2014 Photo52 Challenge : Week 52 : Support

I think if there are more repeats of themes I did back in 2012 (we've had two so far already and we are only in week 10), I may draw new themes for myself. I'm not at all keen on doing re-shoots of themes I struggled with the first time around. For those of you who have been around the block a few times, it must be really difficult to come up with new ideas for a theme you've already completed several times in the past.

I think if there are more repeats of themes I did back in 2012 (we've had two so far already and we are only in week 10), I may draw new themes for myself. I'm not at all keen on doing re-shoots of themes I struggled with the first time around. For those of you who have been around the block a few times, it must be really difficult to come up with new ideas for a theme you've already completed several times in the past.

Fair point Nathalie, but I suppose there is only a finite number of themes out there. Of course there are an almost infinite number of words but I am not so sure I'd want to find a photograph for some more obscure words IYSWIM?

Right...that's me all caught up with commenting , Time shot taken,edited & posted so I have time to get out on the bike tomorrow :D I could get used to 2 day weekends instead of the normal 1 & plus a smidge !

As for the theme's....yup , been a battle so far this year but keep going....plenty of words still to come.....wonder if Juxtaposition got thrown back in the bag :eek:

Fair point Nathalie, but I suppose there is only a finite number of themes out there. Of course there are an almost infinite number of words but I am not so sure I'd want to find a photograph for some more obscure words IYSWIM?
I get that, but even if they were obscure, at least they would be new and would trigger a new thought process. If it's a theme I've done before, I don't only have my own but also everyone else's old entries in my head, which makes it real hard to come up with something that has not been done a number of times before. If we take Time as an example, I took a photo of a clock face last time, so that means the most obvious option is out for this year... I do have a few other ideas for the theme, but they are all weather dependent and some require me to have access to a car, which I do not unless I hire one. Within the time frame given (a week), it is highly unlikely that I will be able to execute any of these ideas. So my options are to fall behind, or submit a picture I probably wouldn't even be happy uploading to Flickr, let alone share on a photography forum.

I think for me, at this point, I'm not sure I want to continue. I don't want to take pictures I don't like just for the sake of shooting to a theme... I didn't join because I needed inspiration or a kick in the rear end. I take enough pictures as is, challenge or no challenge... Rather, I joined because I liked the basic format (one photo a week) and the idea of being part of a group. I do have to say, the people doing this are a great bunch and I appreciate the feedback so far. :love: If I don't complete the challenge, it will be because I'm fed up with the themes.

I understand completely where you are coming from @Nathalie, it would be a shame for that reason to give it up. Changing to your own themes and still doing the 52 would work. I feel though that a little of the community is lost with doing that though, what I mean is the theme in some way bonds us, we shoot to the theme and then go looking for what everyone else has done to that theme. Well I think that's a big part of it.
There's not much I can suggest but it would be a shame to lose you from the 52, here's hoping for some new and unique themes eh?

Time............
impatient.gif
........is ticking away :confused:

This is my 1st year doing this project so none of the themes are repeats for me but do find of the theme very vague and open to some rather strange interpetations, I think that the person who sets the themes (sorry I should know who this is) should buy themselves a book of nouns,as using nouns as themes would give little chance of going of theme, ie. a tree would be a photo of a tree and the photographer would have to put there own photo and editing skills to use to make it different, and surely that ia what this weekly challenge is about stretching ourselves and improving our skills

Oooh this sounds interesting, I've onlyjust joined the forum so please excuse me for missing weeks 1-9.....tho I may try to catch up :D

This is my 1st year doing this project so none of the themes are repeats for me but do find of the theme very vague and open to some rather strange interpetations, I think that the person who sets the themes (sorry I should know who this is) should buy themselves a book of nouns,as using nouns as themes would give little chance of going of theme, ie. a tree would be a photo of a tree and the photographer would have to put there own photo and editing skills to use to make it different, and surely that ia what this weekly challenge is about stretching ourselves and improving our skills
But leaving it open to interpretation means that you as the photographer, have to use your imagination in what to do for your shot.

I have struggled with some of the themes this year but thats just me going through a bad patch at the moment. I personally wouldn't want the themes to be all nouns as I like to see others interpetations and part of the challenge for me is to sometimes think out of the box. When I took part in 2012 some of my best work came from "strange interpretations" . For this weeks 'time' there is a wide scope and I have taken a shot very different to my 2012 entry. The challenge is what you want to make out of it. I've decided this year to not beat myself up if I enter late and to be more chilled about it - this can mean sometimes putting something in just to get it done. even though I've not been happy with some of my entries this year I've seen an improvement already and have got back into taking tabletop photography (especially flowers). I tried the POTY last year and didn't feel my photography moved on with the lack of feedback, the community on the 52 is great and helps to keep you going!

Changing to your own themes and still doing the 52 would work. I feel though that a little of the community is lost with doing that though, what I mean is the theme in some way bonds us, we shoot to the theme and then go looking for what everyone else has done to that theme. Well I think that's a big part of it.
Absolutely. If I did draw my own themes, I would not expect any feedback, for this very reason.

I like obscure and ambiguous themes, makes me think outside the box, as they say.

BTW, I have just tried to have another look at the spreadsheet for photo entries but it's asking me for a googlemail password; I don't have googlemail. Why is it suddenly asking me for account info that I don't have?

Edit:

...never mind, sorted it.

Last edited:
I tried doing a 52 on the edition38 car forum but once I fell back a few wks coz of shift changes at work I never picked it up again. I mean I work long hours now (6-6) and have 3 young boy to go home to so I tend to shoot on the wk ends or at nite, so I think of what I'm taking fri nite and try to get it done on the wk end and failing that I can fall bk to and easier one and take it at nite ready for the fri deadline. And am committed to keeping in this one, and I like to thing outside the box if I can (and have the time). I mean if we all did clocks for "time" it wouldn't help us or be very interesting?

Please!! What is a "TP Shoehorn" which has been mentioned to me - I asked on my thread but no one has answered it

Please!! What is a "TP Shoehorn" which has been mentioned to me - I asked on my thread but no one has answered it

It's when you try and make the photograph fit the theme, when there is no real connection.

Put another way: 2. to force [a photograph] into a limited or tight space [the theme].

Not something I'm guilty of, though :)

Cheers

Put another way: 2. to force [a photograph] into a limited or tight space [the theme].
Ask Iain, he loves the use of a shoehorn!

I was ready to start commenting tonight just as my boy had a massive reflux flare so sat cuddling him instead!

I'll be back soon to catch up.

Shoehorn Cliff for a little nudge of a photograph into theme, for anything more than a nudge, one would require the use of the crowbar :D

Ask Iain, he loves the use of a shoehorn!

I was ready to start commenting tonight just as my boy had a massive reflux flare so sat cuddling him instead!

I'll be back soon to catch up.

You cheeky minx, :D

LOL, I typed Iain but thought it was unfair.....which, of course, it wasn't :exit:

:)

You aren't any better :D

On another thread I asked how I should give critical comments regarding other peoples entries to the Challenge 52 thread. I have tried taking the advice given but find my comments are, at best, largely platitudes if I'm not keen on something or, at worst, inane attempts to make statements that will not upset the photographer. As of now, I have changed tack. I shall say exactly what I think of the photographs as they appear to me. This may result in the photographer not exactly appreciating my remarks but I will endeavour to state exactly why I do not like something and just as importantly exactly why I do like something. If I offend, please be assured that I do not make personal attacks and if I say unflattering things they are are not a reflection on the photographer.

I appreciate that I may get some harsh criticism on my own photographs as a result, c'est la vie, if I give it I must take it but I will defend my pictures if I disagree.

Here goes nothing...:exit:

On another thread I asked how I should give critical comments regarding other peoples entries to the Challenge 52 thread. I have tried taking the advice given but find my comments are, at best, largely platitudes if I'm not keen on something or, at worst, inane attempts to make statements that will not upset the photographer. As of now, I have changed tack. I shall say exactly what I think of the photographs as they appear to me. This may result in the photographer not exactly appreciating my remarks but I will endeavour to state exactly why I do not like something and just as importantly exactly why I do like something. If I offend, please be assured that I do not make personal attacks and if I say unflattering things they are are not a reflection on the photographer.

I appreciate that I may get some harsh criticism on my own photographs as a result, c'est la vie, if I give it I must take it but I will defend my pictures if I disagree.

Here goes nothing...:exit:

Or you could just google "how to critique a photograph".... There's LOADS of good advice out there. You seem to be making/taking it personal.

Or you could just google "how to critique a photograph".... There's LOADS of good advice out there. You seem to be making/taking it personal.

Perhaps, it's just that I don't think I'm telling it like it is to me. I have seen several shots that I think are just plain boring and have no artisitc merit at all but how does one say so nicely. What I might really want to say is "This picture suffers from camera shake, it is badly lit, poorly focused, the subject matter is only slightly linked to the theme, if at all, and in general was not worth the bother." How does one say that nicely, perhaps by adding "good effort though"? I think not.

Not saying anything is not really an alternative as I might miss commenting on a really good picture.

Really, the taking of photographs for this challenge is by far the easiest bit, regardless of theme. I think perhaps this issue is with me though, not the photography.

Perhaps, it's just that I don't think I'm telling it like it is to me. I have seen several shots that I think are just plain boring and have no artisitc merit at all but how does one say so nicely. What I might really want to say is "This picture suffers from camera shake, it is badly lit, poorly focused, the subject matter is only slightly linked to the theme, if at all, and in general was not worth the bother." How does one say that nicely, perhaps by adding "good effort though"? I think not.

Not saying anything is not really an alternative as I might miss commenting on a really good picture.

Really, the taking of photographs for this challenge is by far the easiest bit, regardless of theme. I think perhaps this issue is with me though, not the photography.

Giving crit is the easiest and hardest thing to do, IMO.

Anyone can go, "Good shot" and anyone can rip a photograph apart by saying "It's rubbish!". These comments help no-one.

Photography is to me more than a visual art, it's an emotional art, and sometimes a photograph does not move me at all. Does not make it a bad photogtraph, just 'doesn't work for me'.

I gave crit on a (none 52) photoraph in the 'unanswered posts' thread and I felt aweful as there was little I could say positive about it. The guy took it really well and thanked me for my honest feedback.

I always try and start with the good, then move onto the bad, then finish of with suggestions of ways to improve, even if it's something as simple as, "Have you thought about returning in better light?", or "How about a vertical composition". It's call 'crit sandwich' or something like that.

Overall, I feel the feedback on TP is lacking. I'm guilty of this as well, especially if I get behind with comments :(

I can always find something positive in a photograph, however seemingly trivial.

So....jump in and get busy with the crit sandwiches.

Bettergetbacktowork...:)

Cheers all.

Last edited:

I found it exhausting in the early days last year, no doubt I failed on some occasions to give good feedback.... It does get easier when there are less of you and much easier when you get to know a bit about each other.

Overall, I feel the feedback on TP is lacking. I'm guilty of this as well, especially if I get behind with comments :(

See my comment above!

Chests :cow:

Me too Marsha am trying to catch up systematically again now and hope to get around to everyone by the end of next week :D

Oh and get my time picture to work too :D

I shall say exactly what I think of the photographs as they appear to me. This may result in the photographer not exactly appreciating my remarks but I will endeavour to state exactly why I do not like something and just as importantly exactly why I do like something. If I offend, please be assured that I do not make personal attacks and if I say unflattering things they are are not a reflection on the photographer.
I would hope most people think honest crit is a GOOD thing... However, delivery is important. This is an online forum and all we have to go on is words on a computer screen. There's no facial expression or tone of voice to help us. So when leaving negative crit, it's a good idea to try and do it in a nice way. Make the person on the receiving end know that you have read their own thoughts on the photo and that you have taken all the facts into consideration. (This is not aimed at you Martin, just to be clear!) They're much more likely to listen if they're not so focused on defending themselves.

Sometimes people will get defensive and there's no way around it. If you're passionate about your photography, it's not easy having your work ripped to pieces, even when the comments are justified!

Andy put it well:
I always try and start with the good, then move onto the bad, then finish of with suggestions of ways to improve, even if it's something as simple as, "Have you thought about returning in better light?", or "How about a vertical composition". It's call 'crit sandwich' or something like that.

This is not a competition and even if it had been, I don't think many of us are actually qualified to judge photographic competitions. Sure, we are all entitled to an opinion, but aside from a few technical points, there rarely is a right and a wrong. Especially if we are talking about things like artistic elements. I would never dream of telling a fellow photographer they are devoid of any artistic talent, even if that was what I believed in my heart. Why? Because that would only be my opinion. Who am I to criticise their talent and ability and potentially ruin the joy they get from taking pictures? This I have no right to do.

Having said that, I do think some people are overdoing it on the nice... And not just a little. Maybe because they are afraid to offend or maybe because they do not want honest crit when it comes to their own photos. I can think of a few examples where a really poorly executed photo received plenty of positive only feedback... I know it's up to each and everyone of us to set our own rules, but is it so wrong to expect the photos to be properly exposed AND sharp (for screen size, this is not hard to achieve)? If these two basic requirements are not met, I couldn't care less whether it is on theme or not. Also, IMO, sometimes people get so caught up in shooting to a theme they forget the photos are supposed to be nice to look at too. Oh, and something I've found to be missing a lot of the time is some sort of description to go with the image... I did this because, I like x, not so happy with z because... from the photographers themselves. This was much more common in 2012 for some reason.

A little nudge to people receiving feedback... While you have every right to disagree with the comments you get, it starts to look quite bad if you always dismiss or flat out ignore any negative comments given, always assuming that you are right and the other person is wrong. I don't think it's necessary to respond to every single comment, as many will be similar and you can type out a general response, but if someone asks a question or offers specific advice and tries to help you, the very least you can do is acknowledge it. I say this because a few times when I have tried to help, I've been shot down immediately. For people claiming to want constructive criticism, I find this behaviour strange.

I may not be in this officially anymore (unofficially, I'm carrying on) but I'll be following/commenting on small bunch of peoples' photos for the remainder of the year.

So . . . Who's up for a challenge in 2014? :D

HOW IT WORKS

In its simplest form, every Saturday a theme is pulled at random from a bag and is posted in this thread. During the following week everyone taking part posts a photo of their interpretation of the theme in their own special 52 thread. There is no competition element to this, you simply shoot for your own enjoyment, progression and sense of achievement.

As it says above, there is no competition element, but it might be nice at the end of each month and then those monthly winners at the end of each year could be entered into a vote for 'Picture-of-the-52-Challenge awards'. Just a thought; it might keep up the interest for those that consider giving up.

well thats a surprise themes up already its only Thursday :thinking: or am I seeing things

Back