weekly Treehugger81's 2015 52 challenge - Week 9/10 - Vertical and Mouth added

Hi Phil :)

Patterns - What can I say.... first theme, fantastic image, shame it was an archive shot, but moving on...

Bliss - Now then, that's more like it, a couple of grand images, taken out of your comfort zone, both nicely composed and lit, both real good idea's too, hard to choose between them but going to plump for the first one (y)

Pattern - Great idea and I think it works well for the theme

Bliss - I like #1. The lighting on the side of the face is just right. Well done for getting out of your comfort zone on this one.

Hi Phil :)

Patterns - What can I say.... first theme, fantastic image, shame it was an archive shot, but moving on...

Bliss - Now then, that's more like it, a couple of grand images, taken out of your comfort zone, both nicely composed and lit, both real good idea's too, hard to choose between them but going to plump for the first one (y)

Pattern - Great idea and I think it works well for the theme

Bliss - I like #1. The lighting on the side of the face is just right. Well done for getting out of your comfort zone on this one.

Two great images, Phil but my preference is #2. That image tells a story and I am loving it :D

Thanks for the comments guys.

Week 2 - Fragile

I had a couple of ideas for this weeks theme but none of them were really exciting me so I went out and about to see if couldn't find some inspiration. Now I live on the Fylde coast and its been pretty stormy today. That combined with a high tide and I was in the right place to get some shots of the stormy seas. When confronted by what I experienced today, it certainly made me feel more than a little fragile when compared to the awesome power of the the wind and sea combined.

Would love to get your comments and critique on these. My personal favourite is #3 however without a big wave in the background not sure if it squeezes into the theme :thinking:.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for anything else that fits the theme throughout the week, I may find something more.:D

Last edited:
HI Phil

I agree with you....no 3 is wonderful , the chap & his dog walking in to the lighter area ,dark menacing sky -works really well. A huge wave would have been the icing on the cake but you can still see the rough sea (y)

ON balance I think #2 edges it for me , the wave bursting over the wall with the person watching ,stood in the shaft of light ...well spotted :clap:

Not really getting fragile, but of the set it's #2 for me. The person standing and looking at the waves works well.

Cheers.

Hi Andy, I guess its more of a personal feeling that I get when confronted with the awesome power of the wind and waves combined. After my little trip out I was battered and broken and feeling very fragile.

Thanks for commenting. (y)

Great shots for fragile- good idea for it, no 2 for me out of the set

Hi Phil...

That's what I do at times when short of idea's, go out for a drive/walk... a nice set here, liking the sea in the first shot, not sure what's happening with the colour on that one, but theme wise I agree with Andy, a second vote for number 2, looks real good on flickr (y)

Hi Phil...

That's what I do at times when short of idea's, go out for a drive/walk... a nice set here, liking the sea in the first shot, not sure what's happening with the colour on that one, but theme wise I agree with Andy, a second vote for number 2, looks real good on flickr (y)

Cheers DK. I agreed with your comment on #1 so stripped it back and did a little less messing about with it........still trying to get to grips with PP i guess :thinking:. Saying that the light was pretty strange. I do think the edit looks more natural.

#1 edit

Great FRAGILE shot sPhil .... I like #3 man with dog and those shadows.

Hi, playing catch up here, have to say No3 is superb especially when seen larger on flickr No1 a close second but you need to straighten the horizon slightly
like how you call the guy who arrived on his bike mental he probably thought the same about you
well done for getting out in that weather, well worth it

3 Lovely images I like 2 and 3 the best and I can see where your coming from with them fitting the theme. I was in Saundersfoot last January when the storms hit the waves were incredabel and washed part of the road away further down the coast in Amroth

great shots - I like No. 3 too - like the shadows and the fact they look so small compared to the sea - fragile indeed

2 for me too. Love the separation between the persons head and the shoreline so you can clearly see the silhouette outline. In 3 this seems to merge more with the shoreline behind and is not so clear to see. Hope this makes sense!
:)

Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated (y)

Fragile - three great images for the theme, I think my pick of the bunch is the first one as it has the wave in it. And reminds us of how fragile our coastline can be at the hands of Mother Nature.

Thanks Mandy, I like your perspective on the fragile theme I was thinking more in terms of me, but your take on it works much better.

2 for me too. Love the separation between the persons head and the shoreline so you can clearly see the silhouette outline. In 3 this seems to merge more with the shoreline behind and is not so clear to see. Hope this makes sense!
:)

Makes perfect sense Hazel. Thanks for commenting.

Phil, I love the wave in #2 and the innocence of #3. #1 is a nice enough scene of the wave but there's a relative lack of interest compared with those other two shots, which for me are composed very well. Lighting is good in all three, but I'd perhaps like a touch more on the surrounding shadow areas so they're not in complete silhouette... although I'm now changing my mind on that!

Two great shots, would be awesome if #3 could have had a wave, but they're still very good!

Phil, I love the wave in #2 and the innocence of #3. #1 is a nice enough scene of the wave but there's a relative lack of interest compared with those other two shots, which for me are composed very well. Lighting is good in all three, but I'd perhaps like a touch more on the surrounding shadow areas so they're not in complete silhouette... although I'm now changing my mind on that!

Two great shots, would be awesome if #3 could have had a wave, but they're still very good!

Cheers Paul. Thanks for the critique. #1 is there because it was more in tune with my view on the theme, not because it was a great photo. When choosing my shots I need to be more critical and only post the best instead of letting you guys decide.

Thats what I love about this challenge it makes you think about every aspect of what you do to produce a shot, plus it gets me out every week. I'm gonna enjoy this year!(y)

Week 4 - Companions

Was lacking inspiration again so after a good night out and a little hungover I decided to go on a mission and see what could be seen. I managed to get week 4 and week 5 sorted say yay me!! (y)

I had a ball under the pier at St. Annes on the fylde coast. The wind was blowing and I think I got sand in every crack and crevice there is but I got some great shots. I'll be adding more to flickr soon.

Week 5 - Elegant

Ive been past these vents quite a few times and have said to myself that I needed to take some shots of these. On my inspiration mission the perfect opportunity presented itself and in my opinion they have a very elegant design.

Blackpool I believe. I saw them while there last weekend and took a few photographs myself. Your sky is better than mine was :)

I like the side light and it's well composed.

I think this one would look great as a long exposure. In fact, I just did a dirty edit and rather liked it.

Cheers.

Hi Phil

Companions works for me , the wind has given the sand a long exposure type feel which I really like :clap:

Elegant......yup, got a few shots of those as well....didn't realise they were vents....thought they were just abstract art (y)

Companions - Spot on, loving the composition. I wish I had scenery like that close to hand.

Elegant - Vents? What on earth are they vents for? I see them more on theme for Scenic, but regardless of theme, they are very nicely shot. The lighting and the silhouette effect is excellent.

I can see how this works for elegant. I agree about the exposure but some of your sky looks close to be over exposed so you'd have blown those highlight. I think as a silhouette it works well and helps with the elegance of the vents.

But I do have to agree with @LC2 ... Vents for what??

Blackpool I believe. I saw them while there last weekend and took a few photographs myself. Your sky is better than mine was :)

I like the side light and it's well composed.

I think this one would look great as a long exposure. In fact, I just did a dirty edit and rather liked it.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Companions; that I like, very nice image with or without the people. However, I would like the two companions a notch to the left.

Elegant; Again a nice shot. I thought it could do with a tad more exposure.

Thanks for your ideas Stan, I was wondering when I saw 'Elegant' on flickr whether it was a little dark.

Two fantastic shots. Companions reminds me a little of a painting by Jack Vetriano but in my opinion better. Big (y)

Cheers Chris I'll take a look at some of his work. (y)

Hi Phil

Companions works for me , the wind has given the sand a long exposure type feel which I really like :clap:

Elegant......yup, got a few shots of those as well....didn't realise they were vents....thought they were just abstract art (y)

Hi Lynne, yeah I really like the effect the wind had on the sand, and I'm sure I read somewhere that they were some kind of vent :thinking:

Companions - Spot on, loving the composition. I wish I had scenery like that close to hand.

Elegant - Vents? What on earth are they vents for? I see them more on theme for Scenic, but regardless of theme, they are very nicely shot. The lighting and the silhouette effect is excellent.

Thanks for dropping by Tim. I think they are part of a new water treatment facility on the promenade.Thanks for your comments.

I can see how this works for elegant. I agree about the exposure but some of your sky looks close to be over exposed so you'd have blown those highlight. I think as a silhouette it works well and helps with the elegance of the vents.

But I do have to agree with @LC2 ... Vents for what??

Hi Mike, I do like the silhouette effect on elegant the vents are to release gases from the water treatment centre I think.

Back