weekly Superpippo's 52's for 2012 -Week 52 Busy added THE END

Joy – A nice crisp shot

Small – I do like this one and the use of the mottled background works really well

Straight – Now these I recognise. Our other hobby is kite flying and fly these sort of things at festivals around the country and occasionally abroad. The straight ones you’ve taken a picture of are snake windsocks made by Doug and Linda who are close friends of ours. Small world isn’t it.

I really like the pea pod really nice colour and exposure

not sure i like straight being in the top half of the pic looks slightly odd :thinking:

On #2 i was trying to take it as a landscape with 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 and to indicate the amount of space in front of and behind the object.

Joy – A nice crisp shot

Small – I do like this one and the use of the mottled background works really well

Straight – Now these I recognise. Our other hobby is kite flying and fly these sort of things at festivals around the country and occasionally abroad. The straight ones you’ve taken a picture of are snake windsocks made by Doug and Linda who are close friends of ours. Small world isn’t it.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Peter, you are right - small world. Everyone seemed to be having fun with the kites and I have posted more at http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4854509&postcount=1
so you might be able to recognise more of your friends.

Hi alan, its really strange looking at your straight pic of the kites as apart from photography Peter and my other expensive hobby is kiting and we normally spend our weekends sat under our kites! We havent managed to get a pic of them yet to fit in with the themes! You have caught them well as they are not the easiest things to catch and it must have been a good steady wind to have seen them flying so straight!:)

Flippin nora...I do apologise allan, I've managed to miss a fair few of your images somehow :thinking:

Abstract....yup right on theme & very unusual....must confess I saw the post showing it in full ( thats when I realised I'd been slack with commenting on your thread :bang: )Well framed , good detail (y)

Symmetry...nothing really to say except....LOVE IT :clap::clap: Possibly less DOF to lose the BG a bit more but you've nailed the exposure & what a gorgeous car :love:

Moody...#1 for me as well...fits the theme to a tee (y)

Joy....like it. Nice angle , sharp , lovely muted tones (y)

Small....love the lighting & detail in this..... would work for me framed on a kitchen wall :clap:

Straight....nice n sharp , love the horse & dog kites & good detail in the sky :clap:
Your 2nd image for Straight...works really well having the people in it , good detail in the sky & a lovely straight horizon ...can't help but wonder if B&W would work as well :thinking:

Apologies again for missing your thread...if I do it again please pm me (y)

Those kites look amazing! Especially the flying animals.

Hi alan, its really strange looking at your straight pic of the kites as apart from photography Peter and my other expensive hobby is kiting and we normally spend our weekends sat under our kites! We havent managed to get a pic of them yet to fit in with the themes! You have caught them well as they are not the easiest things to catch and it must have been a good steady wind to have seen them flying so straight!:)

Flippin nora...I do apologise allan, I've managed to miss a fair few of your images somehow

Abstract....yup right on theme & very unusual....must confess I saw the post showing it in full ( thats when I realised I'd been slack with commenting on your thread :bang: )Well framed , good detail

Symmetry...nothing really to say except....LOVE IT :clap::clap: Possibly less DOF to lose the BG a bit more but you've nailed the exposure & what a gorgeous car

Moody...#1 for me as well...fits the theme to a tee (y)

Joy....like it. Nice angle , sharp , lovely muted tones (y)

Small....love the lighting & detail in this..... would work for me framed on a kitchen wall :clap:

Straight....nice n sharp , love the horse & dog kites & good detail in the sky :clap:
Your 2nd image for Straight...works really well having the people in it , good detail in the sky & a lovely straight horizon ...can't help but wonder if B&W would work as well :thinking:

Apologies again for missing your thread...if I do it again please pm me (y)

Marsha, Sarah. Lynne.

Thanks for dropping by and taking the trouble to comment.

I am pretty pleased with my latest shots and your kind words and comments help to keep me sustained in the Challenge, even tho I am an old slowcoach.

Last edited:
Joy, I think you're doing yourself down; it's a lovely shot. I really like the tones.

Small is perfect! I love everything about that one; can't fault it!

Straight, the kites is a bit snap-shotty I think, but the (umm, what IS that?), other one is great. You've got the perfect POV for the theme, and the people really add to it. Maybe a touch more contrast needed in the sky to add a bit of drama, but that's all.

Last edited:
Joy, I think you're doing yourself down; it's a lovely shot. I really like the tones.

Small is perfect! I love everything about that one; can't fault it!

Straight, the kites is a bit snap-shotty I think, but the (umm, what IS that?), other one is great. You've got the perfect POV for the theme, and the people really add to it. Maybe a touch more contrast needed in the sky to add a bit of drama, but that's all.

Thanks Mark.

i agree that the kites are a bit snap shotty - most of the ones i took are like that . Very hard to get another POV when looking up all the time :D. But they were all quite jolly and the handlers seem to have a good time sitting at the end of the strings(?)

I agree with you about the sky in the #2 but i don't have the PP skills yet to address that and i don't shoot in RAW so may be a bit constrained.

Good catch up Alan (y)

Joy, a simple but effective take on the theme, lots of photography potential in a typewriter I feel. I particularly like the texture you've captured, the ink on the paper to the paper itself, good work.

Symmetry, (y) its all been said but technically very good, you've handled the exposure well on the car...(what a car :love:) against what looks like bright conditions.

Small, nice one too, the backlighting has really accentuated the form of the peapod works well in the theme.

Straight, bang on theme. I would think its difficult to capture something different in photographing kites. You've done well here with the composition in being able to clearly see the different kites.

Iain

Sorry it's brief - I'm lagging behind again! :(

Joy - Nice composition and a lovely sentiment. Lovely texture on the paper, too.
Small - Adorable. Really well lit.
Straight - I didn't notice the people at first, then saw them and thought, whoa, that thing's huge. So I definitely agree with having them in there! It really is very straight too, so nicely done :)

Week 30 Contrast

This may not be as stark a contrast as some but I liked the light/shadow and the contrast in the textures of the materials and I liked the calmness, altho nothing to do with contrast.

On reflection, I think that I also felt the contrast between the many people wandering around in the sunlight, partaking of the refreshments in the cafe, generally enjoying life and the poor souls who were commemorated there.

I know that many of you have visited this place and must have been impressed by the calm atmosphere and, even in sadness, the uplift that it gives to know that these men and women are not forgotten.

DSC_1211_-_Copy_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Good catch up Alan (y)

Joy, a simple but effective take on the theme, lots of photography potential in a typewriter I feel. I particularly like the texture you've captured, the ink on the paper to the paper itself, good work.

Symmetry, (y) its all been said but technically very good, you've handled the exposure well on the car...(what a car :love:) against what looks like bright conditions.

Small, nice one too, the backlighting has really accentuated the form of the peapod works well in the theme.

Straight, bang on theme. I would think its difficult to capture something different in photographing kites. You've done well here with the composition in being able to clearly see the different kites.

Iain

Thanks for the time taken to comment and the encouraging words

Sorry it's brief - I'm lagging behind again! :(

Joy - Nice composition and a lovely sentiment. Lovely texture on the paper, too.
Small - Adorable. Really well lit.
Straight - I didn't notice the people at first, then saw them and thought, whoa, that thing's huge. So I definitely agree with having them in there! It really is very straight too, so nicely done :)

Thanks Vicky

Hi Alan,

letter - I think you have done well with the exposure here, it's never easy taking photos of white objects. You have also captured the letters well and the movement adds to the interest!:)

Contrast - it is a very moving place to visit, it really comes home to you how many people have lost their lives when you look at all those names! You have coped well with the exposure - there is lots of detail in both the whites and blacks!:)

Hi Alan,

letter - I think you have done well with the exposure here, it's never easy taking photos of white objects. You have also captured the letters well and the movement adds to the interest!:)

Contrast - it is a very moving place to visit, it really comes home to you how many people have lost their lives when you look at all those names! You have coped well with the exposure - there is lots of detail in both the whites and blacks!:)

Letter, I like the motion blur on the envelope. Contrast, the poppy on the left hand side makes the picture. It's a great place to visit, I will never forget how I felt when I got to that monument.

Thanks both. I agree about the poppy and my intention was to place that as a counterpoint to the other elements. I am pleased with the outcome.

Letter - It's funny as I scrolled down I first saw a letter T on the door. Nice shot and the motion blur works well.

Contrast - Without that poppy this image would be nowhere near as effective. Good spot and spot on theme.

Hi Alan,

Letter, I know that struggle shooting something white:bonk: I like the movement in the letter(y)

Contrast, I have the same subject for one of my contrast shots just, a slight different take on the theme, the poppy definitely helps here. It's a very moving memorial.

Well done for sticking with it, keep going.

Hi Alan
really love your image for Contrast.... the shadow against the stonework & writing is most effective but the poppy lifts the whole image to another level....really great image :clap:

Letter....really well exposed , nice motion blur in the falling letter (y)

Letter is great, I love the movement in the letters themselves. Unfortunately it looks like the door is slightly off-kilter with the framing of the shot but the letterbox looks bang on... meaning they're wonky in reality? Not your fault (unless you put in the letterbox!) but it's driving me nuts!

Contrast is lovely - totally agree with Lynne's comments. Nice one!

Letter - It's funny as I scrolled down I first saw a letter T on the door. Nice shot and the motion blur works well.

Contrast - Without that poppy this image would be nowhere near as effective. Good spot and spot on theme.

Yes i saw the T and decided to leave it in because of the detail of the panels.

Hi Alan,

Letter, I know that struggle shooting something white:bonk: I like the movement in the letter(y)

Contrast, I have the same subject for one of my contrast shots just, a slight different take on the theme, the poppy definitely helps here. It's a very moving memorial.

Well done for sticking with it, keep going.

Thanks - will do

Hi Alan
really love your image for Contrast.... the shadow against the stonework & writing is most effective but the poppy lifts the whole image to another level....really great image :clap:

Letter....really well exposed , nice motion blur in the falling letter (y)

Thanks Lynne

Letter is great, I love the movement in the letters themselves. Unfortunately it looks like the door is slightly off-kilter with the framing of the shot but the letterbox looks bang on... meaning they're wonky in reality? Not your fault (unless you put in the letterbox!) but it's driving me nuts!

Contrast is lovely - totally agree with Lynne's comments. Nice one!

thanks Vicky - I thought that the letter shot was bang on when on the camera LCD but when on the pc it was a pain to straighten. The door is out, the letterbox is out etc etc. Things that the human eye just compensates for, but not the camera!.. I tried cropping it more but then the detail of the door panels was lost, which is one of the elements which made it interesting for me.

No chance of a reshoot as we still have the same door :)

Hi Alan :)

Damn I'm way behind on yours.... Sorry, think I have been busy concentrating on up to date titles thinking I was the only one behind :shake: seems there are fewer entries now I will be subscribing to every one in my main folder now, should help me stop missing threads

Joy - Really like that shot, the detail in the paper, nice light and the delicate imprinted letters, the red o is a great finishing touch (y)

Small - Good colour again, liking the light coming through the transparent shell, well set up

Straight - Boy there is some interesting kytes there, a very original take, works well

The submitted shot is good, having been there for the wirewool spin this pic sure helps show the scale of it, a great spot - like this :)

Letter - A bit more of that great looking floor would be nice to add a bit more colour, the colour of the door looks fine to me & spot on with a very well caught falling letter, how many times did that take !!!

Contrast - Now I really like that, the light is handled very well, good detail and agree the poppy is a nice touch of colour

Last edited:
Thanks DK

I am behind but I have 3/4 more taken and need finishing touches. Thanks for staying with me. At the mo I am commenting on about 20 live threads, most of which are further on than mine, but comments on mine are a little low so I am much obliged for your feedback.

I think you may be right about the floor in 'Letter'. I was so concerned to get the motion (my 'assistant' was most patient!!) that I possibly overlooked the potential of the tiled floor.

Week 31 - Mineral

I was contemplating something with sand or pebbles or rock but decided to search 'mineral' on the web - only to find that these are not neessarily minerals. Normally this would not bother me , just stretch the theme a bit, but this seemed to nag at me so I opted for a safer subject which I know to contain a mineral. I tried hard to get some form of starburst/highlight in it but failed - so here it is.

DSC_1320_edited-1.jpg

Hi Alan

Mineral, good composition and I like the reflection of the ring. I'm not sure on the top half of the ring though as its reflecting off a dark surface making the metal look black! I think it needs to be either all black or all lighter :thinking:

As for starburst, I've read that F22 is the magic number for starbursts! Not sure if you tried that high up?

Week 32 - Dark

DSC_0288_edited-2.jpg

Week 33 - Time

Just could not get all of the verticals 'vertical' so went for the left hand side

DSC_1195_-_Copy_3_edited-1.jpg

Week 34 - Body

Another one from my visit to NMA.

I was pleased to see this for the theme and fortunate to get 2 from the same site but i really cannot believe that I missed off the 'Y' from 'duty'. The only reason that i can come up with is that there were many other people about and in trying to exclude them from the shot i lost attention to the details

DSC_1203_edited-1.jpg

So in view of the above, #2 will be my submission.

#2 Body
DSC_1443_-_Copy_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the ring needs a bit more dof or a change of focus point, the diamond looks a little oof.
Dark, like it, very nice lighting, good use of the subject
Time, very good shot, I tried this when I went but had poor light at the time, the sunlight picks it out nicely
Body, as you mentioned really, it is awkward when its busy, but I quite like the next one, nice lighting and composition.

Hi Alan,

Dark, good composition and unique take on the theme (y)

Time, I think I had blinkers on at the NMA as I never saw that when I was there! I need to go again!!! Great idea for the theme though:clap: As for the verticals I'd have gone with the right as its closer to the edge of the shot! It's not a major issue to me though.

Body 1, oops on chopping the letter off, but apart from that it's a great shot for the theme.
Body 2, nice lighting here and the composition is spot on(y)

Thanks DK

I am behind but I have 3/4 more taken and need finishing touches. Thanks for staying with me. At the mo I am commenting on about 20 live threads, most of which are further on than mine, but comments on mine are a little low so I am much obliged for your feedback.

I think you may be right about the floor in 'Letter'. I was so concerned to get the motion (my 'assistant' was most patient!!) that I possibly overlooked the potential of the tiled floor.
No worries... sorry I got so far behind, I used to scan for the latest topic and try keep up on comments on them and then even that fell off target when work got too busy (always silly season in school hols) :bonk:

Anyway back on comments...

Mineral - A nice shot, agree that the black doesn't help, but a very good reflection and clear background

Cant see EXIF, but I think a rough guide is f-stop needs to be at least 1/2 of focal length being used or f22 or smaller apature... I think :thinking:

Dark - Good crop, would be tempted to darken blacks to get a real black hole... but a real good subject for the theme :)

Time - Ooooo like that, works very well indeed, great POV and good light (y)

Body 1 - Main crit you have already mentioned and the cropped butt... but great subject for the theme, and again like the chosen POV

Body 2 - Good directional lighting on the body and background works really well while keeping the black plinth !!!! - Nice One :clap:

Mineral – oooo I do like this one. Lovely exposure, reflection and composition.

Dark – I had to look twice to work out what it was. I like your interpretation. Good positioning as well.

Time – A very poignant view. Having visited the NMA on the TP meet I know how moving this place is.

Body – I like the lighting on #2. The shadows have really worked well. You also can’t help smile along with the figure.

Hi Alan

2 brilliant shots form the NMA meet....both meet the stated themes & just look fab to me.

Time....lovely angle , nice n sharpe on the writing...didn't notice the verticals till I read your words...very moving verse that....(y)

Body....the NMA shot wins by a mile ...no crit other than what you've mentioned....brilliant image mister :clap:

Dark....hmmm , like the crop , maybe mono would suit it more.....?

Mineral....love the reflection but would love to see it in color , might be my screen but looks a little oof ?

ps....HAVE YOU SEEN...

TP 52'S END OF PROJECT MEET

Some good shots here with my favourite being your take on MINERAL. I like the composition and the subtle reflection.

Cheers

Hi Alan

Mineral, good composition and I like the reflection of the ring. I'm not sure on the top half of the ring though as its reflecting off a dark surface making the metal look black! I think it needs to be either all black or all lighter :thinking:

As for starburst, I've read that F22 is the magic number for starbursts! Not sure if you tried that high up?

Thanks for advice. To be honest did not see the dark area above but liked it anyway.

Looks like the ring needs a bit more dof or a change of focus point, the diamond looks a little oof.
Dark, like it, very nice lighting, good use of the subject
Time, very good shot, I tried this when I went but had poor light at the time, the sunlight picks it out nicely
Body, as you mentioned really, it is awkward when its busy, but I quite like the next one, nice lighting and composition.

Thanks Michael. Take your point about the stone - I am v happy with comp and lighting but maybe I will have another go on a reshoot to see if i can improve it.

Hi Alan,

Dark, good composition and unique take on the theme (y)

Time, I think I had blinkers on at the NMA as I never saw that when I was there! I need to go again!!! Great idea for the theme though:clap: As for the verticals I'd have gone with the right as its closer to the edge of the shot! It's not a major issue to me though.

Body 1, oops on chopping the letter off, but apart from that it's a great shot for the theme.
Body 2, nice lighting here and the composition is spot on(y)

Thanks for kind words Marsha

No worries... sorry I got so far behind, I used to scan for the latest topic and try keep up on comments on them and then even that fell off target when work got too busy (always silly season in school hols) :bonk:

Anyway back on comments...

Mineral - A nice shot, agree that the black doesn't help, but a very good reflection and clear background

Cant see EXIF, but I think a rough guide is f-stop needs to be at least 1/2 of focal length being used or f22 or smaller apature... I think :thinking:

Dark - Good crop, would be tempted to darken blacks to get a real black hole... but a real good subject for the theme :)

Time - Ooooo like that, works very well indeed, great POV and good light (y)

Body 1 - Main crit you have already mentioned and the cropped butt... but great subject for the theme, and again like the chosen POV

Body 2 - Good directional lighting on the body and background works really well while keeping the black plinth !!!! - Nice One :clap:

Thanks DK - your usual helpful and friendly comments

Mineral – oooo I do like this one. Lovely exposure, reflection and composition.

Dark – I had to look twice to work out what it was. I like your interpretation. Good positioning as well.

Time – A very poignant view. Having visited the NMA on the TP meet I know how moving this place is.

Body – I like the lighting on #2. The shadows have really worked well. You also can’t help smile along with the figure.

Thanks Peter - the shinto priest is a prized gift brought back to me from Japan over 20 years ago. It has some script with it which i must try to get translated

Hi Alan

2 brilliant shots form the NMA meet....both meet the stated themes & just look fab to me.

Time....lovely angle , nice n sharpe on the writing...didn't notice the verticals till I read your words...very moving verse that....(y)

Body....the NMA shot wins by a mile ...no crit other than what you've mentioned....brilliant image mister :clap:

Dark....hmmm , like the crop , maybe mono would suit it more.....?

Mineral....love the reflection but would love to see it in color , might be my screen but looks a little oof ?

ps....HAVE YOU SEEN...

TP 52'S END OF PROJECT MEET

Thanks Lynne - that mineral has certainly split opinion. :)

Some good shots here with my favourite being your take on MINERAL. I like the composition and the subtle reflection.

Cheers

Thanks Bob

Week 37 - Duo

Could not make up my mind so 3 to look at - a little indulgent I know.

Giant seed pods - weather quite poor so no shadow on the tops to bring out their shape very well

DSC_1554_edited-1.jpg

These two were not too bothered by me - even tho I did not feed them

DSC_1590_edited-1.jpg

Finally, John Bowden on the Wurlitzer and David Lobhan on the Roland. Very difficult lighting as the Wurlitzer is spotlit from the gods and the Roland is dark plastic wood and the spots and gels all over the ballroom make for tricky photos . Had to screw up to 3200iso but pretty happy with it in the circumstances. My OH said that it would have done for the 'Up' theme but I am too honest :D as John is going down and then the Roland moves forward. Only happens like this every hour on the hour.

DSC_1648_edited-1.jpg

You’ve been busy…..

Liquid – Nice shot capturing the water on the leaves well.

Up – Certainly gives a sense of up particularly with the slowish shutter speed and hence motion blur

Duo – I’d go for #1. These are strange thing. The first time we saw them in Blackpool we wondered what they are as it was a still day. When windy (which is quite often there) they seem to come to life

Flow – Good simple approach. I like the blue background to compliment the silver of the tap.

Thanks Peter

I have been trying very hard to get up to date with my shots (and now i am until tomorrow!"!) and commenting on what I have sudscribed as 20 live threads. It takes time but I feel that it is worth it and i am still enjoying the Challenge altho i think that my output is variable and does not match the consistent standard that other people set. I am pleased that you take the time to comment on mine.

Off on Tuesday for 9 days so will have to try to keep up from abroad.

Back