weekly alsjazzera TP52 2014 WEEK 52 SUPPORT added

Swirl- interesting, what is it? :confused:

Liking the re-shoot, you've captured the dog very well, looks sharp, good dof (y)

Hi, Allan you've done a cracking in with the focus on Play and well composed. Holly looks to be having a blast :)

I never know if it's my iPad or not but it looks a little dark and almost like you've desaturated it a bit :thinking:

Cheers.

Super dog shot Allan... bet she really moves! Terrific capture and great timing with all four feet off the ground - and sharp as you like!

I'm also not really feeling the desat of the greens here.. maybe a darkening could work to help lift the dog out, (but keep the saturation), the shadows say good strong light, which is at odds with the grass.

Last edited:
Hi, Allan you've done a cracking in with the focus on Play and well composed. Holly looks to be having a blast :)

I never know if it's my iPad or not but it looks a little dark and almost like you've desaturated it a bit :thinking:

Cheers.

Super dog shot Allan... bet she really moves! Terrific capture and great timing with all four feet off the ground - and sharp as you like!

I'm also not really feeling the desat of the greens here.. maybe a darkening could work to help lift the dog out, (but keep the saturation), the shadows say good strong light, which is at odds with the grass.

Yes I have overdone the desaturation now I have had another look, will have another try later.

Have now put the original pic up of the dog and removed the desaturated one (y)

Hi Allan

what is that Swirly thingy....a ring ? a belt ? nicely placed in the frame , some great colors & a hint of a shadow (y)

Reshoot....always like doggy pic's , fits the theme , really sharp & well captured with feet off the floor :)

Hi Allan
Swirl - Mrs SP has a bangle a bit like that. Good fro theme and like the orientation. Shadow does not bother me, altho the bottom part of object seems a bit oof compared to top. Reflected colours give a lift

Play reshoot - I did not see the desat one but this one looks spot on. Good motion and well caught action shot and space for the dog to run in to. Good colour but maybe a bit tighter crop.:thinking:

Hi Allan
Swirl - Mrs SP has a bangle a bit like that. Good fro theme and like the orientation. Shadow does not bother me, altho the bottom part of object seems a bit oof compared to top. Reflected colours give a lift

Play reshoot - I did not see the desat one but this one looks spot on. Good motion and well caught action shot and space for the dog to run in to. Good colour but maybe a bit tighter crop.:thinking:
EDIT - looked again onflickr and crop looks fine on there - so ignore

WEEK 12 LINKED

Shackles
by allanhowe, on Flickr

Off to Pembrokeshire for a few days on Monday so a quick entry from me and perhaps not the most inspiring.

Last edited:
Good themed pictures. Too stark for me but crisp and clear nevertheless.

Hi Allan,

Positive, aww, great lighting and the splash of red gets my vote. Lovely composition too.

Time, yes this theme has appeared quite a lot now! Plenty of detail and subtle lighting.

Swirl, ooo what is that? I like the odd reflections in it and fancy colours. Not sure on a stronger shadow though, I think it’s fine as is.

Play reshoot, whatever it is she is chasing it looks like dam good fun! Super sharp and nicely caught mid gallop with all four paws up.

Linked, very quick off the mark, they look big shackles? Or are they? Perfect for the theme though and nice and sharp. Not the most photogenic items though!

Like the symmetry in the electrical thingys, no idea what they are!

Have a nice time in Pembrokeshire.

Prefer the shackles Alan, good detail, composition, clean bg, plenty of dof and I like the shadow (y)

I like the shackles. Nice definition there and well lit. Are you a rigger or a lampie or noise boy or something? Those shackles are the same as the ones I used to use. I may have a couple hanging around somewhere still.

Definitely the simplicity of the shackles for me. The other one is well composed and on theme, but I've no idea what it is and purely because of that I find it distracting and annoying trying to work out what it might be :grumpy:

Swirl- interesting, what is it? :confused:

Liking the re-shoot, you've captured the dog very well, looks sharp, good dof (y)

Thanks

Cheers.

see below

Have changed the pic to the original the desat as you say was too much I tend to play with images when i really shouldn't, I think its better now

Hi Allan

what is that Swirly thingy....a ring ? a belt ? nicely placed in the frame , some great colors & a hint of a shadow (y)

Reshoot....always like doggy pic's , fits the theme , really sharp & well captured with feet off the floor :)

thanks Lynne
Hi Allan

Thanks

EDIT - looked again onflickr and crop looks fine on there - so ignore

I did :ROFLMAO:

for all those that asked the swirly thing is a spring distorted in photoshop :exit:

Last edited:
Good themed pictures. Too stark for me but crisp and clear nevertheless.

Thank you the 2nd one is a bit stark I agree

Hi Allan,

Positive, aww, great lighting and the splash of red gets my vote. Lovely composition too.

Time, yes this theme has appeared quite a lot now! Plenty of detail and subtle lighting.

Swirl, ooo what is that? I like the odd reflections in it and fancy colours. Not sure on a stronger shadow though, I think it’s fine as is.

Play reshoot, whatever it is she is chasing it looks like dam good fun! Super sharp and nicely caught mid gallop with all four paws up.

Linked, very quick off the mark, they look big shackles? Or are they? Perfect for the theme though and nice and sharp. Not the most photogenic items though!

Like the symmetry in the electrical thingys, no idea what they are!

Have a nice time in Pembrokeshire.

Thanks Marsha you are right not the most photogenic things :LOL:

Prefer the shackles Alan, good detail, composition, clean bg, plenty of dof and I like the shadow (y)

Thanks

I like the shackles. Nice definition there and well lit. Are you a rigger or a lampie or noise boy or something? Those shackles are the same as the ones I used to use. I may have a couple hanging around somewhere still.

I used to work in theatre as a flyman then technical stage manager not really involved with lights or sound though have done a little of both
can't believe you spotted that, thanks for the comment

Definitely the simplicity of the shackles for me. The other one is well composed and on theme, but I've no idea what it is and purely because of that I find it distracting and annoying trying to work out what it might be :grumpy:

Thanks the electrical things are guitar effect pedals, you can sleep easily now

Last edited:
Hey Allan :)

Linked - You may think not inspiring but they are very nicely lit, good un-distracting shadows, liking the worn red paint on the pins, which add a nice splash of colour, linked together too - what's not to like (y)

2nd Shot - Really liking the 'Linked' Element, but not liking the crop, for me they are too uneven, buttons clipped on one side and not the other, works likewise (that's just my OCD) but again really well lit and nicely set up too (y)

Nice clear detailed shot of the shackles.... plenty of interst in the paint chips and text... shadow is a bit fierce though for me...

I guess the strong light is what's brought out the details, would a stronger light with a bit of diffusion have kept the detail and lessened the shadow?

Reshoot - Absolutely cracking shot. To capture a dog in full flight isn't easy - I took 103 of our two on Sunday morning and only got one I was happy with. Exposure and shutter speed are spot on.

Linked - I like this maybe other than the shadow. It needs one but maybe not quite as strong. The use of a less than perfect subject provides interest. The subject is also pin sharp all over.

Linked: For me an interesting picture. Really like the silvery grey and red together and the harsh lighting compliments these colours well. Agree with others that lighthing is perhaps too heavy though saying that, it does'nt appear blown out so guess its a matter of taste? I like the harsh shadow and their crisp edges. Good effort Allan (y)

Linked - on theme and very sharp. Lighting is a bit to much for me, making the shadow a bit harsh. i like the fact that the shackles have age - adds to the shot. Perhaps something attached to the shackles (rope, webbing) would give a bit more context:thinking: - i certainly thought this when I saw that the post said that you were off to Pembrokeshire as i could imagine these in use on a fishing trawler.
Have a good time

HI Allan

wow....thats super strong harsh light, for me at least , it kinda works with the strong rugged hook/claspy things ( a technical term don't ya know!) I even quite like the hard shadows & you've bought out the texture of the metal really well :)

The top bit of the background irks me....sort of speckeldy grey & there's a sort of 2nd shadow/halo going on round some of the hard shadows...not sure if it's real or caused in pp ?

Hi Allan...both images bang on theme but visually I prefer the shackles one...I like the fact it's so crisp and clear.

Have a nice holiday :)

THanks

Linked - two good images both fit the theme but, I like the composition of the first image.

Thank you

On theme and an okay image but that lighting is waaayy too harsh, well focused though (y)

It is way too harsh I have to agree

Hey Allan :)

Linked - You may think not inspiring but they are very nicely lit, good un-distracting shadows, liking the worn red paint on the pins, which add a nice splash of colour, linked together too - what's not to like (y)

2nd Shot - Really liking the 'Linked' Element, but not liking the crop, for me they are too uneven, buttons clipped on one side and not the other, works likewise (that's just my OCD) but again really well lit and nicely set up too (y)

Thanks

Nice clear detailed shot of the shackles.... plenty of interst in the paint chips and text... shadow is a bit fierce though for me...

I guess the strong light is what's brought out the details, would a stronger light with a bit of diffusion have kept the detail and lessened the shadow?

You might be right about diffusing the light to be honest I rushed it was in the middle of packing

Linked - on theme and very sharp. Lighting is a bit to much for me, making the shadow a bit harsh. i like the fact that the shackles have age - adds to the shot. Perhaps something attached to the shackles (rope, webbing) would give a bit more context:thinking: - i certainly thought this when I saw that the post said that you were off to Pembrokeshire as i could imagine these in use on a fishing trawler.
Have a good time

Ta

I like the harshness of the light with the bland shackles.

Thanks

Like the shackles, but agree lighting looks a bit harsh. Have you tried it in b/w?

Never thought about B+W

Hi Allan, some chunky well used shackles there, nice details captured

Thank you

Don't mind the harsh shadows, The BG goes a little grey towards the top some good detail in the shackles,

It does get grey Thanks or looking

HI Allan

wow....thats super strong harsh light, for me at least , it kinda works with the strong rugged hook/claspy things ( a technical term don't ya know!) I even quite like the hard shadows & you've bought out the texture of the metal really well :)

The top bit of the background irks me....sort of speckeldy grey & there's a sort of 2nd shadow/halo going on round some of the hard shadows...not sure if it's real or caused in pp ?

The strong rugged hook/claspy things, didn't realise you are a rigger Lynne ;)
I have not had a good time with shadows recently :(

Hi Allan....I love the linked shot :) lots of lovely sizes, textures, and interesting objects all captured in there, and the black and white is perfect.....although I would be interested to see the colour version.

I like the aspect of the curved steps ... leading into the picture and then out at the top...very nice.

Back