weekly aljazzera's 52 week challenge week 52 BUSY added

Well on theme, never played the game though :thinking:

I like your random shot; nicely taken and exposed, and on theme. I've never seen that game; the pigs look tiny.

I like both of those a lot. I think they're equally good photo's, but number one says temperature to me more than two does.

I love the sky in the base of the glass in two, as well as the colour of the wood complementing the glass.

In one, you've got the focus and DoF spot on for the theme, and the exposure is perfect. I love the catch lights in his eyes :)

Only tiny crit is the green "hat" that Oscar is wearing, which is a tiny bit distracting, but to be honest only on a second look because the tongue draws your eyes as it should when you first look.

Brilliant work!

Hi Allan

Random - 2 little pigs.. very random, agree that a bit of movement would have looked cool, the background looks a very good black on my monitor and the pink good and vibrant

Temperature - I'm liking the second myself, a good mix of temperatures, the Ice, liking the bubbles in the glass, the reflection in the glass is very nice and nice dof on the table, a slightly lighter background would look great

Oscar, what a great looking dog, a very nice photo, and with the dof and focal point on his tongue, great for the theme

Last edited:
Random - I like the nice lighting and positioning of the pigs on this

Temperature - Both are nice shots and with two panting spaniels in the house I understand the link to the theme on #1. I do prefer #2 though. Great DoF and a sharpness on the glass that makes it looks like you could reach out and pick it up

Hi, there, Random, never seen the game before. Pigs....gotta love them...:D Just the BG detracts a tad for me...I'd like it black and few bits of fluff on the top.

Temperature....#1, I did wonder what a closer crop would look like but prefer yours. Some nice colours in the fur.

#2, the first thing I was drawn to was the cracking details in the base of the glass. I agree with Peter...feel like I can reach out and grab it. Slight crop/clone re the lower left corner, maybe.

Cheers.

Hi Allan,

Random, is very random indeed! I've not heard of that game either.

Temperature, I like both. I think the glass shot would look 'hotter' if there was condensation running down the glass, it would compliment the blue sky reflection! But then ice is cold too, so you could choose either side of the temperature scale! My only crit is the bottom left corner of the table, I would clone/ crop that out.

(y) for still being here.

Temperature - No 1 great focus on the tongue and nice depth of field throwing the eyes out of focus. However, my preference on this weeks theme is for No 2. I like the sharp focus on the bubbles / ice and your off set composition. Nick (y)

Hi Allan

Love that glass shot for Temperature , DOF is just great , cracking reflection of blue sky in the base , bubbles & cubes caught well....great work mister :clap:

Cute pooch as well , focus just right & a great idea for the theme (y)

Good to see you still with us...one of the hardcore you are :clap:

#2 for me for all the reasons above ... it was my first idea but couldn't get my beer to generate the condensation on the jar!

Abstract by allanhowe, on Flickr

Abstract by allanhowe, on Flickr

I thought this would be fun and it was :thinking: I found it hard to get a pic I liked i kept doubting what abstract actually means. I have about 8 pics in a set on flickr I couldn't decide on, but in the end one of these maybe:shrug:

Hi Allan, I like these two pics and think they do cover abstract. I'm glad you also doubted what abstract is - I also stuggled with this, I think I over think things sometimes!!

I prefer #1 but wonder what it would look like with a tighter crop and a bit of a straighten!

#2 is a good angle and well spotted but again I'm wondering about a slightly tighter crop and maybe a touch more contrast.

Well done on spotting these, I'm sure they can't of been easy to take with all the shiny surfaces!:)

I'll pop over and look at your others on flickr!

Hi Allan, apologies here I'm trying to catch up with missing the last 10 weeks :(

Authority - do like the composition of this one, looks very imposing, and the b&w conversion is excellent

Leave - I see the idea but it's too tightly cropped, and although I'm a sucker for a gorgeous shot of a jack russell, I'd rather see the other side than the backside.

Random - certainly bang on theme, well lit and works well with the black background

Temperature - 2 excellent shots both bang on theme, and the right view of the dog :). Of the 2 I do prefer the 2nd one.

Abstract - again 2 excellent pics and both bang on theme (y)

Hi Allan, I like these two pics and think they do cover abstract. I'm glad you also doubted what abstract is - I also stuggled with this, I think I over think things sometimes!!

I prefer #1 but wonder what it would look like with a tighter crop and a bit of a straighten!

#2 is a good angle and well spotted but again I'm wondering about a slightly tighter crop and maybe a touch more contrast.

Well done on spotting these, I'm sure they can't of been easy to take with all the shiny surfaces!:)

I'll pop over and look at your others on flickr!

Thanks for the comments

No1 was about the 3rd crop I tried getting tighter and tighter

No 2 i left at it is I quite like the space around it, but on looking a bit tighter would be better

Hi Allan, apologies here I'm trying to catch up with missing the last 10 weeks :(

Authority - do like the composition of this one, looks very imposing, and the b&w conversion is excellent

Leave - I see the idea but it's too tightly cropped, and although I'm a sucker for a gorgeous shot of a jack russell, I'd rather see the other side than the backside.

Random - certainly bang on theme, well lit and works well with the black background

Temperature - 2 excellent shots both bang on theme, and the right view of the dog :). Of the 2 I do prefer the 2nd one.

Abstract - again 2 excellent pics and both bang on theme (y)

Thank you I also prefer the other view of a Jack Russell but that seems to be the view i see most of both of them:)

Number 2 for me Allan, perhaps a bit of a crop. For some reason I am wondering how the cheese grater would look flipped upside down

Thank you. Feel free to flip the cheese grater i am done with it (y)

I definitely like these Allan. #1 is my favourite. You've done well with this and have even picked up the grain in the metal.

Thank you

Hi Allan
Random - Not seen this game but fits the theme well
Temperature - I think the dog is an excellent idea with emphasise on the tongue. I dont mind the eyes being OOF in this context. My vote is for #2 conveying ice cold and warm with the blue sky, just needed shadow from the glass to show sunny.
Abstract - Good interpretation and agree about difficulty in determining what abstract covers

Temperature: Love the Jack Russell picture, I've a big soft spot for Jacks. Good shot.

Abstract: Both are well shot.

Hi Allan
Random - Not seen this game but fits the theme well
Temperature - I think the dog is an excellent idea with emphasise on the tongue. I dont mind the eyes being OOF in this context. My vote is for #2 conveying ice cold and warm with the blue sky, just needed shadow from the glass to show sunny.
Abstract - Good interpretation and agree about difficulty in determining what abstract covers

Thanks

Hi Allan, I think these two are great abstract shots. Number one could do with a little straighten though! Oh what is it? I really like number two as it is(y)

thanks it's a cheese grater

Temperature: Love the Jack Russell picture, I've a big soft spot for Jacks. Good shot.

Abstract: Both are well shot.

Thanks

Random - I've played Pass the Pigs, fair few years ago but I do remember it being a bit random. Nice black background.

Temperature - both good, nice details on the dog. But the drink one is for me. Good shot, angle works well and looks very tempting.

Abstract - another excellent couple of shots. #2 is great, good shine and effect.

Hi Allan

2 cracking images for Abstract...#2 works for me as Symetry as well (y)

Think I'm edging towards #2....simple clean lones , almost mono...I'd have cropped in close to fill the frame....but as said before , what do I know about croppng :LOL:

Wow! Very symmetrical, and suits b/w in my opinon. The two headstones on the right which are actually different don't distract from the effect. (y)

Symmetry is a good idea and a well taken shot but I think that you have included too many headstones, couple of which are not the same, hence dilutes the theme IMO.

Hi Allan

Abstract - both original ideas, well executed. prefer #1 the grater because the patina of the metal adds to the theme and the depth of the holes is very abstract because it is hard to assess whether the cutting edges are coming out or going back. Really like it as a shot and a theme idea.(y)

#2 - whisk - good compostion but seems to lack impact on my monitor.

Symmetry - #1 very good. I notice the different type of headstones to the right and left hand edges but only because I am looking for any lack of symmetry, given the theme. But that is being really picky about a very good shot.:clap:

#2 looks a bit messy with the foliage and looking closely it has similar symmetry difficulties as the first. So definitely #1 for me

yep first for me too, very well done and the extra stones don't take away from the symmetry imho :clap:

Yes, I think that is much better.

Glad you like it

Hi Allan

Abstract - both original ideas, well executed. prefer #1 the grater because the patina of the metal adds to the theme and the depth of the holes is very abstract because it is hard to assess whether the cutting edges are coming out or going back. Really like it as a shot and a theme idea.(y)

#2 - whisk - good compostion but seems to lack impact on my monitor.

Symmetry - #1 very good. I notice the different type of headstones to the right and left hand edges but only because I am looking for any lack of symmetry, given the theme. But that is being really picky about a very good shot.:clap:

#2 looks a bit messy with the foliage and looking closely it has similar symmetry difficulties as the first. So definitely #1 for me

thanks

yep first for me too, very well done and the extra stones don't take away from the symmetry imho :clap:

Thanks

Back