weekly Delta Skies 2014 TP52 - Week 51 Extravagant & Week 52 Support (that's 2014 done)

Nice food/restaurant type shot.

Maybe loose the bottle and glass, I don't mind the fork as I think it adds to it.
Thanks Mark.

Hi Peter

Positive, nice composition/ DOF and I like the reflections all round the main battery. Always a nightmare trying to avoid the obvious but this would make a great product shot.

Time, lovely bright colours and detail in the threads. I particularly like the background as well. Yes there’s a needle and thread but no actual ‘stitches’ for a stitch in time, maybe a bit of ‘work in progress’ would help tie it to the theme?

Oh and I had to take a peak at your kites, I’m loving Desmond the dinosaur!

Swirl, beautiful colour rose and the DOF is lovely. I think the petals on the far RHS are a little distracting, I would possibly go for a square crop and concentrate on the centre on the rose. Just seen the edit, I’m still voting for a more square crop!

Dinner time, YUM! Nice composition with the hint of vino in the back ground!
Many thanks for the catch up Marsha.

Believe or not Desmond started off life as a cuddly toy about 50cm long. I cut it up to make some templates and blew it up to make a 5m long inflatable kite. We've made another dinosaur but it's not bridled to fly yet.

Week 12 - Linked

Linked
by Delta Skies, on Flickr

After grabbing a spare chain set from the garage my intention was to use natural light but the Sun went in so I had to settle for the studio lights again. I went for the obvious shallow DoF if you can call f11 as shallow although at this range it certainly is. I made sure no light was striking the black card in the background and came up with this. I have to say I was tempted to convert it to mono but I quite like the rusty bits.

Last edited:
Linked, i think i would like to see more of it in focus. You cant beat a rusty chain though.

Reshoot ( time ) - clean composition, and it looks like it was very yummy. My only crit is I feel the wine glass and bottle of wine is a bit of a distraction.
Linked - fits the theme, can't help but feel another pof would work better.
Thanks for the comments Mandy. Any ideas for a different pov would be welcomed - I tried a few.

Linked, i think i would like to see more of it in focus. You cant beat a rusty chain though.
Cheers Rob. I know what you are saying about the focus but I think I'm going through a shallow DoF phase at the moment.

I like the composition myself I think it works - can't see many more angles to be had tbh. I also like the DoF but feel that more focus should be on the 'Z' - it just starts to fade at the edge.

Seamless background as usual and also well lit, not sure how I feel about the rusty chain though.

Overall I like the image, obviously on theme, not much more to add.

just to second what people have already said peter, I like the shallow DOF and I think you were right to keep the colour, the rust adds a lot. I would have put the focus more on the Z or use some other writing on the chain if there was any. As for another POV, the only one I can think of that may be interesting would be to look down the chin in the centre?

Hi Peter :)

Linked - For me the focus point on such a narrow DoF is spot on, being on the actual linked section of the chain is perfect, BUT I would prefer that section to be a tad further into the frame - The background is an excellent black again and the composition from corner to corner works really well for me too - super rusty chain (y)

Good detail on the focus point, well lit, good clean bg Peter (y) composition works but I just find the image a little boring, may have worked better on a sprocket :whistle: :)

Quite a safe choice on the composition, although after breaking a few rules last week I see your thinking.

no problem with the shallow DOF, but feeling focus on the middle of the link (the 'Z') would have worked better, or maybe even further up the chain to the next complete link.... focus point being further away would have also increased your DOF (I think).

Definately right to stay in colour to keep the rusty bits. (y)

Swirl - beautiful shot, Peter, with subtle colours. How did you manage to get such a DoF so close up?

Time - not for us veggies, this one!

Linked - focus doesn't quite work on this one, but good subject.

Nice shot for linked I like the POV not sure what else would work tbh. Agree that the focus is a bit narrow or maybe could be on the Z as I find my eye is drawn the the letter. The BG is nice and black. (y)

Hi Peter
Swirl - nice shot of the rose - on theme and good colour and crop
Time reshoot - lovely colours and a nice subject. And posh asparagus too!
The comp has raised a lot of comment. Many have said concentrate on the meal but for me the theme needs more as you have tried to portray. I would include more of the fork and more of the wine label and glass. For a previous shot of food, I looked at a lot of images on the web and this type of shot often includes far more objects than just the plate of food. A lot of comments on these themes suggest tighter cropping but IMO this does not always help the portrayal of the theme
Linked - good comp with diag and small dof and b/g but , like others, I feel that more should be in focus or that the 'z' should be slightly further into the scene

Hi Peter....I like the inky black background, but I too find the point of focus a bit tight, my eye wants to go more to the centre of the picture.
Good choice for the theme !
Thanks Susie. As I said I purposely went for a shallow DoF on this

I like the composition myself I think it works - can't see many more angles to be had tbh. I also like the DoF but feel that more focus should be on the 'Z' - it just starts to fade at the edge.

Seamless background as usual and also well lit, not sure how I feel about the rusty chain though.

Overall I like the image, obviously on theme, not much more to add.
Thanks Simon. It's funny I took a series of shots focussing on the Z and showed them to Sarah who convinced me to bring the focus towards the left a little more. In terms of the rust, I wonder whether it would have been better either clean of rust or even more rusty than the one I used.

just to second what people have already said peter, I like the shallow DOF and I think you were right to keep the colour, the rust adds a lot. I would have put the focus more on the Z or use some other writing on the chain if there was any. As for another POV, the only one I can think of that may be interesting would be to look down the chin in the centre?
Cheers Adam. I know what you mean about down the centre of the chain although I preferred the side(ish) shot maybe due to the pins and Z's

Hi Peter :)

Linked - For me the focus point on such a narrow DoF is spot on, being on the actual linked section of the chain is perfect, BUT I would prefer that section to be a tad further into the frame - The background is an excellent black again and the composition from corner to corner works really well for me too - super rusty chain (y)
Thanks Dean. I can see what you are saying regarding pushing the focus point more to the right. This is an uncropped image so I'd have to shoot again unfortunately.

Good detail on the focus point, well lit, good clean bg Peter (y) composition works but I just find the image a little boring, may have worked better on a sprocket :whistle: :)
Thanks Phil. Good idea about the sprocket. Maybe an option for the next reshoot pulled out of the hat

Quite a safe choice on the composition, although after breaking a few rules last week I see your thinking.

no problem with the shallow DOF, but feeling focus on the middle of the link (the 'Z') would have worked better, or maybe even further up the chain to the next complete link.... focus point being further away would have also increased your DOF (I think).

Definately right to stay in colour to keep the rusty bits. (y)
Thanks Graham. You're right DoF should increase with distance but I was after shallow. I guess it's maybe the positioning of it that could have been changed.

Swirl - beautiful shot, Peter, with subtle colours. How did you manage to get such a DoF so close up?

Time - not for us veggies, this one!

Linked - focus doesn't quite work on this one, but good subject.
Cheers Mercurius. Apologies I didn't think about veggies when I took the shot. :rolleyes:

Nice shot for linked I like the POV not sure what else would work tbh. Agree that the focus is a bit narrow or maybe could be on the Z as I find my eye is drawn the the letter. The BG is nice and black. (y)
Thanks Michael

Hi Peter
Swirl - nice shot of the rose - on theme and good colour and crop
Time reshoot - lovely colours and a nice subject. And posh asparagus too!
The comp has raised a lot of comment. Many have said concentrate on the meal but for me the theme needs more as you have tried to portray. I would include more of the fork and more of the wine label and glass. For a previous shot of food, I looked at a lot of images on the web and this type of shot often includes far more objects than just the plate of food. A lot of comments on these themes suggest tighter cropping but IMO this does not always help the portrayal of the theme
Linked - good comp with diag and small dof and b/g but , like others, I feel that more should be in focus or that the 'z' should be slightly further into the scene
Many thanks for the comments Alan. It's funny I shared the image on Facebook and someone commented that asparagus was posh. I didn't realise that. I just know they are supposed to be a bit of an aphrodisiac :banana:

Good detail and nice clean BG.

Not keen on the composition. Seems to last drama, IYSWIM. Maybe photographing down the chain? Or on a flat surface with a few curves?

Cheers.

I like the position and lighting on the chain, the detail is very pleasing with the little pieces of rust.

I would have liked to see the whole of the link in focus rather than just one end of it although the dof focuses the attention in the right place.

Really :jawdrop: Is that because they spend a lot of the time in the dark and then emerge with a flourish?
LOL
Thanks Judi
Good detail and nice clean BG.

Not keen on the composition. Seems to last drama, IYSWIM. Maybe photographing down the chain? Or on a flat surface with a few curves?

Cheers.
Thanks Andy.
I like the position and lighting on the chain, the detail is very pleasing with the little pieces of rust.

I would have liked to see the whole of the link in focus rather than just one end of it although the dof focuses the attention in the right place.
Thanks Mark. The position of the point of focus has been a talking point worth me thinking about for next time.

Swirl: A real standout pic. The soft delicate petals, soft pastel tones, soft lighting and gently swirling pattern are certainly dreamlike. The cropped version works a treat and you've really done the rose justice. All the more impressive considering the minimal use PS.

Linked: I think its all been said already re point of focus, DOF, composition etc. THe summary though is that regardless of these minor details it is still a well executed shot.

Swirl: A real standout pic. The soft delicate petals, soft pastel tones, soft lighting and gently swirling pattern are certainly dreamlike. The cropped version works a treat and you've really done the rose justice. All the more impressive considering the minimal use PS.

Linked: I think its all been said already re point of focus, DOF, composition etc. THe summary though is that regardless of these minor details it is still a well executed shot.
Thanks Jason.

Hi Peter, I like the chain image for your linked, but agree that more of it in focus would be good. Having said this, the more I look at it, the more I like it how it is - the shallow DOF kind of gives it a possibility for the chain to move out into the distance. (I don't think I've explained it that well).
It's clean, the BG is clean and I don't think Mono conversion is required.

Leave as is. Nice.

Hi Peter, I like the chain image for your linked, but agree that more of it in focus would be good. Having said this, the more I look at it, the more I like it how it is - the shallow DOF kind of gives it a possibility for the chain to move out into the distance. (I don't think I've explained it that well).
It's clean, the BG is clean and I don't think Mono conversion is required.

Leave as is. Nice.
Thanks Simon

Linked - cant really add to what has been said but it I like it
Thanks Craig

Hi Peter

perfect black bg , good placement with the chain entering & leaving the shot through corners (y) Not so sure about the DOF , I too want to see more in focus , partic the letter Z , but I do like that you left it color as it add's a little more interest :)

Hi Peter not gong to bang on but its all been said above and I am trying to catch up, been away for a few days, I do like the comp with it moving diagonally across the frame

Hi Peter

perfect black bg , good placement with the chain entering & leaving the shot through corners (y) Not so sure about the DOF , I too want to see more in focus , partic the letter Z , but I do like that you left it color as it add's a little more interest :)
Thanks Lynne

Hi Peter not gong to bang on but its all been said above and I am trying to catch up, been away for a few days, I do like the comp with it moving diagonally across the frame
Thanks Allan

Week 13 - Step(s)

Wakefield Cathedral Steps

I'm late with this one but I set off this year knowing that there will be some weeks when this happens. It was due to be wet today so I wasn't convinced I'd get a shot. I live between Leeds and Wakefield heading North at first but didn't get inspired so as I had this shot in mind I headed towards Wakefield. By the time I was setting up it had just started to rain so had to take the shot and move on. This one was taken very low down on the tripod with some correction to verticals in PP with a little help from Silver Efex. I have to say I timed it right as it poured down walking back to the car.

Now that is brilliant peter. Love it. Steps work really well for thebottom third. No coincidence you have one of the llines right in the corner. Love your attention to detail.
The light on the cathedral in the mid third is great and the sky is the perfect finishing touch to the image.

Maybe late but worth the wait.:)

Great dramatic feel to the image which is what is required for churches etc... Just to re-iterate what Graham has said your attention to detail is excellent in this pic.

Now that is brilliant peter. Love it. Steps work really well for thebottom third. No coincidence you have one of the llines right in the corner. Love your attention to detail.
The light on the cathedral in the mid third is great and the sky is the perfect finishing touch to the image.

Maybe late but worth the wait.:)
Thanks Graham. I picked up the trick about the corner when I went on a landscape photography workshop. It does seem to be a rule that ticks quite a few boxes.

Great dramatic feel to the image which is what is required for churches etc... Just to re-iterate what Graham has said your attention to detail is excellent in this pic.
Thanks Colin. I've visited quite a few churches recently although usually only get the camera out inside so this made a nice change. Mind you there was a service going on at the time so I don't think I'd have been too popular if I'd have gone in with the camera bag and tripod.;)

Hi Peter, just to echo what colin and Graham have said above (y)
The long exposure has really added a sense of drama to the scene, the processing of which has only added to that feeling.
Great work Peter

Oo yeah I like that Peter, silver efex has done you proud with the B&W conversion. Did you use an ND filter for this shot to get the sky as it is or was it simply just the long exposure?

Hi, nice step pic and nice to see some BG interest not just some steps, great conversion and the long exposure add to it too
whats not to like :clap:

really like this Peter, brill composition incorporating so other interest other than just the steps. The movement in the sky and the mono conversion give a nice gritty feel. Just one little thing, is it me or is the sky a little noisy? it may well be my monitor! other than that, very good(y)

Back