weekly blakesters 52 for 2013 Finally Complete! Last 3 weeks added

Cheers Chris (y)

Thanks Andy, I am still a bit meh about sleek, another theme which didn't inspire me and it was very much a post and be damned as we have come to term it :LOL:

I don't actually live in London Andy, I am 60miles away from the City.
I should really get out more but I do a $h1t load of travelling during the week that some weekends I can't really be arsed :LOL:
Take yesterday for example, I started work in the City, went down to south London in the morning, back into the City around midday, west London early afternoon then up to Manchester and back last night. A grand total of an 19 hour working day.

I do understand what you are saying though mate, my 52 this year has consisted of a lot of still life shots.
That'll be my New Year resolution, to get out more with the camera :D

19 hours...eeekkk.

Slipped my mind that you don't live in London, and a 120 mile round trip Is a haul after 19 hour day.

Definitely the third one for me Iain.
May i ask...... what on earth are they?
... and how did you light them?

Great image, as usual.

Thanks Alan, and as Andy said they are slinkies, coiled round on themselves. Let me tell you what a faff that was to get them to stay in place :LOL:

Also, i assume they are lying flat on a black card??

Yes lying flat on black card, camera on a tripod straight down on them.
Off camera flash which was above them as you look at the frame, the flash was pointing upwards with a 45 degree angle with the little bounce card raised.
IIRC, the flash power was 1/64, camera on f8 @ 125th which in itself would darken the scene which helps with the black background which needed very little pp to tidy it up a little.
Hope that helps Alan, cheers (y)

Hi Iain
I actually quite like sleek simple (though I suspect not simple to catch)

Nice slinkys too reminds me of spirograph used to spend hours doing them when I was young, anyway well lit and very colourful
what more could you ask for (y)

Hi Iain
I actually quite like sleek simple (though I suspect not simple to catch)

Nice slinkys too reminds me of spirograph used to spend hours doing them when I was young, anyway well lit and very colourful
what more could you ask for (y)

Thanks Allan,
I am still unsure about sleek myself, post and be damned and all that ;)

Cheers

Hey - sleek is fine, both theme wise and shot wise.. echo the coudln;t have been easy, either that or a lucky first time shot that you couldn;t do again if you tried... ;) 1/15th sec eh! good panning there.

Slinkies are great - black BG is perfect, third for me purely for the intricacies of getting the coils entwined around each other. Any that make it into our house last about half an hour before getting tangled... although not as beautifully and perfectly as yours are!

Hi ya Iain

Color...ohhh difficult choice there...thinks it's #2 for me probably because it's the simplest layout , really effective colors against a perfect black bg (y)

Sleek......excellent panning there :clap:like the framing & muted bg colors

Almost at the end of another 52...don't time fly when you're havin fun :D ( & working far too many hours ! )

Sleek is just Brilliant - like a still from a film or an advert, I could just see that on a billboard Iain. Well done.

Colour, I think I prefer the single one then I look at the 3 in a line and I like that and then I look at the 3 in a triangle and oh, my head hurts! - they are super colours and the black bg is wonderful, I'm running out of superlatives for you Iain! :clap:

Also: I just wanted to say:
Maybe you could add a misses paper clip, and they could go on adventures?
I claim full credit for your "office affair" story board! :LOL:

Hey - sleek is fine, both theme wise and shot wise.. echo the coudln;t have been easy, either that or a lucky first time shot that you couldn;t do again if you tried... ;) 1/15th sec eh! good panning there.

Slinkies are great - black BG is perfect, third for me purely for the intricacies of getting the coils entwined around each other. Any that make it into our house last about half an hour before getting tangled... although not as beautifully and perfectly as yours are!

Thanks Graham, sleek took quite a few goes to get the shot. I should be so lucky, on the first shot:LOL:
The slinkies required a delicate touch, took a while to set them up, I'd get one done then try and link the next and they would disconnect and spring back!

Hi ya Iain

Color...ohhh difficult choice there...thinks it's #2 for me probably because it's the simplest layout , really effective colors against a perfect black bg (y)

Sleek......excellent panning there :clap:like the framing & muted bg colors

Almost at the end of another 52...don't time fly when you're havin fun :D ( & working far too many hours ! )

Thanks Lynne :D
Yes nearly at the end, I feel I am running out of steam on this but I will finish, might just not be this year though:)

Sleek is just Brilliant - like a still from a film or an advert, I could just see that on a billboard Iain. Well done.

Colour, I think I prefer the single one then I look at the 3 in a line and I like that and then I look at the 3 in a triangle and oh, my head hurts! - they are super colours and the black bg is wonderful, I'm running out of superlatives for you Iain! :clap:

Also: I just wanted to say:
I claim full credit for your "office affair" story board! :LOL:

Cheers Brian (y)
Funny you mention about sleek looking like a still from a film, I processed this through a picasa preset of CinemaScope, so it works :LOL:

Fair enough on office affair ;)

Hello Iain, Just popped in to ask if you are upside down yet? - will you be back before the end?

Hi Iain
Friendship - a lot has been said on images #1 and 2 and I think that I agree with other Alan about the figures adorning and adding to the scenes rather than being the subjects in themselves. Nicely set up and exposed. You have a good eye for the type of shot that people like to see of their special day - although a bit soppy for me :D
The paper clips storyboard is up to your usual high standard and always brings cheer.

Sleek - is that a composite? It is on theme but something is lacking - but cannot put my finger on it. I like the crop the position of the dart and the colours.

Colour - all good shots with vibrant strong colours on excellent b/g. Not sure which i prefer, partic as scrolling down to see them 'together' sends my eyes doolally. o_O Probably #2

Hello Iain, Just popped in to ask if you are upside down yet? - will you be back before the end?

Yes Brian, currently down under, won't be back until mid January. I may have to finish the 52 a few weeks late. Not really inspired by fantasy though.

Hi Iain
Friendship - a lot has been said on images #1 and 2 and I think that I agree with other Alan about the figures adorning and adding to the scenes rather than being the subjects in themselves. Nicely set up and exposed. You have a good eye for the type of shot that people like to see of their special day - although a bit soppy for me :D
The paper clips storyboard is up to your usual high standard and always brings cheer.

Sleek - is that a composite? It is on theme but something is lacking - but cannot put my finger on it. I like the crop the position of the dart and the colours.

Colour - all good shots with vibrant strong colours on excellent b/g. Not sure which i prefer, partic as scrolling down to see them 'together' sends my eyes doolally. o_O Probably #2

Thanks Allan, limited response, I am on my phone for this reply.
Sleek isn't a composite, beyond my pp skills. It was another post and be damned, wasn't really sure about it.
Yes those slinkies do play havoc with the eyes don't they?

currently down under, won't be back until mid January.

Thanks Allan, limited response, I am on my phone for this reply.
Sleek isn't a composite, beyond my pp skills. It was another post and be damned, wasn't really sure about it.
Yes those slinkies do play havoc with the eyes don't they?

Hope you are having a good time away from our high winds.

Sleek - if that is not a composite then I am truly impressed - and on second thoughts/looking I think that it is rather good.

Given that it was taken 'conventionally', sleek works for me. Nice idea, the plane is crisp, and there's a nice sense of movement. A bit of interest in the sky would improve it, but there's not much of that about at this time of year.

Can't pick a favourite colour shot, the vivid colour against the dark background is strong, and all three compositions work well.

Hope you are having a good time away from our high winds.

Sleek - if that is not a composite then I am truly impressed - and on second thoughts/looking I think that it is rather good.

Thanks Alan,
Having a great time down under.
Apologies for not replying sooner.
I am on my phone with this and the internet connection at our hotel isn't brilliant.

Given that it was taken 'conventionally', sleek works for me. Nice idea, the plane is crisp, and there's a nice sense of movement. A bit of interest in the sky would improve it, but there's not much of that about at this time of year.

Can't pick a favourite colour shot, the vivid colour against the dark background is strong, and all three compositions work well.

Thanks Nick, much appreciated

We're waiting.....:whistle:

:LOL:

I have taken the shots for the themes but as I mentioned, I am on my phone so very limited.

I can't access flickr but have no means of editing anyway. My 52 will have to wait until January to be finished.

Hi Iain, sorry I haven't popped in for a while.

Sleek, Very good I thought. Can't think of anything to make it better than it is.
Colour, very cool effect when scrolling! I like them all but it would be number 3 or number 1 for me.

Thanks Michael, no worries

Love the colour one. The single slinky image is breathtakingly minimalist.

I really like the smallness of the people in the wedding style shots; actually makes the emotional content much more intimate. But I love a cheap gag, me, so I'm gong for the two paperclips humping.

High standard as always across the year.

Thanks Tony (y)

Just to let everyone know I am still around, I have my finishing shots in the bag (I think) but won't be able to do anything with them until I get back on 10th January.
I am still undecided in this years 52, I think I will take the shots for the themes and see how it goes before starting a dedicated thread.
I want to have a go at the POTY 2014 so will see how things go.

All the best from down under

Hi Iain :)

Sleek - Wondering if that is 'Caught in Flight' or Staged !!! - Very effective all the same which ever way you did it (y)

Colour - Wow... they are colourful !!!, Great lighting and Super Blacks as usual, all 3 are very nice, and struggling to think which I prefer :thinking: .... going to choose no: 2 :)

I fully understand about your travel mate, it's the worst part of my day too, I have a 3hr 140m round trip every day and it really takes it out of you, especially this time of year with hours of headlights in your eyes

Not far to go now mate !!!!

Last edited:

Sleek - Wondering if that is 'Caught in Flight' or Staged !!! - Very effective all the same which ever way you did it (y)

Colour - Wow... they are colourful !!!, Great lighting and Super Blacks as usual, all 3 are very nice, and struggling to think which I prefer :thinking: .... going to choose no: 2 :)

I fully understand about your travel mate, it's the worst part of my day too, I have a 3hr 140m round trip every day and it really takes it out of you, especially this time of year with hours of headlights in your eyes

Not far to go now mate !!!!

Thanks Dean, finally home and able to get on my computer to reply to you, so much better than a little iPhone screen.

mmm - home tomorrow with the goodies?

Thanks Allan but don't hold your breath for goodies, as you will see below, I have managed to complete my 52 for 2013.

Well better late than never.
Below are my final images for the 52 of 2013.
All with a similar feel to them but that was the circumstances I found myself in.
I didn't want to take myself away for photography so I managed to get these as we spent our family time together.

C&C not expected, I am just happy to finish this before I embark on this years.
Thanks for looking

Week 50 - Fantasy
More of a record shot from the day we visited a sand sculpture display

Week 50 - Fantasy
by iain blake, on Flickr

Week 51 - Fit
My thinking behind this was "Don't fit in, choose to be different"

Week 51 - Fit
by iain blake, on Flickr

Week 52 - Water
Self explanatory I think, this was a long exposure under St Kilda Pier, not far from Melbourne City

Week 52 -Water
by iain blake, on Flickr

Cracking finish, Iain.

Fantasy is superb. The sky really fits the theme.

Now, get on with Line :D

Cheers and congratulations on a brilliant year.

Thanks Andy, and particular thanks for all your comments and critique throughout the year (y)

I have been going through my shots from my holiday for a line one, it would probably need a little crowbar action or simply a straightforward, nothing fancy shot just to get me underway.

Great finish Iain. :pve the sky in the fantasy pic, it really adds to it. Well done on a great year.

Thanks Michael (y)

Must agree - 3 great shots to finish with, some interesting colours in water, like the DoF and letterbox crop on Fit, cracking shells too, as for Fantasy what a great Sculpture, glad you finished mate, a cracking year of images :clap:

Thanks Dean (y)
I am surprised at the response to Fantasy, I thought it a simple record shot of some fantastic sculpture albeit.

Hi Iain
Yes, have to agree a good finish with very strong images. Beautiful colours in all , super compositions and appropriate crops. Fantasy is particularly striking

Thanks Alan (y)
Your kind comments are much appreciated.

Hi Iain

As above good finish to a good year, look forward to seeing this years

Thanks Allan (y)
I need to get my bum in gear and get the year started.

Good to have you back Iain , hope you had a brilliant time (y)

Super finish to your challenge...the sand sculpture is pretty impressive..no crit for any just a mahooooosive congrats on a great year of photos :clap:

Thanks Lynne, yes, had a great time its quite a country Australia.
The sand sculptures were something else Lynne, my photograph doesn't really do it justice, standing beside them, they were very impressive.

yay - finished.

super work through the year Iain, the great work with te forks, eggs and wire - balanced nicely with stunning outside shots. Kings Cross, London, and your coastal curve.

Nice three to finish on too. Fantasy for me too - although the vignette seems a bit heavy - esp in the top right where it hits the tower top.

Already cracking on with 2014 too.

So is POTY an "as well" or an "instead of" for you this year?

yay - finished.

super work through the year Iain, the great work with te forks, eggs and wire - balanced nicely with stunning outside shots. Kings Cross, London, and your coastal curve.

Nice three to finish on too. Fantasy for me too - although the vignette seems a bit heavy - esp in the top right where it hits the tower top.

Already cracking on with 2014 too.

So is POTY an "as well" or an "instead of" for you this year?

Thanks Graham (y)

POTY is an 'as well' this year………I think :D

Wow! - they were worth the wait. All 3 are fantastic. Congratulations on completing the '52 Iain, may I say it has been a pleasure and an inspiration for me to share this '52 with you, see you in Norfolk buddie, all the best. :cow:

Wow! - they were worth the wait. All 3 are fantastic. Congratulations on completing the '52 Iain, may I say it has been a pleasure and an inspiration for me to share this '52 with you, see you in Norfolk buddie, all the best. :cow:

Wow, thank you for your kind comments @Brian_of_Bozeat.
It has been a pleasure for me too Brian, I enjoyed your wit and humour through the 52 and I will see you in Norfolk.

Hey Iain,

It’s time I put the 2013 52’s to bed before I really get to grips with this years! You’ve put up some amazing shots this year and it’s been a pleasure to follow along and see knew themes emerging. Paperclips, forks, shells, wedding photography, ice cubes, paper planes, slinky toys and the pebble feet did manage to sneak in on occasion!

Glad you’re in for another year :clap:

Although if you’re taking part in the POTY I think I’ll not bother ;)

Cheers.

Hey Iain,

It’s time I put the 2013 52’s to bed before I really get to grips with this years! You’ve put up some amazing shots this year and it’s been a pleasure to follow along and see knew themes emerging. Paperclips, forks, shells, wedding photography, ice cubes, paper planes, slinky toys and the pebble feet did manage to sneak in on occasion!

Glad you’re in for another year :clap:

Although if you’re taking part in the POTY I think I’ll not bother ;)

Cheers.

Thanks Marsha, I decided to give it another go, weekends wouldn't be the same without looking forward to a new theme.
Don't sell yourself short, you did well in last years POTY and I am sure you will this year too.

Just think of all the time you can devote to your photography now you are a Lady of Leisure ;)

Back