weekly Blondie606's 52 in 2014 Wk 52 Support-THE END :-)

Really hard to choose between the two 'close' shots but I think #2 just has the edge with the greater detail in the moss.
Both great shots though!

Two very nice images spot on for the theme I love the second image nice use of dof and pof.

Thanks Mandy :)

Close... I like #2 the little bit of colour amongst the grey (y)

Yup , I liked the contrast of color as well ....:)

Hi Lynne, two nice pics, not sure which one I prefer love the colour in both of them, great composition too
can't fault either:clap:

Many thanks Alan.....:)

:notworthy:
Two great images Lynne (y) If I had to choose, it would be the first, the contrasting colours between the rock and .....errrr.....the rock :D is very appealing to me :)

it's a pebble.....:D

I'm having to go with the first - the contrast between te round red pebble, and the lines of the slate make it, also the DOF is appealing as it includes all the subject, but seperates it from the BG

in the second the subject isn't all there, and the BG distracts. Lovely green though.

Hmmmmm...are you meaning the DOF in #2 ?cos the greenery was all there , just had to shot at an angle to show it close to the edge ... & yes , I'm still in 2 minds about the BG :thinking:

A super couple of images. You might have being getting dripped on for #1 but this wouldn't have had the same impact if the rocks had been dry. #2's DoF is just right. anything more would distract. Well worth the trip just for these two. You've made me very jealous. Iceland is definitely somewhere I'd love to go and in fact my sister is there as I type.

Thanks Peter.....it was the wetness that attracted me along wioth the texture in the rocks....I'm working on a plan to go back to Iceland if you & Sarah fancy a trip , probably next year ?

Love the first one, second is great too, but my eye gets drawn the black bits :)

Cheers Andy....the more I look at #2 the more I'm inclined to agree about the BG.......

Two very nice macro shots there :) the focus on the stacked rocks is lovely, but I do like the moss too, it would be hard to choose a favourite.

Cheers Susie :)

I once read a book Blink and one thing I took from it was that I often judge something very quickly and give it a yay or nay.

These are yays. Crackers, really. #2 is nice but #1 is a cracker. Very stark photograph. The isolated pebble is wonderful, as is the colour.

Focus stacking :)...would have ruined these (y)

NB, if I were to crit, they look a tad blue. Not sure if B&W would work...maybe not as I like the colour in the pebble.

Cheers

Thanks the Lord for that...I did think about focus stacking...for about 5 sec's :)

OMG how have I missed you :oops: :$:facepalm:

Odd, how very clever. Now what is it and how did you do it? I would say that a little more of the texture grain top right needs to be seen added, it's quite smooth compared to the other side!

Line, love the contrast and the lead in lines. The track curling off on the background makes you want to look around the corner. My only crit is your PP, have you been using the clone tool? There looks a good chunk of repeating patterns from just above the sign post on the left.

Play, it's a little too grey for me, maybe push the whites a bit? Being really [icky I'd like to see all of the word play in focus!

Close 1, love that little pebble and the narrow DOF. Is this a bit of SC?
Close 2, this is the shot for me, it has more interest and the green tones from the plant into the background really work (y)

Glad to see you back in for another year, I've just been looking at some of your landscape shots on Flickr, amazing :notworthy:

S'ok Marsha...I'm easy to miss :D
Thanks for the mega catch up....gonna recheck my Line shot , clone toll was used but diodn't realise I'd messed around that much :thinking:

No SC in the Close shot...the rocks & pebble really were those colors

& thanks for the comment about my landscape images...I also have sharpness issues but starting to wonder if I'm just being to critical of my shots :thinking:

Saturdays just wouldn't be the same would they........

What... no time for faffing, shame on you :D

Even without the faffing you have come up with a couple of great shots, the plant shot is nice, I like the colour but after seeing the first image I would have liked to see the greenery a tad deeper depth.

The stone/rock shot is spot on, just the right DoF for the subject, but loving the textures on both :clap:
[/quote]

Cheers Dean , I do enjoy Macro stuff....frustrating though it can be ;)

I really like both of these - nice fine art shots. The textures in them are beautiful.

Ohhh...fine art shots ? thank you Kindly :love:
I really like the little red stone one Lynne... great use of SC...

Thanks Colin but no SC , the rock & pebbles were really those colors ....:)

Hi Lynne
2 excellent conceptions , both very good. #1 quite abstract and #2 has lovely splash of colour. I don't know whether #1 could be boosted in some way as the red is quite subtle - but perhaps it was anyway :thinking:. Also, I might consider a bit of a crop on top of #1 and LHS of #2, so that the oof b/g doesn't overwhelm the shot. Merely thoughts. Good detail in both and a productive trip - why do you like theses cold places????

Cheers lan.....after 3 years you'd think I'd have gort the hang of crops :oops: :$ Cold places...moi ?? :D Simply stunning they are & I need to learn to shoot them properly.....

I like both of them Lynne, difficult to choose between them, as they both have the same feel to them.
Creative use of dof to isolate your subject, lovely colour tones too. Most importantly (for me), pebbles, how can anyone not like a photograph if it's got pebbles in it? :D

Seriously though Lynne, as Sarah said above, fine art shots, I could easily see these printed large and hung on the wall. Good work missus ;)

Awwww...thanks Iain......though the pebble might appeal...still not a patch on yours though :notworthy:

Lovely colours and texture in the first shot, I really like it.
The second is good too but the DOF is a bit too shallow for me.

May just need to revisit Iceland & try that shot again :LOL:

I prefer the greenery one, maybe it's the position or the colour it just looks better to me although they are both good shots (y)

Cheers Mark :)

^^ This. If all of the greenery had been in focus then it would have been hard for me to choose between these shots.

Thanks Alet :)

#1 for me nice DoF

Cheers Michael :)

Those close images are really good. The texture that comes out is spot on and just the right amount of colour too.

Thanks Simon :)

It's #1 for me. I love the texture on the slate and red pebble which is enhanced by the the fact they're wet and the contrast between the red and the slatey colour. On #2, the fall off of focus on the back of the moss slightly detracts from it for me.

Thanks M...think I may get the pebble one printed ,seems to be a universal like (y)

I like the first one Lynne, the two rock colours compliment each other perfectly and theres some nice lines in the grey rock leading you through the frame. it also looks great wet so well worth getting rained on! :)

Cheers Adam....was worth it for sure :)

Definitely the first one for me, Lynne. Gorgeous contrast between the two elements and the slick, wet texture of the rock is lovely.

Thanks Tony.....(y)

Hi Lynne.

No 1 for me....Simply perfect. The clarity, textures and composition are great. Kind of abstract feel too it which works well with the colours. If I had to be super super super fussy, I'd perhaps contemplate cloning out the dark spot on top left and right corners?

Another strong week for you! (y)

well spotted Jason....will try that before I print it (y)

Both images look great No1 just edges it for me the colour of the pebble on the larger rocks works so well

Craig

Thanks Craig :)

Really hard to choose between the two 'close' shots but I think #2 just has the edge with the greater detail in the moss.
Both great shots though!

yayyy...another vote for the moss......(y)

Close - I like both images, nice tones and I like the DoF. I probably prefer No.1 the best - I like the details in the grey rock and also just the overall tones. Nice work (y)

back in a bit !

Back again :rolleyes:

Right....been playing , Woody to the rescue , 1st idea was pants ( this may not be much better ! ). Really don't understand layers so struggled somewhat , using my version obviously isn't the way forward but I don't have much patience for all the fiddling :(

Trapped in his own bubble......

Wk 4 Bubble jpeg
by llj666, on Flickr

Not 100% happy with the placement of his hands , had to dodge the very outer edge of the bubble as couldn't get it lit right so no his hands aren't where they should be ( Andy...where are you :D )

I may try another edit :exit:

Last edited:
Apart from the few PP niggles I like it. Nice and clean, good reflection and cracking take on the theme.

Cheers and you're getting good at this PP malarkey (y)

The hands aren't right, as you pointed out, but other than that it's a very good image and well lit (y)

Apart from the few PP niggles I like it. Nice and clean, good reflection and cracking take on the theme.

Cheers and you're getting good at this PP malarkey (y)
Cheers Andy...long way to go before I'm even half way good but thanks anyway :)

I can't find fault with the photograph great idea, well done :)

Ya not looking hard enough :D

The hands aren't right, as you pointed out, but other than that it's a very good image and well lit (y)

Yeah...been bugging me so I've done an edit & posted below .....

Cracking work there, how on earth did you achieve this. I think it's absolutely fantastic :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Cheers....lot's of faffing ,pressing the undo button & cursing...... ;)

Very, very nice indeed, and a great idea...I love it :)

Thanks hun:)

Great idea. I quite like the hands, to me he is just about to pat the top left of the bubble to get it spherical, he hasn't got around to the LH side yet which is why it looks a bit flat :)
Its well shot, well lit and put together well. I like it as it is!

Great idea. I quite like the hands, to me he is just about to pat the top left of the bubble to get it spherical, he hasn't got around to the LH side yet which is why it looks a bit flat :)
Its well shot, well lit and put together well. I like it as it is!

:LOL:...now why didn't I think of that......I looked at it as if he was trying to escape ( lack of air I suspect !) but I like your thoughts far more (y)

Cracking work there, how on earth did you achieve this. I think it's absolutely fantastic :clap::clap::clap::clap:

The reality.....bought some magic bubble stuff , darn sticky but the bubbles hold their shape when they land ,took a shot of a single bubble ( large piece of black card & black reflector to shield the worst of the reflections ) , took a shot of Woody in vaguely the right position. Twiddled a little in ps to get the bg really black in the bubble, used the eraser tool to remove stray reflections in it , dodged the very outer edge on bubble & turned it b&w . Copied & pasted the shot of Woody in to the bubble then used the Free transform , skew & distort tools to get him to fit ( did a lot of fiddling with this part ).Cropped square & hey presto...vaguely like the image I had in my mind

HTH :)

The reality.....bought some magic bubble stuff , darn sticky but the bubbles hold their shape when they land ,took a shot of a single bubble ( large piece of black card & black reflector to shield the worst of the reflections ) , took a shot of Woody in vaguely the right position. Twiddled a little in ps to get the bg really black in the bubble, used the eraser tool to remove stray reflections in it , dodged the very outer edge on bubble & turned it b&w . Copied & pasted the shot of Woody in to the bubble then used the Free transform , skew & distort tools to get him to fit ( did a lot of fiddling with this part ).Cropped square & hey presto...vaguely like the image I had in my mind

HTH :)

That does help indeed thank you for telling me, as my PP skills and knowledge is not the best.

Hi Lynne thats really good and a nice take on the theme, i think you have done an excellent job with the PP
nice clear bubble too :clap:

Nice take on the theme. Really tough to get the hands right as I think you need to rotate the models left hand, but it works really well.

Excellent image again Lynne (y) your PP skills are way beyond mine :p I wouldn't know where to start with layers :confused:

Lynne... cracking image well done... Cant really find any fault with it at all...

I had thought of this too but as said in another thread I couldnt get any willing models to pose for me at home :)
Also I was not aware that we could use photoshop or similar for our images... must keep that in mind in future ;)

Nice work Lynne - not seen the various stages of the PP process, but the final one looks pretty convincing to me.

One thing I will say about the erase tool, once its erased, its gone forever. A layer mask, anything can be changed, or retrieved.

edit -
Hmmmmm...are you meaning the DOF in #2 ?cos the greenery was all there , just had to shot at an angle to show it close to the edge ... & yes , I'm still in 2 minds about the BG :thinking:

Yep - the greenery is all in the shot, but the rear half of it is out of the focal area is what I referred to. (y)

Last edited:
Ah the second person in a bubble shot I've seen of only two bubble shots looked at, but oh so very different! Like Andy says, apart from a few PP issues It's really very good. You are getting good at PP, but don't you find you spend hours sat in front of just one photo now?

Bubble: Nice idea there Lynne! The execution is really good. For me you've positioned him perfectly within the bubble.

I prefer the first version and the woody with the 'colder' tones.

Good work yet again (y)

Back