weekly Bernd's 52 of 2016 - week 52: Celebrate added and done

I'm massively behind on comments - sorry!
Flora - Haha! Somebody had to! Nothing much wrong here - bit of a shame the lid is cropped, but it doesn't detract much overall. Interesting table cloth too btw! ;)

Very good catch up, love your simple photo great colours and textures.

Hi Bernd

Loving your Tate entrance, but find those fence things RHS distracting.

Size ... bit too OOF in FG perhaps?

Forgotten's a beaut, love that crop.

Stone ... nice work.

Simple ... certainly is.

Sign ... nice find, bit distorted, and I think I would have cropped the glass up top.

Flora ... consider yourself reprimanded. But masses of detail there.

Hi Bernd

Sensible choice of shot for Entrance but I'm not a fan of the framing / composition. The intrusion of the barriers on the right, the tree and corner of the wall on the left all distract for me. It's not necessarily about getting in closer, more just choosing a shot which doesn't have these constraints perhaps? Looks a touch squinty too!
Size: works well and nice subject. Composition here is better, although I'd have tried to get that stick out of frame :) Interesting choice of DOF to throw the nearest juvenile out of focus - I might have been tempted to go for front-back sharpness if possible, but that might not have led to a stronger image.
Forgotten: nice simply image. Good processing and I like the comp here.
Stone: almost identical comments! Simple is good here (y)
I like simple... it is just that but engages you to look at it for longer. The lighting, DOF and composition all work in your favour here. For such a simple subject, it's an interesting image. My favourite so far.
Sign is fantastic! Love it :clap:
Reshoot is an interesting spot and capture is solid.
Flora is you getting into trouble I see ;) Well captured and reasonably well lit, but quite a bit going on... might have been stronger with a plainer surface? Framing is interesting and I'd definitely have experimented with other options but I think your framing/comp does work...

Good catch up!

Hi Bernd ....good to see you're still here and I've really enjoyed looking a your catch up, I'm so pleased you did the Flora one :) and I really like the tablecloth, if that's what it is.

My other favourite is the gravestones and the waving grass ....fabulous, and perfect choice in the black and white.

Hi Bernd,
Entrance - I must get around to popping over to the Tate Modern now that "The Tanks" are open, the view from the 10th floor will be interesting to see and isn't restricted by glass (unlike The Shard). There is a little bit of vertical distortion going on in the shot which you may have been able to fix with one of the perspective corrections.
Size - Quite a fun shot with the three goslings all in almost the same pose. must have taken some time and patience to get that shot.
Forgotten - Definitely on theme. The B&W processing suits the image of a forgotten, abandoned graveyard. (Mayeb add some fake mist ;) )
Stone - Great shot. Good choice not to go B&W.
Simple - Err. No idea what that is, but it is colourful!
Sign - Haha, Surely Soho isn't the red light district it once was, it's very much cleaned up these days. Good find for that sign. A bit of lens correction needed...
Re-Shoot - No really? I would never have guessed ;) A bit of distracting reflections in the windows, probably can't be avoided, but I prefer your original for Entrance.
Flora - I thought @Cobra forbade spreads for flora ;) Wy is it the first thing I did was look to see where that railway line on the map ran (It's the west London Line).

Thank you all for your helpful comments!

and I really like the tablecloth, if that's what it is.
It's not a tablecloth, it's a tea towel, printed with historic ordnance survey maps :)

Flora - I thought @Cobra forbade spreads for flora ;) Wy is it the first thing I did was look to see where that railway line on the map ran (It's the west London Line).
I've already been told off by Mr Cobra... :cool:

That's a lovely image Bernd - lots of action, detail and colour and the pano is perfect for the subject.

Looks like I'm going to be going against the grain here, but to me that's more of a landscape image which happens to have a game of football in the middle ground.
I guess you've gone for a non obvious take on the theme, but sorry, not for me.

Hmm I think I agree with Tim its more a landscape shot. If you were closer in on the game it would be more of a activity image

Thank you for your comments!

I have to agree Walter, Tim and Mark, more landscape than activity... My excuse: I didn't have the right camera and lens with me :cool:

Well there is activity there even if my eyes are drawn to the buildings ... I think those blocks have been renovated since I was last there.

I'm so behind on comments - sorry! I think stone and simple are by far my favourites here. There's a lot to hold the eye and very thoughtful composition. The blue in simple is wonderful. I just can't make up my mind about the geese shot - so well timed but I don't think the dof quite works for me. I am SO glad someone took the margarine option for flora though...!!

Wow What a lot of pictures since I last visited your thread. some really interesting shots
just a few comments.

I really like the vibrancy of the graffiti in your colourful shot.
I like your size shot but its a shame the front gosling is not in focus.
I like the forgotten gravestones shot too and your stone arches.
and the Active shot lacks a point of interest I think a closer in shot of some of the players would have been better.

Thank you for all your comments. They are playing Aussie Rules Football every Saturday, so I guess I should go there again with a longer and faster lens...

Hi Bernard. The Activity shot feels like it is trying to be two things at once. Minus the players it would be a great landscape shot, but, as has been mentioned above, the players are a bit lost with that background. Looks like you'll get the chance for a reshoot though.

Life - the stage needs a slight straighten and a bit of a crop to remove the distracting barrier at the front of the frame. Could you have got more central so you wouldn't have the arcs top left and right. A couple of little tweaks will turn this from an ok pic to a strong pic with a story to tell.

I think Jill is on the money regarding straightening and cropping out the barrier to technically improve the shot.
Though, as you are getting the backs of most people in the crowd, it doesn't make for the most interactive image.

I may have concentrated on the chap at the front in the pork pie, or the group bottom right.

Hi Bernd. Yes, I think a square crop to mimic the screen which would not only remove the roof tarp but also the barrier. That would then leave "pork pie" looking away almost in exclusive opposition to the rest of the audience looking stage-wards.

HI bernd I agree with all of the above comments about straightening and cropping the image. But a good image for the subject certainly a lot of life in there.

Thank you for your helpful comments. I've straightened and re-cropped the picture. I couldn't quite get it to a square crop because even more important than the "pork pie" is Midge Ure :cool:

just people doing Life ... I like it.

Hidden is good but I'm not sure you're focussed on the bird, if that was your intention. Manual focus needed?

Thank you for all your comments!

Hidden is good but I'm not sure you're focussed on the bird, if that was your intention. Manual focus needed?
I'm not sure either... in my original file the bird looks kind of sharp-ish.

That works nicely for the theme Bernd - sad forlorn figure. b&w suits the nature of the image.

Back