SamuelSlade's Photo52 4 2011 : Week 52 Glass + Nature added

Mentalblock said:
10 out of 10, but he hasn't even got a spider on it :wacky:
Mine must get a 12 then

Neil...yours is about a 9 1/2 as it has a.spider in..but little dew..see its all about the shot... Mines been scored... Guess your score is in the post..? Maybe..

Hiya Kev,

Well I am certainly glad now that I waited to get home to comment on your recent pics. My netbook screen is c@rp for viewing photos. I saw these earlier today while at the campsite and couldn't make out the one for rapid, but now that I am viewing on the large monitor at home I can see what it is and the b&w works well.

I like the spiderweb too which has some great drops and the background colour really emphasises the web.

Well done on both counts.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks man!! Wow...full marks.... ..

..Andy... Passe .... Really..??

It's a take that sprang to my mind straight away, as I suspect it did to many of us. Takes nothing away from it, mind.

I guess it's framed but I'd rather it was on it's own. Top is a tad OOF...

Also, do spiders weave webs or spin them....:thinking: ;);)

Your rapid has a ice industrial feel to it and a real sense of rapid. B&W was a good choice. I kind of wish it was all in focus...

Cheers.

Like the angle you took this at Kev...the water droplets make it look so delicate...and red again :LOL:

It's a take that sprang to my mind straight away, as I suspect it did to many of us. Takes nothing away from it, mind.

I guess it's framed but I'd rather it was on it's own. Top is a tad OOF...

Also, do spiders weave webs or spin them....:thinking: ;);)

Your rapid has a ice industrial feel to it and a real sense of rapid. B&W was a good choice. I kind of wish it was all in focus...

Cheers.

thanks andy... i guess i approached it from the saying..." what a tangled web we weave..." ... :shrug: .. to be hoinest... my 24-105 is part macro...but not a true macro lens so struggle every time..

Hiya Kev, just having a quick catch up, rapid is a good pic, works well in black and white. Weave, great for the theme, I think it would look better with a tighter crop.

thanks michael... i could have... i know... but my lens ain't that good for macro...mayb e i'll reshoot at some point... :shrug:

Two takes on abstract.... Art as well.. Strange / weird ART!! ...

I love this shot for the colour the metal has taken with the reflection of the sun.

This shot seems to me to be popping out from the sky beyond and i don't know why??? .. :thinking:

I'm not sure what the first one represents if anything at all :shrug:... but the second supposedly is of the sheet metal used in Perkins Engines just along the way and a massive name round here, except they have been bought out a few times...so its not like the old family firm anymore.. :cautious:

Hiya Kev,

Well done, both fit the abstract theme!

Love the gold tones.

D :)

^Joe said:
number 2 for me. My eye keeps getting caught on the sun reflection in one, and I prefer the angle in 2.

Nice find, and well in the theme, I think.

Thanks Joe.. I do see your point about the sun... In some ways it adds to the feature... But others it is a distraction.. (y)

Hi Kev

I like the two pieces of art that have been created in an abstract form. However for me your photos themselves are not abstract... they are just a true picture of someone elses art... not your own.

I realise you might not agree and that is fine! Lets not argue....

As for the photos themselves I think you could have found better angles to take them from which would have made your art out someone elses art. Maybe in much closer with a wide angle lens looking up... using a narrow DOF etc. Your first one especially with the light you had could have been something taken from the ground looking up through the sculpture etc.

Good work though... I wish I had your time to be able to do the 52 as it probably should be done week on week. But with my work, home life and all the other things i've got going on this year i've tended to do my photography in binges when ive been on holiday and had the time.

Mark

i can see what you mean about my photos not being my own art..and that i'm taking some1 elses art.. maybe i'll revisit the sites at differing hours. maybe one night, and use flashlight to illuminate areas, twist the art somehow....but then again..i love the first shot for the rich colour i've captured, to me its weird/strange...retaining the blue sky even?

as for using a wider lens. i'd love to have, but 24mm is the widest. and on a 7d doesn't even mean that. the ground around them you can see is flat so it would have been difficult to get a decent shot AND see the viewfinder (liveview) ... so opted for the shots i did..

..and lastly, my life ain't the bed of roses i'd love it to be, but the 52 AND my prime challenge help keep me on the straight and narrow (focused) :shrug: .... more so that i want to carry on the prime challenge after the 31st...you're not the only one to struggle with low photo-mojo... :|

Hi

Can I ask why do you need to see the viewfinder or use liveview? I dont see how that's an issue. just crouch down on the ground and hold the camera right on the ground and shoot up. If focus is an issue then set the camera to f11, manual focus to 2m. at 24mm you will get everything from about 1.5m to 8m in focus! I regularly take pics where im not looking through the viewfinder... you soon get used to where and how to aim your camera. I often shoot with it right above my head for better angles. Oh and dont be afraid to lie on the ground. I even did it in York Minster's chapter room much to the disgust of my wife... who walked away in embarasment. But it meant I got the exact angle I wanted.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was the only one who didn't have time... we all have lifes! I dont struggle particularly with mo-jo... its more just not liking the themes sometimes. Especially when ive spent a week shooting loads of great pics and this weeks theme does not fit anything ive worked on!

Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was the only one who didn't have time... we all have lifes! I dont struggle particularly with mo-jo... its more just not liking the themes sometimes. Especially when ive spent a week shooting loads of great pics and this weeks theme does not fit anything ive worked on!

just quick...but then isn't that the point of accepting the challenge :thinking: ..to use the themes to shoot outside the box... now i accept your suggestion that i could shoot blind as it were, but i want to get to the stage where i can take the shot first time :shrug: ... thats another aim of my prime challenge, 1st time .. bang in the can..

i loathed some weeks... :bang: ... but i didn't let that stop me scratching the chin and trying...

..but as a final word... each to their own 52 ... its not like you've given up completely, just cherry picking i guess.

thx (y)

Hi, oohhh, liking them...I'd like to have a nice close look at them.

I think Mark has a point. I think if you got much closer and used some reflections, flash, gels, long exposures to get some clouds/stars in them, that would be a sigh to see.

Cheers.

posiview said:
Hi, oohhh, liking them...I'd like to have a nice close look at them.

I think Mark has a point. I think if you got much closer and used some reflections, flash, gels, long exposures to get some clouds/stars in them, that would be a sigh to see.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy....what I'm thinking is I'll take matt's bridge painting as an example and use different gels with a flash...not sure.about lighting though...I could.combine.images I guess... Try and experiment outside my box. ...(y)

OK..!! i have tonight..stepped boldly out of my comfort zone...and into the path of the oncoming traffic to bring you my extra take on Abstract...

thought i'd get creative.. try flash..try gels.. try waiting for traffic to pass by so i could get on with shooting :razz:

Take 1:

Take 2:

tripoded and cabled... shot in multiple phases... perhaps next time i'll get a strong flash light.. :shrug:

is it abstract... well its not bl@@dy kansas anymore toto .. (y)

Thanks Michael.they're essentially the same image...just cropped differently. I know what you mean..that nasty dark area. But glad you like my retake on the theme..

Wow, I really like your light painting with gels (y) it's really given the subject a nice pop (y) I look forward to seeing you doing some more light painting :D

Matt

coming from the teacher, thanks matt .. (y) ... yes i felt funny being exposed on the side of the road... but looking back it took all of 20 mins at the most ... less time than to watch Corrie :LOL: ....

Number 1 for me too. Nice lines, nice composition, and great use of the Rosco? gels.
I must start to use my bolder colours more, and not just stick with CTO and blue!

Well done, great shot.

Adie

Oooooh Kev, now those colours turn me on ;):LOL:

Have to say the first tickles my fancy the most, mainly because I find the left side of the 2nd slightly distracting.

Well done

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks all....glad you liked the reshoots .... And ..dawn are aegis going to have dampen you down with some pastel and magnolia colour charts....

Thanks all....glad you liked the reshoots .... And ..dawn are aegis going to have dampen you down with some pastel and magnolia colour charts....

NEVER!!!!! :D:D

The bolder and brighter for me ..... the better ;)

Dx

Kev... Well done these are a huge improvement! No 2 for me but love them... like how you waited for the car lights etc... defo on theme and no longer is the other persons art the focus... It's yours!

Back