weekly Blondie606 52 2015...Wk 17 Heat

Great colours in scenic, the green on the bridge and the purple on the water compliment each other well. Nice composition, and still some colour in the sky.

Your scenic shot is excellent as ever you do take some amazing pictures in that style.

Hiya Lynne... that's a corker and you've brought the colours out fantastically. My only thought is that there's quite a lot for the eyes to take in. From the bottom left, up to the gas tower (?), across the flats, down to the theatre, across the bridge, the glow in the water... it's buzzing!

The bridge on the right feels a bit far away from the rest of the action is probably my only crit but not sure how to manage that other than a different position to shoot from?? Great job though :)

Damn there is some curves in that shot, your confusion in unsurprising, no idea what is meant to be horizontal there, the verticals look good though so :thinking:

Good location for the theme, love the bright colours and the reflections, even the sky has a bit of a trippy glow (y)

Stunning shot. Just enough detail in the sky and the buildings. In fact perfect to my eyes.

Do you mean you think it's not straight? Having never photographed anything like this I have little knowledge or expertise to call on! Except to say all the verticals are nice and straight which as far as I'm aware is the main thing in architectural shots. The fact you have bridges and rivers (canals?) at angles is probably what makes it feel a bit wonky.
But I love the colours and there's just a smidge of detail in the sky to keep it interesting :)

Yeah...not straight was what I meant :rolleyes: I keep looking & change my mind each time !

Nice shot Lynne - really sharp (wish I could get mine that sharp!) Like all the curves and lights in the shot.

Thanks Michalene , I was quite surprised how well this turned out as well :)

I like this a lot Lynne, it's a great scene (its certainly scenic) with lots of interest around the frame.

I particularly like the colour tones of the image and as Marsha said you still have detail in the sky.
Good work missus, put your feet up for the rest of the week. :D

Thanks Iain , appreciate you popping in , it's an area I don;t think I'd ever get bored of shooting as the colors change every few minutes :)

That's a very nice shot. The colours are very vibrant.
I'm impressed with the quality of the sky, given that the picture was taken at 5pm.

It needs a barge sinking in the corner though! (only joking).

Cheers Tim.....much better than I expected given I thought the D7000 had a problem...turns out it was the nut behind the view finder :D

Hi Lynne, that's a lovely night shot. I like the way you've composed it with the handrail (?) in the lower lhs echoing the bridge (or is the bridge echoing the handrail?)

Thanks Lorraine...I like that you've picked up on the handrail & bridge (y) it's a difficult angle to shoot without getting the handrail in unless you're on the other side of the bridge or want a more distant shot...need to try the other side of the bridge next time :)

You must have been just outside my office!! I had thought about doing this for this theme but realised I am not there much this week.

Seen a few shots of it done at night, they like lights on everything around there! Great shot, slightly different angle what the average snapper takes. (y)

Hi Alex....ohhh... We were stood outside BBC studios ....is that your day job ? Love that it's lit up, the owners trying to make it look attractive rather than just functional....they must have thought of photographers when they came up with the idea :)

In some ways I feel the handrail distracts from the image, in others, enhances it.
TBH I'm not sure :D

Having said that, its a very nice image Lynne.
I love these low light shots and I really should do more. (y)

Cheers Chris.....I did some at my last visit without the handrail but then the bridge is so far away so I thought I'd try a slightly different take this time

Hi Lynne, nice shot, great colour in there and I love all the curves around the image,
I think all the curves throw you eye out a bit but the verticals are straight so it must be straight.

Definitely scenic so bang on theme for me (y)

Thanks Allan.....think you're right...all the verticals line up so I'm sticking with...It's straight (y)

Like this one a lot Lynne.

Love the colours.. Looks straight to me.

Cheers Darren...think this was the last shot I got before the rain started....

Belting colours in there and wonderful reflections in the water. I think I'd like a little more detail in the sky but at 6 seconds unless you unless you take two exposures and blend it won't happen.

Now, the rail, well, technically, I guess it does take the eye out of the frame and I'd like to see one from further to the left without the rail, but overall I like it. Were you on your own?

Cheers.

Thanks Andy...met up with Manc Man for this shoot as he's quite local ( I did ask you if you wanted to come ), further to the left would mean standing inside the BBC studio & would show even more of the handrail:eek: Standing more to the right would mean getting really really wet....'cos I'd be in the river :D Going round the corner would probably mean losing the bridge ,but it might be possible standing on the opposite bank which I'll try next visit (y)

Thanks Lynne (y) Scenic and OCD friendly but - I don't know - the rails in the FG don't help the scenic theme.

The illuminated bridge and glowing BG I like.

Thanks David...wasn't sure about the railings either but do like that they kinda mirror the bridge shape . Will try a shot from the opposite bank for my next visit (y)

I think this is a nice scene the colours are pleasing and I can see why you decided to captured it. I feel the railings at the bottom left just spoil it a bit. My eyes keep going back to it, but overall it's on theme and very sharp.

Cheers Stan ,as per above comments re the railings :)

Yes, very much scenic and a very nice evening shot, well-exposed.

Thanks Martin :)

Scenic - a very pleasing image indeed, I love the nice purples and Blues of the lights, nice crisp clear shot. I do find the rails on the LHS a tiny bit distracting, after studying it for a while it looks straight to me.

Thanks Mandy..all those curves n verticals made it tough to decide if it was straight or not but , yup it sure is straight :)

Definitely Scenic and the colours are fab and I don't mind the handrail at all (n)

Thanks Jill....yayyy...someone else doesn't mind the railings :D

Heehee, I briefly considered trawling all the local car parks for a Renault Scenic too :D Some fabulous colours on this, I love the way the purples and green really pop out at you. It's a bit different from the rural landscapes that spring to mind for the theme, but no less scenic for that - a great shot. The only time I've ever been around there at night is when I've gone to gigs at the Lowry and haven't had my camera with me, but after seeing this I may just take it when we go to see Dara O'Briain later this year and try to persuade OH to hang around long enough for me to get a few shots in.

Thanks Elaine ....it's certainly worth a trip with the camera....if the waters flat calm there's some great reflections to be had as well (y)

Works for me! Looks straight too looking at the verticals. Regarding the handrail discussion i think without it you would loose something... and its foreground interest.... If for example you took the trouble to clone it out UGH! or re compose you would have that big expanse of water before you hit the keyside... IMHO you would need something in its place, sinking barge, up turned Renault, that sort of thing.:rolleyes:
I like the rail it has a burnished look about it with the light reflecting off the stainless, it could be said technically that its leading you out but to me it adds to the image.
Lighting is really nice, myriad of colours, like the sky has a great feel to it... really love the bridge, and the sexy go faster symmetrical gasometer with the blue lighting on the left:)

Lol...sexy go faster gasometer....like it :LOL: & I agree with your comments re the handrails....unfortunately I couldn't find a Scenic to add foreground interest so the railings had to suffice :D

Nice shot Lynne. The different colours make a nice atmospheric pic.

Cheers Russell :)

Hi Lynne - your scenic shot is a cracker.... Really love the vibrant colours in the dark night, especially the purple glow in the water. I quite like the railings too as they have a nice form of their own and compliments the curve of the bridge[emoji4]

Many thanks Ferg ...& another yes for the railings (y)

Really like your scenic image Lynne, lots of interest, the colours are great and like that the sky still has colour/detail in it :)

Cheers Tracy...I had a couple of shots from a little earlier but the interesting sky was in the opposite direction :( Always time to go back though, maybe for a reshoot :)

I like it Lynne.

"Scenic" is really up for definition and depends on the viewer. For me, "scenic" vistas don't necessarily have to be fields and mountains. The colours in the shot are really vivid and vibratnt and that sky is awesome. Seems flat at first glance, but with more in depth looking, there's lots of subtle detail. Very well exposed.

Thanks Ian ,appreciate your thoughts, the colors really are very vibrant there, well worth a visit if you're over that way (y)

I spent some time last night looking at your photograph again and I concluded the above as well.

Cheers.

Awww...cheers matey :)

Scenic - now that I like !!!!! Very nice and sharp

cheers :)

I love the city scape, perfect definition of scenic for me! Love the sharpness, and I also agree that the foreground does work on this, in my eyes anyway.

Thanks Ashburner....think the railings are winning (y)

Good strong image. There's just about light in the sky so any later and it wouldn't have been as strong an image. The colours of the lights and particularly reflected in the water are nice. I really must get there one day/evening for a shoot.

Thanks Peter...there was a lovely sky....sadly in the opposite direction to the buildings :( Well worth a visit...perhaps we should try n organise a little meet over there ?

Great colours in scenic, the green on the bridge and the purple on the water compliment each other well. Nice composition, and still some colour in the sky.

Thanks Nick :)

Your scenic shot is excellent as ever you do take some amazing pictures in that style.

Cheers Simon...I'd like to do more of these but there's nowhere local so it's a special trip :(

Hiya Lynne... that's a corker and you've brought the colours out fantastically. My only thought is that there's quite a lot for the eyes to take in. From the bottom left, up to the gas tower (?), across the flats, down to the theatre, across the bridge, the glow in the water... it's buzzing!

The bridge on the right feels a bit far away from the rest of the action is probably my only crit but not sure how to manage that other than a different position to shoot from?? Great job though :)

Hi Paul....oh yes, it's a busy little scene for sure..... next visit I'll try shooting from the opposite bank & see how that works (y)

Damn there is some curves in that shot, your confusion in unsurprising, no idea what is meant to be horizontal there, the verticals look good though so :thinking:

Good location for the theme, love the bright colours and the reflections, even the sky has a bit of a trippy glow (y)

Cheers Dean (y)

Stunning shot. Just enough detail in the sky and the buildings. In fact perfect to my eyes.

Thanks Mandy :)

So week 4 & my initial idea went out the window when I realised I'd have no time to do an indoors shot over the weekend !

Had a wander along Blackpool beach Sunday morning looking for a suitable shot & came home with several but opted for this one....went a little ott on the pp I think & added a frame which I rarely do....

Wk 4 Companions by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

Having spent an age fiddling with this I'm now out of time to do any commenting but will catch up with your threads by friday evening - got a works conference tomorrow evening so it'll be thursday b4 I start . Thanks to all for your support thus far...i will be returning the favour this week (y)

Definitely better full-size. Gritty, sharp and atmospheric.

Yes the figures in step is nice and his hood blown up gives a good impression of the blustery weather, like the foreground space there walking into, nice texture. I think the PP is fine, touch of vignette finishes it off.
Works well for me.
Good work

Companions, its all been said, Lynne, so I'll just say I love it (y)

:agree: ...

This is the kind of shot I had planned for the theme ... but in the street or park ... it proved more difficult than I though.

This picture says a lot ... the companionable couple battling the elements together.

Lovely photo Lynne and I like your processing, its not OTT - using a vignette and adding the border really add to it! It looks like a typical winters day in Blackpool. It brought back memories of the many times I pushed a pram along there (fighting against the wind) when we lived in Blackpool!:)

Companions - I can't add anything to what's already been said Lynne- that's a cracking shot, and well done you for braving the elements

:clap:

Sorry for the late post - just playing catch up (again!!)...
Scenic: Lovely photo. Super sharp and some great colours in there (y)
Companions: Great match to the theme. Looks like a harsh and cold day. Only two true companions would be out that day! Nice composition and processing.:)

Lynne any chance you can take a rubbish picture so I can try and find something negative to say (In a positive way obviously) (y)

Hi Lynne [emoji4]
Another great shot on the companions theme - looks cold and miserable but makes you warm with the romance in it..... I can picture them getting in from their walk and defrosting together on the sofa with massive mugs of tea!

Companions - I love your choice of framing for this image, to me I feel the pp work is spot on. Looks perfect to me when viewd full size on flickr, keep up the good work.

Cheers Mandy :)

Great shot Lynne, I'm feeling cold looking at it. Overall a good conversion with well place subjects (y)

Thanks Chris :)

I actually like the pp. It suits the mood of the image; windy, rough sea and looks like a storm is brewing. Nice composition too.

Cheers Stan....it was a bit blowy but quite pleasant in reality....pp is a wonderous thing :rolleyes:

I like how the are in step :)

Border works for me as does the processing.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy :)

Definitely better full-size. Gritty, sharp and atmospheric.

Thanks Martin :)

Yes the figures in step is nice and his hood blown up gives a good impression of the blustery weather, like the foreground space there walking into, nice texture. I think the PP is fine, touch of vignette finishes it off.
Works well for me.
Good work

Cheers Steve.....ran this through Nikfx...... I've got all these editing programmes & I will use them :D

Companions, its all been said, Lynne, so I'll just say I love it (y)

Thanks Chris :)

Great companions image Lynne, roll on Summer.........

Phil

Too right.......(y)

It's all been said Lynne. Lovely treatment and fits the theme perfectly.

Thanks David :)
:agree: ...

This is the kind of shot I had planned for the theme ... but in the street or park ... it proved more difficult than I though.

This picture says a lot ... the companionable couple battling the elements together.

Cheers David...I liked that they are holding hands as well :)

Companions

Nice shot Lynne. Good comp and a real winter feel about it - when only good companions would walk out
Like the PP - suits the scene - altho knowing that spot on a winter's day it is almost mono any way :)

Realised on the way home that we should have called you......I'll remember next time ;)

Hardcore Companions.

Nice shot Lynne... you can feel how cold it is.
I like your crop, giving the couple space to walk in to.

Thanks Darren :)

Lovely photo Lynne and I like your processing, its not OTT - using a vignette and adding the border really add to it! It looks like a typical winters day in Blackpool. It brought back memories of the many times I pushed a pram along there (fighting against the wind) when we lived in Blackpool!:)

Cheers Sarah....was surprised how many people were about to be honest I did take a few liberties with the pp...it was a quite a pleasant day in reality...not blue sky n shine but quite pleasant :)

Companions - I can't add anything to what's already been said Lynne- that's a cracking shot, and well done you for braving the elements

:clap:

Thanks Lorraine :)

Sorry for the late post - just playing catch up (again!!)...
Scenic: Lovely photo. Super sharp and some great colours in there (y)
Companions: Great match to the theme. Looks like a harsh and cold day. Only two true companions would be out that day! Nice composition and processing.:)

Cheers Lee.....:)

Yeah I like that lynne, shame the sky wasn't a bit more stormy, but you have done great with what you had, Liking the straight lines of the horizon and railings beginning to converge as they shoot across the image, a lovely clutter free shot - Very Nice (y)

Thanks Dean....had to do some major cloning on those railings.....there was another set just below that kinda spoiled the clean lines :eek:

Lynne any chance you can take a rubbish picture so I can try and find something negative to say (In a positive way obviously) (y)

Your wish is my command....see the next post :D

Hi Lynne [emoji4]
Another great shot on the companions theme - looks cold and miserable but makes you warm with the romance in it..... I can picture them getting in from their walk and defrosting together on the sofa with massive mugs of tea!

That's a lovely thought Ferg......cuddles on the sofa with tea after a bracing walk (y)

& so to week 5....

as someone who spends most of their time either in works uniform or in scruffs trackside at the moto x , Elegant is not something I feel comfortable with....add to that I ran out of time & light & it's a PABD week for me...

Wk 5 Elegant by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

My crit :

Had a bit of an issue getting the chain to stay put ( thank god for blue tac ! )
the box irritates me as the rhs ( as you look at it) has warped slightly hence the black line , spent an age trying to get the box to stand on it's point
trying to get the dangley bit to lie flat.......:eek:
Wanted to avoid a plain white bg so used a sheet of silver paper which is the same color as the box...didn't work to well mainly due to lack of light....looks a little speckled & slightly uneven.........
The stones are black
The chain has a few blown area's
other than those issues I'm quite pleased with it for a rush job :D

Feel free to add anything I've missed (y)

OMG what did you get me into;) Bu66er another theme out an haven't had time to shoot companions yet!
Didn't want to use archive shots so I'm going to try and get something done today ..... If I get time:(

I quite like this, I gonna ask, although I know there'll be a logical reason, why didn't you tuen the box round? I'm guessing makers logo? It would have cured your gap in the box. I bet you tried blue tac on that too? Like the lighting, and that shadow at the base, IMHO you need a bit of shadow for reality sake. I tried taking shots like this before and it's a lot harder than you think to get perfection, so I think you did a good job the chain at the top left is a little blown but I think that's nut picking and just a little fannying around with lighting would sort that out.
Nice job and I know what it's like to be rushed ;)..... Give a busy person a job and all that!

Cheers Steve

Nice job for a rush and bang on theme (y)
Nice image and lighting for me - I think your crit is a touch harsh. One thing for me is the chain looks a tad awkward as it goes around the back of the box. Maybe a lower view point would have improved that and got around the issue with the rhs of the box too.

I hadn't noticed the box not fitting together completely until you mentioned it, the necklace itself drawing yout focus to it hides any imperfections (IMO).
I expect you could clone / colour replace the black line in PS if it bothers you though.
Very nice and bang on theme :)

Bang on theme for me Lynne.

I understand what your saying about the box lid, but i feel that could be a quick fix in PP.
I Like the lighting, the shadow at the bottom adds depth to the image
My only crit would be the crop, i would have liked to see the whole box, the diamond shape of the box showing off the diamonds. I gather that where you have something supporting the box?

I'll be honest Lynne, although it fits the theme,
it just doesn't feel quite right to me, I'm not sure what it is TBH, but
it's not your finest hour, sorry ;)

Back