weekly WMD's 52 for 2016 - Weeks 43, 44, 45 & 46 all added!

Lovely colours. Good idea for Tech

maybe a bit OOF in the FG for me. :thinking:

Lovely colours. Good idea for Tech, maybe a bit OOF in the FG for me. :thinking:

Similar in feel to my shot for personal, with (I believe) the same issue, that of too shallow a DoF.
One to attempt focus stacking with (if you have the software to support it)...

Thanks for the feedback guys - like I said, it was kind of a rush job as I was off on my travels the next day! But yes, in hindsight, probably didn't need such a shallow DOF.

Am back now and got quite a catch up job ahead of me! With that in mind, here's Horizontal:
15/52 - Horizontal by Matt, on Flickr

Am currently going through the +30GB of photos I took on my trip, but should hopefully have something for both Vast & Rough! Stay tuned, I should be uploading later in the week. Will try and catch up with everyone else's threads too! (y)

Very clever indeed! On first glance it looked odd but I didn't become aware till I'd looked a little longer. My eyes go funny when I look further back in the photo, but I like it! :D Well done

Reactions: WMD
I had to look at it twice to get me head around it! Fantastic take on the theme

Thanks everyone! (y)

What a clever image - it really made me do a second take (thankfully before I posted!) I guess that's pp'd as your (?) pose is so natural, but I can't quite tell. Excellent :clap:
Thanks Emma! It's not actually photoshopped, I did actually lie down on the pavement in this pose - like a complete nutter. Still, all in the name of photography right? Hehe :p

complete nutter ... excellent stuff. :clap: a Horizontal prize winner.

Very clever Matt - fooled me for a while ha ha. Well taken indeed. :)

Horizontal - love it, excellent take on the theme. Horizontal on many levels .

Thanks everyone for your comments! Much appreciated. :)

Finally got around to sifting through some of the photos from my travels...not going to lie, Vast was an ideal theme for most of my trip! The problem was picking which one.
I settled on this:
16/52 - Vast (Stars over Monument Valley) by Matt, on Flickr
...figuring that the inclusion of the stars would add to the vast-ness.

I've got Rough still to do, which was the second week I was away, so that should be up soon too!

That is beautiful Matt - love the vibrant colours particularly the orange in the fg. Definitely a Vast space. Looking forward to Rough. :clap:

Horizontal: Great idea, at first I thought "that's vertical" before I realised that you are actually lying on the ground. Very clever!
Vast: great photo, it is indeed vast. Great colours and the stars add to the feeling of vastness.

Vast - Fantastic image not crit from me I love the colours Absolutely stunning

Hi Matt

Horizontal: That is genuinely one of the best images I've ever seen on the TP52! For any theme, any year... I LOVE it! Technically it's fine and accurately captured, but what it does and how it works is just brilliant. Properly a masterpiece for me :clap: :woot:

Vast is a beautiful composite. Well put together so it doesn't look obviously composited until you realise properly what you're looking at and the practical impossibility of it :) Superbly done again :clap:

Hi Matt
Horizontal: That is genuinely one of the best images I've ever seen on the TP52! For any theme, any year... I LOVE it! Technically it's fine and accurately captured, but what it does and how it works is just brilliant. Properly a masterpiece for me :clap: :woot:

Wow! Thank you for the very kind words there Paul, much appreciated - glad you like it!
Vast is a beautiful composite. Well put together so it doesn't look obviously composited until you realise properly what you're looking at and the practical impossibility of it :) Superbly done again :clap:
Again, thank you Paul for the kind words! :)
However, there isn't much PP or composite shot trickery here! This was taken at night, with a full moon, looking out over Monument Valley. The light from the full moon illuminated the foreground to the point where it looks almost day time. Thankfully, at such a high ISO I was still able to capture the stars. It really was amazing to witness, but I can totally appreciate the fact it has a certain photoshopped look to it! Glad you like it though Paul! ;)

Wow - that just goes to show how amazing cameras are these days that they're able to capture these sorts of light levels and make it (with a bit of PP) to look natural :) And yes, the full moon will have helped but credit to you for avoiding the "obvious" inclusion of the moon which would have spoiled the shot for me... great job!

Hi Matt :)

Nice catch up..

A great start with the horizontal, it messed with my brain for a good while, love the image on the plane you have presented it as, what a great idea, well set up and taken (y)

As for VAST - .just LOVE that image, such wonderful colours and the big blue starry sky soooooo engulfs the vast bright orange landscape, which it itself needs no other element to show it's size... the clouds near the horizon in the far distance bear to insignificance... Cracking shot :clap:

Vast ... glorious colour, and a feeling of real vastness. :clap:

OK, so probably taken longer than I'd hoped to pick a shot for Rough - but time's getting on and so are the themes! So here's what I've picked out of what I've taken from my trip - the Grand Canyon.

17/52 - Rough (Terrain) (Grand Canyon) by Matt, on Flickr

Maybe it's a bit of a shoe-in, but I thought the rough element could come from a rough-terrain idea? :D

Hoping to catch up on the other themes a bit quicker now, now that I'm actually going out to take photos again.

Well done Matt ... keep going, not far to go. Yes, Rough terrain is fine for the theme and it does look it too. Beautiful and dramatic scenery - looks almost as if you put a spirit level across the tops of those mountains to create that skyline.

Well done Matt ... keep going, not far to go. Yes, Rough terrain is fine for the theme and it does look it too. Beautiful and dramatic scenery - looks almost as if you put a spirit level across the tops of those mountains to create that skyline.
Thanks Carl - yeah, hoping to be up to date again by the weekend!
Glad you like 'Rough' - was getting into the exposure bracketing method so I could bring out the detail in the darker areas. Quite pleased with the results, but needs more experimenting I think!

Hi Matt

Really like your image for Rough. The Grand Canyon is on my list of places I want to visit

Back