weekly alsjazzeras TP52 2015 week 52 CHRISTMAS added FINISHED

Yep. What they said...

Although if adding a stain to the water was a luxury, how about removing the shrooms? That would be even more watery soup!

Like the idea and love the background - very rustic.

Interesting idea. Had a similar thought myself, but couldn't think how to pull it off, so nice work.

Yep. What they said...

Although if adding a stain to the water was a luxury, how about removing the shrooms? That would be even more watery soup!

Like the idea and love the background - very rustic.

Good point, but it needed something at least floating in the water, believe me it did cross my mind

Interesting idea. Had a similar thought myself, but couldn't think how to pull it off, so nice work.

Thanks

I actually really, really like that this is so different to anything I would have imagined for watery.
Brilliant idea and the processing works a treat.

Three mushrooms though? I think that's far too generous a portion size :LOL:
Although in seriousness I think maybe smaller or thinner mushroom pieces may have floated a little better and been a better fit in proportion to the bowl.
I got the water thing straight away, so no suggestions from me on colouring or clouding the water. IMO it needed to be thin, clear and pretty miserable looking to work.
I do wonder if it would have taken it up a notch if you'd been able to stage it with the spoon raised from the bowl and some water dripping back off into the bowl??? Would have erased any doubts at all about what was in it.

I actually really, really like that this is so different to anything I would have imagined for watery.
Brilliant idea and the processing works a treat.

Three mushrooms though? I think that's far too generous a portion size :LOL:
Although in seriousness I think maybe smaller or thinner mushroom pieces may have floated a little better and been a better fit in proportion to the bowl.
I got the water thing straight away, so no suggestions from me on colouring or clouding the water. IMO it needed to be thin, clear and pretty miserable looking to work.
I do wonder if it would have taken it up a notch if you'd been able to stage it with the spoon raised from the bowl and some water dripping back off into the bowl??? Would have erased any doubts at all about what was in it.

Thanks for the nice comments (y)
Good point about the size of the mushrooms, but raised spoon water dripping off it, you don't ask for much do you :LOL:

Hi Allan

Watery.....I also didn't realise there was water in the bowl until I read others comments.....that said , it's an original take, love the mono &use of the chopping board (y)

Elegant.....never work with children or animals - they just never do what you need! However , whichever way you look at it a Swan really cannot be anything but elegant , well exposed with good detail in the feathers...the water does look a touch blue but I' working on that being caused by a wonderful blue sky ;)

Without any write up or note to go with the shot I was staring at the image trying to work out the link between the mushroom slices and the watery theme until I read Andy's @posiview comments. Very cleaver idea. I thought a dash of colour or darker water tone would help it to stand out a bit from the dish.

Hi Allan

Watery.....I also didn't realise there was water in the bowl until I read others comments.....that said , it's an original take, love the mono &use of the chopping board (y)

Elegant.....never work with children or animals - they just never do what you need! However , whichever way you look at it a Swan really cannot be anything but elegant , well exposed with good detail in the feathers...the water does look a touch blue but I' working on that being caused by a wonderful blue sky ;)

Tricky stuff that water :whistle:

Without any write up or note to go with the shot I was staring at the image trying to work out the link between the mushroom slices and the watery theme until I read Andy's @posiview comments. Very cleaver idea. I thought a dash of colour or darker water tone would help it to stand out a bit from the dish.

seems the water in the bowl was a problem for most people, i don't feel it's a problem but then I know whats in the bowl, so lesson learnt there
:agree: I didn't 'get it' at all when I looked in the photos thread..... but clever interpretation.

Thanks

Well if you will insist on coming up with such good ideas that get me all inspired and challenging . . . :p

I can only apologise :sorry:

Companions - Nice image using complimentary tulips as the subject. You’ve captured the light on to, and maybe through(?), the petals really nicely. A good clean white background as well

Elegant - I feel the crop works well here although I’d have preferred the swan to be swimming towards the viewer.

Watery - Nice use of the wooden chopping block and table underneath to frame the subject matter. Was this a composite as there’s a shadow cast by the spoon but not the bowl? Nice handled mono conversion though.

Companions - Nice image using complimentary tulips as the subject. You’ve captured the light on to, and maybe through(?), the petals really nicely. A good clean white background as well

Elegant - I feel the crop works well here although I’d have preferred the swan to be swimming towards the viewer.

Watery - Nice use of the wooden chopping block and table underneath to frame the subject matter. Was this a composite as there’s a shadow cast by the spoon but not the bowl? Nice handled mono conversion though.

Thanks for looking, tulips one flash from the left slightly behind the subject and one from the right slightly forward of the tulips.
Watery, no composite i used 2 flashes, can't explain the weird shadows :thinking:

Hi Allan... pretty shot for Companions. Lovely lighting with the addition of some super backlighting from that white background. Really, really elegant. Oops - wrong theme!

Elegant... like the second image, but I do think your choice of Christmas tree decorations is a bit... well, odd. I'd have chosen an angel or maybe a star. Not a lemur with her legs wide open!

Watery... I have to say, I find this an absolute cracker! I don't know why - it's utterly abstract but just works so well for me and my slightly strange sense of humour. Lighting's pretty direct and unashamedly so, but that's ok. It suits. Probably dial down the lighting on the spoon but otherwise a wonderful "Terry Gilliam" style shot!

Hi
Sorry it's taken so long to get around to commenting
Fragile:liking the different colours in the buds, and the black background (something I struggle with)
Scenic:Great shot of the beach capturing clouds
Companion: Lovely lighting on the two tulips
Elegant: Lemur made me chuckle, very inelegant pose
Watery:good different take on theme

Unusual take on the subject Allan, but very bold indeed. Classic b/g and flower colours in vintage wallpaper/wall decoration
That bright blue works really well

Thanks for looking in, not sure I would like the wallpaper version very headache inducing :wideyed:

How are you enjoying your free time away from the 52

Another great take on the theme Alan. Wonder why you did not take a full flower head rather than half of two?

I did a few different takes, the full flower head was a bit boring and to be honest a little tatty looking, I suppose I wanted it to be a bit more than a simple flower portrait

not a fan of Chrysanthemums myself only chose them because they where the most gaudy flowers in the shop

Superb bold colours. to me the use of two flowers add interest to the shot rather than one whole one alone. :cool:

Thanks for looking in, not sure I would like the wallpaper version very headache inducing :wideyed:

How are you enjoying your free time away from the 52

Ok so far - I look a lot at the shots for this year and comment now and again. Seems well attended so far and plenty of good shots.
Slowed down a bit with my photos - dong a lot of family event stuff so not worth posting - but considering POTY just so I have something to do outside the family - don't expect to get far, looking at the competition, but still might be worth it.
Hope you and family are well.

Oh very BOLD and loud, Allan, I like that. And I too like the two halves flowers idea instead of the one. (y)

Bold, Like it. The colours contrast well against each other. The half flowers was an interesting take over a whole one. I thought it looked over sharpened and zoomed in...realised it was the pattern on the flower :)

Cheers.

Hi Allan, well, that's bold and no mistake!! I like the choice of two flowers too :)

Thanks for looking in

Ok so far - I look a lot at the shots for this year and comment now and again. Seems well attended so far and plenty of good shots.
Slowed down a bit with my photos - dong a lot of family event stuff so not worth posting - but considering POTY just so I have something to do outside the family - don't expect to get far, looking at the competition, but still might be worth it.
Hope you and family are well.

All good here, I did the POTY year last year but have not entered this year as of yet, might start again, though I do find the judging to be a little erratic, worth a try though and keeps you thinking

Very bold colours and bold processing too. I like the two halves flowers idea.

Thank you

Hi Allan ...I love the processing on this one, they look 3D ...composition looks good too :)

Thanks Susie

Oh very BOLD and loud, Allan, I like that. And I too like the two halves flowers idea instead of the one. (y)

Thanks d00d, they are loud

Bold, Like it. The colours contrast well against each other. The half flowers was an interesting take over a whole one. I thought it looked over sharpened and zoomed in...realised it was the pattern on the flower :)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, the flowers does seem to look over sharpened had to check it myself before I posted

More Bold than you can shake a stick at. Spot on theme.

Really liking your bold, and your boldness in breaking all the rules, think the shot really works on every level!

WEEK 7 RELAX!

Relax! by allanhowe, on Flickr

Not the most original image, as I am sure you will know, using the word "relax" as something that might be said at this moment :eek: :wideyed:

Holy crap, after your 'pretty' Bold submission this smacked me right between the eyes!

I can imagine the conversation, "Darling, I need to borrow you for a minute" :)

Nope, none of the crit is worthy of saying, because it's irrelevant.

Belter.

Cheers.

WOW.......

that's some Relax shot....I'm with Andy on this one...no way could I crit ! The gritty effect , the look in her eye , the position of the instrument.....:clap::clap:

Bold...yup, certainly is, cracking contrast between all the colors & I love that you've not used a whole flower head , bold composition as well....works a treat :clap::clap:

Hi Allan.
Relax, a strong compelling image, it tells a story, the look in the eye is pure fear. Good work (y)

I like alternative, I do alternative and this one is definitely alternative; you are a tog after my own heart. Excellent.

Back