weekly aljazzeras 2013 52-week 52 WATER added COMPLETE

certainly an interesting and novel idea, love the details in the letters themselves, without this - ie just a plain font - the image could have been rather dull.

Kind of agree about the DOF - either all the letters in, or just one.

Like the shadows there too, (y)

I like this as it is. For me my eye is drawn to the letter E straight away for some reason then gets pulled through the rest of the image. The shadow def adds to it for me.

I like the effect and composition, maybe a harsher light to give stronger shadows would help it stand out a bit more.

I really like the gradual falloff of focus, letter by letter. It also gives the impression of blending with the background as you follow it along. Works well for me.

I like the second Juxtaposition (I didn't really see the connection in the first one, but I still liked the picture).

Letter is good, perhaps a lower angle might have been a better viewpoint. The majority of pictures are always taken looking down on a subject so it's nice to see some at camera level once in a while. :)

Second submission for juxtaposition is very good, nicely composed and to me more in theme. I like your entry for letter, its very original and nicely set out but agree would have focussed more on one letter.

electric by allanhowe, on Flickr

Off on Holiday for a few days on Monday to the Cotswolds so might not have the time for anything else so a quick shot for this week, might find something else while I'm away

A good early post Allan (y)

I like the colour tones in here, especially the upper most guitar, good use of leading lines in the composition with the strings leading the viewers eye through.

Hi Allan

Letter.....that is a really really lovely shot...very simple but ever so effective m, I like the DOF as it leads my eye through the word , like the high key type lighting & the shadow gives a sense of depth....:clap:

Electric.....very nice...you've caught the tones in the wood really well , for shiny items you've controlled the highlights spot on...(y) Only minor niggle is the slight cropping of the metal plate with the knobs on ( sorry , don't know the technical term for them )

Emjoy the Cotswolds matey (y)

Ahh....you beat me to it ;)
Hmmm...thinking of another idea for electric now

You obviously love your guitars and polish them a lot, but I worry for the finish on your telecaster with the other one sat on top!

No real crit from me, I like it. The control plate on the telecaster being slightly obscured doesn't bother me at all

A good early post Allan (y)

I like the colour tones in here, especially the upper most guitar, good use of leading lines in the composition with the strings leading the viewers eye through.

Thanks Iain

Hi Allan

Letter.....that is a really really lovely shot...very simple but ever so effective m, I like the DOF as it leads my eye through the word , like the high key type lighting & the shadow gives a sense of depth....:clap:

Electric.....very nice...you've caught the tones in the wood really well , for shiny items you've controlled the highlights spot on...(y) Only minor niggle is the slight cropping of the metal plate with the knobs on ( sorry , don't know the technical term for them )

Emjoy the Cotswolds matey (y)

Thanks Lynne

Ahh....you beat me to it ;)
Hmmm...thinking of another idea for electric now

You obviously love your guitars and polish them a lot, but I worry for the finish on your telecaster with the other one sat on top!

No real crit from me, I like it. The control plate on the telecaster being slightly obscured doesn't bother me at all

It was only on there a couple of mins, I was a bit worried it might slip and they were only polished for this pic :LOL:

Last edited:
Hi Allan :)

Sorry... looks like I'm miles behind on comments too :coat:

Wild - That's a great shot, love the way he is looking into the shot, wires don't seem too apparent, so well done (y)

Space - Love the low angle, nice straight horizon, nice rough sea and wide open sky too... perfect :)

Work - Seem to have done that one :thinking:

Gluttony - Seem to have been there too... well in spirit anyway :D

Cracking shot that, amazed how much gear you have squeezed into the shot :nuts:

Time - That's an odd building... nothing else to add except like the wide angle of the shot

Juxtaposition - Done that too... flip en heck I'm all over the shop, must be the vodka

Letter - Nice idea, but feel the angle of the letters go off a bit, would have preferred all in focus, shadows are fine for me :)

Electric - Now that is a cracker :clap:

Love the colours and the way the two guitars are laid out, no crit from me at all (y)

liking the guitars here Allan, great contrasts in a number of different areas that pull it together, the straight of the strings with the curves of the sides, dark wood and light wood, dark shadows and shiny highlights and texture in the wood, against the smooth shiny metal.

Great job.

Composition on that really works for me. Lovely and sharp too, with the detail in the wood on the Gordon Smith?... really popping out. As others have said, it's a book cover... well done if that's what you were aiming for.(y)

Nice to see them all in focus and no weird blurring :)

Lovely colours and details

A beautiful day in the Cotswolds today. Try and get into Burford church its a beauty

Hi, I always wanted to be able to play an instrument, alas never got around to it.

Electric, well lit, nice tones and detail. I think I'd prefer just the one guitar.

I do like the curves, though.

Cheers.

Hi Allan :)

Sorry... looks like I'm miles behind on comments too :coat:

Wild - That's a great shot, love the way he is looking into the shot, wires don't seem too apparent, so well done (y)

Space - Love the low angle, nice straight horizon, nice rough sea and wide open sky too... perfect :)

Work - Seem to have done that one :thinking:

Gluttony - Seem to have been there too... well in spirit anyway :D

Cracking shot that, amazed how much gear you have squeezed into the shot :nuts:

Time - That's an odd building... nothing else to add except like the wide angle of the shot

Juxtaposition - Done that too... flip en heck I'm all over the shop, must be the vodka

Letter - Nice idea, but feel the angle of the letters go off a bit, would have preferred all in focus, shadows are fine for me :)

Electric - Now that is a cracker :clap:

Love the colours and the way the two guitars are laid out, no crit from me at all (y)

Thank you

liking the guitars here Allan, great contrasts in a number of different areas that pull it together, the straight of the strings with the curves of the sides, dark wood and light wood, dark shadows and shiny highlights and texture in the wood, against the smooth shiny metal.

Great job.

thanks

Very Nice guitar shot, looks like a book cover. Well done. (y)

thanks

Composition on that really works for me. Lovely and sharp too, with the detail in the wood on the Gordon Smith?... really popping out. As others have said, it's a book cover... well done if that's what you were aiming for.(y)

Thanks Its a Gibson

Nice to see them all in focus and no weird blurring :)

Lovely colours and details

A beautiful day in the Cotswolds today. Try and get into Burford church its a beauty

didn't get to see this reply till today so missed out on the church pity

Hi, I always wanted to be able to play an instrument, alas never got around to it.

Electric, well lit, nice tones and detail. I think I'd prefer just the one guitar.

I do like the curves, though.

Cheers.

its never too late to learn I started when i was in my forties

Direction by allanhowe, on Flickr

"You were between the devil and the deep blue sea. If you go forward, you`ll likely be shot, if you go back you`ll be court-martialed and shot, so what the hell do you do? What can you do? You just go forward because that`s the only bloke you can take your knife in, that`s the bloke you are facing".

Private W Hay.

Thought I would shoehorn this one in, it was taken a few days ago.

Last edited:
great to have a shot ready to go and on theme :)
love the silhouette and dark blue of the sky. I think the quote really adds to it as well.

did you see what it might look like by cropping the pedestal out too?

Hi Allan

Electric - well composed and spot on theme. Good contrast between the colours of the 2 guitars. Strong diags and sinuous curves. Some ,light fall off in the corners - is that an added vignette? As others have said, very clean, clear and bright.

Direction - I think that you must hold the lead in this year's Challenge for posting withn 24 hours of the theme being announced. (y) Lovely image, beautiful sky , good comp and on theme with or without the quote as he looks in the direction of the lightening sky - hope for the future, perhaps and very moving. Quote is icing on the cake - excellent words from what was probably a very ordinary bloke. I would leave the plinth, maybe just the slightest bit off the bottom to eliminate that small amount sticking out on the right . Top shot - I would have that on my wall. :clap:

Gluttony - lots of items in the picture but so well composed it does not look crowded

Time - this needed the explanation as could not see the link to start with, cracking architectural shot though

Letter - you mean you created all those letters, they look very ornate, well done

Electric - now why didn't I think of that :)

Juxtaposition, did not get the feather as kept looking for the second object - till I realised what you had done . The second version really needs a sign in the window to make it really complete, something along the lines of undertaker

Direction - you have caught a beautiful sunset and agree about removing the plinth - I was wondering where you where to have seen the sun set, let alone this early till I saw your comment

Hi, Allan, Direction, love it, as ex Army, you've done really will with this. Taken during the day it would be very average, but the colour in the sky and sollhouetteish soldier :clap:

The narrative brings a tear to my eye.

Thanks.

great to have a shot ready to go and on theme :)
love the silhouette and dark blue of the sky. I think the quote really adds to it as well.

did you see what it might look like by cropping the pedestal out too?

I did try a number of crops settled on this one

Hi Allan

Electric - well composed and spot on theme. Good contrast between the colours of the 2 guitars. Strong diags and sinuous curves. Some ,light fall off in the corners - is that an added vignette? As others have said, very clean, clear and bright.

Direction - I think that you must hold the lead in this year's Challenge for posting withn 24 hours of the theme being announced. (y) Lovely image, beautiful sky , good comp and on theme with or without the quote as he looks in the direction of the lightening sky - hope for the future, perhaps and very moving. Quote is icing on the cake - excellent words from what was probably a very ordinary bloke. I would leave the plinth, maybe just the slightest bit off the bottom to eliminate that small amount sticking out on the right . Top shot - I would have that on my wall. :clap:

Thats nice of you to say :)

Gluttony - lots of items in the picture but so well composed it does not look crowded

Time - this needed the explanation as could not see the link to start with, cracking architectural shot though

Letter - you mean you created all those letters, they look very ornate, well done

Electric - now why didn't I think of that :)

Juxtaposition, did not get the feather as kept looking for the second object - till I realised what you had done . The second version really needs a sign in the window to make it really complete, something along the lines of undertaker

Direction - you have caught a beautiful sunset and agree about removing the plinth - I was wondering where you where to have seen the sun set, let alone this early till I saw your comment

Thanks the second juxtaposition shot the building was a dentists :puke:

Hi, Allan, Direction, love it, as ex Army, you've done really will with this. Taken during the day it would be very average, but the colour in the sky and sollhouetteish soldier :clap:

The narrative brings a tear to my eye.

Thanks.

Thanks much appreciated

Great shot, lovely to have the big sky he's looking out into - well done for keeping detail in the rear side of the soldier. And great colurs captured in the sky.

Even though it wasn't taken within the timeframe for the theme... I think we can let that slide... :naughty: :)

FWIW, I don't see a benefit from removing the plinth - he needs something to stand on or he'd be too close to the bottom of the frame and you'd get crit for cropping too close to his feet.

That's a beauty, nothing needs changing for me.

I probably wouldn't have made the connection without the passage, but would have enjoyed it nontheless.

Hi Allan, shoe horned maybe and I wouldn't have got it without the quote. But it's a lovely shot, nicely silhouetted against a ominously beautiful sky.

Life is so very different in the armed forces these days, you can't begin to imagine what these men went through.

A little crowbarred into theme Alan but that doesn't detract from what is a strong image with the words making it quite thought provoking.

No crit from me, I think it is perfect just as you have presented it. Good work (y)

Juxtaposition....Both fit the theme but I prefer the second as it's a little more obvious.

Letter....I think the focus would have worked better selecting a single letter with the rest oof.

Electric...A bit busy for me, just one guitar would have worked better.

Direction....Lovely sky and just enough detail so it's not a complete silhouette.

Tacky

tacky by allanhowe, on Flickr

well I thought so, not mine by the way

Have settled on this re edited between the light and the dark one

Last edited:
Yes I know what you mean about it being a little dark I added a lot of PP to it to try and make it even more tacky heres a lighter version

Please see picture above

Last edited:
That's not tacky :D

Well spotted. Nicely composed and I can't decide which I prefer. Think I'll opt for #1 despite the darkness. Perhaps a slight dodge of the head? I might be tempted to up the saturation for added tackiness.

And a photograph of you to. What's the red bit on the right?

Cheers.

That's not tacky :D

Well spotted. Nicely composed and I can't decide which I prefer. Think I'll opt for #1 despite the darkness. Perhaps a slight dodge of the head? I might be tempted to up the saturation for added tackiness.

And a photograph of you to. What's the red bit on the right?

Cheers.
Have tried a dodge of the head didn't really work looked a bit odd, originally i had the saturation right up but decided against that too, its awful this 52 lark trying to please people I go through many crops etc, not much of a photo of me about the best you will get though. The red bit is probably flowers it was taken in a graveyard I didn't want to mention that so keep it to yourself (y)

its awful this 52 lark trying to please people I go through many crops etc,

:)

I would say don't bother and please yourself!
of course listen and learn and take that on into the next shot, but its too easy to get fixated on something you've already done and it can take the enjoyment out of it a bit if you're not careful imho :shake:

Hi Allan :wave:

Direction: Great composition but a little dark for me. Sky is a bit heavy nevertherless, well executed and original. (y)

Tacky: Great shot with lighter version. Well in theme. Good use of depth of field and focus.

Back