weekly Delta Skies 2014 TP52 - Week 51 Extravagant & Week 52 Support (that's 2014 done)

Lovely lighting and I'm partial to a square crop.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. You wouldn't be interested in a Bronica SQ-A would you? Takes some superb 120mm square film. I could include 2 lenses and a couple of backs (including a Polaroid back) in a deal especially for you (y)
Beautiful take on the theme, Great lighting and i love the composition of this image spot on in my eyes.
Thanks Mandy
Most excellent - I really struggle with shiny stuff and lighting - it's so easy to blow highlights - an excellent job.
Cheers Sarah
WOW....The clarity is amazing....and the way the lighting has been handled on such a difficult shiny object is exemplary..Really REALLY good work Peter
Thanks Jason. I appreciate the kind words
really strong submission for play there Peter, compositionally hard to fault, the favoured bottom left to top right diagonal, with lines into / out of both those corners does make it a settling image,

lighting is really nice - not sure if the sheet music underneath is overegging the pudding, but it certainly woudn;t be the same with a plain background, so I'll go with it. (y)
Thanks Graham. I must admit the sheet music was my first thought - maybe clichéd - but I felt it fitted.

exudes classical beauty
Cheers David
That is a great shot. It's beautifully lit, pin sharp, with no flares or reflections - I have no idea how you managed to do that! I love the composition and the colours too.
Many thanks Mercurius
Lines : A lovely take on the theme, I really like the subtle colours but they are my favourite colours anyway :)

Play: nice crisp shot love it no criticism from me. :)
Thanks for the comments Judi
Love the attention to detail and sharpness then found my eyes wandering up to the 35. :)
Cheers Paul. I see what you mean about the 35. Maybe a different page would have solved that.
Hi Peter, can only echo what's above superbly lit, on what must have been a nightmare to light
Nice composition too :clap:
Thanks Allan. Lighting and shiny objects don't always work well.
Again what they all said, really well lit with no distracting reflections. Fabulous :)
Cheers Michael
Great detail on the pipes/valves.

Nicely composed (see what I did there ;)) with the music in the background.
Groan :p Thanks for the comments Mark.

'Fraid you stole my thunder with the brass instrument and the music sheet, I was about to do a similar thing with my saxophone so I had to do a rapid rethink; but I'm still using the saxophone -- or part of it anyway.

Nice tones on the brass, I know from experience that it's a bugger trying not to burn parts of it out.

Hi Peter :wave:
Good to see your work again and a very strong start.

Lines - very well handled , very painterly feel to it. Good colours and crop. Very nice example of the technique (incidentally you have pointed out some of your earlier tries at this on another thread - they are truly 'orrible :LOL:)

Play - excellent. Well handled colours and lighting. It has immediate impact with 'shine', good comp with the diag of the instrument and the lesser diag of the music ( and i do think that the music adds a lot to the shot because of the contrast of its clean lines and neutral b/g).
Excellent separation of the instrument from the b/g. All in all a brilliant shot.

'Fraid you stole my thunder with the brass instrument and the music sheet, I was about to do a similar thing with my saxophone so I had to do a rapid rethink; but I'm still using the saxophone -- or part of it anyway.

Nice tones on the brass, I know from experience that it's a bugger trying not to burn parts of it out.
Thanks Martin. It wouldn't have been a problem taking something similar but like what you've done anyway.

-LINES- I like it a lot! The lighting is spot on as is the focus(y)
Cheers Paul

Hi Peter :wave:
Good to see your work again and a very strong start.

Lines - very well handled , very painterly feel to it. Good colours and crop. Very nice example of the technique (incidentally you have pointed out some of your earlier tries at this on another thread - they are truly 'orrible :LOL:)

Play - excellent. Well handled colours and lighting. It has immediate impact with 'shine', good comp with the diag of the instrument and the lesser diag of the music ( and i do think that the music adds a lot to the shot because of the contrast of its clean lines and neutral b/g).
Excellent separation of the instrument from the b/g. All in all a brilliant shot.
Many thanks for the kind comments Alan.

Thanks Andy. You wouldn't be interested in a Bronica SQ-A would you? Takes some superb 120mm square film. I could include 2 lenses and a couple of backs (including a Polaroid back) in a deal especially for you

If I bought any more camera Jackie would surgically remove a certain part of me :)

Looks like a cracking camera, though.

Cheers.

I like your 'lines'. Very nice. Something I have been meaning to try but never quite got around to. 'Play' is absolutely bang on. Much more difficult to get right than it looks. Well done. :)

Gerry

A catch up with your first three themes, Peter.

Odd - I like your interpretation of the theme. The colour of the dice is strong and contrasts well with the background, and your focus and lighting is spot on and draws attention to the odd numbered die.
Line - Really like this one; an unusual interpretation, beautifully achieved with soft colours and just enough movement.
Play - Exposure must have been a challenge and you have controlled it well, and your use of music sheets in the background is ideal.

You're off to a strong start and I look forward to following your thread.

Lovely image Peter and well on theme I like it. Minor crit, the lighting seems slightly uneven it's a touch too bright on the right side/ top. Maybe two softys instead of one - or two brollys, just to keep it even. (sorry - this is just me being picky)

Blimey Peter... that is spot on, and late to the party so nothing original to add, love it :clap:
Thanks Dean
If I bought any more camera Jackie would surgically remove a certain part of me :)

Looks like a cracking camera, though.

Cheers.
As long as it's on your shutter release finger you'll be fine :D
I like your 'lines'. Very nice. Something I have been meaning to try but never quite got around to. 'Play' is absolutely bang on. Much more difficult to get right than it looks. Well done. :)

Gerry
Thanks for the comments Gerry
A catch up with your first three themes, Peter.

Odd - I like your interpretation of the theme. The colour of the dice is strong and contrasts well with the background, and your focus and lighting is spot on and draws attention to the odd numbered die.
Line - Really like this one; an unusual interpretation, beautifully achieved with soft colours and just enough movement.
Play - Exposure must have been a challenge and you have controlled it well, and your use of music sheets in the background is ideal.

You're off to a strong start and I look forward to following your thread.
Thanks for the feedback on these Andrea.

Lovely image Peter and well on theme I like it. Minor crit, the lighting seems slightly uneven it's a touch too bright on the right side/ top. Maybe two softys instead of one - or two brollys, just to keep it even. (sorry - this is just me being picky)
No problem about being picky Simon. That's how we learn. It's a good excuse to get another softbox. I do love them so much more than brollies.
play. excellent image well lit cant fault it

Craig
Cheers Craig
Love it. Great lighting, clear and sharp. Well done.
I didn't realise until today that my play shot was not so original (although different instrument)
Thanks Chris.

Week 3 - Close

Close Up Memory
by Delta Skies, on Flickr

This week's theme could be taken a few ways but I decided to get the macro lens out and get in close. I had some spare computer memory lying around so got close up and personal to one of the chips on there. Lit by the studio lights and had fun again this week to hold back the highlights. I was amazed how reflective solder can be!

Sorry I'm playing comment catch up.
Odd ~ Bang on
Lines ~ Amazing probably my fave shot of that week (y)
Play ~ again spot on and amazingly sharp well lit and well composed.
Close ~ Not fair you added that while i was typing. Again excellent shot 4 1st class photos so far.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm playing comment catch up.
Odd ~ Bang on
Lines ~ Amazing probably my fave shot of that week (y)
Play ~ again spot on and amazingly sharp well lit and well composed.
Close ~ Not fair you added that while i was typing. Again excellent shot 4 1st class photos so far.
Many thanks Simon for the kind words

Close. Cracking detail....ideal candidate fir a bit if stacking to get all the near chip in focus.

Well lit and nice textures in the chips.

Cheers.

Close - does nothing for me :LOL: boys toys I guess - sorry - can't get past the fact that it doesn't interest me. I'm sure it's a perfectly good photo of computer inards or whatever but :shrug:

Hi Peter

Play.....amazingly sharp , lovely lighting that really brings out the subtle tones in the metal ,good control of reflections & I find the square crop rather appealing.... :clap:

Closed......I love macro work.......exceedingly frustrating but equally as rewarding I find.......just a bit on the bright side for me mainly on the solder joints. I confess to having never seen one of these chips up close but wonder if there was another angle you could have taken so as not to have got a plain bit in shot ( rh side of image ? ) If there isn't then fair do's , it's still a fascinating shot (y)

Hi Peter,

Lines - Love the abstractness and the colours -- very artsy.
Play - You've controlled the lighting well.
Close - The reflections have been mentioned by yourself already. The light looks rather harsh? There also appears to be a fair amount of dust on the card.

Hi Peter, Difficult subject but you have managed the highlights really well, nice and sharp

Close - Great Macro Peter :)

Strange bu I was thinking that earlier, but couldn't think of what to open up, so went plant wise myself... A well lit shot, nice detail and like the diagonal - spot on (y)
Cheers Dean. Unfortunately last week I threw away a DVD player which I could have torn apart to use for this.
Close. Cracking detail....ideal candidate fir a bit if stacking to get all the near chip in focus.

Well lit and nice textures in the chips.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. I'm not well practised at stacking but I played around with the lights until I got the DoF I was after.
I love your macro shot of the memory chip, plenty of detail to be noticed good composition, I can see why it was a fun image to shoot .
Thanks Mandy. Fun wasn't what I was thinking at one point. Early on I got the right composition but the background was wrong and had to go back to it the following day to try again (and again....and again)
Great macro, but a tad bright for me.
Thanks Chris. The shine of those pins is quite bright.

Hi Peter,

Play, lovely lighting, and you've done well with the highlights. Were you wearing an orange jumper though? There are little orange bits in the reflections.

Close, very close indeed, I too like the diagonal.
Thanks Marsha. Well spotted. The subject was being held by a clamp which had some orange on it. I only spotted it during the final edit :banghead:
I've always thought these things have a surprising amount of 'bits and bobs' on them but never thought to get in close with a lens! Great idea, well lit and executed, and the strong diagonal works well.
Thanks Andrea
Close - does nothing for me :LOL: boys toys I guess - sorry - can't get past the fact that it doesn't interest me. I'm sure it's a perfectly good photo of computer inards or whatever but :shrug:
No problem Sarah. I've lived and breathed IT for virtually all my career and these things bore me as well.
Hi Peter

Play.....amazingly sharp , lovely lighting that really brings out the subtle tones in the metal ,good control of reflections & I find the square crop rather appealing.... :clap:

Closed......I love macro work.......exceedingly frustrating but equally as rewarding I find.......just a bit on the bright side for me mainly on the solder joints. I confess to having never seen one of these chips up close but wonder if there was another angle you could have taken so as not to have got a plain bit in shot ( rh side of image ? ) If there isn't then fair do's , it's still a fascinating shot (y)
Thanks for the comments Lynne. Believe me I tried all sorts of angles but went for a diagonal as it was less boring.

Good detail and its sharp in the right places, but subject does nothing for me, I'm afraid.
Thanks Mercurius
Hi Peter,

Lines - Love the abstractness and the colours -- very artsy.
Play - You've controlled the lighting well.
Close - The reflections have been mentioned by yourself already. The light looks rather harsh? There also appears to be a fair amount of dust on the card.
Thanks Nathalie. You should have seen it before I brushed it and used compressed air to remove the carp from it. Need less to say this memory was fairly old.
Hi Peter, play, that is a really nice picture, an ideal bg and excellent lighting and composition.
Close, Like it too, nice control of lighting, Andy's idea of stacking sounds good.
Cheers Michael
Hi Peter, Difficult subject but you have managed the highlights really well, nice and sharp
Thanks Allan

nicely detailed shot there Peter - nothing to crit except I'm wondering whether focus point on the white lettering would have made it better or worse?

it looks a bit insect-like... which I rather like.

Phew *wipesbrow* glad I didn't offend :D
No worries on that front Sarah. All critique is welcomed
nicely detailed shot there Peter - nothing to crit except I'm wondering whether focus point on the white lettering would have made it better or worse?

it looks a bit insect-like... which I rather like.
Thanks Graham. I tried to focus on the pins towards the front of the chip but equally the writing would have been a good idea.

Hi Peter, welcome back to the 52 (y)
I am just getting round to commenting on everyone's threads, I got here eventually :D
I like the abstract feel/look to line, almost like a watercolour painting, its an interesting technique, one which I must try.
Play, fantastic, you've handled the lighting/reflections well, lovely colour tones in there and the background sets it all just nicely.
Close, bang on theme but feel it just needs a little something else :thinking:

Back