually attempting to capture the process of coming up with an idea for this week's theme - Brain Storming for Effort!

Hoping to get Technology done before the weekend too - as I'm going away on the Saturday!
Will hopefully have a proper dig through everyone else's submissions for the past week or 2 too. (y)

I like both of those Matt.

Personal really nice detail fits the theme nicely

Effort - Great effort really well thought out in fact you could say a great effort of brain storming there!

Personal is very good Matt.

Effort....what can I say? I love it. I wish I had the PP skills!

I really like the simplicity and composition of Personal ... that is balanced by the intricacy of Effort with it's various - all excellently taken - exposures, expertly PP'd to form a great conceptual image. Well done Matt. :clap:

Hi Matt, a couple of belters there. The simplicity of Personal just works - looks like a GQ "spread". Lighting is very effective too.

Effort PP is really well done. Everything about it works together and it feels like a completed image, not a collection of PP elements put together (which it would if I ever tried something like that!)

Superb :clap:

Personal- good layout and the bg complements it.
Effort - lots of effort there a very clever picture.

Matt, really like your Artificial image, good contrast and texture,

Personal - is a well arranged image, plenty to look at and well taken.

Effort - good photo shopping, I can barley crop and sharpen never mind what you have done.

Personal ... a serious arrangement of some serious gear. A bit of light reflection but I guess that actually adds to the clean, organised feel.

Effort ... looks like a lot went into that. It's like a stock foto ... maybe you should sell it !! Clever shoppery indeed.

Loving Spiky Matt, such great colours in the sky and the positioning of the building is unusual, but works really well (y)

Artificial - Hmmmmm dead centre on the vertical, could not possibly work but it does, nice symmetry to the composition, nice starburst and nice and creepy looking.... Like it !!!

Personal - Nice selection of stuff, all work well with the dark oak background, a pleasant image :)

Effort - Blimey, now that would hurt, but at times that would feel possibly very refreshing :D

Time is running away with me this week and I'm off travelling tomorrow for 2 weeks, so it's all very rushed! Wanted to get something in before I go, don't want to get too far behind.
So here it is, nothing spectacular, but it should fit the theme OK.

14/52 - Technology by Matt, on Flickr

Not sure how much I will get online in the coming weeks, but I'm aiming to still take the shots and submit when I'm back with some decent broadband!
For now though, am off to start packing! :)

Back