weekly Posiview's 2013 52. Week 52, Water added TTFN.

Whilst I like number 1 with the lighting and bg and dif, number 2 wins it for me Andy! That would look great on a wall, can't really fault it.

No.2 is a fabulous shot and a winner for me

2nd pic for me can't fault it excellent pp and composition 1st one is good either one would have done but No2 i love the stark black and white had a look on flickr too excellent :clap:

Thanks, all and thanks Allan for reminding me to link to Flickr. The black Flickr BG really can make a photograph stand out more (y)

I agree, they're both brilliant, but the second one has to win it for me. The dark and sparse atmosphere fits winter perfectly, where we sit in cold and dark waiting for spring and to thaw our feet out. I also agree that it would look great on a wall.

I love number 2 myself, great photo!

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm not a big fan of number 1. Either it's too simple, or there's not enough to keep my attention.

Number 2? (y)

Appreciate the feedback. I only have small photographs on the wall, maybe it's time for a poster size :D

Number 2 for me.

When I first look at it I think it looks really simple, just black and white, but then all the detail of the empty branches start drawing my eye.

Cracking shot.

I really like both these shots, really like the dof and colour on the first and like everything about the second.

LOving them both - if had had to pick a fave, I think the bulb might just edge it. Love the colours, & the pure simplicity of it.

Cheers for the input. (y)

Both are good enough to frame. I Love the trees though - it's a (y) from me.

I would prefer a little bit more depth of field on the bulb shot, I do like the shape of it though.

The trees are fab. Lovely composition, works well in mono and very seasonal. (y)

Number one is not for me cant really put my finger on the reason why to be honest but Number 2 is great love the whiteness of the backround make the trees really stand out

Cheers, all (y)

Hi Andy

Season - Both excellent shots mate, and another vote for number 2, love the crop and really like how there is still foreground detail (y)

& he strikes again with 2 shots ...you have wayyyyy too much time on your hands mister :p

#1 for me.....love the clarity & detail of the bulb , well lit with just a hint of shadow :clap: The only little niggle is the upper part of the stem...color seems a bit to strong & " clean " for want of a better word with a hint of yellow fringing round the very tip ?

#2...for me , whilst I envy your ability with exposure , holds no interest for my eye's...maybe bigger would change my mind..sorry :crying:

Ta...(y)

I'm glad 2 of you liked #1. Strange. It took much longer from start to finish than #2. Goes to show...err, something.

I'm not 100% happy with #1. Regarding DOF, this the bulb was taken at f14! Goes to show how narrow the DOF is on the 105mm.

There is a bit or orange on the tip, as Lynne states. Saw it but forgot to sort it before uploading it :bonk:

Lynne, view via Flickr with black BG (y) :D

Thanks, all and as usual, if I've missed anyone let me know (y)

Hi Andy!

Im about to go off as ive got millions of uni work to do! Id thought id comment on both your Sin and Season images before i go because i felt bad after you replied in the other forum.

I actually though i had commented on your sin images as they where first up! Where have the bottle top and Jack Daniels ones gone i though they where really really good! Absolutely loved them two. I think the lighting on the beer bottle is spot on and also the Durex one is rather sinister and lit really well in my opinion.

I think that you next two season images are really good. I like the white background and bright colors on the bulb image and the way it is placed. Id say this one is my favorite of the two. In saying that the second is also a fantastic shot. Cracking!

I like the brightness and simplicity of the bulb.

Sorry I can't offer something more helpful.

Hi Andy!

Im about to go off as ive got millions of uni work to do! Id thought id comment on both your Sin and Season images before i go because i felt bad after you replied in the other forum.

I actually though i had commented on your sin images as they where first up! Where have the bottle top and Jack Daniels ones gone i though they where really really good! Absolutely loved them two. I think the lighting on the beer bottle is spot on and also the Durex one is rather sinister and lit really well in my opinion.

I think that you next two season images are really good. I like the white background and bright colors on the bulb image and the way it is placed. Id say this one is my favorite of the two. In saying that the second is also a fantastic shot. Cracking!

Cheers, guys, appreciate the comments and work hard at uni, Lee, and avoid alcohol, curries and strange women :D

Agreed with above comments
Personally love the simplicity and contrast of 2, nice work (y)

Hi Andy

Season - #1 - on theme and good comp. Perhaps a little more detail required in the right hand side of the bulb and the orange tip has been mentioned, but overall a good shot

#2 - like the comp and the crop. Lovely shape of the copse and an excellent feel of the season to it. Good exposure and detail

Like the first one for season, the colour the dof and the detail in the bulb.

The second is a bleak, stark silhouette but I just can't put my finger on why I prefer the first.

I'm holding out with just one for now(not including requested edits) but if the weather gives me a second chance :D

superpippo said:
Hi Andy

Season - #1 - on theme and good comp. Perhaps a little more detail required in the right hand side of the bulb and the orange tip has been mentioned, but overall a good shot

#2 - like the comp and the crop. Lovely shape of the copse and an excellent feel of the season to it. Good exposure and detail

Yeah. I spend quite a while on #1, bit couldn't get the lighting right.

foggy4ever said:
Like the first one for season, the colour the dof and the detail in the bulb.

The second is a bleak, stark silhouette but I just can't put my finger on why I prefer the first.

I'm holding out with just one for now(not including requested edits) but if the weather gives me a second chance :D

I think with number one, and I suspect it's just me, it almost seems like it's burrowing into the surface :)

I mustn't post any more......but could I resist a nice snow photograph.....suspect not!

Cheers all.

A nice pair of contrasting shots there Andy. Bags of colour in the first one and well composed and set up on the white background.

I really like the silhouette though. Stark & wintry and again - well composed.

Ian.

Hi mate, I like the pin prick idea, nice original approach to the theme, if not somewhat scary!
I'd have to favour the tree line shot for 'season' creates a very nice mood.

Well done.

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

Your bulb image is a little oversaturated for my liking, but I do like the simplicity of it.

I'd have to agree with the vast majority and say that your tree silhouette is a clear winner for this week. Works nicely in the crop you've chosen :clap:

A nice pair of contrasting shots there Andy. Bags of colour in the first one and well composed and set up on the white background.

I really like the silhouette though. Stark & wintry and again - well composed.

Ian.

Hi mate, I like the pin prick idea, nice original approach to the theme, if not somewhat scary!
I'd have to favour the tree line shot for 'season' creates a very nice mood.

Well done.

Hi Andy,

Your bulb image is a little oversaturated for my liking, but I do like the simplicity of it.

I'd have to agree with the vast majority and say that your tree silhouette is a clear winner for this week. Works nicely in the crop you've chosen :clap:

Hi Andy, I think the detail in the bulb shot is really good, but your second shot is just superb, especially viewed in full size on Flickr :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks, all, appreciate the feedback.

#1 took hours to do....#2, although not a grab shot didn't take nearly as long to make as #1. Go figure :D

Well, week 3 is almost upon us. :clap:to all those still here :clap:

Cheers.

#2 for me andy - i love silhouette shots

Pretty much similar thoughts as others, would be happy if I'd taken both but prefer the second

Both are cracking shots. I did actually consider going down a similar route to no.1 (but time went against me), I wonder if it would work better with a few more items? With one it makes me think "product shot".

Definitely 2 for me though :)

Apologies Andy, I thought I had commented on your season images but obviously not. I have been away on a course for the past two weeks and time was at a premium. Anyway, onto your photographs.

#1 Grabs me due to the vibrant colours, it has strong composition with the green shoot towards the background on a diagonal and oof. Crit, I feel it needs a different background, the white is perhaps a little too clinical for the subject IMHO. Or maybe even some soil around the bulb so as its not so clean looking.

#2 Gets my vote, simple yet very effective, the strong silhouette and panoramic feel make it a definite wall hanger. Good work that man (y)

Both are cracking shots. I did actually consider going down a similar route to no.1 (but time went against me), I wonder if it would work better with a few more items? With one it makes me think "product shot".

Definitely 2 for me though :)

Thanks, Jamie.

I only had one bulb. Not sure I'd have used more, though, if I had them.

Apologies Andy, I thought I had commented on your season images but obviously not. I have been away on a course for the past two weeks and time was at a premium. Anyway, onto your photographs.

#1 Grabs me due to the vibrant colours, it has strong composition with the green shoot towards the background on a diagonal and oof. Crit, I feel it needs a different background, the white is perhaps a little too clinical for the subject IMHO. Or maybe even some soil around the bulb so as its not so clean looking.

#2 Gets my vote, simple yet very effective, the strong silhouette and panoramic feel make it a definite wall hanger. Good work that man (y)

No worries, Iain, there are lots to get though :nuts:

Never crossed my mind to include soil. My intention was to produce a very clinical photograph but soil....hhmmm. I might have a go at PP and drop it onto some soil.

Yeah, #2 is my favourite too.

Cheers.

Oh good god. How can you live with yourself after doing that? :cautious:

Another really well executed shot. Tidy background, clean lines, contrast works really well. Plus it made me laugh. Not quite sure what I can see reflected in the front of the gravity boat, though.

Very clever not in a million years would that pass through my head :clap: humour is always good ;)

Last edited:
:LOL::LOL::LOL:....only you :D

Can't offer crit as giggling too much :clap:

Thats VERY clever!! (y)

Quick off the mark Andy (y)

Nice clean lines to this, clean background, a fun and creative take on the theme. Nowt more to add but I am willing to bet that this won't be your final submission for the week eh? ;)

Back