weekly WMD's 52 for 2016 - Weeks 43, 44, 45 & 46 all added!

Grand Canyon is wow. :clap: But isn't it usually erm less blue?

Reactions: WMD
Grand Canyon is wow. :clap: But isn't it usually erm less blue?

Thanks David! Yeah, I know what you mean - I put it down to the time of day I think. The sun was getting very low in the sky meaning much of the canyon was in shadow. Hence the blue-ness! It certainly wasn't added in PP! :)

On to week 18!
18/52 - Cover(ed) by Matt, on Flickr

Slight shoe-in this week for Covered. This field was literally yellow with all the buttercups, covered in them! Hopefully this still comes across in the photo. I was somewhat limited with the fixed (23mm) lens on the Fuji, probably would've liked a bit wider.

Week 19 - Coloured
19/52 - Colour(ed) by Matt, on Flickr

I'd been waiting for an opportunity to use my girlfriend's colourful rainbow umbrella in a shot! Special thanks to her as she was pacing around the forest while I was snapping away. Haha.

I've got a shot lined up for Entrance and Size so I *should* be up to date by this week's theme! :D

Last edited:
Covered is okay. I mean, I get the choice but kinda feel that if the field were actually covered in them then a higher perspective would have conveyed it better? Good DoF though and vibrant colours.

Coloured is a cracker. I love how the light falls away, particularly on the left and into the greenery. Colours are nice and bright but not overdone. Love it.

Ps how did you get the perspective for coloured? Been climbing trees? :)

Covered is okay. I mean, I get the choice but kinda feel that if the field were actually covered in them then a higher perspective would have conveyed it better? Good DoF though and vibrant colours.

Thanks Ian - I know what you mean. I wanted to have a focal point for the shot, hence the lower perspective. I think it probably makes for a better photo this way, although is weaker theme wise as you lose the covered element.

Coloured is a cracker. I love how the light falls away, particularly on the left and into the greenery. Colours are nice and bright but not overdone. Love it.

Ps how did you get the perspective for coloured? Been climbing trees? :)

Yeah I was much happier with Colour! :) It's actually taken from a small footbridge which spans the forest floor below. Quite a cool perspective. Not sure I'd have the bottle to climb a tree that high! :p
Thanks Ian!

It's actually taken from a small footbridge which spans the forest floor below. Quite a cool perspective. Not sure I'd have the bottle to climb a tree that high! :p

I didn't think so, but couldn't fathom how you'd do it other than with the use of a drone!

Ps I wouldn't have the bottle either! :)

Two good shots, I do think it conveys covered well, I like the one in focus buttercup with the rest dissapearing into the background
"Coloured" is very good it works so well, excellent :clap:

I really like covered, it is my fav of the two. I think because of the OOF coverage and sky.
Colourful kind of puts me in mind of 'The Prisoner' (though I'm not sure if they were rainbow coloured).

And another couple of great shots Matt !!!

The inclusion of the strip of cloudy sky really makes the covered image for me, and the positioning of the in-focus buttercup is bang on (y)

Coloured is a spot of magic, not sure and do not really care if it is staged it works brilliantly either way <EDIT> I see it was your girlfriend, still love it, perfect placement again :)

Were on earth were you looking from ??

Hiya Matt

I love the image for Rough. Superb capture. I might have been tempted to stick an angled grad on the foreground to bring that down a bit or even just crop it out because it's the midground range of canyons which are the shot for me - amazing light and layers. I like whatever processing you've done on the sky - it works brilliantly!

Covered - nice shot, good horizon placement and foreground buttercup. Nice!

Coloured - ditto... good use of thirds and light/shade. These two images could be a lesson in composition :)

Top notch mate!

Hi Matt. Both excellent shots - of course buttercups works for Covered. Lovely summery colours with those green, yellows and blues. Coloured is excellent too - brilliant composition.

And another couple of great shots Matt !!!
The inclusion of the strip of cloudy sky really makes the covered image for me, and the positioning of the in-focus buttercup is bang on (y)
Coloured is a spot of magic, not sure and do not really care if it is staged it works brilliantly either way <EDIT> I see it was your girlfriend, still love it, perfect placement again :)
Where on earth were you looking from ??

Thanks DK! Glad you like them! :)
Just by chance, I've found a photo of the small footbridge I took the photo from:
Autumn in Chester 2015 by Mark Carline, on Flickr
Must be a 15m drop below, gives a great perspective shooting downwards on to the pathway below! :)

Hiya Matt
I love the image for Rough. Superb capture. I might have been tempted to stick an angled grad on the foreground to bring that down a bit or even just crop it out because it's the midground range of canyons which are the shot for me - amazing light and layers. I like whatever processing you've done on the sky - it works brilliantly!

Covered - nice shot, good horizon placement and foreground buttercup. Nice!

Coloured - ditto... good use of thirds and light/shade. These two images could be a lesson in composition :)

Top notch mate!

Thanks Paul, much appreciated! I agree with the comments re Rough, didn't think of it at the time! I had grad filters with me too - doh! :banghead:

Hi Matt. Both excellent shots - of course buttercups works for Covered. Lovely summery colours with those green, yellows and blues. Coloured is excellent too - brilliant composition.
Thanks Carl! (y)

Last edited:
Hi Matt, mega catch up from me,

Technology - superb photo, very creative and bang on the theme.
Horizontal - Such a epic image, well thought out and processed. Perfect.
Vast - very nice image and colour balance,one of the only places in America I would like to visit
Rough - Good image again, one of the only places in America I would like to visit .
Covered - really like this and the idea and the angle is interesting and shows the covered aspect well.
Colourful - Love this, nothing to add, Excellent.

Hi Matt

Covered ... in buttercups is classic DOF photography, nicely done.

Coloured ... is stunning. I love that image, looks somehow oriental. :clap: And I've been wondering how it's done and now I see the footbridge. :)

Hi Matt, two spot on images there for Covered and Coloured. As pjm says they could be textbook illustrations of great composition. As well as that thpugh the colours are brill :clap::clap::clap:

Bit late (still) but here's week 20 - Entry / Entrance:

20/52 - Entry (The Bridgegate, Chester) by Matt, on Flickr
This is not far from where I live - the Bridgegate, which is just one of the Entrances in to the city walls of Chester. I was hoping for some more traffic for better light trails, but I can only assume everyone had better plans this bank holiday weekend! :p

21 - Size is coming too! :)

Nice one Matt -like the light trails and starburst effects. Excellent submission for the theme.

Very nice image for Entrance Matt I really like that one of my favorite submissions for the theme

Rough - this fits so many themes rough, Horizontal the Horizon is so flat, and vast. Its a great shot
covered - nice low Pov lovely shot
Colourful - right on theme and again good Pov

An entrance through the wall you say, Matt? That'll take care of the topic then! Love the light trails too.

Good idea for the theme, I like the sense of movement through the entrance

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

That's a nice different idea Matt, works okay, composition wise I like it, and if there were as you say a few more cars it would be great, still a good effort (y)

Thanks DK - yeah, I think it would've been stronger with more trails, not helped by the fact it gets dark so late these days. As it is, I stacked probably 7-8 photos into 1 photo that contained all the trails I captured - certainly not much traffic that time of night.

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

Thanks DK - yeah, I think it would've been stronger with more trails, not helped by the fact it gets dark so late these days. As it is, I stacked probably 7-8 photos into 1 photo that contained all the trails I captured - certainly not much traffic that time of night.
Wow... thought it was one image, for stacked it sure was a lean night :LOL:

OK, so here's Size:

21/52 - Size (Ginger nut demolition) by Matt, on Flickr

Trying something a bit different this theme - a more staged approach with these little (& incredibly fiddly!) characters! Had to dig out my extension tubes as I don't have a macro lens or anything that would get me close enough - focus might be a smidge off as I was doing it manually on broken tripod which had lots of creep. Grrr. Anyway, on to this week's theme and a catch up on commenting! :)

Hey Matt - excellent bit of thinking. They must be absolutely miniscule judging by the size of the ginger nut. Particularly like the strategic placement of that boulder-sized crumb. Brilliant. :clap:

Good idea, nicely captured, the figures are well placed and that is one huge gingernut :). Since taking up this challenge I have been wishing I had hung on to some of my kid's little figures for this sort of thing but most went a few years ago

Entry / Entrance ... you get your money's worth with this image ... good work Matt. (y)

Size ... Ha, what great props (not just the edible bits) ... good work again. (y)

Entry - nicely done there Matt. I might have been tempted to shut down that aperture even more to get the bursts a bit more pinpoint? But a great submission nonetheless.

Size - again, a great idea and well executed. Lighting is good and effective. I wonder if a slightly lower POV would work too? Nice.

Love it, the models are very detailed and the shot is razor sharp :)

Light trails and starbusts - what's not to like? Such fun to experiment with - I really need to get out and have a try soon.
I love your size image - so well set up (well worth the fiddliness!) and the focus looks good to me with the worker far left being sharpest and the crack in the biscuit leading nicely to him. Great job :clap:

Entrance - I think you've enough light trails there Matt, a case of less is more as they are well defined. Too many more and it would have been more of a blur.
As has been said already, the starburst of the lights are a good touch too.

Size - That's a very clever shot. Seems sharp enough to me.
Where do people find all these props eh? All I ever have are random men from my little one's lego box!

Back