weekly 2015 52's by Summer - week 25 silhouette

I love the reflections in the watery sub-way :)

thanks guys, well I am babysitting with nowt much to do so I shall make a start on some crits :)

Hi YA

Watery....old shot it may be but it's spot on for the theme ,great colors...really messes with my head though(y)

Elegant ...think I'm prefering #1 for the hint of color......just wish the bottle was the other way round & the writing on the front ?

MMMM took we a while too to get it, but wasn't going to give up until I did. A superb choice for theme. Reflections look great.

Elegant: I like the angular bottle the most although in both cases the name on the bottle is hard to read but whether that's important or not I'm not sure.

Watery: That is one watery subway, nicely captured.

Elegant - #2 for me though it needs to be straightened a tad as it lists (minutely) to the right. Great choice for the theme with a nice crisp background.

Watery - I didn't 'get it' at first but on closer examination it's a very expressive picture captured just right (y)

)Hi ya
Playing catch up as usual:rolleyes:!
Winding back to Companions.... Really like this like the lighting and great use of DOF. Very colourful too. I always struggle with lighting indoors, partly why doing TP52!

Elegant. I like both of these shots but for me the round bottle Elegant (2) is the winner here for me. Its really nice I love the highlights and the blue ribs of light ringing the bottle looks great. I also like the little nests of bubbles running round the surface of the perfume in the bottle. Great shape and love the reflection. I think the lighting is spot on.
No2 (Angular Bottle) is also a good shot but I think its the colour highlights that pick out the No2 so well. On this (Angular Bottle) I think its the fluting of the glass means it hasn't got the clarity and impact of Elegant (2). That's not the photography I mean, its the subject. so Elegant (2) has eclipsed the (Angular Bottle).

Watery.....This is a cracker! what a riot of colour! I guess this around B/stoke somewhere you really caught that spot on, obviously just using the ambient light. Its a really fantastic reflection! sometimes its nice to have a flood;).
Cant believe there is actually a flickr group for B/stoke subways! I think that's beautifully exposed, well spotted and well shot! (you could almost use this for BOLD too!)

Hope your feeling better now.... I had the plague all over Christmas it wasn't fun.:(

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
thanks for the comments everyone

I originally used the angular bottle because of its art deco style which I always think of as the height of elegance :)

If you're from B'Stoke Steve this subway is the one that goes from Thrifty car rental (Mortimer lane) to Church square in town, under Timberlake road.

here's another view of the flooded subway

no boats
by moominmama, on Flickr

Two great takes on the Watery theme really well done, love the colours on the first one

Elegant - A pair of good sharp photos with nice highlights.

Watery - Vey good. I like this a lot (y) Great reflections of the vivid colours. Well seen.

thanks for the comments everyone

I originally used the angular bottle because of its art deco style which I always think of as the height of elegance :)

If you're from B'Stoke Steve this subway is the one that goes from Thrifty car rental (Mortimer lane) to Church square in town, under Timberlake road.

here's another view of the flooded subway

no boats
by moominmama, on Flickr

Hi Ya!
Yes I'm in Basingstoke.... Oh yes I recognise where it is now you have said. Quite a flood, looking at the handrails its quite deep! (nice Contrasty B&W there!).
Nice Work Summer.

ok so another old one for bold - this is my friend's daughter Alex. Bold for two reasons:

1. her hair and make-up (extremely bold to go about like this in Basingstoke lol)
2. this was taken just before she got her head shaved for charity

one last selfie
by moominmama, on Flickr

and here is the finished result:

alex
by moominmama, on Flickr

Hi, I think of the two images the second one works better, I quite like the harsh lighting,
but I suppose the theme maybe conveyed better with the bold red hair in the first one but I am sticking with 2

oops the 2nd one was just to show you the result of her head shave :)

Bold, I would never shave my head! ;)

Brave girl, very bold in all senses (y)

(My mate from Oxford Pronounces Bald, Bold lol)

#2 is a stunning shot and thought so when I saw it on flickr yesterday. Certainly BOLD to shave her head for charity :clap::clap::clap:

Both work brilliantly and i would never have spotted it was the same girl. But then again i'm not very observant i would probably miss members of my own family in a line up.

thanks guys :) I am contemplating my relax pic but it might mean a selfie of sorts :eek: :coldfeet:

That sure is a bold colour for hair. I dont think I could rock such a bright hair colour. I tried bleaching my hair long ago when I was 16...needless to say, I haven't touched hair dye since!

thanks Rob & Mandy

a bit late but now onto week 8 - relax

to relax hair means to make straight :)

this is my first ever selfie, and also my first ever portrait, and with no-one to sit for me, getting the light and focus correct were difficult to say the least. I think I needed a head-on light but I was getting fed up so this is my finished result :)

week 8 - relax
by moominmama, on Flickr

Last edited:
relax - Well I am not a expert in lighting matters yet, but I think you have done very well with this image so well done. I get the connection to the theme and I have curly hair as well so I always have my straighteners on the go. I think the image is well thought out and well put together and for your first self portrait I think you deserve a pat on the back for your efforts.

thanks Mandy, I did want an expression of some sort rather than just a plain face. I have a better one but the shadows are worse :(

to relax hair means to make straight :)
Everyday's a school day here :)
I never knew that, but again, why should I? :D
An interesting interpretation Summer :)

heh, nowt like being different :p is a curly girls' thang innit

heh, nowt like being different :p is a curly girls' thang innit
:D
I also forgot to add that it looks like you are saying "FFS! not again" :D

relax - nice take on the theme (I never knew about relaxing hair either) and for a first self portrait you've done really well - I can sympathise, I avoid being in front of a camera at all costs :)

hmm, only 3 comments on this one, does that mean folk aren't seeing my submissions, or is the picture too awful to look at lol :ROFLMAO::mooning:

Relaxing your hair certainly isn't the calming passtime it's name would have you believe!
Gave up trying ages ago :LOL:
Nice take on it Summer :)

This is a lovely bit of drama, kinda beeb sitcom, more than just a photo. :clap:

It actually says unrelaxed to me but that doesn't matter.

does anyone have any tips on the lighting? I can see shadows on the front of my nose and some that make my eyes look tired, just wondering if I needed a light face-on too, or maybe the lights I used should have been higher? I had them more or less on a level with my head - one on each side approx 45 degrees :)

Nice selfie and great expression.
Also another one for the I never knew that club. But my receding hairline i have no need to worry about straightening.

does anyone have any tips on the lighting? I can see shadows on the front of my nose and some that make my eyes look tired, just wondering if I needed a light face-on too, or maybe the lights I used should have been higher? I had them more or less on a level with my head - one on each side approx 45 degrees :)

To avoid shadows on your face Summer, lighting straight on would certainly achieve this.
Try 'clamshell' lighting, two lights or one light and a reflector positioned facing you or your subject.
Position one light high, facing downwards, about 45 degrees or thereabouts and either another light or reflector underneath, again at roughly 45 degrees.
This set up is effectively flat lighting, but it would minimise the tired eyes look that you mention. HTH

Hi there ...I can't believe this is my first visit to your thread, I must keep up!

Most eye catching for me are your Fragile, Watery, and Bold shots, all absolute smashers.

Well done with your selfie for Relax too ....I'm sure it's not easy to adopt a pose just at the right second.

Back