weekly Blondie606 52 2015...Wk 17 Heat

Think I just slightly prefer 2, with its extra warmth, dont mind the leaf being left in as it harmonises more in this version

Bliss - I know you're into your scramble bikes so I guess this is very much your interpretation of the theme. Cracking focus and I like the shadow. It's a shame about the concrete block as that distracts a little.

Fragile - Super emotive image. I'll go for #1 as it appears a little cleaner and a better WB but there's not too much in it

Cor, Bliss being covered in mud - only in a Spa :D and #1 for me

Fragile, both lovely pics and I like the fact you have left the leaf in. Again #1 for me (y)

Love the soft subtle colours in the rose petals. Really nice work ... Well done.

Hi Lynne... catch up for me, sorry for being behind!

Bliss - well I don't know you that well but I know you well enough to realise this is perfectly on theme for you :) A great take and you're clearly very good at this sort of photography... brill!

Fragile - a lovely shot. Composition* super, lighting spot on and background just right. I like the leaf in the corner as it helps anchor the image to me. The only tiny tweak I'd suggest (hence the *) is based on a book I'm reading on composition and "image making" which suggests for many or even most scenes, the eye prefers the subject on the right third, rather than the left third. Something to do with reading and keeping the attention within the frame rather than offering a lead out away from the picture. So, on that basis, a simple horizontal flip might work well? I've looked at loads of pictures with flipped versions and I think about 90% of the time, I agree with that simple rule of thumb (but not always).

But anyway, it's a cracking shot and really nicely done. Well done!

Hiya, I'm back :)

Loving the pattern triptych, the warped black borders are a nice touch.

Bliss, there's a surprise, moto x from you :whistle: How did you only manage to pick two? I like the first one for the shadow, but I think you should reshoot it with movement in the wheels, shall I leave now :D I prefer the second one, the fact you can see the rider looking in the direction of travel makes it for me. The rooster tail adds movement, great effort, hope he bought a copy.

Fragile, beautiful rose. I like the first shot, much cleaner. However the leaf is a little too dominant, maybe add the processing from the second shot to the first one on just the leaf to tone it down?

A great start though (y)

Good start to your 52 Lynne (y)
#2 gets my vote. As good as #1 is, the second shot just shades it.
I prefer the higher contrast look to it, it is a little more dynamic with, as Andy mentioned the mud shooting from the rear wheel.
Being able to see the riders eye makes it all the more appealing, the viewer can really get a sense of concentration and determination.

Your narrative helps bring the image into theme, as it conveys your feeling of bliss, if standing knee deep in mud and having bikes go screaming past is your idea of bliss:D

Good work missus(y)

Many thanks Iain....given how busy you are with your Strangers project I really do appreciate you taking the time to pop in here & comment :)

#1 for me it looks a cleaner sharper photo, also has more of the leave showing

great idea with the props... B&Q for me in the morning.

Cheers Darren....I put an action on the 2nd one but it didn't work quite as I intended :( & yeah, think the tiles will come in handy for macro stuff without costing the earth :)

Yup, #1 for me. Nice detail and muted colours. I would have had to remove the leaf to simplify the photograph.

I like the textures on the surface as well.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy.....I wasn't sure about the leaf either but thought I'd try it....love those roses so will doubtless get some more....maybe for a reshoot week :)

Ah! They hadn't started with virtual horizons until the D300 was in production, the later D300S has the virtual horizon. Remember your 7000 is a newer design than the D300:), still a great camera love mine.

Fragile.... Sublime shot, damn is that a reason to buy a macro lens;). Love this shot really nice, been jiggling between the two. I think one just has it but there is not much in it. Great pastel colours, nice depth of field, nice sharp focus... Thought you might try the old water droplets game....;)
Lovely shot, nice work....

Like both of these, nice and crisp

Thanks Steve.....done some digging on the www. about the 300....not real biggy as this camera will mainly be for Moto X .Done a few roses with water drops but never gave it a thought with this one :oops: :$

Like both of these, nice and crisp

Thanks perry , appreciate you popping in :)

Just to be a little different, but I prefer the warm tones in number 2 (y)

Glad someone likes the warmer tones...still not quite as envisaged but 1st real time using that action so more practice needed (y)

Another vote for the first one here Lynne, looks very fragile/delicate, like how you have lit it, and some cracking detail captured from your new toy (y)... have fun at the track with it tomorrow, I'm surprised if the horizon thingy can't be switched on somewhere, I'd be lost without mine... also you'll be needing extra CF cards with the increase in FPS :D

Cheers Dean....very pleasantly surprised by the 300 , knocks spots off the 7000 for moto x....sadly no horizon gizmo on it but no biggy :)

Tough call but I'm also going with #2, its just seems that little bit more "dreamy and fragile" ;)
Nice images Lynne :)

Cheers Chris (y)

Hey! Number 2 I think...... Prefer the warmer feel to it. Cracking
idea with the floor samples as backgrounds- might have to steal that one at some point![emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Thanks Ferg....I feel another trip to the DIY store may be called for to get some other samples...bargain at £2 each:D

Well I wouldn't say that getting sprayed with mud is quite my idea of bliss, but two great shots, especially the second one that has some great colours and a great action feel to it. Fragile on the other hand is definitely more to my way of thinking - absolutely beautiful! Prefer the first one with the slightly sharper detail and I have to thank you again for another great idea for backgrounds :clap:

Thanks Elaine...moto x is fab in the winter but I really want the weather to improve....mud does get rather boring after a while :rolleyes: Thanks for the positive feedback on the roses.....you're great at flora shots so praise indeed (y)

Fragile, love it, pastel colours are great. Good job Lynne.

Phil

Many thanks Phil :)

Hi Lynne, first bike shot for me love the shadow on the ground the concrete thing is a little distracting but what can you do at a race track its out of your hands
fragile, after the bike pics it amazes me that you do such wonderful flora pictures, this is no exception, I think I prefer the 1st one beautiful colour and perfect placement in the frame, nothing else to be said
brilliant work as always :clap:

Cheers Allan......I guess moto x & flowers are quite extremes :D

oooh those are stunning Lynne - I prefer the second one, it has a dreamy feel to it.

Great idea about the flooring btw. I don't do much indoor photography and when I do I struggle for backgrounds .. I might just head off to a diy place :)

Cheers Lorraine......can't belive it's taken me 5 years to find those tile samples :rolleyes:

The pattern triptych is excellent, beautiful patterns and the presentation works well. To me it seems a tough right hand side heavy due to the darker areas on the one panel, maybe it Would balance better in the middle... maybe not?

The 2nd MotoX shot gets it for me, it just seems more dynamic, despite being less spectacular. The heavy shadows just add to it, for reasons I can't put my finger on.

Fragile #1 nails it for me, the colours just seem to work better.

Thanks for the catch up Nick , my OCD wouldn't allow me me to move the Ice patterns around :eek: though I am going to have a go...eventually :)

Fragile #2 for me Lynne, I prefer the subtle colours on it! A good spot in B&Q, we also use some samples of their wallpaper for backgrounds!

Praise indeed Sarah....I'm in awe of your stunning floral shots, they are what I aspire to create...still got a way to go to get to your standard (y) Might go get somewall paper samples as well.......

Hi Lynne,

#1 for me because it's "cleaner". It's well framed, well lit, nice & sharp and on theme. You picked a lovely subject. It's a nice study.

Many thanks Ian :)

Fragile - two great images, the first image for me I like the colours better.

Cheers Mandy :)

Your fragile shot really caught my eye and brought me to your thread, I haven't had much time this week to comment so I am catching up on ones that I really like.

The rose is so crisp and really well lit, using floor samples is a great idea for photos, I might have to go and buy some myself, The first rose is the shot for me, the composition is great with the leaf and the faded white surface. Really good work on that one.

As for you bliss I like both shots but for me the first one just pips it, I like how you captured the whole shadow of the rider.

I look forward to seeing more.

Many thanks for the catch up Dan.....I know how you feel regards time & comments....not enough & too many to make ;)

Hi Lynne

Bliss ... #1 for me ... airborne and at an angle where you've captured the complete shadow.

Fragile ... very lovely ... #1 for me

Thanks David (y)

Like you, can't decide which of the two Fragile shots I preferred. I thought both are excellent.

Thanks Alan :)

Nice shots Lynne - no. 1 for me :)

Thanks Michalene :)

Think I just slightly prefer 2, with its extra warmth, dont mind the leaf being left in as it harmonises more in this version

Cheers Hazel.....:)

Bliss - I know you're into your scramble bikes so I guess this is very much your interpretation of the theme. Cracking focus and I like the shadow. It's a shame about the concrete block as that distracts a little.

Fragile - Super emotive image. I'll go for #1 as it appears a little cleaner and a better WB but there's not too much in it

Thanks Peter...I'll have a word with the track owner & see if he'll move the marshall's posts ( concrete blocks) :D.....they bug me as well :banghead:

Cor, Bliss being covered in mud - only in a Spa :D and #1 for me

Fragile, both lovely pics and I like the fact you have left the leaf in. Again #1 for me (y)

Hi Jill...never tried mud in a spa....might have to give it a go :D think that's more votes for the leaf than against...I'm happy with that (y)

Love the soft subtle colours in the rose petals. Really nice work ... Well done.

Thanks Sara :)

Hi Lynne... catch up for me, sorry for being behind!

Bliss - well I don't know you that well but I know you well enough to realise this is perfectly on theme for you :) A great take and you're clearly very good at this sort of photography... brill!

Fragile - a lovely shot. Composition* super, lighting spot on and background just right. I like the leaf in the corner as it helps anchor the image to me. The only tiny tweak I'd suggest (hence the *) is based on a book I'm reading on composition and "image making" which suggests for many or even most scenes, the eye prefers the subject on the right third, rather than the left third. Something to do with reading and keeping the attention within the frame rather than offering a lead out away from the picture. So, on that basis, a simple horizontal flip might work well? I've looked at loads of pictures with flipped versions and I think about 90% of the time, I agree with that simple rule of thumb (but not always).

But anyway, it's a cracking shot and really nicely done. Well done!

Thanks as always for the detailed crit Paul...I might give the flip a try.....but sometimes breaking the rules is fun ;)

Lovely shot Lynne. #1 is my personal preference from the two.

Thanks Paul :)

Hiya, I'm back :)

Loving the pattern triptych, the warped black borders are a nice touch.

Bliss, there's a surprise, moto x from you :whistle: How did you only manage to pick two? I like the first one for the shadow, but I think you should reshoot it with movement in the wheels, shall I leave now :D I prefer the second one, the fact you can see the rider looking in the direction of travel makes it for me. The rooster tail adds movement, great effort, hope he bought a copy.

Fragile, beautiful rose. I like the first shot, much cleaner. However the leaf is a little too dominant, maybe add the processing from the second shot to the first one on just the leaf to tone it down?

A great start though (y)

Hey hun....good to have you back...I'm expecting great things from you this year (y) & as for the wheel....I'll try harder next time :rolleyes: when we et a reshoot week I'll retry the rose using suggestions from the crit this time round....:)

& so to week 3 Scenic

resisting the temptation to find & photograph a Renault :D & with no intentions of going out on sunday I had to find something today.....the weather however had other idea's ! Snow, sleet ,low cloud...not really conducive to landscapes me thinks :oops: :$

So...slightly different landscape....night time at Media City...still scenic I think....maybe....possibly :thinking:

Wk 3 Scenic by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

Looking at it now I'm entirely convinced it's straight..:(

Last edited:
Looking at it now I'm entirely convinced it's straight..:(

Do you mean you think it's not straight? Having never photographed anything like this I have little knowledge or expertise to call on! Except to say all the verticals are nice and straight which as far as I'm aware is the main thing in architectural shots. The fact you have bridges and rivers (canals?) at angles is probably what makes it feel a bit wonky.
But I love the colours and there's just a smidge of detail in the sky to keep it interesting :)

Nice shot Lynne - really sharp (wish I could get mine that sharp!) Like all the curves and lights in the shot.

I like this a lot Lynne, it's a great scene (its certainly scenic) with lots of interest around the frame.

I particularly like the colour tones of the image and as Marsha said you still have detail in the sky.
Good work missus, put your feet up for the rest of the week. :D

That's a very nice shot. The colours are very vibrant.
I'm impressed with the quality of the sky, given that the picture was taken at 5pm.

It needs a barge sinking in the corner though! (only joking).

Hi Lynne, that's a lovely night shot. I like the way you've composed it with the handrail (?) in the lower lhs echoing the bridge (or is the bridge echoing the handrail?)

You must have been just outside my office!! I had thought about doing this for this theme but realised I am not there much this week.

Seen a few shots of it done at night, they like lights on everything around there! Great shot, slightly different angle what the average snapper takes. (y)

In some ways I feel the handrail distracts from the image, in others, enhances it.
TBH I'm not sure :D

Having said that, its a very nice image Lynne.
I love these low light shots and I really should do more. (y)

Hi Lynne, nice shot, great colour in there and I love all the curves around the image,
I think all the curves throw you eye out a bit but the verticals are straight so it must be straight.

Definitely scenic so bang on theme for me (y)

Belting colours in there and wonderful reflections in the water. I think I'd like a little more detail in the sky but at 6 seconds unless you unless you take two exposures and blend it won't happen.

Now, the rail, well, technically, I guess it does take the eye out of the frame and I'd like to see one from further to the left without the rail, but overall I like it. Were you on your own?

Cheers.

Thanks Lynne (y) Scenic and OCD friendly but - I don't know - the rails in the FG don't help the scenic theme.

The illuminated bridge and glowing BG I like.

....night time at Media City...still scenic I think....maybe....possibly :thinking:

Yes, very much scenic and a very nice evening shot, well-exposed.

Scenic - a very pleasing image indeed, I love the nice purples and Blues of the lights, nice crisp clear shot. I do find the rails on the LHS a tiny bit distracting, after studying it for a while it looks straight to me.

Heehee, I briefly considered trawling all the local car parks for a Renault Scenic too :D Some fabulous colours on this, I love the way the purples and green really pop out at you. It's a bit different from the rural landscapes that spring to mind for the theme, but no less scenic for that - a great shot. The only time I've ever been around there at night is when I've gone to gigs at the Lowry and haven't had my camera with me, but after seeing this I may just take it when we go to see Dara O'Briain later this year and try to persuade OH to hang around long enough for me to get a few shots in.

Works for me! Looks straight too looking at the verticals. Regarding the handrail discussion i think without it you would loose something... and its foreground interest.... If for example you took the trouble to clone it out UGH! or re compose you would have that big expanse of water before you hit the keyside... IMHO you would need something in its place, sinking barge, up turned Renault, that sort of thing.:rolleyes:
I like the rail it has a burnished look about it with the light reflecting off the stainless, it could be said technically that its leading you out but to me it adds to the image.
Lighting is really nice, myriad of colours, like the sky has a great feel to it... really love the bridge, and the sexy go faster symmetrical gasometer with the blue lighting on the left:)

Hi Lynne - your scenic shot is a cracker.... Really love the vibrant colours in the dark night, especially the purple glow in the water. I quite like the railings too as they have a nice form of their own and compliments the curve of the bridge[emoji4]

Really like your scenic image Lynne, lots of interest, the colours are great and like that the sky still has colour/detail in it :)

I like it Lynne.

"Scenic" is really up for definition and depends on the viewer. For me, "scenic" vistas don't necessarily have to be fields and mountains. The colours in the shot are really vivid and vibratnt and that sky is awesome. Seems flat at first glance, but with more in depth looking, there's lots of subtle detail. Very well exposed.

I love the city scape, perfect definition of scenic for me! Love the sharpness, and I also agree that the foreground does work on this, in my eyes anyway.

Good strong image. There's just about light in the sky so any later and it wouldn't have been as strong an image. The colours of the lights and particularly reflected in the water are nice. I really must get there one day/evening for a shoot.

Back