2015 Photo52 Challenge : WEEK 52 we finally made it and its "Christmas" into the bargain

Not sure how I can shoe-horn using my newly acquired macro lens which arrived today?!

Perhaps an image of a bug relaxing? Or a particularly chilled spider?

What lens did you buy Paul? After the comments regarding my delicate image, I went and bought a Tamron 90mm f2.8 1:1 macro lens, not had much chance to try it yet though.

Phil

What lens did you buy Paul? After the comments regarding my delicate image, I went and bought a Tamron 90mm f2.8 1:1 macro lens, not had much chance to try it yet though.

Phil

Hiya Phil

I couldn't justify a macro lens on its own, even though I wanted one. I do shot a lot of portrait length stuff, and I'd have loved to buy a fast 70mm lens but finding an f/1.4 or similar at that focal length (for Pentax) is prohibitive. And, anyway, I have my medium format camera which delivers the equivalent of f/1.4 at 110mm (or 55mm in "full frame" speak), and that focuses very close if I need it.

When I was half contemplating a macro lens, I also couldn't decide on 50mm or 100mm... it seemed like a fair chunk to spend on one or t'other and then worry that I'd bought the "wrong" one!

So I opted for a compromise of sorts: I went for a Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro. The reviews suggest it is razor sharp even wide open (comparable to Pentax's beautiful 70mm Limited lens) but is a bit of a crossover being both 1:1 for macro purposes and fast enough for most portrait shots. In fact, there's an argument to say it's too sharp to be an ideal portrait lens, but that's easily fixable with my dodgy focusing technique ;)

The Tamron is a lovely lens from what I'd read when researching... I felt it was just a touch too long for me to use for most portait stuff as I tend to shoot that between about 60 and 70mm. We'll have fun playing with our toys though!

Relax? Hmmmm....

Frankie goes to Hollywood" anyone? :D

Please I beg you do not dress up in studs, black leather and a whip lol
But... but.... but....
It is Friday, and a man's gotta have a hobby :D

I'm like a train in a track...Once I have an idea, I have to see it through :)

Jack and me are having a meeting tonight so you are safe for at least another 24 hours.....or maybe not :naughty:
That IS what I was concerned about !!!

OMG where has a week gone? Been UK side on a flying 'visit as many relatives/ friends as possible' week! It certainly wasn't relaxing! But wish I had checked last night, as we had a night in a hotel before flying back today. I could have got a great shot last night :bat:

Hey guys, I struggled to get out this week but have an idea or two for bold and relax. Hopefully this weekend will be more productive.

I tend not to look at current theme threads before I post mine up as I want my ideas to be mine without being to influenced by what I see on here. So apologies for not getting around to your threads. I'm finding it much easier this time around not putting pressure on myself to visit each and every thread and trying to make a comment. I know that the critique is what helps us become better at our craft but it was that which bogged me down on the previous 52 that I attempted.

Saying that I look forward to seeing what you have all come up with over the past week. (y)

I'll be out with my 18-200mm, longest I've got. Sure to find some idle people relaxing somewhere: Romanians in shop doorways, that sort of thing.

I would be grateful if someone can throw some light on this question that's come up on my thread ....my shot this week had a white halo which Andy @posiview kindly corrected by using 'auto white balance in Lightroom'.

@sturisoma and @d00d have asked the following:

sturisoma said:

So does anyone know what causes this halo effect? Best way to avoid it? I am interested to know :)

d00d said
Me too!
And I think there's another name for it. I'd like to know because I [susie too] use Paint.net for PeePeeing, and I can't google the right tool to fix it without knowing its proper name.

Thank yooooo :)

Last edited:
I'm really struggling with this new theme :(

A quick pop in from me again ladies and gents, and the others... I have updated the sheet and there is some excellent shots for the 'Relax' theme already, it's a high bar set already :clap:

Any chance of posting a link to the spreadsheet please Deano? I can't find it.

Back