Boats - an open thread

"Harbour At High Tide"

IMG_4142.jpeg

Very different from the usual shot. Thanks for sharing it.
I've experienced this place twice and it never fails to be a moving experience. Seeing bodies being transported down to the Ganges where they are then cremated, certainly stays with you. The light was poor, I'd already dropped my D7000 in a river, hoped to come away with something reasonable. Visited Nepal afterwards; two weeks after we'd returned home, they had a massive earthquake centered around where we were staying. Fate!
India and Nepal-9866.jpg

A small selection from a recent cruise to the Norwegian Fjords. First up is a typical fishing boat setting off to catch dinner.
fishing boat.jpg

Next is an FPSO, or Floating Production, Storage and Offloading vessel, destined for the Penguins oil & gas field NE of the Shetland Islands. She will be connected to eight wells that were first developed in the early 2000's. Production is scheduled to re-start in 2024.
fpso.jpg

Finally, a close-up of the FPSO's life boat. It must be one hell of a ride once the release is pressed.
life boat.jpg

Anyone else up for sharing photos of boats? On the rivers, on the sea, on a lake, under way, moored up, even in dry dock. And, if that's all you've got, even in your bath...

Edit
Silly me. I left out canals. So, um... whatever floats your boat.

Four Boats by Garry Knight, on Flickr
Anyone else up for sharing photos of boats? On the rivers, on the sea, on a lake, under way, moored up, even in dry dock. And, if that's all you've got, even in your bath...

Edit
Silly me. I left out canals. So, um... whatever floats your boat.

Four Boats by Garry Knight, on Flickr

A small selection from a recent cruise to the Norwegian Fjords. First up is a typical fishing boat setting off to catch dinner.
View attachment 404284

Next is an FPSO, or Floating Production, Storage and Offloading vessel, destined for the Penguins oil & gas field NE of the Shetland Islands. She will be connected to eight wells that were first developed in the early 2000's. Production is scheduled to re-start in 2024.
View attachment 404285

Finally, a close-up of the FPSO's life boat. It must be one hell of a ride once the release is pressed.
View attachment 404286
Quote "Finally, a close-up of the FPSO's life boat. It must be one hell of a ride once the release is pressed."

Apparently it is. I met someone who had been on the training course for their use a few years ago. It involves strapping yourself into the seat with a full harness, which is virtually the same as that worn by a fighter pilot, with the addition of a very strong head band which presses your head tightly against the head rest. The head band is vital because without it your neck gets broken.

Having done the course he commented to me that once was enough and hoped that he never had to do it again.

Back