weekly Blondie606's 52 in 2014 Wk 52 Support-THE END :-)

feeling your pain
:) its a real struggle this smoke lark

Thanks Craig....but I finally managed it :) but now my flash won't work at all......

Ok

a cheeky late submission for week 5 having finally managed , for a very short time , to get my flash to work in commander moe ( it's now not working at all though !)

My 2 attempts...nothing special & dubious focus but soooo much better than last weeks attempts....

Wk 5 Smoke jpeg
by llj666, on Flickr

Wk 5 Smoke a jpeg
by llj666, on Flickr

& before anyone suggests I use the theme for a reshoot week..... :punch:

Apart from the flash problem it seem's the smoke was too weak to see properley...ended up using a cigarette....much more smoke :)

& so to week 6 Mineral

Managed to use the ocf in commander mode for a very short space of time ( it's now not doing anything at all other than flashing red lights at me !)

So , after a quick google I saw an image that appealed & set about shooting my version.....I will confess I had to give in with the water & borrowed a free image from the web ( I know I know but gimme a break ! ) I did however shoot the bottle ,the pineapple ,created the bg & blended them all together , albeit a little suspect in places.....still can't get to grips with layers !

Wk 6 Mineral jpeg
by llj666, on Flickr

Well done on persevering Lynne, all credit to you (y)
I like them both equally, each colour works well against its respective background. Good work and a great result getting your flash to work in commander mode, albeit temporarily :D

Well done on persevering Lynne, all credit to you (y)
I like them both equally, each colour works well against its respective background. Good work and a great result getting your flash to work in commander mode, albeit temporarily :D

Thanks Iain......I'm not sure what's gone wrong with the flash unit though ? I will bring it to Norfolk & harass you kind folk in to showing me what I've done to make it go wrong :rolleyes:

Hi again Lynne, I posted the above whilst you were posting for mineral :D
Mineral, on theme with the water, nice vivid colours too but I am not too sure about it overall, sorry.
The bottle seems a little lost in the frame, mmm not sure, I will go away and come back to it, apologies I can't quite put my finger on it :thinking:

Great shapes in the red smoke, its difficult to distinguish the pineapple in mineral IMO, however I like the concept and thoughts behind the image.

Hi again Lynne, I posted the above whilst you were posting for mineral :D
Mineral, on theme with the water, nice vivid colours too but I am not too sure about it overall, sorry.
The bottle seems a little lost in the frame, mmm not sure, I will go away and come back to it, apologies I can't quite put my finger on it :thinking:

No worries Iain , it's not quite as I imagined it , don't think pineapple was the right fruit....just doing an edit on your comments re the bottle :)
Good work on smoke, nice to see you persevered. The purple on looks almost angelic, there is almost a face in the middle with arms raised above her head.

Cheers Dan.... I was hoping someone else would see that (y)

Great shapes in the red smoke, its difficult to distinguish the pineapple in mineral IMO, however I like the concept and thoughts behind the image.

Yeah...pineapple is not the right fruit but I didn't want to do a straight copy of the image I saw ....maybe I should have:oops: :$

the first pineapple drinks pic with the bubbles and colour change as intriguing as is beautiful.

Smoke - I don't know what all the fuss was about ;) Those are a couple of cracking smoke shots. I especially like #2. The velvety red really suits the black background.

Mineral - I think I'm in the same camp as Iain on this one. I feel the bottom of the bottle is fading into the background a little. Keep going with the layers though. I don't know were I'd be without them.

Smoke - Kudos for not giving up. :) The red smoke for me, because of the colour and comp. When viewed on black, there's a bit of red spilling onto the background.

Mineral - I prefer the edit too, though the subject unfortunately doesn't do much for me. For what it's worth, I admit to not liking this week's theme one bit...

YAY !!!! Look at you with a couple of cracking smoke images :clap:

Of the two I much prefer the second shot, it looks very 'fiery' and chinese dragon sort of feel, super detail and lighting too (y)

The first one.... well, as soon as I first looked at this, what I could see was Fallopian Tubes, Cervix and other bits, and now can't think of anything else when I look back at it :thinking:

Last edited:
Red smoke looks great to me. Mineral is great product shot but I feel the yellow background is a bit distracting.

Well done on persevering with the smoke images, two cracking shots but the second one has the edge for me I love the red.

Mineral again two stunning images and fitting for the theme I have to pick the second image.

Smoke, I knew you were just kidding us on :p

Well done Lynne :clap: both look very good (y) think the purple one just takes it for me :)

Mineral, I prefer the edit, more emphasise on the bottle (y). It seems to balance the image better to me :)

Well done with the layers, don't think I'm ever going to get round to looking on youtube for some lessons

Smoke was a tough week hey! You managed to get a couple of cracking images out of it, both look great but I prefer the red one myself.

Mineral looks very pleasing, I like the colours! Little bit of fading at the bottom of the bottle but not too much to worry about.

Great effort Lynne, I'm struggling to find inspiration for this week's!

Hi Lynne, well done for getting the smoke pics :clap: I knew you would give it another go
Mineral i am not sure about not sure why all the elements are pleasing enough but for me its not working
I think its the composition :thinking:

Smoke. You did it. Wasn't that hard was it :)

Mineral, hmmm, I like the idea but it's a little bright/over powering for me. I like the flow of the water and nice detail. Maybe if the water was flowing into the pineapple.

Cheers.

Hi Lynne, I think your joker shot is stunning, but glad to see you actually got to grips with shooting smoke! I bought an incense holder in 2012, never taken it out of the packet yet!! I love the second one, I could see a series of them framed in a spa or something!
What is command mode on your flash?

Mineral, not too sure on that. Overall I think it's skilful PP and good work for an advert style shot, I just don't get the pineapple/ water bit, I think I'd rather see half a pineapple chopped up.

As for layers, what don't you get about them?

well done on perservering with the smoke images, great starting points for making some smoke art from.

mineral, another b**ger of a theme, I'm struggling to get excited by this tbh, seems like theres some of the pinapple missing too, and the sides of the bottle look to have blown out a bit?

Sorry if that's harsh and also not very constructive.... feel free to rip into mine this week in reply. :)

I'm not sure about mineral, all the different elements seem unconnected somehow? Nice colours and light though.

Hi Lynn...As mentioned before....the colour scheme is spot on...I like the second edit where the bottle is more prominet...Just not sure about the pineapple though, maybe that the perspective is wrong?

Hi Lynne

Mineral - mixed comments which I can understand. I like the idea but there is something about it that does not work. I prefer #1 for the fact that the story is about the pineapple supplying the flavour to the water - in #2 the pineapple seems too small. Probably a combination of them both as the bottle is too small in #1. I like the idea of the bright sunny colour but maybe just a bit too bright.:thinking:

the first pineapple drinks pic with the bubbles and colour change as intriguing as is beautiful.

Thanks David....need to work on the idea more , not quite as I imagined it but hey , was worth a try :)

Smoke - I don't know what all the fuss was about ;) Those are a couple of cracking smoke shots. I especially like #2. The velvety red really suits the black background.

Mineral - I think I'm in the same camp as Iain on this one. I feel the bottom of the bottle is fading into the background a little. Keep going with the layers though. I don't know were I'd be without them.

Cheers Peter.....Smoke....never again I tell you , never ! As for layers....very confusing :thinking:

Love the red smoke (y)

I prefer the edit of mineral, good product shot.

Cheers Mark :)
Smoke - Kudos for not giving up. :) The red smoke for me, because of the colour and comp. When viewed on black, there's a bit of red spilling onto the background.

Mineral - I prefer the edit too, though the subject unfortunately doesn't do much for me. For what it's worth, I admit to not liking this week's theme one bit...

Thanks Nathalie.....I was just glad to get some smoke , yup there's some spill there but no way I am I going to reshoot , I've got enough grey hairs already :eek:

Smoke . well done you threw the flag in far to early good to see you came back to beat it

and quite like both mineral shots :)

Cheers Craig... I do hate being defeated...but never again :D

YAY !!!! Look at you with a couple of cracking smoke images :clap:

Of the two I much prefer the second shot, it looks very 'fiery' and chinese dragon sort of feel, super detail and lighting too (y)

The first one.... well, as soon as I first looked at this, what I could see was Fallopian Tubes, Cervix and other bits, and now can't think of anything else when I look back at it :thinking:

OMG...I prefer the thought of it being a ghostly person with arms outstretched....but unfortunately all I can now is what you've said :runaway:
Mineral - Blimey lots of effort there, nice bright well detailed image, not sure what google image you were interpreting but you have got a good image together, although I'm a tad confused with the idea :)

Google water melon mineral water ......the original idea is wayyy better then my attempt mainly cos the subject matter was more fitting to the image but it was worth a try... the idea was..... Mineral water with a hint of pineapple in it ....never mind...a fail it is :confused:
Red smoke looks great to me. Mineral is great product shot but I feel the yellow background is a bit distracting.
Cheers Richard.......I quite like the background..it's the rest of the image I'm not keen on :D

Well done on persevering with the smoke images, two cracking shots but the second one has the edge for me I love the red.

Mineral again two stunning images and fitting for the theme I have to pick the second image.

Cheers Mandy :)

OMG...I prefer the thought of it being a ghostly person with arms outstretched....but unfortunately all I can now is what you've said :runaway:
Oppppsie :D

Google water melon mineral water ......the original idea is wayyy better then my attempt mainly cos the subject matter was more fitting to the image but it was worth a try... the idea was..... Mineral water with a hint of pineapple in it ....never mind...a fail it is :confused:
Ahhhhhhhhh I see !!!!! that's not bad then, sorry I see where you are coming from now :)

Google water melon mineral water

Ah-haaaa, I get it now...... my previous comments still stand, but I now see why the pinepple is missing, and also the position / scale of the bottle.

Seeing what you were aiming for, the PP'ing is top notch.

Yay for some smoke shots :D Now you've done it you don't ever have to do it again :D

Not sure at all about the Mineral shot - I'm confused by the pineapple bit - this is not difficult though and I am a good half way down glass of wine #2 :O

Smoke, I knew you were just kidding us on :p

Well done Lynne :clap: both look very good (y) think the purple one just takes it for me :)

Mineral, I prefer the edit, more emphasise on the bottle (y). It seems to balance the image better to me :)

Well done with the layers, don't think I'm ever going to get round to looking on youtube for some lessons

Chhers Phil....I still struggle with layers after watching utube vid's....just doesn't make sense to me :thinking:

Smoke was a tough week hey! You managed to get a couple of cracking images out of it, both look great but I prefer the red one myself.

Mineral looks very pleasing, I like the colours! Little bit of fading at the bottom of the bottle but not too much to worry about.

Great effort Lynne, I'm struggling to find inspiration for this week's!

Thanks Simon...think mineral would have worked better if I'd tried a virtual straight copy...pineapple is not the right fruit :(

Well done getting the smoke image (y)(y)

I like your edited mineral, mainly for the extra bit of colour (y)(y)

Cheers Judi :)

Congrats on the smoke image (y)

The second mineral shot gets my vote :)
Thanks & thanks Andy :)

Hi Lynne...well...those smoke shots look great to me....well done for doing them :)
Lovely shading on the bottle/water pic....perfect colours and a really original idea.

Thanks Susie....:)

Hi Lynne, well done for getting the smoke pics :clap: I knew you would give it another go
Mineral i am not sure about not sure why all the elements are pleasing enough but for me its not working
I think its the composition :thinking:

Yup , I know exactly where you're coming from..... :(

Smoke. You did it. Wasn't that hard was it :)

Mineral, hmmm, I like the idea but it's a little bright/over powering for me. I like the flow of the water and nice detail. Maybe if the water was flowing into the pineapple.

Cheers.

Cheers matey...Smoke :mad: , the idea was there for Mineral but needs more work...the upside of which is I get to eat more pineapple :D

Hi Lynne, I think your joker shot is stunning, but glad to see you actually got to grips with shooting smoke! I bought an incense holder in 2012, never taken it out of the packet yet!! I love the second one, I could see a series of them framed in a spa or something!
What is command mode on your flash?

Mineral, not too sure on that. Overall I think it's skilful PP and good work for an advert style shot, I just don't get the pineapple/ water bit, I think I'd rather see half a pineapple chopped up.

As for layers, what don't you get about them?

Cheers Marsha...too kind about the smoke though.....as for layers...i don't get the whole thing....which to use - via copy , from background , new , adjustment ????? how to put them altogether ? I can follow a tutorial using their set of images ie from a mag but can't translate that to using my own images....being blonde doesn't help :D

Command mode seems to operate the flash gun when not attached to the camera...but after 1/2 an hour it stops working !

Back