weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2014 Week 52 - Support added and FINISHED

It's nice to see a smoke picture with a different background. The red really works nicely. Compositionally I prefer #2. Having the five incense sticks balances the image well.

Smoke #2 gets my vote Alan (y)
The others both work well but I like that your submission is something a little different to what we've seen that week, by your inclusion of 5 incense sticks.
I like the cool blue colour tones too.

Hi Alan, smoke :runaway:
I have to go for the blatant plagiarism of the bottle, nice colour in there (y)
both smoke images are as good as anything else Ive seen in the last week or so,
but I would rather stick the lit ends of the incense in my eyes than see anymore :crying:

It's nice to see a smoke picture with a different background. The red really works nicely. Compositionally I prefer #2. Having the five incense sticks balances the image well.
Smoke #2 gets my vote Alan (y)
The others both work well but I like that your submission is something a little different to what we've seen that week, by your inclusion of 5 incense sticks.
I like the cool blue colour tones too.

Thanks Peter and Iain. I felt that I had to do something a bit different and on the tenuous inspiration of Lowry and 'it's grim up north' led me to this

Hi Alan :)

Smoke - I think you're being WAY too hard on yourself !!!!

They are some real nice images... really like the background detail in the first & the horizontal background in the second, both have nice sharp bands of smoke (y)

As for the whisky... I really wish I liked the stuff as they always look soooo good to drink, liking the lighting on yours, but not so sure on the dark vertical shadow behind the bottle :)

Hi Alan :)

Smoke - I think you're being WAY too hard on yourself !!!!

They are some real nice images... really like the background detail in the first & the horizontal background in the second, both have nice sharp bands of smoke (y)

As for the whisky... I really wish I liked the stuff as they always look soooo good to drink, liking the lighting on yours, but not so sure on the dark vertical shadow behind the bottle :)

Cheers DK. Helpful comments.
Malt Whisky is a great drink and what we like so much about it is the variety and complexity and really you just need a drop to appreciate its qualities.
Err --- and I quite like the vertical shadow :oops: :$

Prefer the blue. With a little imagination it looks like smoke-stacks against a blue sky.

I like # and it's great so see you're having a go at various ideas. I like composting and detail in the smoke but would prefer a black BG so the smoke stood out more.

Cheers.

Liking the whiskey bottle Alan (y) I quite like it against the bg, not overly keen on the shadow from the bottle though :thinking: :)

Last edited:
Week 6 - Mineral

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, when one has flying slates, take advantage.:eek:

Some debate in the SP household as to which was the best shot and, altho I don't like to post more than one shot ( and I know i have made that excuse before:)) I would appreciate comments and which is preferred

#1 Mineral

Mineral - DSC_0504
by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

#2 Mineral

Mineral - 20140210
by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

I like these, the colours in the ring and rock are great. As for preference, I am going to be awkward :rolleyes: I like the rock composition in the first one but I prefer the ring position and background of the second :D

2nd for me Alan, appears to be more detail (y)

I rather like mineral #1... But like the BG of #2.

Some interesting shadows in #1. Smidgen closer, maybe.

Looks like something out of LOTR.

Cheers.

HI Alan

love the smoke shot on the bluey bg with the incense sticks showing...can't crit smoke photo's as had a mare with them myself so just a (y)

Mineral.....that's one helluva a ring ! I'd opt for #1 , like the lit hitting the lhs , the slightly darker bg & the brightness of the gemstone (y)

the 2nd image seems to have some haloing around the rhs of the rock but I do like the little little star burst on the gemstone :)

Hi Alan.

Smoke 1, initially I thought it was a bit meh (that's a technical term) but I kept staring and shapes started jumping out! Looking sideways on I can see a person! It makes for a much more interesting shot the longer you look at it!

Love number two. The stripy background contrasts nicely with the smoke and the five sticks :)

Not sure what the whisky bottle is about but it's a cracking shot, love the lighting on this.

Mineral, I like the light background, the other one doesn't look real, but it might be my eyes at nearly 3am playing tricks on me!
Great detail on the ring and rock thing though :)

Just put the 2nd one on the first background and you've got a winner for me. Love the sparkle on the 2nd one but feel the darker background would suit it better.

Hi Alan, I prefer the first one for the position of the ring and the lighting on the rock I like a dark BG too
a nice idea to display the ring on the rock too (y)

Hi Alan, #2 gets my vote mainly as it shows the detail on the band of the ring with more clarity. (y)

hi
great idea for featuring stone on ring, like the positioning/composition of first but also drawn to second by the little 'twinkle'

Another awkward response in that I like the composition of #2 but the darker background in #1. Either way I really like these. Using a grey backgrdoun really compliments the slate as does the gold on the jewel

I like these, the colours in the ring and rock are great. As for preference, I am going to be awkward :rolleyes: I like the rock composition in the first one but I prefer the ring position and background of the second :D
I rather like mineral #1... But like the BG of #2.

Some interesting shadows in #1. Smidgen closer, maybe.

Looks like something out of LOTR.

Cheers.

Thanks for those comments. As i suspected, not unanimous for either

HI Alan

love the smoke shot on the bluey bg with the incense sticks showing...can't crit smoke photo's as had a mare with them myself so just a (y)

Mineral.....that's one helluva a ring ! I'd opt for #1 , like the lit hitting the lhs , the slightly darker bg & the brightness of the gemstone (y)

the 2nd image seems to have some haloing around the rhs of the rock but I do like the little little star burst on the gemstone :)
Second one for me too Alan. Love the starburst

Thanks Lynne. My thoughts on the Mineral are similar - i do like the position of the piece of slate and the amount of light and shade on #1 , but that starburst in #2 kept bringing me back. (and yes a bit of halo in my attempt to sharpen it)

Last edited:
Back